IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Copy/Paste quit working - ASC at fault?

pissed

Hi,

just about the same time when I paid for ASC, my laptop quit the copy/paste function, means strg+c and strg+v would no longer work in more than say 1 out of 10 times at best, regardless of which program I'd be working with.

I would not have come to the conclusion that this might be more than just a coincidence myself - before I came across this post at

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/5bbc11e8-ca2d-41ac-b640-d66ce971f58f

Copy + Paste (Clipboard) Issues / Not Working?

It worked before.....

After spending hours searching for an answer online somewhere, and got NADA FROM 50 FORUMS......

MOST if not ALL memory management software WILL clear the clipboard queue every time it engages..and it does so very often..in seconds usually. Check to be sure you do not have any kind of memory management or RAM MANAGER type of software loaded.

In my case it was Advanced System Care 5 from IOBIT software...LOVE THE SOFTWARE on Win 7..speeds everything up and clears out all the BS Miscosoft stuff running at boot... almost completely. But you have to go into its config to tell it to ignore the clipboard cache when it does it's memory management tasks. Otherwise it kills copy/paste functionality totally.

I about pulled all my hair out on this damn problem.

Dunno if this guy still loves ASC.

I'm just glad that I did not talk my wife into using ASC as well. :twisted:

And I'd feel a lot better if somebody could tell me how I can solve this problem, i.e. which settings to change in order to get copy/paste back to work!

Hi pissed! Welcome to Iobit forum!

Please understand that we are volunteers here of freewill and post out of goodwill! :-D

Did you read the thread you pointed out all the way through and try the solution offered?

These are screenshots directly from the link to the thread you provided!

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9246&d=132599325

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9245&d=1325993242

Note that the time stamp on the second one is only 7 hrs. 3 mins. ago!!

This is what it will look like if you open ASC, then go to the toolbox, choose SmartRam. then settings.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9247&d=1325994058

Hopefully this will help!:grin:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

@Mel (and all the other volunteers contributing to this forum),

first of all: thanks for reading my post and leading a way out of the mess I have manouvered myself into. I really do appreciate your input. Sorry, if my post might have suggested otherwise. Guess that is why one should probably not sign up to a new forum in a rage and make his first post in the middle of the night; at least not in a language he has learned in school for only nine years.

Participating in several other forums (where I think I can actually provide some expertise myself), I'm well aware of how much of your free time and knowledge you guys provide for newbies (to Windows - I used to work on a Mac for many years - like me).

As a matter of fact, I have also sent my posting to the folks at iobit directly and I do look forward to their response as well. If they should bother to read the complete thread linked to in my original post, they'll find what someone commented on this issue.

The following, aside from the fact that is not providing a solution for my particular problem, might be some food for thought when it comes to tinkering with an OS (it was for me, at least)

... You present what is becoming a common theme in computing. You take a working OS, then start applying all manner of aftermarket junkware to it that promises to improve your computing experience in some way.

And when the system starts acting flakey, for some reason it never dawns on you that the junkware is the root cause of the problem. "Couldn't be the junkware, its there to help, thats why I got it!" ...

As OT as it might be - I do wonder how many of the folks who are suffering from this "copy/paste function gone missing bug" might be using Smart RAM or similar programs.

Back to the iobit-Software: Once in a while, I have previously noticed some widget-like thingy that rated the system status/performance from A to C (or worse) - that one has not shown over the last weeks on my desktop at all.

The same applies to this (in)famous Smart RAM application. Since it does not pop up currently, I don't know where to access it's settings and change 'em according to the screenshots Mel has provided.

EDIT: I have finally found the setting for Smart RAM: "Räume Zwischenspeicher", as it says in German, needs to be unchecked.

Will let you know the impact of this eventually.

download it - run it - OH ****

In these days off - It must be done before i do it,

most people nowadays do not read the instructions before they use it.

Did you ?

Hense companies like Iobit, use us voluteers to help in Beta versions to try and reduce the number of bugs prior to a final release.

On the main GUI there is a MORE icon, hover/click, which takes you to the settings screen for whichever utility you NEED.

Roy

@ scrd01/Roy

Tx, just read your post after finishing editing mine.

As for the one post by <oldhippierick> showing as "Similar Threads" below:

copy/paste stop working Win 7 Advanced SystemCare v4 0 Aug. 22nd, 2011 19:20

I wonder wether his troubles were caused by the same issue.

