IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Generally slow PC now even slower

ricko61

Hi Guys, just joined.

Not sure if this is the place for this, but... My PC has been slowing down for ages. Initially I installed the free version of ASC, which didn't seem to make an awful lot of difference if I'm honest. I recently had a message to say that there were around 800 registry errors that wouldn't be fixed with the free version, so I upgraded to ASCpro. This said that all the errors were now cleaned up but it made no difference to the speed, in fact it's getting worst. It now does a disccheck thing (sorry I'm a bit of a ludite) every time I switch it on, can take 20 seconds just to minimise or maximise a screen, takes about 3 minutes just to populate the desktop with icons and this morning is saying that it can't open outlook express

I've always put slow running down to spyware and adware, but I've got a couple of applications in addition to ASC and they all report no problems.

I must admit the pc is knocking on a bit and only has 512Mb of RAM - is it time it went? I'd appreciate any advice before I shell out a few sheckles please.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ricko

What are your settings please, - AND have you placed anything in the Ignore list - especially from System Optimize "repair"?

Have you read Usage of IObit Products in the Lounge section?

Cheers

solbjerg

BTW: welcome to the forum :-)

p.s.What version are you using? 3.4.1??

Hi Guys, just joined.

Not sure if this is the place for this, but... My PC has been slowing down for ages. Initially I installed the free version of ASC, which didn't seem to make an awful lot of difference if I'm honest. I recently had a message to say that there were around 800 registry errors that wouldn't be fixed with the free version, so I upgraded to ASCpro. This said that all the errors were now cleaned up but it made no difference to the speed, in fact it's getting worst. It now does a disccheck thing (sorry I'm a bit of a ludite) every time I switch it on, can take 20 seconds just to minimise or maximise a screen, takes about 3 minutes just to populate the desktop with icons and this morning is saying that it can't open outlook express

I've always put slow running down to spyware and adware, but I've got a couple of applications in addition to ASC and they all report no problems.

I must admit the pc is knocking on a bit and only has 512Mb of RAM - is it time it went? I'd appreciate any advice before I shell out a few sheckles please.

Thanks Solbjerg. I haven't read the usage bit, I'll do it in a minute. For info my settings are as follows:-

Registry Fix

All "scan for" items are checked, also Enable deep scan.

Scan For

Everything I've got is checked.

Junk Files Clean

Windows Temp Files, IE Temp Files and Delete Windows Temp Files are checked.

The Ignore list is empty.

Cheers

Ricko.

Hi ricko

I added a p.s. in the former post to you asking what version you are using

The newest is 3.4.1 that fixed some issues in 3.4.0

But as you have nothing in your Ignore list, I think that could be the problem.

The System Optimize tries to use as few resources as possible and that means for the average user, that to place some functions in the ignore list is a good idea.

Therefore I think that a totally clean install should be tried - you can read about the procedure for a clean install in the thread mentioned before.

Try following it to the letter.

And be sure that you have your registration data in the mail you got from Iobit or in a file somewhere in your computer.

See you back soon with good news I hope :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks Solbjerg. I haven't read the usage bit, I'll do it in a minute. For info my settings are as follows:-

Registry Fix

All "scan for" items are checked, also Enable deep scan.

Scan For

Everything I've got is checked.

Junk Files Clean

Windows Temp Files, IE Temp Files and Delete Windows Temp Files are checked.

The Ignore list is empty.

Cheers

Ricko.

Hi enoskype

Perhaps a little bit, unless the disk is totally full and severely fragmented

Otherwise I feel that it probably is due to an empty ignore list- especially with regards to System Optimize.

But it is worth bearing that possibility in mind too, I think :-)

Let's see if ricko comes back with good news :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

Can part of the slowness be attributed to fragmentation, particularly the system files?

Cheers.

Thanks guys, Ah, right, I've got v3.4.0. I'll try the clean install way now.

It definately isn't anything to do with fragmentation (whatever that is). I've been regularly using Windows Help and Support to try and improve the speed and defragging is one thing that it does do!

Hi ricko

Yes try that! :-)

About fragmentation - this is also descibed in the thread I mentioned - and could you find out how much free space you have on your harddisk and how fragmented it is, please.

