IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ActiveX registry fix breaks Windows System Restore

supercool97

I've been using Advanced System care for about a year now and haven't had any problem. Even on the new computer I'm using now there hasn't been a problem until now. However, now when I do the registry fix, it breaks the Volume Shadow Copy Service and gives error 0x80042302. I also think it breaks something in my printer, but I won't be close enough to test that until Monday. This error only happens when registry errors dealing with the ActiveX and Component are dealt with. If someone could please find out what the registry error I should not remove, that would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I've attached a zip file with the text report generated by ASC.

Registry Scan Report.zip

Hi supercool97... Welcome to Iobit Forums!

Are you using the PRO version of ASC? And if so are you running the deep scan and have deep care enabled?

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9405&d=1327799703

Please be advised that the High risk items detected in the registry fix function pose a high risk of damage to your system if they are repaired. If you don't know what an item is, then un-tick it or move it to the ignore list!

You can try the Rescue function of ASC and if that doesn't work try using system restore...

Hope this helps!:wink:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I know that it's somewhere in the ActiveX

Are you using the PRO version of ASC? And if so are you running the deep scan and have deep care enabled?

Please be advised that the High risk items detected in the registry fix function pose a high risk of damage to your system if they are repaired. If you don't know what an item is, then un-tick it or move it to the ignore list!

You can try the Rescue function of ASC and if that doesn't work try using system restore...

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I tried ticking and unticking various parts, and the only one that causes system restore to fail is Active X and Component. I hope that someone knows which of my registry entries breaks the service.

Hi supercool

If you are using Turbo Boost (which is somewhat like GameBooster) it will close down "unneeded" services in order for other thing like fx. games to run faster on your machine, by saving resources.

If you do not need that you do not need to use TurboBoost.

So probably some of your services have been closed - you can go through them and activate them again if you want to.

Just write services.msc in Run and activate the services you need.

Recommandations for which services to use and a comprehensive explanation can be found on the BlackViper site.

Please also go through all the "problems" when running a cleaning and places all of the items you do not want cleaned in the ignore list by right clicking the item and choose Ignore. This cannot be done automatically the first times.

Please learn how to use the program by reading Usage Of IObit Products :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I've been using Advanced System care for about a year now and haven't had any problem. Even on the new computer I'm using now there hasn't been a problem until now. However, now when I do the registry fix, it breaks the Volume Shadow Copy Service and gives error 0x80042302. I also think it breaks something in my printer, but I won't be close enough to test that until Monday. This error only happens when registry errors dealing with the ActiveX and Component are dealt with. If someone could please find out what the registry error I should not remove, that would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I've attached a zip file with the text report generated by ASC.

Hi supercool97 and vett93,

Sorry for the inconvenience, please kindly help us look into this issue.:oops:

1) Have you tried the rescue of Advanced SystemCare? :?:If not, Please have a try and let us know whether it is OK.;-)

Open ASC 5>> click the button "Rescue" >>choose one restore point (note: please set restore point to the time before the problem occurred)>>click "undo"button

2) Please send us the Log folder and Backup folder under the profile folder so that we can further look into the problem.

Usual path: %appdata%\IObit\Advanced SystemCare v5

Note: Please do not find the Log folder and Backup folder under the installation folder of ASC.:!:

Hi vett93!

You are ignoring the post by Cicely! She is a direct employee of Iobit! You should communicate with her to find the solution! My experience is that as long as you communicate with the Iobit staff when they respond to you here... they will respond and solve. If you stop responding... they will too. Please view and read Cicely's post and answer her questions #1 and #2 (even if you don't think they matter)!:shock:

The vast majority of posters here including the Admins, Mods, Mediators, Malware Fighters, etc. are volunteers! But you have the attention of staff!!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Thanks, Mel. Somehow I did not see Cicely's post. Thanks for the reminder.

Hi Cicely,

I am happy to send you these logs. Please let me know where to send the files to. I like ASC and have licenses for 4 of my computers. I want to help whenever I can.

I did not try the Rescue function. I figured out another way to fix my problem without restoring to an earlier point. So I don't need to restore or rescue anything at this time.

Thanks all.

Hi vett93,

Thanks for your reply and we are very glad to hear that you are willing to help us, you are warm-hearted.:-D

1) Please send PM to me or send the logs to support@iobit.com.

2) About the Rescue issue, we still hope that you can try to use the Rescue function of ASC, it will help us look into this issue.:smile:

PS: If you are willing, we will be very happy that you can share the solution to the issue.:wink:

Thanks in advance!

