IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag 2,2 Free not working on my Laptop [FIXED]

Happyman

Hi!

First, let me congratulate you all for creating such great products.

I have Smart Defrag 2 Free on all my 3 PCs since long ago and have never complained since it worked flawlessly until today, on one of my laptops.

On this laptop:

AMD Phenom II, X4, N970, AMD Radeon HD6470M with 4GB DDR3 Ram on Windows 7 64 bits, and one HDD of 640GB not partitioned, no SSD, Auto Defrag doesn't seem to do it's job, as there is no date of the last defrag it did.

(:- ) This is what I get (with no brackets) when I hover my mouse or look in the panel. Although it's activated and I've made a thorough defrag and optimize, the option still doesn't display it's last defrag. It is set it up to auto start after 5 min. of idle and below 70% of activity.

On my other two PCs, there is no problem and I can view the auto defrag dates clearly. Furthermore, I know they work because I've witnessed their actions. But on this particular one, nada! No date and no action.

Can you help me please?

Thank you and waiting for your advice.

Happyman

Hi Happyman, welcome to IObit Forum! :grin:

First of all, I would advise you to Clean Install Smart Defrag 2.3, downloadable from the link in Smart Defrag 2.3 is available! .

Although you have written some of them, it will be very helpful if you can give screenshots of all the settings.

Even a function is made for a specific condition, in some PCs/Notebooks it may effect other settings which may differ from PC to PC.

Sometimes toggling a relevant option switch may well be a solution.:roll:

Cheers.

Smart Defrag 2 not working on my laptop

Thank you for answering promptly.

(About sending images) Sorry for that. :oops:

I usually do upload images on every forum I subscribe but I didn't know if it was permitted in this thread since it's my first post, I tried to explain as clearly as I could though. I will do that on my next post which will take a few days, since I do not have access to my laptop at this moment.

Regards,

Happyman

Auto Defrag not working on my Laptop

Hi again!

Ok! Did a clean uninstall with CCleaner first, then used BitRemover for residues (which removed 1 registry entry).

Oh, and unchecked the Auto Status before uninstalling, reinstalling... as recommended. Thanks!

Reinstalled version 2,30 and checked the Auto status again with the default options (5 min idle, below 60% activity).

Guess I'll have to wait a day or two to see if Auto Defrag is functioning. If not, I'll send captures of the interface and the settings.

Is there anything else I have to do before or in the meantime while it makes it's job?

Thank you again for your great help! :grin:

Happyman

Hi Happyman

You are probably right!

As far as I remember you also have the option to "Always defrag" in the settings

I think that defragment when fragmentation is below 3% only speeds up the response time in the milliseconds bracket and this is not discernible by the human senses :-)

But you can check the auto-defrag function by setting it to Always defrag after 1 minute of idle time.

I have done it like that a couple of times to test the function some time ago, - normally I don't use the the function, - I only run defrag manually.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. the auto-defrag function is ok - it is just that I like to do things manually

Other may have other needs and that is as it should be. :-)

Just did a fragmentation report and it reads: "No need to Defrag".

I guess this is why it doesn't start automatically.

Below 1%, I believe it is useless to defrag. Unless I'm wrong...

Auto Defrag not working but

But you can check the auto-defrag function by setting it to Always defrag after 1 minute of idle time.

Yes I suppose I could do that (I also use it manually sometimes). Although I know it works for already having tested it in a manual way, I find it very useful to let it defrag automatically, since I now have enough memory that it doesn't really bother what I'm doing, except when I do a heavy job in my studio or play a big game, which at this time, I simply close it. And it is done so fast that I don't even feel it's working! :-D (concerning auto defrag)

You guys do a wonderful job on making it easy for us! :-P

I've been using it since version 1 and I never had to complain once about it in my other PCs (since now :-) ).

I believe I could raise the occupancy % of the system a bit to make it start earlier. But since it will not operate when I'm below 1%, it must mean that my PC is in order. Come to think of it, I wonder why I got so bothered about that. :lol:

Thus, I'll wait until it really goes higher than 1% and see if it does it's job... I believe it will start when it's really worth it, at which time I'll send you some more feedback if it doesn't. It might take a few days though..

EDIT: Oh, and just to let you know that I tried a bootup defrag and it works perfectly, and Geez, it's really fast!

Anything else I should do?

Thanks grandly for your advice, solbjerg! I like to read and follow it.

My deepest respects to you, my friend!

Happyman

Hi Happyman

Thank you for the kind words!

I see SmartDefrag as one of the best - if not the best free defragmentation tools around.

I read somewhere some time ago that after 3% fragmentation the delay (in the milliseconds) started to rise more sharply - and after 5%-10% where it rose even more sharply, began to be noticable by the human senses.

