IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag Destorys System - How to get it gone?

corrytonapple

Hello All!

I downloaded your Smart Defrag 2 from CNet, recommended by a friend. It has done a wonderful job over the past week and a half, but its time is over. I have restarted many times, but this time my computer won't boot. Blue screen of death. I get an error about "smartdefragdriver.sys". I have tried everything, and am down to you guys. My system will need to be reinstalled if you guys cannot help. My system cannot repair itself, and the driver I deleted. I have Ubuntu 11.04 full install for Windows 7 fixing. But, I just cannot get rid of this software. How do I? I have tried running the uninstaller in safe mode, but it says that whats needed is not there, who would have thought.......

I need any ideas. I am almost a computer expert, and can handle any Terminal type commands thrown at me.

Thanks anybody!

If you can Boot from a DVD, try running chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r,

and sfc /scannow, command-prompt utilities.

The path to 'smartdefragdriver.sys' is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Smart Defrag 2\drivers\

(If that will help)

There are 8 sub-folders under the Drivers folder, with slightly different versions of smartdefragdriver.sys.

I don't know why 8 drivers, with same name, are needed.

(probably for 32 & 64bit versions of different OSs)

I Tried, But.....

I had the recovery partition on the HDD, I tried the command there and it told me the drive was locked out of write mode, so it is currently read only. The recovery discs the people at Geek Squad made for this laptop just want to nuke the whole thing. It appears as if there are no "Live Media" like Apple and Ubuntu. I have even gone a few steps in, just to find there was no way out of nuking the whole thing from the DVDs. Now, there are five DVDs, and I used DVD 1, so is it that the "Live Media" part is on one of the other discs?

Should I delete the drivers folder, break into Windows, then uninstall from there? Or deleting the drivers just going to make it worst? Also, I figured out where the program files were pretty quick, but thanks for helping there :D

Thanks, you already got me one step ahead!

I'm not sure what you mean by "live Media"? To me that means 'Streaming Video and Audio'.

You probably need to UnInstall SD2 and then ReInstall.

But if you can't do that, I think I would delete the 'Smart Defrag 2' folder,

Not just the 'drivers' folder.

hi corrytonapple

Do you know how this situation came about?

Do you run automatic defrag while doing other chores on your computer?

Did you pull the plug on the machine while an automatic defrag was in progress?

There is of course also the possibility that your computer has reached the end of its life.

A full chkdsk is alway good to do, a sfc /scannow likewise.

Is it possible for you to use the Uninstaller program from the tools in ASC?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hello All!

I downloaded your Smart Defrag 2 from CNet, recommended by a friend. It has done a wonderful job over the past week and a half, but its time is over. I have restarted many times, but this time my computer won't boot. Blue screen of death. I get an error about "smartdefragdriver.sys". I have tried everything, and am down to you guys. My system will need to be reinstalled if you guys cannot help. My system cannot repair itself, and the driver I deleted. I have Ubuntu 11.04 full install for Windows 7 fixing. But, I just cannot get rid of this software. How do I? I have tried running the uninstaller in safe mode, but it says that whats needed is not there, who would have thought.......

I need any ideas. I am almost a computer expert, and can handle any Terminal type commands thrown at me.

Thanks anybody!

I'm not sure what you mean by "live Media"? To me that means 'Streaming Video and Audio'.

You probably need to UnInstall SD2 and then ReInstall.

But if you can't do that, I think I would delete the 'Smart Defrag 2' folder,

Not just the 'drivers' folder.

For most Linux users, we have something called Live Media. Live media allows us to boot our computers and do anything a full blown OS does, but from the CD drive, involving no HDD at all. In this case, if Windows had Live Media repair tools that I could get at (Geek Squad's fault) then I could have run those commands.

hi corrytonapple

Do you know how this situation came about?

Do you run automatic defrag while doing other chores on your computer?

Did you pull the plug on the machine while an automatic defrag was in progress?

There is of course also the possibility that your computer has reached the end of its life.

A full chkdsk is alway good to do, a sfc /scannow likewise.

Is it possible for you to use the Uninstaller program from the tools in ASC?

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, I do know how the situation came out. I was there doing the work the whole time. :P :D

Do you run automatic defrag while doing other chores on your computer?I have defraged while doing other things on the computer. Normally, all I have open is Chrome and Minecraft and Notepad++ when I defrag.

Did you pull the plug on the machine while an automatic defrag was in progress? I don't use Automatic defrag, so that is not possible. In addition, I have not had to do a force shutdown since Maverick when I had the laptop where it could not go to sleep and it would just crash. Whoo, thanks for Natty. :D

There is of course also the possibility that your computer has reached the end of its life. Windows gives a BSOD because of one of your software drivers, and its the end of my lappy's life? Nope, that is not even logical. I say so because, as stated at the beginning, I was and still am using Ubuntu just fine. It always has worked fine, and always will. Just because Windows dies or BSODs, does not mean hardware is bad. Though it makes for a great market for cheap PCs and Linux Users! Oh, and BTW, this laptop is one and a half years old.

