IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag 2.0.1 requires administrator privileges [SOLVED by SD 2.1]

wotan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know, in XP, the local Administrators group gives full admin access. And I have that, and I have never had this issue with any other piece of software I have installed, including older version of SD.

worked on XP PRO on laptop, XP Pro on desktop, but Failed on Tablet XP.

same file from CNET vers 2.0.1

uninstalled and reinstalled 2.0.0 the Release 2.0 after Beta 3 and it works fine on the Tablet XP laptop.

so issue is with 2.0.1 where it gives required admin privileges.

for those with issues search around and you can find the 2.0.0 install file.

This problem shows up after connecting the Win 7 system to a domain. If you are not part of a domain it seems to work fine. This problem has only started with ver 2. I should also note that Smart Defrag will work fine if I login as a local admin. But if logged in as a member of a group from the domain with admin rights it won't work.

confirmed domain admin account can't start SD2.0.1

I've installed Smart Defrag 2.0.1 twice: on Win 7 as a local admin and on Vista as a domain account that is a member of the Administrators group. Works fine on Win 7 with the local admin account. Does not start on the Vista PC with a domain account (shows message box with 'Smart Desfrag requires administrator privileges to run' then quits). I can run it on the Vista PC if I log out then logon with a local admin account.

The funny thing is if you look at the membership of group Administrators both my domain account and the local admin account are there but only the local account will run SD2.

I like what I see so far in SD2: slick UI, great performance. Not having to logon with a local account is a deal breaker for me because of access to email and desktop configuration that I have under my domain account. I have no other reason to logon to the local admin account so inertia will stop me from using SD2 until this is fixed :sad:

Hi jasperg

From which location did you download the file - could it be from the same location as the others with problems?

Cheers

solbjerg

Both came from default Iobit dowload link. Think it was cnet. Other update XP machine on a network Win 7 one standalone.

Regards, Jasperg

Just want to verify, on my work laptop (where I first encountered this problem), if I create a local user and add it to the administrators group I can install and use SD 2.0.1. However, using a domain account in the local administrators group does not work (XP SP 3). At home, on Vista Home Premium, a local account in the administrators group works. It does seem to be a problem with not picking up the privileges associated with a domain account that is a member of the local administrators group.

I did an internet search about the Domain user problem and found that other software developers are having similar problems. So, it's not just IObit encountering this but a wide spread area of concern.

I did not understand what they were saying when they described what needed to be done but evidently there is a fix, if you know what you are doing.

It sounded very complicated to me, but I'm not a programmer.

I'm starting to think that IObit put in some kind of network monitor, in later versions, that does Not really need to be there, though?

(As long as there is Firewall & Malware protection on the network and on local stand-alone computers)

Probably a network Virus-transfer Protection routine?

IObit programmers probably thought it was 'Better to be Safe than Sorry'.

I just thought of something that you that are having this problem may try, if you have W-7 or maybe Vista.

First locate the SmartDefrag.exe file, right-click on it, then left-click on 'Properties' (at bottom of menu).

Then left-click on the 'compatibility' tab, at top, and then at bottom activate check-box in 'Privilege Level' labled 'Run this program as Administrator'.

Left-click 'Apply' & then 'Ok'.

(That is the path to it in Windows-7, I don't think XP had that option on compatibility page)

I don't know if that will help or not, since I don't have a way to test it on Domain, but thought it may be worth a try?

I also found out that W-7 has a Service called 'Application Management' that has something to do with 'Domain-Groups'.

So, if that service is disabled in Services.msc, it may effect the abilities of Domain-group users?

(But not sure how it is related)

Run Services.msc to determine if it has been Disabled.

Hi Toppack

You may well have hit on something there. :-)

Several services in my XP version related to domain are deactivated, probably by default for security reasons. Even DNS was originally not started and manual, but I have made it started and automatic while I found that my computer worked better that way.

You are right about the compatibility tab priviledged level in XP - it isn't there, but a possibility to tick on/off the advanced language settings are.

Cheers

solbjerg

I just thought of something that you that are having this problem may try, if you have W-7 or maybe Vista.

First locate the SmartDefrag.exe file, right-click on it, then left-click on 'Properties' (at bottom of menu).

Then left-click on the 'compatibility' tab, at top, and then at bottom activate check-box in 'Privilege Level' labled 'Run this program as Administrator'.

(That is the path to it in Windows-7, I don't think XP had that option on compatibility page)

I don't know if that will help or not, since I don't have a way to test it on Domain, but thought it may be worth a try?

I also found out that W-7 has a Service called 'Application Management' that has something to do with 'Domain-Groups'.

So, if that service is disabled in Services.msc, it may effect the abilities of Domain-group users?

(But not not sure how it is related)

Several services in my XP version related to domain are deactivated, probably by default for security reasons.

The Default for 'Application Management' was 'Disabled' in W-7 Also.

I found another Domain-controller related service called 'Netlogon' that may need to be activated Also. (It's default is Disabled)

All those may already be activated, if your computer is already setup on a Domain, though ?

I tried your procedure on Vista and the checkbox for 'Privilege Level' is grayed out (disabled) no matter what other controls on that page are set to. This may be a local policy in my computer domain and your PC's policy may be different. It's good to hear it could help some users out, but it's not a universal solution. :-|

(But not sure how it is related)

I tried your procedure on Vista and the checkbox for 'Privilege Level' is grayed out (disabled) no matter what other controls on that page are set to.

Thank you for the Info.

I suppose W-7 would be the same as Vista?

It's possible that that option is grayed-out on all computers with only Domain privileges?

Oh well, I just thought it was worth looking into.

I guess Domain users may need to come to the Reality that they are Really Not in Control of their computers. Sad as it may Be! :-(

In fact It's my understanding that is the Main purpose of setting up Domains, is so users can Not make Major changes,

such as installing utility software, such as SD, that can make changes to the system.

If that is true, IObit may Not be able to get around this problem?

There is always the little defrag program that comes with Windows, that you can use.

The path to that Defrag is:

C:\windows\system32\dfrgui.exe

I have installed and used Defraggler since I first encountered this problem, and it works fine. I just installed and am currently running MyDefrag 4.3.1, which explicitely states I must have administrator access to install and run it, see bullet 3 at http://www.mydefrag.com/FAQDownloadAndInstall-IsThereANo-installVersionAvailable.html

This sounds like something wrong in SD2.

Problems with Smart Defrag 2

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise and the latest Smart Defrag v2 (version 2.0.1.978) The previous version I was able to run but the latest version gives me an error "Smart Defrag requires administrator privileges to run". I am still using the same id as I was previously using that worked fine.

The id is in the local Administrators group. It is a domain id. I am able to run the program with a local id that is part of the Administrator group.

What has been changed in the latest version? Can this be fixed to allow domain id's to run the product that are part of the Administrator group? I have tried to use the "run as Administrator" option but this doesn't work either.

Thanks

Update - 4/29/2011

The same thing happens with Windows XP when logged in as a domain id that has Administrator privilege.

My computer is running XP on a domain, and I got the same message when I upgraded from 2.0 to 2.0.1. I uninstalled 2.0.1 without jumping through any special hoops (just clicked uninstall from the Start menu) and reinstalled 2.0, and it works nicely.

This was obviously due to a change in 2.0.1, and not the users' or OS's fault. Changelog anyone...?

Archived