In a couple of my old posts about auto-defrag I told how the function reacted by me and backed it up with some screenshots.

If you are sufficiently interested you should be able to find those posts I think.

Thanks again

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes I suppose I could do that (I also use it manually sometimes). Although I know it works for already having tested it in a manual way, I find it very useful to let it defrag automatically, since I now have enough memory that it doesn't really bother what I'm doing, except when I do a heavy job in my studio or play a big game, which at this time, I simply close it. And it is done so fast that I don't even feel it's working! :-D (concerning auto defrag)

You guys do a wonderful job on making it easy for us! :-P

I've been using it since version 1 and I never had to complain once about it in my other PCs (since now :-) ).

I believe I could raise the occupancy % of the system a bit to make it start earlier. But since it will not operate when I'm below 1%, it must mean that my PC is in order. Come to think of it, I wonder why I got so bothered about that. :lol:

Thus, I'll wait until it really goes higher than 1% and see if it does it's job... I believe it will start when it's really worth it, at which time I'll send you some more feedback if it doesn't. It might take a few days though..

EDIT: Oh, and just to let you know that I tried a bootup defrag and it works perfectly, and Geez, it's really fast!

Anything else I should do?

Thanks grandly for your advice, solbjerg! I like to read and follow it.

My deepest respects to you, my friend!

Happyman

Auto Defrag not working on my Laptop

About my kind words, I really believe you deserve it. You and whoever works with you.

I don't remember when you did publish your Defrag program for the first time but I use it since it became official, although I never wrote back to comment (my apologies :oops: )

I will make a search for those threads because I find it useful to know what happens when the PC gets "dirty", and how it is cleansed, so to say :wink:

Keep on making useful software such as this and you will surely conserve my admiration for a very long time!

I might not be rich, but I know that fortune starts within the heart and soul.

(Musicians like me are sensible people)

Succeed my friend, now and always!

Happyman

Hi Happyman!

Welcome here!

Your kind words and encouragement to our friend Solbjerg are appreciated by all the other volunteers as well!:-D Thank you!

Solbjerg consistently demonstrates through his posts here: knowledge, wisdom, patience, and perseverance... (the latter of which I am weakest in).

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Melvin_Deal!

About your latter word, for me it's the second before the latter, Patience, which is low in my virtues. :lol: And a few of the others also.

Well, I guess it pays in the (Long?) end to keep a guy like him around ;-)

Isn't it Solbjerg?

And guys like you and me to learn how to hold on to them (the virtues I mean). :grin:

By the way, your salute is exactly what we use where I work.

A Star Trek fan game (Vulcan salute)! I'm creating music there.

But that is another story... Reading about all the said virtues, I'm learning now in two places :smile: so twice as fast.

Q'apla! (Success!) (pronounce Kaplah!) Klingon word.

Old Souvenirs

Solbjerg, I read a few of your past messages with images and found them very interesting. It made me think back when I was using Win 93 and then 95. Whew!

At that time I had problems even configuring a mouse driver. Imagine when I had to scan and defrag...took me a technician.

Ahh! those colored screen backgrounds, big choice of...16 colors!

But it was progress at that time..I was one of the lucky few that could use and afford them. Yeah! I was scared as hell just pressing the Enter key! :lol:

Doing low and high level scans was a risky job for me. My worst nightmare was typing c_\scandisk, c_\defrag, which I was mistaking for c_\format. Afterwards I learned a few tricks and shortcuts. But now I don't even have to suffer about not knowing them right because now, there is Smart Defrag 2!

Cheers my friend!

Happyman

Hi Happyman

Glad you found it of interest!

I remember enjoying looking at the Windows defrag back in the middle of the nineties, but it did take some time and I used Vopt for a while at the end of the nineties.

Now I am happy using SmartDefrag.

I also still run a full chkdsk once a month at least. I lost a harddisk back in the nineties from neglecting to do any Scandisk - as it was called then.

So I have since then done a chkdsk regulary.

I still use XP and my harddisks are more than 10 years old, but doesn't exhibit any "tiredness" yet. Have changed my motherboard though once to get some more speed.

I do keep up to 5 copies of the important files and 3 full copies of the harddisks in different places in case of disaster.

Regarding the English↔Danish dictionary which has been - and is - an ongoing process for years I think I even have 7 copies stored in different places. (+ those stored at www.freelang.net)

I do have some files where each of them has taken me more than 100 hours to make, so it would be very sad to loose those.

I have invested more than 1000 hours on my poems, but most of these I have on paper too. Some of the files are suitable mostly for the computer so I have to keep those in electronic media.

@ Melvin

Thank you for your kind words!!

