IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Some thing strange is going on!! [SOLVED]

garybear

Hi garybear

I do not understand.

If your wife likes Outlook Express - why not let her continue to use it??

I still use OE once in a while for some messages because it is easier there.

Otherwise I use MsOutlook to keep the functionality between the office programs and the mail program, but I actually like OE best.

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks my friend!! I'm proud to have you as my friend!! garybear:grin::grin::grin:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi friend!!

Hi garybear

I do not understand.

Otherwise I use MsOutlook to keep the functionality between the office programs and the mail program, but I actually like OE best.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi friend!! I'm not sure about any of this.I'm going to call my service provider. They have been busy helping people change over to gmail. When things slow down a little I will call and get better information. I don't think they support Outlook Express any longer, or they soon won't. That is the reason I'm changing. Also Microsoft says they also won't support OE, and suggest Windows Live. I have a screen shot showing that. The way I understand OE is that it is part of IE7, but not part of IE8,so if you have problems with OE, you can't get a down load of it because it's not in IE8?????????????? I'm very confused and teed of with Microsoft for not explaining all this better. If you have a better explanation of all this, I sure would like to hear it.==garybear

http://www.pcworld.com/article/131662/microsoft_to_kick_vistas_email_app_to_the_curb.html

Hi garybear

I do not understand.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi friend!! This is all I know about all this BS!!

http://ask-leo.com/from_where_can_i_download_outlook_express_6.html

Hi garybear

As far as I remember you use Windows XP - in the control panel under Add/Remove programs you can choose to add or remove Windows components, - and there you have the opportunity to add Outlook Express I think.

Remember updating the Macrium reflect with a new image of your setup.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi friend!! This is all I know about all this BS!!

http://ask-leo.com/from_where_can_i_download_outlook_express_6.html

Hi garybear

As far as I remember you use Windows XP - in the control panel under Add/Remove programs you can choose to add or remove Windows components, - and there you have the opportunity to add Outlook Express I think.

Remember updating the Macrium reflect with a new image of your setup.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi friend!! I am running xp3, but I don't find what your telling me!!

Hi friend!!

Have a look at the image Gary.

Cheers.

Hi friend!! Thanks !! I found it, but now what am I supposed to do?? Should I remove it ?? Leave it alone?? I think I'm using Windows Live Mail. I'm so damn confused with this BS, but I'm determined to get it figured out and fixed.

Hi folks.

For whatever it's worth... I did some searching last night. Gary : I don't have a magic fix for this, because it's not an easy problem to research. However, I have a few things you could look into, if you really want Windows Live Mail to work properly :

- First, it doesn't look like malware is behind this.

- WLM is a web application and it requires IE to work, so they are linked.

- In the very first screen shot you provided, there is a window asking you to save a file (google_com.htm) ; it also says "Type: FireFox document". I don't know, but it looks like FireFox is your default browser. This may cause a problem with WLM (I'm just guessing...).

Some people with a similar problem have been able to fix it by uninstalling WLM and IE8, then re-installing both.

My suggestions :

1) Set IE8 as your default browser and see if that helps.

2) If you still have the problem, uninstall WLM and then uninstall IE8 completely.

Next : install IE8 again, then go to Windows Update to get all the patches

Finally : install WLM again.

The problem is intermittent, so more difficult to troubleshoot. If it only happens in the morning or after long periods of "rest", then it could be triggered by hibernation / sleep mode in XP. But I'm just guessing again...

Good luck ;-)

===

Hi friend!!

Hi folks.

For whatever it's worth... I did some searching last night. Gary : I don't have a magic fix for this, because it's not an easy problem to research. However, I have a few things you could look into, if you really want Windows Live Mail to work properly :

- First, it doesn't look like malware is behind this.

- WLM is a web application and it requires IE to work, so they are linked.

- In the very first screen shot you provided, there is a window asking you to save a file (google_com.htm) ; it also says "Type: FireFox document". I don't know, but it looks like FireFox is your default browser. This may cause a problem with WLM (I'm just guessing...).