Hi pissed

Configuring the settings is something one has to do in any program if you want the program to respond as you want it to.

In the junk file settings both Quick and Deep I don't have the Recycle bin ticked, because I want to retain personal control of what I do permanently delete.

In the case of the clipboard cleaning I do have it ticked - BUT you must remember that I do not use the automatic functions - and I therefore finish the jobs where I have copied/cut something before running a junk clean operation with ASC.

So this works out much like closing the computer where the clipboard is also emptied when closing the computer down. (I am talking about the normal Windows clipboard here.)

So please check your settings prior to any cleaning operation and please read the manual or better yet Usage of IObit Products! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

@ scrd01/Roy

Tx, just read your post after finishing editing mine.

As for the one post by <oldhippierick> showing as "Similar Threads" below:

copy/paste stop working Win 7 Advanced SystemCare v4 0 Aug. 22nd, 2011 19:20

I wonder wether his troubles were caused by the same issue.

... In the case of the clipboard cleaning I do have it ticked - BUT you must remember that I do not use the automatic functions - and I therefore finish the jobs where I have copied/cut something before running a junk clean operation with ASC.

So this works out much like closing the computer where the clipboard is also emptied when closing the computer down

hi solbjerg,

tx for your reply. altough i'm not 100% confident that i get your drift.

as for clipboard cleaning - i wouldn't mind if it would work kick in say "after 5 minutes of idle".

bug(ger) is: "it" (Smart RAM - or whatever it causes is) seems to wipe the clipboard in what feels less than 1 or 2 seconds, most of the time. thus one has almost no chance/time to copy/paste anything at all.

which costs a lot more time than any "RAM improvement" might save eventually.

Hi pissed

Configuring the settings is something one has to do in any program if you want the program to respond as you want it to.

In the junk file settings both Quick and Deep I don't have the Recycle bin ticked, because I want to retain personal control of what I do permanently delete.

In the case of the clipboard cleaning I do have it ticked - BUT you must remember that I do not use the automatic functions - and I therefore finish the jobs where I have copied/cut something before running a junk clean operation with ASC.

So this works out much like closing the computer where the clipboard is also emptied when closing the computer down. (I am talking about the normal Windows clipboard here.)

So please check your settings prior to any cleaning operation and please read the manual or better yet Usage of IObit Products! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Solbjerg states that because of the way he has the other settings selected, he can use the Clean Clipboard function without issue. He also suggests that you review this thread : http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=5976

I read the opinion of the poster on the thread you linked to... as I read the whole thread. My opinion is quite different. My impression of the post was that it was a rant with no evidence provided to support the conclusion!

I hope that by unchecking the Clean Clipboard setting your problem is relieved!:-D

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. From your reply... "Back to the iobit-Software: Once in a while, I have previously noticed some widget-like thingy that rated the system status/performance from A to C (or worse) - that one has not shown over the last weeks on my desktop at all."

That was the Performance Monitor... it was in ASC(two versions ago), then removed in the last version, but because of its popularity has now returned in the newest version of ASC released on 1/06/2012. If you want the newest version of ASC... you can find it here:http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=12254

... Performance Monitor... it was in ASC(two versions ago), then removed in the last version, but because of its popularity has now returned in the newest version of ASC released on 1/06/2012. If you want the newest version of ASC... you can find it here:http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=12254

tx, downloaded v. 5.1 manually, yet did not find Performance Monitor and how to get it running (again).

Did you activate it in the Settings at General Settings?

Did you double click on Pmonitor.exe in the main ASC5 folder ?

If you did both, please check the coordinates of Performance Monitor icon on the GUI.

You can find Config.ini of PMonitor @

C:\Users\Windows7\AppData\Roaming\IObit\Advanced SystemCare V5\PMonitor

Make sure that

Top=

and

Left=

values are defined to be in the PC monitor screen limits.

For example : 332 & 575

Cheers.

I hope this will be helpful to run and see Performance Monitor.

Cheers.

Did you activate it in the Settings at General Settings?

Did you double click on Pmonitor.exe in the main ASC5 folder ?

I hope this will be helpful to run and see Performance Monitor.

