IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Registry Defrag On Win 8 Running Under BIOS

As those of us who use the Registray Defrag feature in ASC Pro know when you do a restart after ASC Pro tells you that you need to defrag the Windows Registry you can see the a quick flash of the results during the defrag process before Windows starts.

All the defragged areas are saying success except for one "fail". "boot/bcd failed on this computer" (boot cofiguration data)

This error message occurred both before and after a very recent fresh install of Windows 8.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know about fixing the the bcd file with bootrec.exe however I don't think the bcd is corrupted since the W8 install is only a couple of days old and the computer is not experiencing any boot problems.

Hi Buddahfan

Firstly, I wonder why you even use Registry Defrag. I honestly do not see any gain in doing so, as the registry is so small, that defragging will make not noticable difference to pc operation, while still running the risk of doing damage by defragging such a sensitive area.

As for the bcd fail. It may simply have been unable to move the file to a contiguous area, or else it saw it as a system file which it deemed should not be moved. More likely though it just was unable to find an area capable of making the file continuous so it did not move it.

Hi Buddahfan,

Could you please let us know if there is other issue when boot/bcd failed on this computer so that we can look into it?

Thank you in advance.

I have not noticed any. The one thing I do not recall is if you get the same result when doing a registry drag on a W8-Pro system running under EUFI? Next time my EUFI computer does a ASC instructed registry defrag I will try and remember to look, it goes by so fast, and post back what it says.

Hi Buddahfan

Firstly, I wonder why you even use Registry Defrag. I honestly do not see any gain in doing so, as the registry is so small, that defragging will make not noticable difference to pc operation, while still running the risk of doing damage by defragging such a sensitive area.

As for the bcd fail. It may simply have been unable to move the file to a contiguous area, or else it saw it as a system file which it deemed should not be moved. More likely though it just was unable to find an area capable of making the file continuous so it did not move it.

I use it for the same reason I do not use the "Paranoid" mode in BD W8 Security. Hope that answers your question. If it didn't when then think about it. I am sure you will get it.:smile:

Archived