Hi vett93,

Thanks for your reply, we have received your email.:-D

But it seems that you sent the wrong Backup folder , please run ASC as before to reproduce the issue, then find and send us the Backup folder under the profile folder.

Thanks in advance!:smile:

Hi Cicely,

The Backup folder has many files. One of them was probably from before I used ASC. I am not sure what you meant by wrong backup folder. There is only one backup folder under my user profile and then appdata, IObit and ASC V5.

As I stated, this is my work computer and I don't feel comfortable experimenting bugs with this computer. Maybe you should get IObit engineer to try to reproduce the bug, fix it, and let us know?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I have that problem every time, I run deep scan to uncheck all the high risk. This has been a on going problem with ASC is there anyone at IO Bit working on this. Why have this option in Deep Scan and you can not used it.

Hi jimbow86!

It is helpful to have if used properly. You can move most of the items to the ignore list so they don't reappear and you don't have to uncheck them each time.

On occasion I see an entry that I definitely know shouldn't be there so I appreciate the opportunity to fix it. For instance when I see a registry entry related to a software I know I have uninstalled I will leave it checked.:smile:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi vett93,

We are so sorry for the inconvenience, we have forwarded this issue to our engineers and we have done the tests, but we failed to reproduce the issue.

So we really hope that you can help us, could you please share your solution to the issue, it may help us look into this issue.:smile:

Thanks in advance!;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Same Problem

Hey, anything new on this. I am having the same problem. Had to use start-up repair multiple times. I have since had to uncheck all high-risk registry items each time (exceptionally annoying). Any chance you could tell me which key is causing the problem? Log file includes all high-risk reg problems I had.

Thank You

Registry Scan Report 1.txt

Hi The Shadow!

You can also move them to the ignore list by right clicking and choosing ignore. Then they shouldn't be picked up on future scans. This is a useful site in identifying some things. Won't help you much with the reg entries though... just thought I'd share it with you!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue

Hello,

I read through the posts on this thread and wanted to make it aware that I have the same thing going on. The registry fix picks up 490 issues with ActiveX and Components and two application paths labeled "Active X and Class Issues", all of which are marked as "High" in damage level. It's not a critical issue since, as you said, I can just uncheck them, but since I can't seem to select specific groups of entries to uncheck or ignore, I have to uncheck everything and then manually check the 100 or so other issues that occur. I hope that last sentence made sense. Anyway, point is that it would be quite nice to hear of a fix for this so that I didn't have to worry about that part of the scan.

I couldn't attach the Registry Scan Report because it was 326.8 KB :(

this might be usefull

// on Windows7 x64:

CoInitialize(NULL) OK

CreateVssBackupComponents() OK

InitializeForBackup() failed, 0x80042302 // VSS_E_UNEXPECTED

The same program, built with Windows7 SDK for 64-bit, works fine both on Vista and Windows 7 x64.

After test program failed, there were some error messages in the Applications log (Event Viewer/windows logs/Application):

EventID 8193 // on Windows7 & Vista

«Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154, Class not registered . Operation: Instantiating VSS server»

EventID 22 // on Windows 7

«Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80040154, Class not registered ]. Operation: Instantiating VSS server»

EventID 32 // on Vista x64

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The VSS Coordinator class is not registered. This may be caused due to a setup failure or as a result of an application's installer or uninstaller. Operation: Instantiating VSS server

These errors are caused by loss of certain permissions, you said it was your work computer, might be a change/deletion somewhere in group policies

roy

Hi scrd

Have you made sure that Volume Shadow Copy Service is enabled in your services, and then placed it in the ignore list if you want it running?

Cheers

solbjerg

// on Windows7 x64:

CoInitialize(NULL) OK

CreateVssBackupComponents() OK

InitializeForBackup() failed, 0x80042302 // VSS_E_UNEXPECTED

The same program, built with Windows7 SDK for 64-bit, works fine both on Vista and Windows 7 x64.

After test program failed, there were some error messages in the Applications log (Event Viewer/windows logs/Application):

EventID 8193 // on Windows7 & Vista

«Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154, Class not registered . Operation: Instantiating VSS server»

EventID 22 // on Windows 7

«Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80040154, Class not registered ]. Operation: Instantiating VSS server»

EventID 32 // on Vista x64

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The VSS Coordinator class is not registered. This may be caused due to a setup failure or as a result of an application's installer or uninstaller. Operation: Instantiating VSS server

roy

Archived