IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

USB Disk Guard Ability

imaginashawn

A couple of questions. Do the USB ports work in Safe mode? Did you try a USB mouse or keyboard in these ports?

Are you using an external USB hub plugged into your computer?

This next suggestion is just to take a look in the Registry. Please DONT make any changes.

Go to Start, Run and type regedit. The Registry will open. Go to this key and see what it is set at.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE?SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic?es\USBSTOR

"3" is to enable USB. "4" is to disable it.

Here is some information that may help.

Here's another link that may help.

Here is another suggestion from the Microsoft xp support forum:

To fix this problem, use the following methods in the order in which they are listed. After each method, check the USB device to see whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is not fixed, try the next method.

This article also includes a workaround that you can try if these methods do not work.

Back to the top

Method 1: Use Device Manager to scan for hardware changes

Use Device Manager to scan for hardware changes. After your computer scans for hardware changes, it might recognize the USB device that is connected to the USB port so that you can use the device.

To scan for hardware changes, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.

Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.

In Device Manager, click your computer so that it is highlighted.

Click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.

Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

If scanning for hardware changes fixed the problem, you are finished. If this method did not fix the problem, go to Method 2.

Back to the top

Method 2: Restart the computer

If scanning for new hardware did not fix the problem, try restarting the computer. After the computer has restarted, check the USB device to see whether it is working.

If restarting the computer fixed the problem, you are finished. If this method did not fix the problem, go to Method 3.

Back to the top

Method 3: Disable and re-enable the USB controller

Use Device Manager to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers. This lets the controllers recover the USB port from its unresponsive condition. The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, try the steps in the "Workaround" section.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.

Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.

Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.

Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.

Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

If the USB port recognizes the device and if you can use the device, you are finished.

If this method fixed the problem, you are finished. If this method did not fix the problem, go to the "Workaround" section.

Back to the top

Sincerely,

-Mel

Moved thread.

I have moved the thread outside of the Malware removal section so that all forum members may provide input as Dave is finished with the Malware removal process. I hope Toppack views and has some ideas as hardware seems to be his Forte! :grin:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Dave;

I had tried the usb ports in safe mode before but I just went and tried again ... nothing. I don't have a usb keyboard or mouse to try but I did try a mp3 player and a pocket pc. I have no hub connected although I did try a PCI usb card once to see if it would work (new) but it didn't.

The registry start key is set to 3 but I attached a snapshot of USBSTOR so you can look at the rest of it.

One more thing; when I booted to safe mode, the last driver to load before the black screen that makes the boot time to long is 'Mup.sys', if I remember correctly, the loading pauses on something the system has a problem with. I wonder if it might be a good idea to see what happens if I disable Mup.sys.

What do you think?

Thank you

Hi imaginashawn!

I thought you might have... had you seen this xp-specific thread there (it is what I copied from earlier). There is a different fix-it tool at the bottom in the work around section.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900

Look at the work around section if you have not already seen this!

I am once again clueless! :shock:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

A side note

I've been feeling a little guilty about getting all this help when all I am using is IObit's Free versions. I think your software is fantastic and tell others about it all the time. Just wanted to point out that I am ready to purchase but it doesn't make sense to me to buy just before I may find out that this machine needs to be replaced. I'd rather find out weather that's the case or not first and not waste a license on something I'm about to scrap. I'm on disability and must be very careful with what little I get.

Thanks again for all your help, Dave, Melvin and whoever else might. :grin:

Hi imaginashawn!

Please do not feel guilty!!!!:-)

We are volunteers here and find this personally rewarding!:-)

I must admit that the machine is extremely limited having viewed the Speccy files extensively!

I doubt that the PRO versions would assist you any with your machine! In some instances without proper attention and work, you may find that they would damage your system!

I find it Most curious that Ubuntu would manage the ports fine, but Windows is unable to! Despite all the tremendous efforts you have put forth and the resources you have utilized!!! Have you tried kicking it yet!!!:mrgreen: (I know I would've!)

I have been looking at machines recently for my Nephew. If you have been fine using your current machine as is, and don't need HAL 2000 (2001 Space Odessey) :wink: then you should be able to find a reasonably priced replacement tower... your current machine is not easily upgradeable for the money.

See if anybody else posts on this!!!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Fix It

No I did not see the XP specific Fix It tool. I gave it a try just now ... no good. I rebooted ... still nothing.

On the other post you just did. I've worked on this problem on and off for several months now and after seeing that it's not easy for you guys to solve either, I'm pretty well convinced it's going to take a new board .... or a good used one. I got a good deal on a used board on ebay for another PC, maybe I'll do it again.

I haven't said but I do repair broken laptops as I can afford to, i.e., replace broken screens, mobo's, etc. . I agree, the HP tower is kinda original in the drive section but the board mounts the same as all the rest.

As you said, it's time for some updating anyways. :-P

You know, in my search for answers over the months I've had this problem, I noticed a lot of other people posting the same problem. Needless to say, I never saw any of them get a solution! I think the guy that figures this out will be a 'rock star among techs'! :grin: But that's not to say I don't think very highly of the guys that have helped me here!

Thank you.

'I find it most curious that Ubuntu would ....'

'I find it Most curious that Ubuntu would manage the ports fine, but Windows is unable to!'