Some people with a similar problem have been able to fix it by uninstalling WLM and IE8, then re-installing both.

My suggestions :

1) Set IE8 as your default browser and see if that helps.

2) If you still have the problem, uninstall WLM and then uninstall IE8 completely.

Next : install IE8 again, then go to Windows Update to get all the patches

Finally : install WLM again.

The problem is intermittent, so more difficult to troubleshoot. If it only happens in the morning or after long periods of "rest", then it could be triggered by hibernation / sleep mode in XP. But I'm just guessing again...

Good luck ;-)

===

Hi friend!!!! Thanks friend. I have tried most of your suggestions and I thank you my friend. I haven't had any problems today, but who knows about tomorrow. I don't like IE8, but have it for the reasons you mentioned. I have all Windows up dates and I down loaded and installed this KB978207, which I mentioned in this thread. The only reason that I'm spending so much time with this is for my wife; other wise I would tell Bill Gates to kiss my behind. I can make every thing work by restarting my PC every morning. That's not that big of a deal!! It just hacks me off that Microsoft and Bill Gates do such shabby work and get by with it. Mr big shot puts out programs before they have been tested and then leaves it up to the people to fix his ***** ups. Now I'll get off my stump and see what happens next. Thanks for your hard work my friend.===garybear

Hi there Gary :-D

Yeah, Windows is complicated... and fragile.

I did read about you installing that KB978207. I'm thinking it could be linked to your problem ; not because the patch is "bad", but because of the sequence. It's possible that installing the patch after WLM is the problem, so that's why I'm suggesting you uninstall WLM and IE8 first, then re-install IE8 + all the patches and, finally, re-install WLM. Hopefully, everything will install as it is supposed to, in sequence, and the problem will disappear.

Too bad you can't install "Windows Mail" on XP ("Windows Mail" found in Vista only). I have installed Windows Mail on Win7 though, even if I wasn't supposed to LOL.

Hope your problem is gone, or soon fixed ;-)

===

Hi there Gary :-D

Yeah, Windows is complicated... and fragile.

I did read about you installing that KB978207. I'm thinking it could be linked to your problem ; not because the patch is "bad", but because of the sequence. It's possible that installing the patch after WLM is the problem, so that's why I'm suggesting you uninstall WLM and IE8 first, then re-install IE8 + all the patches and, finally, re-install WLM. Hopefully, everything will install as it is supposed to, in sequence, and the problem will disappear.

Too bad you can't install "Windows Mail" on XP ("Windows Mail" found in Vista only). I have installed Windows Mail on Win7 though, even if I wasn't supposed to LOL.

Hope your problem is gone, or soon fixed ;-)

===

Hi friend!! Looks like Windows Mail is history also???

Hi friends!!

Hi friends!! Here's my story ,and I'm going to tell it like I see it. My ISP saw the hand writing on the wall, and made a deal with Google to use gmail for their customers. The reason they made the deal was because Microsoft was going to quit supporting Outlook Express and replace it with Windows Live Mail. The transaction with my ISP was fairly smooth, and things were great for awhile. Then I started having trouble because Mr. Gates was mad about the deal my ISP made with Google. Since Outlook Express would not support gmail any longer, I did some research with help from my friends, and decided to use Windows Live. My wife was use to and liked Outlook Express and Windows Live promised to be a lot like OE. It appeared that this was going to work just fine, but then I stared having trouble again. I'm determined to make this work and I may have or may not have solved the problem with help from my friends on this forum. I have reinstalled IE8. Installed this patch(KB978207). Reinstalled Windows Live. Done a lot of cussing, and now I'm waiting to see if I have more problems. I have no faith in Microsoft products and Bill Gates. Vista was and still is a nightmare, so Bill created Windows 7 to fix his ***** up and got everyone to spend 200$. Then he created Microsoft security Essentials for Windows7, which was supposed to work with XP3. I tried MSE and it was a total disaster for me and several more people. Windows Live Mail is also causing problems. We all know that it takes time to get the bugs out of new programs, but Microsoft is no where around to help anyone, and puts programs out before they have been fully tested and leaves it up to the public to find answers. I'm sure it is evident that I have very little respect for Mr. Gates and Microsoft, but what the hell do you do; switch to Apple?? I'm upset but I'll get over it, because I have many friends on this forum. I will not ever like Bill Gates, and I'll continue to tell it like I see it. To bad Mr. Gates doesn't have more competition. I hope this thread helps someone. If your wife can live with gmail, tell Mr. Gates to stick it where the sun don't shine.:lol::lol: PS I'm using Windows Live to support gmail, just because of my wife, but you don't have to.