I did a chkdsk two weeks ago. Normally, these are not needed on a regular basis, but in the state it is in now, it is a great idea to do one. I am going to be doing one now in fact.

ASC? Please clarify.

But, I have good news! The system now works, but much slower! Here's how:

I was able to hit F8 and get into recovery mode after much trying. IDK why it would not work before, but I got in. It actually loaded the driver, surprising for me, but it did. It booted up, I went in, deleted the program and the driver and the entry from Add/Remove Programs. So its gone now..... but suddenly my system is very slow. Just to get it to boot and load Chrome is hitting almost ten minutes. In face, I cannot get on the internet. I'm on the Mac ATM.

But thanks all for helping or trying. I'll always remember why I use Linux, but still use that blasted Windows 7.

You all make a great program, and I hope to use it again when the cause is found about this and when it is stable.

Thank you all for helping.

For most Linux users, we have something called Live Media. Live media allows us to boot our computers and do anything a full blown OS does, but from the CD drive, involving no HDD at all. In this case, if Windows had Live Media repair tools that I could get at (Geek Squad's fault) then I could have run those commands.

Thanks for the Info! That's good to know.

I've always just called that the 'System-image CD or DVD'. :grin:

I'm glad your computer is Not dead, that would be Very Sad. :cry:

:lol:

Thanks for the Info! That's good to know.

I've always just called that the 'System-image CD or DVD'. :grin:

I'm glad your computer is Not dead, that would be Very Sad. :cry:

:lol:

Its called that too :P I try to teach people, any time I can. I figure it won't hurt them to read through it and learn if they want.

Not dead is nice, but its back to slow again. Indeed it would be sad for it being so young, but if you know me, you know I'll mod the thing until it works :grin:

The info is always good to know! Now if I can keep the OS stable long enough until Fall Break.....

I think with it being 1 2/3 years old, I will reinstall. It is just getting to the point where a fresh start would be nice. When it was setup *cough* Bestbuy Geeks, who ripped my dad off (technically me) *cough*, they called me owner. I would like to go by a real name. I would also like to gain the experience of reinstalling. There are plenty of apps I don't want to get rid of, but I want to. So, I can install them when I need them, and keep there .exe s laying around.

Don't get me wrong, you have a good product. It is just not meant for this system at its state. I'll be reading through the logs to find out why it does not like the driver.

8:)

Hi corrytonapple

ASC stands for AdvancedSystem Care - the flagship of IObit programs

And the mentioned Toolbox contains about 20 applications for optimizing your computer amongst these the Uninstaller application.

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, I do know how the situation came out. I was there doing the work the whole time. :P :D

Do you run automatic defrag while doing other chores on your computer?I have defraged while doing other things on the computer. Normally, all I have open is Chrome and Minecraft and Notepad++ when I defrag.

Did you pull the plug on the machine while an automatic defrag was in progress? I don't use Automatic defrag, so that is not possible. In addition, I have not had to do a force shutdown since Maverick when I had the laptop where it could not go to sleep and it would just crash. Whoo, thanks for Natty. :D

There is of course also the possibility that your computer has reached the end of its life. Windows gives a BSOD because of one of your software drivers, and its the end of my lappy's life? Nope, that is not even logical. I say so because, as stated at the beginning, I was and still am using Ubuntu just fine. It always has worked fine, and always will. Just because Windows dies or BSODs, does not mean hardware is bad. Though it makes for a great market for cheap PCs and Linux Users! Oh, and BTW, this laptop is one and a half years old.

I did a chkdsk two weeks ago. Normally, these are not needed on a regular basis, but in the state it is in now, it is a great idea to do one. I am going to be doing one now in fact.

ASC? Please clarify.

But, I have good news! The system now works, but much slower! Here's how:

I was able to hit F8 and get into recovery mode after much trying. IDK why it would not work before, but I got in. It actually loaded the driver, surprising for me, but it did. It booted up, I went in, deleted the program and the driver and the entry from Add/Remove Programs. So its gone now..... but suddenly my system is very slow. Just to get it to boot and load Chrome is hitting almost ten minutes. In face, I cannot get on the internet. I'm on the Mac ATM.

But thanks all for helping or trying. I'll always remember why I use Linux, but still use that blasted Windows 7.

You all make a great program, and I hope to use it again when the cause is found about this and when it is stable.

Thank you all for helping.

• 4 years later...

Archived