IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Generally slow PC now even slower

ricko61

Aye Ricko... you are in order!!!

I regret some of what I posted that gave you offense... twas not a rant though! The frustration I often feel lies within your very own post, the assumptions that you believe we forum members embody. I have a very busy, rich, and fulfilling life away from this machine. Like you... it is only a tool for me as well. I come here and post only to share and help, as I have been helped and feel as though I should help If I'm able.

My frustration stems from within myself... (I promise to work on this)... in that I feel sometimes I'm putting more energy into or caring more about the problem than the one who sought the help!

I am learning temperament in this way! If I have offended I apologize!

Thank you for posting here!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light at the end of the tunnel

Yesterday I took the afternoon off work and delved inside the PC. Found the board, pulled it out, wrote down what was on the sticker and managed to find a similar one on ebay for under 10GBP. I'm quite excited that I'll have a whole gigabyte.

I did look at going for two larger boards but according to the manual 1Gb is the max. Of course this just means that 1GB will be the maximum that has been tested and that will have been written into the BIOS - at least thats what the bloke who sold me the memory said:lol:

Thanks for your help everyone - I appreciate most of it was off topic too. I've learnt more about using PCs in the past two weeks than I knew previously thats for sure. As soon as it arrives and is installed I'll report on the improvement (hopefully)

Hi ricko

Glad to hear it. Hopefully someone will take a look at the hijack you sent zipped :-)

In order to save some money it is a good thing to know some basics about computers, - and just to use them to write a letter or to help you save time also requires some knowledge. This takes some time to learn, but we all learn something all the time and after a long while only the more technical and difficult parts of computer knowledge is still a mystery to most of us :-) The great thing about it is that it can be fitted to your need and interest.

15 years ago I only used the computer to play chess against the machine, but then it began freezing at what I thought then was random intervals.

This made me try to find out what was the matter - and after I think 6 weeks I concluded that something must be wrong with some part of the hardware, and sure enough when I replaced the graphics with another with more memory the freezing stopped. During those 6 weeks I learned quite a bit and it started me off in my leisurely quest for more knowledge. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Yesterday I took the afternoon off work and delved inside the PC. Found the board, pulled it out, wrote down what was on the sticker and managed to find a similar one on ebay for under 10GBP. I'm quite excited that I'll have a whole gigabyte.

I did look at going for two larger boards but according to the manual 1Gb is the max. Of course this just means that 1GB will be the maximum that has been tested and that will have been written into the BIOS - at least thats what the bloke who sold me the memory said:lol:

Thanks for your help everyone - I appreciate most of it was off topic too. I've learnt more about using PCs in the past two weeks than I knew previously thats for sure. As soon as it arrives and is installed I'll report on the improvement (hopefully)

Hi ricko

Hi ricko. Good luck friend with your RAM. Do you ever read your PM's??? I sent you one but never heard back from you.--garybear

Hi Guys, just joined.

Not sure if this is the place for this, but... My PC has been slowing down for ages. Initially I installed the free version of ASC, which didn't seem to make an awful lot of difference if I'm honest. I recently had a message to say that there were around 800 registry errors that wouldn't be fixed with the free version, so I upgraded to ASCpro. This said that all the errors were now cleaned up but it made no difference to the speed, in fact it's getting worst. It now does a disccheck thing (sorry I'm a bit of a ludite) every time I switch it on, can take 20 seconds just to minimise or maximise a screen, takes about 3 minutes just to populate the desktop with icons and this morning is saying that it can't open outlook express

I've always put slow running down to spyware and adware, but I've got a couple of applications in addition to ASC and they all report no problems.

I must admit the pc is knocking on a bit and only has 512Mb of RAM - is it time it went? I'd appreciate any advice before I shell out a few sheckles please.

you'd better find what problems are that cause computer slow down. and then solve them to speed up computer. and I will share my methods with you to optimize system and speed up computer.

1.run a antivirus software to scan your computer fully.

virus usually impacts the speed of computer.

If there is no virus, see the possible reasons that make computers slow down and solutions.

2.Registry is the centre database of your computer operating system which contains information and settings for hardware, operating system software, most non-operating system software, and per-user settings. You must load the registry whenever you launch any programs on your computer. If the registry is too fat or with some errors, computer's performance will seriously be impacted. So, you need to clean up registry and fix its errors.

If you are not familiar with registry, don't remove files away from it and clean up it easily for you may delete important things that will make your computer in trouble. You'd better choose to use a professional registry cleaner,personally,I like wondershare registry optimizer,it's safe to operating system.

3.There must be too many programs start up automatically when you start your computer.Run a registry optimizer or cleaner to stop those unnecessary start-up programs.

4.Have you ever clean up your computer since you bought it? If the answer is never, I am sure that there are lots of junk files on it. Junk files is also one of reasons that will cause computer slowing down. You'd better delete them regularly.

2,3,4 can be realized by a registry optimizer.