Fragmentation means that the data is split up into many pieces :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks guys, Ah, right, I've got v3.4.0. I'll try the clean install way now.

It definately isn't anything to do with fragmentation (whatever that is). I've been regularly using Windows Help and Support to try and improve the speed and defragging is one thing that it does do!

to have 800 reg entries out looks like the pc was in a sorry state, once they get that bad they are hard to get them running sharp again. I would bite the bullet and reformat and clean install the O/S & Latest Drivers/PROGRAMS.

[once done use macrium to back up]

then regularly run registry checker, registry defrag, clean up tools, and have good protection against spyware and AV infections.

Also check hardware

run chkdsk for bad sectors and check the hdd with smartdrive type software.

run memtest to check the memory

Hi ricko

The speed of a PC depends on many factors

a) Type and quality of CPU (e.g. Dual-Core)

b) CPU Clock speed in Ghz.

c) Size of Central-Memory (RAM) in Mb or Gb. Size of cach memory.

d) Free space and Speed Of HARD-Disk.

e) Virtual memory size (swap file)

f) state of data on Hard-disk (fragmentation ?)

g) Start-up programs (services) running continuasly in RAM.

h) Any virus, spywares running?

i) Operating System (XP,Vista...)

j) Age of PC

You supplied info only for RAM (500Mb)

and its really small for today's programs

cheers

:x:x:x Now i've got real problems.

I mentioned earlier that I couldn't open Outlook Express (it was fine yesterday). I can't access my emails and therefore can't get to my license details for ASC (I haven't uninstalled yet). I've tried all the Windows Help stuff to get OE back but nothing works. I just keep getting a message saying "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window".

I must admit I'm getting desparate - the hard reset options looks attractive at the moment.

ricko 61

if you go for reinstall

make sure you can account for for all the drivers you need to load.

all the software and any serial numbers

isp login details and any web logins

backup all private software files photos,docs, music etc

and go for it, nothing better than seeing a clean pc boot up quickly after becoming sluggish with spyware or corrupt files or both.

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. My main concern at the moment is how do I retrieve my license details without getting Outlook to work? I think I'm going to bite the bullet and spend a few evenings backing everything up then do the format thing, may be back for more advice soon.:-?

Cheers for all the help so far. Ricko

Hi ricko

If you haven't deleted the folder yet, you can copy the registration file and save it. Then place it in the file again once the new version is installed.

You can also in the programs Welcome window click on User Account and in the window that comes up click on view account details where you can see and copy your username and your license code.

(But have you tried a Windows Restore to a time before all this happened?)

Please read the suggested thread.

Available as a link in my signature http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=1979

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. My main concern at the moment is how do I retrieve my license details without getting Outlook to work? I think I'm going to bite the bullet and spend a few evenings backing everything up then do the format thing, may be back for more advice soon.:-?

Cheers for all the help so far. Ricko

The 512 mb of ram will not be helping much at all also. My sisters pc had 512 and was running slow as a glacier. Nothing I tried did any good until I upped her ram to the max she can have in her pc, 1gb and it is running much faster. The version of windows will make a huge difference also as the newer the version, the more the minimum required ram will be.

Thanks Solbjerg, I've retrieved the license code, I think I'll try the uninstall/upgrade first. To be honest I think it's probably time this thing went. It hasn't exactly got reel-to-reels whizzing round on the front but it's not far off:oops:. Wish me luck!

Sorry about the delay - been away for a week.

Right, I've uninstalled v3.4.0, run a registry cleaner (and removed ~400 files).

I've now installed v3.4.1 and have run the first scan. It has found 23 problems on the registry fix, but they all seem to be "invalid Uninstallers" I don't really know what that means, but surely there's no benefit in not cleaning them all off, which means I'll be back in the same position of having nothing in the Ignore list again.

Incidentally, the PC is still doing the discchk thing every time I switch it on.

One question and one suggestion.

Hi Ricko!

I'm sure you are shutting the PC down correctly and not just switching it off?

Jelrikj's suggestion is a good one since you have such limited RAM. Run Smartram located in the Utilities section of ASC. You may consider leaving it running in the system tray. Use deep clean and see how much RAM is freed.

Archived