IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

How I uninstall a program

garybear

This is how I uninstall a program. This is not for newbies unless you have a back up image of your OS. First I find the program I want in Revo uninstaller. After Revo does its thing, I use CCleaner Registry cleaner. This is good enough for most people but not for me. Then I use Eusing Free regcleaner. Next RegSeeker, and then ASC3. They all have back ups except Revo, so no big problem here. It might be a good idea to run all these registry cleaners before you start uninstalling the program you don't want any longer . That way you will know what shows up are items of the program you are uninstalling. This is where most people stop, but not me( Mr. clean).The rest is where you only have the backup image of your OS to protect you, so use some sense from here. I use the Find in registry feature in RegSeeker to find more left overs. Usually only find two or three here, and they are backed up by RegSeeker. The last thing and the place to get in trouble is the registry so stop here or be very cautious. Click on run and type regedit which opens your registry. Use the Find feature here just like you did with RegSeeker. No back ups here, so make damn sure you know what your deleting . Keep hitting F3 until you are satisfied that you have have every thing that pertains to the program you are installing . If there is any thing left after this , it will just have to stay. Some people say why not just go back to an earlier restore point. That is not always possible. I have a hard time explaining things so please feel free to add to this thread and correct or make thing easier for others to understand. Live well my friends.{garybear}PS Comments welcomed.

Click on run and type regedit which opens your registry. Use the Find feature here just like you did with RegSeeker. No back ups here, so make damn sure you know what your deleting . {garybear}PS Comments welcomed.

Hi garybear,

FYI, when you right click on the registery items on the left pane, you will see "Export" option on the menu. Clicking that, you can copy that registery item with whatever name you like, and wherever you like, so, after deleting the original Registry entry you can double click that saved registry to put it back where it belongs later if you wish.

This is also a backup possibility.:idea:

Cheers my friend. :-D

garybear- Thank you for calling attention to the amount of junk and no longer used registry values left after a program is uninstalled! The other day I uninstalled a Windows Vista Tweaking program called Tweak VI which is very similar to Tweak UI for XP and you are right about how its not enough just to use Revo for a clean uninstall. I use ASC Regristry Fix plus MV Reg Clean which finds well over 2X as many abandoned registry values as the CCleaner Tool does. This is what MV RegClean freeware found after Revo was finished uninstalling Tweak VI...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/TweakVIUninstall-1.png

~Maxx~

A good and helpful guide, Gary.

Personally, I let Revo do its stuff, then let RegSeeker search the Registry for leftovers. I find it does pay to scrutinise every entry RegSeeker finds that doesn't display the target in bold type, though. (If you click the file it will open the Registry key). Finally, I check the Program files and Startup folder for undeleted folders. Not perfect, but good enough, I reckon.

This is how I uninstall a program. This is not for newbies unless you have a back up image of your OS. First I find the program I want in Revo uninstaller. After Revo does its thing, I use C Cleaner Registry cleaner. This is good enough for most people but not for me. Then I use Using Free reg cleaner. Next Reg Seeker, and then ASC3. They all have back ups except Revo, so no big problem here. It might be a good idea to run all these registry cleaners before you start uninstalling the program you don't want any longer . That way you will know what shows up are items of the program you are uninstalling. This is where most people stop, but not me( Mr. clean).The rest is where you only have the backup image of your OS to protect you, so use some sense from here. I use the Find in registry feature in Reg Seeker to find more left overs. Usually only find two or three here, and they are backed up by Reg Seeker. The last thing and the place to get in trouble is the registry so stop here or be very cautious. Click on run and type reg edit which opens your registry. Use the Find feature here just like you did with Reg Seeker. No back ups here, so make damn sure you know what your deleting . Keep hitting F3 until you are satisfied that you have have every thing that pertains to the program you are installing . If there is any thing left after this , it will just have to stay. Some people say why not just go back to an earlier restore point. That is not always possible. I have a hard time explaining things so please feel free to add to this thread and correct or make thing easier for others to understand. Live well my friends.{garybear}PS Comments welcomed.

very nice SIR WE need more OF THIS, type OF POSTS --GIVE you 15 out of 10----

STILL think YU is better -when this program cleans-it cleans --not 1 byte left be hide on the drive!

your uninstaller would be a very close 2nd

but thy are not free and that is perhaps why

itsmejjj

Hi garybear, thanks for the info :-)

They all have back ups except Revo

Revo does do a backup to the Windows XP System Restore, it is even called a Revo Uninstaller AppName restore point.

I do basically the same as you and I would add I also use Everything Search to look for leftover folders etc, it even finds Prefetch items.

The beauty of Everything Search is that it shows everything, then as you type the search word the list gets shorter and shorter.

Super fast and can be set to exit RAM and HardDrive when finished, this is great if you rarely use Search 8-)

All the best, woz of oz

Very nice posts

Hi friends. Very nice posts from all and thank you.Have some questions and some comments. First, sunny you said you uninstall with Ccleaner. I didn't know I could do that and is it as good as Revo. I'm glad you like RegSeeker, I've used it for years with no bad effects I know of. Thank you for your kind words jjj. I checked your program YU and found it a little pricey for me at this time. I guess 2nd will be good enough for now. 15 out of 10 is pretty good rating, thank you sir. Thanks Ted for your comment. I completely for got about doing a search for left over files and folders which is very important when uninstalling a program. Thank you my friend Ted. Good illustration Maxx and nice screen prints. I may give your registry cleaner a shot some day, but for now I like my RegSeeker. I trust if and know how it works. Now for my friend enoskype who I can always count on for great information. What a great tip to use with Regedit. You can bet the farm I'll use that in the future. Some times I find some thing I'm not sure I should delete in the registry. What a great way of saving it it case I shouldn't have deleted it. Live well my friends and a big thank you for your comments. Once again you all made my day.{garybear}

Archived