5.If a registry optimizer doesn't work, add RAM or do a fresh reinstall of windows. Before you do a reinstall, please remember to back up.However,you should know that frequent reinstall is harm to hard disk.

6.Put programs on other drivers ,not C driver, because commonly C is for operating system. And defrag hard disks every 2 months.

Hi sports fans!!!

Here I go again getting into trouble. I'm just wondering why no one has looked at ricko's hijack log. Is he being punished for not posting soon enough. If this is why, then we need to explain this to him and be a little more courteous IMHO. If he needs to respond sooner with his posts , then lets tell him that. ----garybear PS If I'm out of line then you need to tell me that also. I'm bumping this thread uphttp://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=34525&postcount=50 http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=34745&postcount=53

Aye Garybear!

Kinda been waiting for him to get the additional memory. Negligent of me!!

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exeNMIndexStoreSvr.exe

This is a big remnant of the dvd software program that was on the system. The fact that its still here indicates incomplete uninstall.

He needs JavaRa as well.

Spyware doctor must go as well.

The Google toolbar needs to go, even if he uses it. There are a couple of processes associated with it that I've not seen before. He can get it back later if he does use it. Some do.

There is good work to be done here yet... I hope he gets his memory card and comes back!!

Thanks for the reality check Gary!!

Kinda been waiting for him to get the additional memory. Negligent of me!!

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exeNMIndexStoreSvr.exe

This is a big remnant of the dvd software program that was on the system. The fact that its still here indicates incomplete uninstall.

He needs JavaRa as well.

Spyware doctor must go as well.

The Google toolbar needs to go, even if he uses it. There are a couple of processes associated with it that I've not seen before. He can get it back later if he does use it. Some do.

There is good work to be done here yet... I hope he gets his memory card and comes back!!

Thanks for the reality check Gary!!

Thank you my friend. ricko is a little slow posting back ,but I think he is very busy with other things, Thank you for your post my friend. He has sent me a PM stating that he hoped you would not be angry with him and would continue to help him. I think he has been surprised by all the help from our members. I know he appreciates your help and maybe fells a little intimidated by all the help and maybe also this is quite new to him. Thank you my friend.---garybear

Success!!

Hi guys,

Well it's arrived and it's in. BIG DIFFERENCE!! I also found out some stuff about the startup in msconfig and have disabled a few things there as well (after googling the files to find out what did what).

Thanks for looking at the zip Mel. I might need a bit more of a steer on gettig rid of some of the stuff. Are you saying I should uninstall Spyware doctor completely?

I'll look up JavaRa. Incidentally I've got thousands and thousands of java related files and it seems to take an age when the virus checker is going through them. Is it normal to have that many?

I think we're getting there! Thanks again!

Looking good

I'll look up JavaRa. Incidentally I've got thousands and thousands of java related files and it seems to take an age when the virus checker is going through them. Is it normal to have that many?

Normal ? possibly, but JavaRA will get rid of the ones that aren't necessary :wink:

If you need JavaRA help see Posts # 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 of this Thread and Post # 44 of the same thread. EDIT: Attachments in post #39 also.

All the best, woz of oz

Hi ricko!!

Congrats on the mem card!!

Spyware doctor can stay if you like it. I only suggest that there are more effective alternatives out there! I or other forum members here have suggestions if you want them

Having Revo uninstaller as a tool is great! You can find it here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Get the free version and use it to remove the google toolbar. Chose the "advanced" option to hunt down any remnants after uninstalling. I suggest you keep revo on hand. If you have any other software on your system you aren't using clean them out as well.

Should be acting like a completely different machine!

A new zipped log report after these next steps you have taken would be nice!!

Hi ricko

Hi guys,

Well it's arrived and it's in. BIG DIFFERENCE!! I also found out some stuff about the startup in msconfig and have disabled a few things there as well (after googling the files to find out what did what).

Thanks for looking at the zip Mel. I might need a bit more of a steer on gettig rid of some of the stuff. Are you saying I should uninstall Spyware doctor completely?

I think we're getting there! Thanks again!

Hi ricko. This is what others are saying about Spyware doctor. There are freeware just as good or better but you should make your own decision. Are you running it in real time with IObit360. IMHO, you should run only one Anti-virus and one anti-malware in real time. My choose is AVG with IObit 360, and have a couple more malware to run on demand. A-squared is good Superantispyware is good. Do a search on forum and see what others recommend. ==(This is what others are saying about Spyware doctor (" Pros: 1. Does what it's supposed to.

2. Good customer support.

Cons: 1- Cannot update without going into Safe Mode + networking and updating manually

2- The program itself is a horrible resource pig. It will bring even a fast system down to its processor knees.

Summary: Good for occasional use, but too memory intensive to allow running in the background.

Was this review helpful? YES | NO

Thanks chaps!

Right here goes:-

jelrikj - Thanks - done that (11 problems causing 451Mb of "system clutter").

Mel - Thanks. I have installed Revo and cleared a lot. Also used it to remove the remnats of Google toolbar which I've also got rid of. I'll post a new log soon - probably tomorrow (I'm getting earache from senior management about not wrapping presents).

