IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Dcom

garybear

Could use some help on this. Is this some thing to worry about? I get a lot of these DCOM errors. The net wasn't very helpful in my search. I did a chkdsk and a system check and they were both good, no problems. All up dates are good. Windows XP3, DSL, Dell PC. PC running real good, but I'm a worry rat. I check events log often and try to stay on top of all warnings and errors.Thanks.[garybear]

Hi gary

I am wondering if this "error" is generated when you do not have your macruim disk attached to the computer, or if that connection isn't allowed security-wise??

Like samr I do not think it is a severe problem

DCOM means Distributed Component Object Model

Cheers

solbjerg

Could use some help on this. Is this some thing to worry about? I get a lot of these DCOM errors. The net wasn't very helpful in my search. I did a chkdsk and a system check and they were both good, no problems. All up dates are good. Windows XP3, DSL, Dell PC. PC running real good, but I'm a worry rat. I check events log often and try to stay on top of all warnings and errors.Thanks.[garybear]

Thanks

Thanks for your posts samr and solbjerg. I read on the net that this DCOM was bad news and could allow a virus to get in. It was recommended to disable it, so I did. Will post back later with results or if any thing stopped working on PC, or if I find it has any use for me. I also will check event log to see if I get any more errors. Thanks guys, your posts are always helpful and I appreciate you both. [garybear]

Hello Gary,

I did a Yahoo search by just putting in DCOM. The 1st selection was for pcperformanceclinic.com. It said if you have DCOM errors you have a bloated or corrupted windows registry that needs to be cleaned and optimized immediately.

Hi garybear,

It is Universal Plug & Play Device Host which is for using plug & play devices on a network service.According to your error message, this not starting is what is causing your DCOM to error (your upnphost seems to be disabled as is mine).

"Event ID - 10005

Description - DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to run the server: {204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56} "

From what I have read, this could be from Media Player using DCOM to try to start upnphost, and since that service is disabled it causes DCOM to error. This is really no problem and seems to be the recommended setting. However, it will show up as an error in event log.I would just disregard the errors

samr..

Thanks

Thanks to everyone. I haven't got a DCOM error since I disabled it.Mongoose my registry is so clean it squeaks. I have 3 registry cleaners,regseeker,eusing,ccleaner,and asc3. I f gets any cleaner there won't be any thing left(lol), but thanks for your post. Thanks to everyone. I haven't seen any problems with it disabled, so I'm going to leave it that way for now.Live well my friends. PS.It could very well be some thing to do with Media Player. My wife gets a lot of emails that need Media Player, and some times it won't open them for some reason. I'll check that out samr.[garybear]

Hi gary

Sounds good!

About Windows Media Player, try checking the security settings there and the supported file formats.

What does the dxdiag in Run tell you about the functioning of your sound and video?

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks sunny.I have run a chkdsk and scannow.Its all cool and checks out good, no problems. Thanks for your post.Live well my friend.[garybear]

You are to cool

Hi solbjerg. You are to cool. I spent an hour in dxdiag. What a cool tool. How can one person have so much knowledge. You are constantly amazing me every time you post. You have taught me so much in the last few months and you are greatly appreciated. Live well my friend and my hero.[garybear] Sorry, didn't understand about what you were telling me to check in Windows Media Player.

Hi gary

I find dxdiag a useful tool too!!

If you take a look in my post about Useful commands in Usage of IObit Products you will find several commands that I find useful.

About WMP (Windows Media Player) the first thing I usually do after opening a program is to check Tools/Properties - in WMP properties there are a lot of tabs to check - one of those is what extensions the program supports, - another is security where you can choose the security settings you prefer (those that doesn't interfere too much with the files your wife is trying to run). :-)

Also check the security settings in your mail program - the default settings there is usually to exclude the showing of pictures and the like.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg. You are to cool. I spent an hour in dxdiag. What a cool tool. How can one person have so much knowledge. You are constantly amazing me every time you post. You have taught me so much in the last few months and you are greatly appreciated. Live well my friend and my hero.[garybear] Sorry, didn't understand about what you were telling me to check in Windows Media Player.

Nice Call

Nice call samr on the DCOM error. It is diffidently caused by Windows Media Player; however I can't see any problems with having it disabled so far. The player seems to work just fine and have not seen any thing having a problem so far. I think when my wife gets email that calls for Player, it gives error for some dumb reason. I'll wait for one of you brains to figure that out(lol).Live well my friends.PS It gave you guys some thing to think about (lol)[garybear]PS even with it disabled ,you still get the xxxx error message.

Hi, solbjerg,

Thanks from me too for the dxdiag reference, It sure looks a useful tool.

A WMP question: Do you know if it's possible to create WMP Playlists within Playlists? I have lots of individual WMP Playlists that I'd like to nest into one. I could move all the files into one Playlist and rename each individual file with a sortable suffix, but that would be a bit messy.

Hi Ted

I'll try to look into the WMP question. I used to dapple in creating sound and music files, but it is a long time ago and I need a refreshing course. :-)

But I would like to know precisely what you want to do - could you describe an example?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, solbjerg,

Thanks from me too for the dxdiag reference, It sure looks a useful tool.

A WMP question: Do you know if it's possible to create WMP Playlists within Playlists? I have lots of individual WMP Playlists that I'd like to nest into one. I could move all the files into one Playlist and rename each individual file with a sortable suffix, but that would be a bit messy.

Hi, solbjerg,

could you describe an example?

Okay. In my list of Playlists I have: American Idol, America Has Talent, NZ Has Talent, Britain Has Talent and Homai Te PakiPaki. I'd like to put those five Playlists into one and name it: Talent Shows.

As I said before, I could transfer the files from each Playlist into one folder and rename each individual file with a sortable prefix, eg: AHT, AI, NZHT, BHT and HTPP, ( AHT.America Has Talent ) but there must be a better way.

Hi Ted

As far as I remember the automatic playlists can be govern by the classification -

4 stars go automatically to the automatic playlist you create?

Try to search for playlists in the Help in WMP

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, solbjerg,

Okay. In my list of Playlists I have: American Idol, America Has Talent, NZ Has Talent, Britain Has Talent and Homai Te PakiPaki. I'd like to put those five Playlists into one and name it: Talent Shows.

As I said before, I could transfer the files from each Playlist into one folder and rename each individual file with a sortable prefix, eg: AHT, AI, NZHT, BHT and HTPP, ( AHT.America Has Talent ) but there must be a better way.

I'd say no. Microsoft supposedly corrected the DCOM security issue in Win XP SP2. (I say supposedly because all I'm going on is memory...haven't been able to find a quick reference.) If you want to read a little more about it, see Steve Gibson's page here. He also has a utiliy you can use to test your vulnerability and even turn off DCOM if you want.

You'r right JustDave

This thread is discussing more than on topic, so it is not immediately clear what to answer to, - as you are pointing out! :-)

It is very nice that many are thinking about samr's post about this, but sometimes it will be easier with a new thread.

I myself is not too good at this - but let's try all of us, right!

You are a valuable contributor in the forum!!

A thinking person -that I appreciate!

Cheers

solbjerg

I'd say no. Microsoft supposedly corrected the DCOM security issue in Win XP SP2. (I say supposedly because all I'm going on is memory...haven't been able to find a quick reference.) If you want to read a little more about it, see Steve Gibson's page here. He also has a utiliy you can use to test your vulnerability and even turn off DCOM if you want.

Archived