IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows 8 homegroup issue?

I have ASC AV installed on my home pc as well as my laptop. The pc is running windows 7 and my laptop is running WIN 8. After installing ASC AV on my laptop it behaved as if it was infected with a virus; extremely slow, lockups etc. This would happen shortly after the ASC AV install. I uninstalled, checked for malware and viruses using multiple programs but never found an infection. The laptop would run perfectly when dropping back to ASC 5. During these episodes I noticed action center displayed files being shared to homegroup, which seemed to be locking up the system. Yesterday, I removed my laptop from the homegroup, re-installed ASC AV on my laptop and it has been running smoothly since.

Obviously, I am running a pre-release version of WIN 8 and should expect issues. I thought I would post in case anyone else is seeing this. I will probably upgrade to WIN 8 when it is released and retest again with homegroup joined.

Update: please see my "upon further review" later in this thread; looking for help

Hi jmagnus

Great - intelligent post!!

Will probably help several people in the time to come!

Hat off to you!

Cheers

solbjerg

I have ASC AV installed on my home pc as well as my laptop. The pc is running windows 7 and my laptop is running WIN 8. After installing ASC AV on my laptop it behaved as if it was infected with a virus; extremely slow, lockups etc. This would happen shortly after the ASC AV install. I uninstalled, checked for malware and viruses using multiple programs but never found an infection. The laptop would run perfectly when dropping back to ASC 5. During these episodes I noticed action center displayed files being shared to homegroup, which seemed to be locking up the system. Yesterday, I removed my laptop from the homegroup, re-installed ASC AV on my laptop and it has been running smoothly since.

Obviously, I am running a pre-release version of WIN 8 and should expect issues. I thought I would post in case anyone else is seeing this. I will probably upgrade to WIN 8 when it is released and retest again with homegroup joined.

Upon further review

As stated earlier, I suspected homegroup in WIN8 had something to do with my laptop coming to a screeching halt with ASC AV. However, I noticed this morning that my system again was running at a snails pace, almost inoperable. I was able to run quickcare in ASC AV and my system has returned to normal performance. I have attached the registry report from this scan hoping someone can spot an issue. Thanks for any help.

Check your DWM.exe file and the amount of CPU it is using. After a reboot the DWM.exe file does not use much CPU but my experience has been that after using the computer for a while the amount of CPU usage goes up significantly especially if you are doing things like copying files or anything that involves extensive use of Windows Explorer. It could be the use of the Home Group coupled with ASC w AV is causing the DWM.exe file to use more CPU.

I had a problem with the DWM.exe file using a ton of CPU on my Netbook. I finally said to heck with it and replaced Windows with Ubuntu on my Netbook.

In fact I just installed Wine and will test to see if any of the IObit program run in Wine.:idea:8:)

Check your DWM.exe file and the amount of CPU it is using. After a reboot the DWM.exe file does not use much CPU but my experience has been that after using the computer for a while the amount of CPU usage goes up significantly especially if you are doing things like copying files or anything that involves extensive use of Windows Explorer. It could be the use of the Home Group coupled with ASC w AV is causing the DWM.exe file to use more CPU.

I had a problem with the DWM.exe file using a ton of CPU on my Netbook. I finally said to heck with it and replaced Windows with Ubuntu on my Netbook.

In fact I just installed Wine and will test to see if any of the IObit program run in Wine.:idea:8:)

Thanks for the input Buddahfan, your DWM explanation sure describes what has been happening. A different OS is not an option for me; is there a method to control the CPU usage of DWM.exe without frequent restarting?

Thanks for the input Buddahfan, your DWM explanation sure describes what has been happening. A different OS is not an option for me; is there a method to control the CPU usage of DWM.exe without frequent restarting?

I think the problem has to do with Aero. You can research it further using you favorite search engine. I think you can disable Aero or modify its default settings to reduce CPU usage, though I am not sure.

You should start by just searching "DWM.exe CPU problem" and go from there. I think Aero should show up somewhere in the chain.

P.S. The main reason I decided to switch to Ubuntu is because W8-RP and probably W8 RTM are not compatible with my Netbook's CPU due to a security enhancement in W8 beginning with W8-RP. Once I was using W8-CP, which expires next Jan or Feb there was no way to go back to W7, believe mean when I say I tried. Since I had used Unix years ago and even Ubuntu for a while several years ago I was comfortable switching to it on my Netbook. Still trying to figure out how to network it with my W8 desktop computers, but there is no rush. If it never happens no biggie since I really don't use the Netbook for anything other than surfing the Net; i.e. I don't create any files with it. Therefore no need to have it networked. If I ever figure out how to network it with W8 then I might create a few files with it when I need to use it.

I give up, for now

My problems with WIN 8 and ASC AV have continued and I have dropped back to ASC 5. I suspect Buddahfan was correct about the issue with Windows and the DWM.exe file. Hopefully this issue will be resolved in further updates of WIN8 and ASC AV.

Found the problem!!!!

My problems with WIN 8 and ASC AV have continued and I have dropped back to ASC 5. I suspect Buddahfan was correct about the issue with Windows and the DWM.exe file. Hopefully this issue will be resolved in further updates of WIN8 and ASC AV.

I got lucky today. I re-installed ASC AV 2013 and ran some video online trying to overload the system again. Shortly, the CPU usage went to 100% and everything came to a screeching halt (almost). I decided to try changing the power settings on my laptop from power saver to high performance and the system immediately performed perfectly. I am using a HP Pavilion laptop. Let's hope running on high performance power setting alleviates the issue with ASC AV.

I curious what the 'Power-saver' setting, in the HP, actually disables or changes?

Does it disable some processor-cores, part of RAM or What?

I remember that HP always did things a little Different than other manufacturers. :lol:

I curious what the 'Power-saver' setting, in the HP, actually disables or changes?

Does it disable some processor-cores, part of RAM or What?

I remember that HP always did things a little Different than other manufacturers. :lol:

Good question, I really don't know but I'll investigate. I am going to run on the "balanced" power setting for a while and see how that goes. The issues seemed to be be triggered when streaming video.

Hi jmagnus,

I am curious about the result of balanced power setting.:mrgreen:

Do you still have this problem now?

Cicely,

When I put my laptop in the balanced power setting, I have had some (much less than using power saver) slowing down and brief lockups when streaming video online. If I switch the power setting to high performance, the problems disappear.

Archived