Garybear - Answer - YES thanks. I'll uninstall it as Mel suggested then look around. I also use AVG (free). I think I've got ASC and Iobit and Spyware doctor all running in real time. So should you only have one running in real time and manually run the others say, every week to maintain system health?

One thing I haven't got my head round is the relationship between Iobit and ASC. I kind of thought they were probably run by the same people (hense the joint forum). If so do they not do the same thing? Why are you all recommending one and not the other etc?

It always seems that things like Google toolbar (which I actually find quite useful) really slow the system up.

One thing I haven't got my head round is the relationship between Iobit and ASC. I kind of thought they were probably run by the same people (hense the joint forum). If so do they not do the same thing? Why are you all recommending one and not the other etc?

Hi ricko61,

Please have a look at this IObit page for the similarities and differences.

They both belong to and authored by IObit company together with other IObit software.

http://www.iobit.com/productscompare.html

I haven't noticed that all are recommending one and not the other. :-o

All of the members who posted here in this thread use both of the programs.

Security programs, in general, have a very large variety, and there is no software in existence on the web that solves all of the security problems.

I wish if there were one.:lol:

Cheers.

Hi ricko61,

Please have a look at this IObit page for the similarities and differences.

They both belong to and authored by IObit company together with other IObit software.

http://www.iobit.com/productscompare.html

I haven't noticed that all are recommending one and not the other. :-o

All of the members who posted here in this thread use both of the programs.

Security programs, in general, have a very large variety, and there is no software in existence on the web that solves all of the security problems.

I wish if there were one.:lol:

Cheers.

"So should you only have one running in real time and manually run the others say, every week to maintain system health?" I have AVG for anti=virus running in real time and IObit anti=malware running in real time. I have Superantispyware, Malwarebytes and A squared for scan on demand. I switch around and run one of the three once a month or when I fell like it. They have never found any thing but I'm a safe web user. Iobit 360 will take care of your malware problems and they will only get better. IObit360 was #1 and will be again very soon. Now you need to get a good backup program. My favorite is Macrium Reflect. Its a freeware program and you can find all about it on this forum if you do a search for it.---garybear. The money you saved by fixing your PC can be used to bye you a external USB drive to store your back ups on. Good luck friend.

Hello Again Ricko!

AVG is fine software. It can be heavy on the system while scanning. Leave your machine running at night and schedule the scan then.

Garybears suggestions about SuperAntispyware and A-squared are excellent.

A-squared will alert you if somebody farts in the room8-) while online. It is a bit heavy on execution, but once running doesn't consume resources terribly. You have to accept the slowness of the execution, slow update file downloads, and sometimes annoying popup questions about to "allow or block" (if you enable the surf protection). You can turn the automatic functions off, still download and scan, and it will do a fine job! Scan at night or whenever you're asleep. (Another word of caution is that A2 dilligently records the choices you make while on Inet.. and logs them, easily viewable for users on your system to see)

SuperAntispyware is also excellent. It has almost as high a detection rate as A2 but much easier to use!!

Garybear watches his back by updating and running alternatives... every so often, just to make sure. (Malwarebytes is also excellent software, but not personally experienced with it)

Garybear, thank you! You have made it clear here! Replace spyware doctor with superantispyware! You can find it here Ricko: http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Enoskype is right! I run Iobit probucts. Advanced System Care is a fantastic tool! Is360 is getting there as well!

The free one will do.

A word of caution... this pertains to the real time protection... a user can easily burden thier system by introducing processes. Sometimes they can even fight with each other!

Now system imaging... "Macrium Reflect"... a true blessing! I will leave it to GB to share this gift with you Ricko!!

Thanks for everything.

I think you've cracked it!

I got rid of Spyware doctor and installed Superantispyware (40 more threats). It seems to be flying now with the combination of everything you've suggested.

I'll look into downloading Macrium later.

Here is the latest Hijack log, hopefully for confirmation.

Thanks for all your help everyone, and special thanks to Melvin, Garybear and Solbjerg who have got involved most days of the past couple of weeks - I've learned a lot!.

Mel, Gary - I'm in the US on holiday on New Years Day for a couple of weeks. If I bump into you I'll buy you a beer!:-D

Cheers

hijack2.zip

Hi ricko61,

• - The following could be nasty, if you don't know what it is, delete it.

O16 - DPF: {6B4788E2-BAE8-11D2-A1B4-00400512739B}PWActiveXImgCtl.PWMediaSendControl.1 - http://216.249.24.140/code/PWActiveXImgCtl.CAB

• - Please update your Java from 1.6.0_11 to 1.6.0_17 .

• - Download JavaRa and using it get rid of the old Java clutter.

• - Check the following unknown services in the web, and decide what to do with them.

O23 - Service: konfig - Unknown - .dll

O23 - Service: license - Unknown - .dll

O23 - Service: mcp - Unknown - .dll

Cheers.

Archived