Cheers

solbjerg

Solbjerg, I read a few of your past messages with images and found them very interesting. It made me think back when I was using Win 93 and then 95. Whew!

At that time I had problems even configuring a mouse driver. Imagine when I had to scan and defrag...took me a technician.

Ahh! those colored screen backgrounds, big choice of...16 colors!

But it was progress at that time..I was one of the lucky few that could use and afford them. Yeah! I was scared as hell just pressing the Enter key! :lol:

Doing low and high level scans was a risky job for me. My worst nightmare was typing c_\scandisk, c_\defrag, which I was mistaking for c_\format. Afterwards I learned a few tricks and shortcuts. But now I don't even have to suffer about not knowing them right because now, there is Smart Defrag 2!

Cheers my friend!

Happyman

Careful you said?

Hi again solbjerg!

Now with all the great programs that exist, it's easier to scan a disk and keep it clean. It is also more important, as I believe HDD have a much smaller life span nowadays than before. I had a small 120MB disk that worked until 5 years ago (since 1981), when my PC blew it's power supply and everything around it.

Power supplies were the componants that I*had to change often to keep my PC running smoothly.

I still have to check on that today...

I remember back in those times (after I got over my fears of the PC) when every I did in the PC was important and I had to save them on 720Kb and 1040Kb Floppy disks to transfer them in another one, make copies of them and check them regularly (I was creating MIDI music). I still have those disks, although they're dead and useless. But because I was a maniac at that time, I still have the songs in my Win 7 PC and I'm listening to them from time to time. I'm talking; more than 30 years back of memories that I still can use today. And it was only MIDI music and texts.

So yes, as you kindly mentioned, it IS important to keep all components clean and in order.

I believe that with the great work you all did and still do, you have to be very careful in all you do. The result of all this is very obvious today! Thumbs up!

EDIT: And good news guys! I just saw that my laptop made it's first Auto Defrag today and boy, am I happy! Well, looks like all my PCs are happy and rolling smoothly now, Thank you deeply! I just went up a few steps on my patience virtue! ;)

Success guys!

Happyman

Ahh, yes! Those famous punch cards! No I never used those.

They were mostly used in the company where I was working for. And yes they were white cards. And yes again, they made useful note cards. Well, kind of yellowish white cards..used mostly for the payroll department, before they had those IBM Burrows code machine to make automatic invoices. IBM's ones were also used, with the blue lining at the top.

Later, they tried Mylar based (like the tapes) cards that had a kind of blackish color, with yellow lining, a bit like your image but darker. It didn't work because the card couldn't support heat, and they were curling heavily. But they were supposed to be impossible to rip apart... theoretically!

We're talking 1960 - 1970's here aren't we? :-D

EDIT: Correct, mid 60s! :-D

BTW, did you use punch cards

Enoskype, you can Not be that Old! :shock:

Where did you encounter 'punch-cards', in some Museum ?:?:

I hated the huge, noisy machines, since it was my job to repair them,

when I started working at Texas-Instruments Inc.

You're right Toppack! Noisy? It was war in there! Those machines used to break down often, tapes snapping, relays jamming, and what so ever.. I wasn't a technician but I was always bringing spare parts to them. :-)

..And the heat they produced could warm up a house. We had to keep those dang "furnaces" from heating with air conditioners to the max, even in the winter. Dang was it cold in there :shock: !

Absolutely No Smoking (yeah we could smoke everywhere in that time) in that area or ever near it. It was like a sci-fi movie in there. If you had to go near them, you had to wear a net over your head and a white robe...at least where I was working.

Those were the days my friend!

Cheers!

Happyman

You're right Toppack! Noisy? It was war in there! Those machines used to break down often,

Those were the days my friend!

Happyman

Yes, we were all very Happy when we Scraped those Monsters!

We had a guy that was so angry at it he was ready to Push one of them through a second-floor window,

(and those are Not easy to push)

but I convenced him he would loose his job, if he pushed it any further. :roll:

You never forget things like that. :lol:

You never forget things like that

I agree with you!

Where I was working, there was many depressions in the department. Not specifically about the machines but about some working conditions. So much in fact that they had to hire a few motivators to help out with it.

Luckily, I was rather the happy mood guy at that time, it helped me a lot. And I still am today! :smile:

Well back to work for me until Monday!

Happy weekend!

Happyman

• 2 weeks later...

Groan!!....

I had those punchcards in College! :cry:

...glad to get rid of them Eno! :mrgreen:

-Cowboy

That's a sweet success, thumbs up, happy riding Happyman. :-D

BTW, did you use punch cards http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9842&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335902417 in Fortran II (Basic FORTRAN)-Fortran IV (FORTRAN) times? :lol:

It was a great fun and the white ones made very useful notecards later on.:razz:

All the best and cheers.

Archived