IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Leg cramps.

Ted

Just wondering how many of you suffer with leg cramps like I do. It has been suggested that the hours I spend behind my computer is the main cause, but I like to think differently. I'm okay during the day, but I usually get a severe spasm about 4am most mornings which makes me leap out of bed and perform acrobatics to get back to normal. I was swallowing quinine, which helped for a while, but my medical team have taken me off it because of its adverse affect on the heart. I've also tried Epsom Salts because of its magnesium content.

Hi Ted !!!!

Hi friend. I looked this up on the internet. I'm sure you did also. I get them all the time. I think it's old age:grin: They hurt like hell. I haven't found any thing that helps. I think it's lack of exercise. It's just another one of those wonderful presents of getting old. If you can exercise. I think that helps. Your not alone my friend, I get them all the time.===garybear

Hi Ted

Have you been checked for Kalium - Magnesium deficiency?

Try drinking!! Preferably water, alas :-) 1-2 litres a day.

Cheers

solbjerg

Just wondering how many of you suffer with leg cramps like I do. It has been suggested that the hours I spend behind my computer is the main cause, but I like to think differently. I'm okay during the day, but I usually get a severe spasm about 4am most mornings which makes me leap out of bed and perform acrobatics to get back to normal. I was swallowing quinine, which helped for a while, but my medical team have taken me off it because of its adverse affect on the heart. I've also tried Epsom Salts because of its magnesium content.

Swimmer's trick.

There is an old swimmer's trick that scuba divers use and stems from acupuncture... and it works (for me at least). We divers(at least the group I trained with), refer to it as "Pinch and Twist". It sounds stupid... but I learned it from my scuba instructer in 1989, and it has never failed me...

The difference possibly being that this fix works for my cramps experienced during exertion instead of physical latency. Its worth a try though.

Pinch your upper lip firmly between your thumb and index finger, then "roll" your hand out until the back of your index finger is firmly pressing against the bottom of your nose (nostrils)... then hold it there. The cramp should then ease over 30 seconds. I think its as much meditative as remedial, but I don't understand traditional Chinese medicine.

I hope this helps as it has helped me on many occasions while in the water.

Sincerely,

-Mel

P.S. It looks stupid while you are doing this, but if you have a severe leg cramp, who cares!!! All I want it to do is be gone!

soft and Grand'mother medecine

Hi friends :wink:

Soft :

eat some honey, rich in mineral salts at the rate of the equivalent of three tablespoonfuls a day

homeopathic granules of Cuprum metallicum 5CH at the time of the cramp

Grandmother's cure : Put a soap of Marseilles in the bottom of the bed

Best regards

well what you described at the opening ,yep that's me also..its the older males, that seem to suffer..i was always told ,lack of salt..and i know what you say when it hits .its very painful,my one also grabs my rib cage,and the knot

is unbelievably painfullest,make ya want ta cry..feels like the ribs are getting

ripped apart ,haaaaa the wife ,you ok dear? i cant even answer.

tell ya my trick.

when this happens 2 or three times.grab the deep heat.slap it on..seems to relax the muscle? ..

now as for start running and exert one self i tried this,made it worse!

fruit,eat lots of it.also the citron,LEMON. fresh add it to ya cuppa tea, and calcium, eat 1 tab a day,it seems to help .and gives me a brake, but i dont know ,i don't think there is a cure,its old age,

eat some honey, rich in mineral salts yes i add this as well !! i do like it

thanks i give it a go as well..

itsmejjj

Thanks for the helpful tips everyone. It seems I'm not alone with this problem.

Sunny. I do go for a walk every day and often pull my little trundler to the supermarket and fill it with goodies. We actually sleep on a "Biomag" mattress. Doesn't do much for cramps, though.

Gary, Yes, I thought you would be a sufferer too. I thought that you, like me, would spend lots of time in front of the computer. In fact for a start I considered addressing my post to you alone.