Kinda points the finger at Microsoft doesn't it. Well, on that note;

When I was booting to safe mode (windows) the drivers loading stopped at 'Mup.sys' then the black screen that takes so much extra time before loading normally. So I'm wondering, should I see what happens if I disable Mup.sys?

I looked for it in System but didn't see it. :shock:

I suppose I could find it in the registry.

What do you think?

Hi imaginashawn!

In that case! Ha PUN!!

Did you look for chafing on the ribbon harnesses?

Still doesn't make sense though as Ubuntu manged fine... how long were you running Ubuntu? And did you use several USB devices? My assumption has been that with Ubuntu installed you were able to use multiple devices in the USB ports with no problem.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Using Ubuntu

I clean my PC every few months and I haven't noticed anything at all wrong with the ribbon cables. I would have noticed chaffing because I clean the ribbons as well.

As for using Ubuntu, I used it for a few months during the time that Windows would not allow the usb ports to work. I often plugged in my digital camera, mp3 player and SD card reader and card without any problems.

The computer in question is my 'entertainment computer'. It's connected to my TV with mouse and keyboard extensions that reach to my easy chair. I have another desktop at my workbench that runs Windows Xp home (different install disk).

So, another option is, I could change the living room computer back to Ubuntu ... even though that spoils the fun of finding out what's causing this. :lol:

So why did I switch back to Windows? Netflix Streaming (doesn't work with Linux). But I found another company that offers the same deal (and price) and they work with Linux. So there's really nothing keeping me from going back to Ubuntu.

I'm still curious what would happen if I disabled Mup.sys though ... any thoughts?

I read today that after Mup.sys loads in the boot process, some drivers load that are not shown, i.e., video, keyboard, mouse, USB. Since the time after Mup.sys loads is waaaay to long before anything shows on the screen again, I would assume it's having trouble either locating files/drivers or they are corrupt.

Second assumption: The set of installation disks that came with my PC are about 5 years old now and have been used a few times at least. I wonder if there's not a scratch just in the right place that's keeping something from copying '_____ ' .

Since reinstalling the OS with the same disks just gives me the same problem as before (no usb), I think the only way to prove my theory is to see what happens when I install Windows XP from a different installation disk. I do have that disk for my other machine. I can't leave it in there but at least I'd have an answer.

I'll let you know how it goes.

usb ports

Hi all,

USB PORTS WILL NOT WORK if cpu usage stays at 100%.

you need to identify the culprit, (PID).

turn that service off.

and see if they work.

then investigate that service.

Roy

microsoft quirk not ubantu thats why they work

I just noticed that you have iPodService.exe service loading.

I have read several reports of it causing driver conflect problems on PCs.

It also uses a lot of RAM and is worse on XP OS.

So I would try disabling it, to see if that helps.

I think iPodService.exe is activated when you install or run iTunes?

Hi Toppack!

It has been well over a year since I messed around with I tunes. If I recall correctly that is the background service that primarily checks for updates. I think that when you close Itunes it remains running in the background and has to be manually disabled. (as I said its been over a year:-?)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!!

(I wonder if Itunes was re-installed after Shawn reformatted, if not than this is ruled out)

...not only completely disabled all USB ports but also causes the Processor via USBPORT.SYS to run at 99% until I suspend it in Process Explorer.

PID Definition:

Short for process identifier, also called a process ID. It refers to the number assigned to a process by the operating system to uniquely identify a process running on a system.

Hi srcd01!

The above is from post #1 from the thread... it is USBPORT.SYS itself that runs at 99%!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Update on problem

After trying two different XP install disks (licences) and still not resolving these issues, I decided to install Ubuntu 8.10.

Startup: As Ubuntu loads, it does complain about USB but the ports work now and the processor does not run at 99% when the system is idle.

If you look around the net, you'll find lots of complaints for these same symptoms. I'm going to go back over these complaints and see what system info we have in common, i.e., mobo, BIOS version, OS, updates, etc. and see if I can find the common thread.

I'm thinking it's some kind of flaw in the BIOS version that I have.

BIOS: AMIBIOS

Date: 1/18/2007

VER: 08.00.12

HP now lists another version; 3.24 .

Thank you all for your input. I'll keep you posted on the developments. :grin:

weird and wonderfull replies on the net for this

Found a couple of causes suggested fixes.

Do you use a surge protector on your elec supply, if so dont reduces the voltage on normal supply and the system tries to correct this causing max CPU usage.

the not not so nice one there has been a surge thru your chipset and its fried a part of it new chipset required.

End of the road.

Thanks for the suggestion scrd1 but no, I don't trust UPS's etc., because of the risk of damage by brown out, spike or other circuit failure (same things they were meant to protect from). Seen it happen on other's machines.

As I said earlier, I changed my OS to Ubuntu because at least that way my USB ports work and the CPU doesn't run at 99%.

I got the idea to try a BIOS update but it turns out, it's AMI and they don't support Linux updates! I turned to the computer manufacturer, HP and even though they sell machines with Linux installed, they don't offer any Linux drivers for my machine! If this machine wasn't five years old, I'd be raising some hell! :lol:

Oh well, just gonna 'drive it till the wheels fall off'.

This ends my request for help, thank you all for being so helpful and interested, you've been really great!

Till the next adventure, Shawn

Archived