Hi sunny!!

gary

why not use gmail via the gmail web page its ok. I did this ages ago and no longer use email software its the future old email software will be history soon..

or move to linux if you dislike microsoft

Hi friend!! I have no problem with your suggestions, but I'll have to convince my wife. I'm to old to learn how to use a different OS, so will stay with XP3 and gripe about it :lol::lol:

Hifriend

Hi Gary, why don't you use the procedure as in post #32 of this thread using the Windows component uninstall function, so it will be there if you need it!!!

Cheers.

Ok my friend. I will do that!! PS This is some thing that might be of interest to those that are still using Outlook Express. Screen shot below.

i am wondering .you think it may be time to update your OS ?

just asking.how you feel about this,could save you a lot of problems with software?

the problem is this MS has stopped supporting this OS .and putting all into the OS 7..

as time is passing it will be redundant.ok many may scream as thy did with 98.

and so on..

but its gets harder,be leave it or not .the latest os is very good.and speed wise also very good.even on a Pentium 4 with 1 gig memory.. you would not see that if any difference in speed..

now i am asking.not debating ..what is better.lets face it try 98.or 2000

very hard to run.yes thy will but very difficult to get programs.for,

or a modern browser..to run.even browsing the net .try fire walls,scanners and so on.and save struggling trying to keep XP going.

the other thing MS wants this OS dead.

and are working towards this.why .well not hard to figure out..

i be leave this,if you were running 7.you would i think have near non of the problems you have now.

but then ,the software you use may need to be modern app.as 98%

of Xp app cannot run on 7..

i am wondering if it has crossed your mind.

itsmejjj

Hi friend!!

i am wondering .you think it may be time to update your OS ?

just asking.how you feel about this,could save you a lot of problems with software?

the problem is this MS has stopped supporting this OS .and putting all into the OS 7..

as time is passing it will be redundant.ok many may scream as thy did with 98.

and so on..

but its gets harder,be leave it or not .the latest os is very good.and speed wise also very good.even on a Pentium 4 with 1 gig memory.. you would not see that if any difference in speed..

now i am asking.not debating ..what is better.lets face it try 98.or 2000

very hard to run.yes thy will but very difficult to get programs.for,

or a modern browser..to run.even browsing the net .try fire walls,scanners and so on.and save struggling trying to keep XP going.

the other thing MS wants this OS dead.

and are working towards this.why .well not hard to figure out..

i be leave this,if you were running 7.you would i think have near non of the problems you have now.

but then ,the software you use may need to be modern app.as 98%

of Xp app cannot run on 7..

i am wondering if it has crossed your mind.

itsmejjj

I'll give up my xp3 when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers:lol: PS I'm not having that many problems, but when I do, I will consider a new PC with Windows 7 on it. At my age, XP3 won't have to last to much longer.:lol: Thanks for your post my friend.

Hi sunny

out of sight out of mind, there if you need it back. i would be happy with that.

Hi friend. You know the old bear better than that. I won't rest until it's all off my PC. All of it:lol: I'll just back it up with Macrium and pull the trigger. Not today , but it probably will happen soon. Curiosity killed the cat, but it won't kill the old bear. Thanks for all your posts my friend!

Archived