Solbjerg. Lack of Magnesium is certainly a possibility, that's why I've been trying the Epsom Salts as it's very rich in that mineral. Water! Now that's my problem as I hardly drink any! Plenty of tea and coffee, but no water.

Titou56 Yes, the honey trick is worth a try. I used to drink cider vinegar and honey. That was a good potassium fix as well.

Grandmother's cure : Put a soap of Marseilles in the bottom of the bed
What is that? Sounds like part of the French National Anthem. (Just kidding).

itsmejjj Yes I've been told that lack of salt could be the answer, but not in my case as I shower everything I eat with salt (much to my wife's disgust)

Mel Your tip sounds good to me too. I'm a great believer in Yoga and reflexology techniques.

Hi Ted

Sorry I wrote the Danish name Kalium it is potassium in English.

I know my mother took it the last years she was alive to alleviate small leg cramps.

I don't suffer from it - probably eat well and varied and drink enough water AND get sufficient exercise - even though I am not as fit as I was.

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for the helpful tips everyone. It seems I'm not alone with this problem.

Sunny. I do go for a walk every day and often pull my little trundler to the supermarket and fill it with goodies. We actually sleep on a "Biomag" mattress. Doesn't do much for cramps, though.

Gary, Yes, I thought you would be a sufferer too. I thought that you, like me, would spend lots of time in front of the computer. In fact for a start I considered addressing my post to you alone.

Solbjerg. Lack of Magnesium is certainly a possibility, that's why I've been trying the Epsom Salts as it's very rich in that mineral. Water! Now that's my problem as I hardly drink any! Plenty of tea and coffee, but no water.

Titou56 Yes, the honey trick is worth a try. I used to drink cider vinegar and honey. That was a good potassium fix as well.

What is that? Sounds like part of the French National Anthem. (Just kidding).

itsmejjj Yes I've been told that lack of salt could be the answer, but not in my case as I shower everything I eat with salt (much to my wife's disgust)

Mel Your tip sounds good to me too. I'm a great believer in Yoga and reflexology techniques.

my biggest problem is my broken back. i can only make half a block.1 way that it ,and then have ,no hope of getting back ,i must stop and lay down!

not very good .so that is why i still keep my birds,this makes me go out and clean,feed,them,yes it take a long time ,but at least i move about.

So i make myself fiddle as much as i can handle, also my back spams ,the muscles tighten ,constrict.and pull at the ribs,only way ta stop it on my hands and knees,and not move,till it stops,some time 2 3 mi nits, ,i need velum when this happens,to make the body let go..i am not impressed with this pill ,so i use deep heat,and can get away with it.. when this attack starts i call out ,and me wife already has it,slap on a good blob ,rub it in,and this works fairly fast!

IT certainly cuts the pain back to less than half..

but the rest of the day ,sit still,yet some days as good as gold ,just a small pain,

2out of 10..most bad days 6/10 ,the extreme 1 about every 10 weeks or so

15 out of 10!

i am bed ridden.3 to 6 days..and here is where the fun starts..! when its over ,it feels like a train run over me..if i can liken it.although ya be dead!

haaaaa...and some time ya get the feeling ya be better of..but it passes,and we come good.so far i have had a nice break from the 10+ and hope it last

for a while longer..

any how there ya go i spilled some of my problems...

and it fealt good ,hope ya dont mind?

itsmejjj

Hi Ted

Perhaps then try the water "cure", lots of tea and coffee may not be the best cure.

Interesting with the cookies - probably imported because of the name Royal~

The closest town to me Åkirkeby or Aakirkeby has a bakery that produces rye biscuits with caraway - "world famous" in Denmark - and they are really very good, but the baker doesn't want to expand production, so very little is exported I think.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. biscuits in the British sense - cracker. :-)

Hi, solbjerg,

Yes, I eat lots of bananas. Rich in potassium.

BTW. We bought a tin of Royal Danske Danish Butter Cookies at one of our local supermarkets here today. Very nice biscuits .

Archived