IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SaveFox

fredvries

If you use Firefox you might have noticed that over time it is getting slower to load during startup and its overall speed will decrease considerably. This is the result of several files becoming too defragmented and becoming too large. Another problem of these files is that they store a great deal of personal and personally identifiable information about you and the sites you visit.

Most of these files can simply be removed because Firefox will recreate them the next time you start it. So I have created a little program that does just that.

More info and download here.

Program is in beta and doesn't seem to work properly on 64-bit systems. Could someone please confirm that?

Hi fredvries

What settings do you recommend in firefox?

Cheers

solbjerg

If you use Firefox you might have noticed that over time it is getting slower to load during startup and its overall speed will decrease considerably. This is the result of several files becoming too defragmented and becoming too large. Another problem of these files is that they store a great deal of personal and personally identifiable information about you and the sites you visit.

Most of these files can simply be removed because Firefox will recreate them the next time you start it. So I have created a little program that does just that.

More info and download here.

@ solbjerg

I do not recommend any settings. Just choose the ones you feel comportable with.

SaveFox will remove several sqlite files that grow and defragment over time, causing Firefox to slow down considerably. Besides that: these sqlite files may be the target of malware. Most (not all) can be safely deleted because Firefox receartes them.

Fred

Ok fred

I meant in SmartRAM, sorry!

Cheers

solbjerg

@ solbjerg

I do not recommend any settings. Just choose the ones you feel comportable with.

SaveFox will remove several sqlite files that grow and defragment over time, causing Firefox to slow down considerably. Besides that: these sqlite files may be the target of malware. Most (not all) can be safely deleted because Firefox receartes them.

Fred

Hi fredvries,

FYI,

I have used it, but after using, some shortcuts of other programs on the desktop are gone for good and also I had to reinstall (Upgrade) Firefox, as the application ini is not found error was showing with the start attempt of FF.

That was for Windows 7 Pro x32, single core hardware.

The Firefox was 3.6.10

I have checked the bat file and couldn't find what was causing this.

Cheers.

I know that the running the program will cause you to lose some data but keep in mind that the program is posted in a forum about security. I personally find my privacy much more valuable than having data on my system that could be harvested by advertising companies (or worse).

Most of what it removes is from this page from Mozilla itself.

Hi, Mongoose,

I downloaded SpeedyFox.ex and it only took about five seconds to do its job.

No improvement in initial launching time, though, about thirty-five seconds.

I'm a bit scared to try Fred's one ATM.

hi Ted

are you saying that the browser takes (about thirty-five seconds.)

or am i reading this wrong?

my one 3 seconds and loaded .

jjj

Hi, itsmejjj,

Yes, after a bootup FF takes about thirty-five seconds to launch, after that loadings take about five seconds. I do have a few addons,though which doesn't help. Minimizing instead of closing FF after use improves things.

Slow Burnig Fox

Hi, itsmejjj,

Yes, after a bootup FF takes about thirty-five seconds to launch, after that loadings take about five seconds. I do have a few addons,though which doesn't help. Minimizing instead of closing FF after use improves things.

There are a whole lot of tweaks for FireFox but I have found these 2 to be quick, easy and have helped in speeding up the initial launch.

• Tools

• Options

• Privacy

Remember my browsing history for at least 90 days

Do you really need 90 days worth of browsing history ?

I certainly don't, I have set it to 10 days but even that is more than I need.

• Tick Clear history when FireFox closes

• Click Settings

• I have Ticked only these 2: Download history (don't need it) and Cache

There is a bit of debate as to whether clearing the Cache is of any real benefit, I found it better to clear it.

Anyway, try clearing the Cache for a while and see if it improves, if not you can go back to your normal setting.

All the best, woz of oz

Hi, itsmejjj,

I have Windows XP Home on a desktop 2gbs of RAM etc.

Your FF is super fast, Does the initial launch after a bootup only take three seconds? WOW!

Hi, wozofoz,

Thank you. I tried your tweaks and they chopped about ten seconds off the thirty-five. Actually Thunderbird takes about the same initial launching time.

I'm trying to get into the habit of clicking the Minimise instead of the Close button when finished with either app. I then have instant startup the next time I want to use either.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi fredvries,

I'm just getting over the initial shock, after running your .bat, so I'm not sure just how much faster FF loads, but it seems quicker.

The shock came when I noticed all that had been removed from my test box's Desktop. Not only a bunch of shortcuts, but all my .rar files, .zip files and other folders I had there. Ok, so I keep a lot of stuff on the Desktop, but it's a test box (XP). Good thing I have backups, because a simple Restore only brought a few things back, including empty folders.

I'm sure it got all those files you've listed, but it also goes after a lot more that are not specified from your links, unless I got it wrong or didn't read everything.

I think you should either consider making a backup of everything removed, or make things real clear as to what is targetted exactly.

I know it's a Beta and I'm a big boy, so no harm done ;)

===

SaveFox 1.0.8

OK fredvries,

I have tried it, certainly this time taking precautions, but it seems that everything is allright.

Also, no problem with FF this time.:grin:

FYI,

The second line in the bat file still says that it is 1.0.6

@Echo off

rem SaveFox 1.0.6

Great work, thank you.

Cheers.

Archived