:razz: tx

With copy/paste working again, now the only thing left might be figuring out what the pin/unpin feature - which I don't recall having seen in the previous incarnation of PMonitor - is all about.

If you pin, it will stay as it is on the desktop and if you unpin, it will fade away only leaving the alternating coloring PM icon with a capital letter A, B, or C on the desktop.

Also, clicking on (i) and OK at the bottom right of PMonitor on alternating GUIs, it will change from Recommendation to graphics and vice versa.

BTW, it existed in ASC4 also.

Cheers.

Hi pissed

If you look in ASC 5.1 folder you will see it there.

You can start it there by clicking the pmonitor.exe icon.

In the settings you can choose to have it show up at Windows start.

It will then be on your desktop after you restart the computer.

Cheers

solbjerg

tx, downloaded v. 5.1 manually, yet did not find Performance Monitor and how to get it running (again).

I really do appreciate your help!

Hi all,

thanks for all your really pertinent information and assistance regarding the copy/paste issue as well as running Performance Monitor.

These thanks are also ment for Melody from the iobit support team, whose email I certainly did not expect to reach my inbox shortly after 7,30 a.m. on a Sunday (!) - thus I have not seen and read her helpful message before this (Monday) early morning.

As for the current incarnation of the PM tool:

Status displayed looks much more adequate than in previous versions. There one would start out with an A rating and within minutes (or at least within the hour) dropped to a C without any reason or explanation I could think of. Let's hope this also means that results meassured with this tool are more accurate now as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a longtime ASC fan (dating from the days it was AWC) and have recommended at least the free versions to many others.

BUT - the "Clean clipboard" function within Smart Ram is a killer..... leading to an effective loss of the Copy/Paste function. It has taken me many frustrating hours over several days to track down the cause.

One way and another, it really strikes me that this option should at least come with a major health warning if used when Smart Ram is also set on "Automatically free RAM while system is idle" - which I suspect most will be tempted to use. Actually, I can't really see the net benefit at all - if it's at the cost of losing "Copy/Paste".

Shouldn't there be a separate "Clean clipboard" function available that doesn't necessarily get included on auto?

Hi Steve

Well - if one has chosen to empty ones clipboard in the settings of SmartRam, one must also have thought that this was what one wanted and should not be surprised when the SmartRam actually does what it is asked to do? Do you mean that when choosing this command setting you would like a warning that tells you that the clipboard now will be emptied?

You cannot clip/paste if there is nothing there to paste!

Some users may have a need to clean out their copies - after they have pasted them and for those it makes sense to do the cleaning.

But I grant you that it would be better just to use the function manually while you cannot always know when the automatic cleaning will take place.

Cheers

solbjerg

I'm a longtime ASC fan (dating from the days it was AWC) and have recommended at least the free versions to many others.

BUT - the "Clean clipboard" function within Smart Ram is a killer..... leading to an effective loss of the Copy/Paste function. It has taken me many frustrating hours over several days to track down the cause.

One way and another, it really strikes me that this option should at least come with a major health warning if used when Smart Ram is also set on "Automatically free RAM while system is idle" - which I suspect most will be tempted to use. Actually, I can't really see the net benefit at all - if it's at the cost of losing "Copy/Paste".

Shouldn't there be a separate "Clean clipboard" function available that doesn't necessarily get included on auto?

RAM booster clean clipboard unwanted effect

i have JUST recovered from this issue myself - i found that teh RAM booster is TOTALLY clearing out the clipboard - if u can get a copy of clipbrd.exe and run it then do a screen dump you can see the screendump appear in the clipboard window for about ONE second then vanish - this is CURED by disabling the "clean clipboard" option in the RAM booster settings. Once the option is disabled the clipboard works as it once did ( THANK GOD) and cut/paste is working again. Incidentally - if you re-enable the "clean clipboard" function the problem reapears immediatly

i have JUST recovered from this issue myself - i found that teh RAM booster is TOTALLY clearing out the clipboard - if u can get a copy of clipbrd.exe and run it then do a screen dump you can see the screendump appear in the clipboard window for about ONE second then vanish - this is CURED by disabling the "clean clipboard" option in the RAM booster settings. Once the option is disabled the clipboard works as it once did ( THANK GOD) and cut/paste is working again. Incidentally - if you re-enable the "clean clipboard" function the problem reapears immediatly

Thanks for the Info.

Archived