IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Shredder bug? Help ='(

Amanda_L

Hi everyone, I couldn't find any answer on google (yes) so I just created my account here, sorry if this topic already exists!

I was shredding a file (4.29GB) and this happened:

http://imageshack.us/a/img4/5060/capturevec.png

Wonder how long it will take? Is it normal to overpass the 100%? Iobit should consider 100% the limit, not 300% (current percentage) or even more, god knows where is the limit. :|

Hi everyone, I couldn't find any answer on google (yes) so I just created my account here, sorry if this topic already exists!

I cut out the repeat screenshot.

Wonder how long it will take? Is it normal to overpass the 100%? Iobit should consider 100% the limit, not 300% (current percentage) or even more, god knows where is the limit. :|

Considering the size of the file (4.29 GB) ... it could take a long time. In your case with the Ubuntu please don't interrupt the process! Let it finish and just tap your toes.

I do hope you tell us how long it takes!!! And if you have achievied your objective!!!:mrgreen:

Please also tell us the total capacity of your HD (harddrive).:-D

Iobit should consider 100% the limit, not 300% (current percentage) or even more, god knows where is the limit. :neutral:
This is an obvious bug in the reporting!!! Thank you for that!!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Funny is, 1st time I tried to shredd the file, the power went down, I thought I'd lose the file but it's still here. I Also had set the shredder to do 10 passes the 1st time, last time I checked it was about 700% (from 1000% I presume).

This time I have set the shredder to do the 35x pass. Let's see how long it takes, maybe a week or two :mrgreen: JK

My HD is 320GB in total (298.1, considering the GB of a HD is 931.532MB).

About the "7 passes should take 700%", let's say I shredd a file of 1GB on 10 passes. I should not take 1000% to finish (as seen in the TOTAL PROGRESS bar) but 100%. Also each pass should take 10% of the current progress bar, OR 100% on the current progress bar = 1 pass AND 10% on the total progress bar. It seem confusing that some files will take 400% to delete, what would people think? hahaha

Hi Mel,

Did you consider that the shredding metod is DOD?

One pass could be considered 100%, and seven passes could be 700%.

Cheers.

Aye Enoskype...

I have considered this.

This is why I state that it is a bug.

100% is everything... by mathematics. 700% doesn't exist by math.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Edit: 100% is everything - yeah but of what?

10 times 7 will increase the original 10 by 700% :-)

Today it isn't at all unusual to see profits of 700% on some goods unfortunately :-)

I am sure that shopkeepers will support your statement that 700% doesn't exist :-)

Amanda_L

About the "7 passes should take 700%", let's say I shredd a file of 1GB on 10 passes. I should not take 1000% to finish (as seen in the TOTAL PROGRESS bar) but 100%. Also each pass should take 10% of the current progress bar, OR 100% on the current progress bar = 1 pass AND 10% on the total progress bar. It seem confusing that some files will take 400% to delete, what would people think? hahaha

Thanks Amanda for understanding and sharing math!:wink:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Thanks Amanda for understanding and sharing math!:wink:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Sorry if it seemed that way :? but it seems more logical to me that on a 10 passes shred, each pass should take 10% on the total progress bar and no 100% like it is, giving the impression that the work is done when it's not.

It'd be a lot easier to understand if it were the same layout as I thought:

(Original time and percentage)

http://imageshack.us/a/img231/4352/capture2qq.png

(Proposition) - Had to photoshop it -

http://imageshack.us/a/img90/3904/28743109.jpg

EDIT: Took me about 5 and a half hours to delete that file on the 35x pass.

Hi Amanda

I suppose your first screenshot shows a Gutman method with 10 over-write passes?

The top progress bar then shows the status of each pass?

The other progress bar shows the status of all the passes, right?

You just have to imagine the decimal sign there then :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Sorry if it seemed that way :? but it seems more logical to me that on a 10 passes shred, each pass should take 10% on the total progress bar and no 100% like it is, giving the impression that the work is done when it's not.

It'd be a lot easier to understand if it were the same layout as I thought:

(Original time and percentage)

http://imageshack.us/a/img231/4352/capture2qq.png

(Proposition) - Had to photoshop it -

http://imageshack.us/a/img90/3904/28743109.jpg

EDIT: Took me about 5 and a half hours to delete that file on the 35x pass.

Hi Amanda

I suppose your first screenshot shows a Gutman method with 10 over-write passes?

The top progress bar then shows the status of each pass?

The other progress bar shows the status of all the passes, right?

You just have to imagine the decimal sign there then :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

- EDIT/ No, the 1st screen is a DoD with 10 passes. The 2nd and 3rd screen are Gutman with 35 passes

- No, the top shows the overall progress in fact (at least with that file). I may try to do it was well with other files but chances are this is a common error, the -current bar- showing the overall progress while it should be showing the current (or pass) progress if you will.

- Incorrect. The bottom bar shows a false overall number, as seen as +900% in the 2nd screen.

- Now that I sort of understand the way it works I could, altough the shredding ended with +2000% on the total progress bar and +-80% on the current progress bar, making the statement that 7 passes = 700% on the overall job false.

Hi Amanda

I tried to delete a couple of superfluous files (they were both under 100 Kb)

The process was over so fast (35 passes) that I failed to see much, but it seemed that both bars followed each other exactly and both said 100% when finished here by me?

Years ago I tried overwriting my empty space by making a number (10-12) of Notepads filled with zeroes (Max size for each 4 GB) and when done deleting all of them. That took a while :-)

My disk size 60 GB and at that time about 45 GB free space.

Cheers

solbjerg

- YES.

- No, the top shows the overall progress in fact (at least with that file). I may try to do it was well with other files but chances are this it's a common error. The -current bar- showing the overall progress while it should be showing the current (or pass) progress if you will.

- Incorrect. The bottom bar shows a false overall number, as seen as +900% in the 2nd screen.

- Now that I sort of understand the way it works I could, altough the shredding ended with +2000% on the total progress bar and +-80% on the current progress bar, making the statement that 7 passes = 700% on the overall job false.

Hi Amanda

I tried to delete a couple of superfluous files (they were both under 100 Kb)

The process was over so fast (35 passes) that I failed to see much, but it seemed that both bars followed each other exactly and both said 100% when finished here by me?

Cheers

solbjerg

I'll try as well and keep you posted. You should see and update in the next minutes.

UPDATE 1 - Some files such as ASCSetup, OriginThinSetup or Virtualbox (all .exe) deleted sussesfully folowing the same percentage on both bars. The copied folder of a Steam game (888MB) also followed the same way (.RAR file), 100% on both bars. A videoclip (350MB) also worked great. BUT, an ISO file (+5GB) is following the same bug than before I guess, current bar is showing 1% while total bar is showing 3%. Should I consider it the same bug as before? I assume files bigger than 1GB cause this to happen, or files that are not able to be oppened with regular programas such as 7zip file opener let's say.

PS: I'll wait some more time and post all screens here, just waiting a bit more to see what happens with this ISO file.

Ok Amanda

I can't follow you there - I do not have those kind of files on my computer - the biggest is Bookshelf basic (about 250 MB)- and I do not want to delete that :-)

By the way I am a user like you!

Cheers

solbjerg

I'll try as well and keep you posted. You should see and update in the next minutes.

UPDATE 1 - Some files such as ASCSetup, OriginThinSetup or Virtualbox (all .exe) deleted sussesfully folowing the same percentage on both bars. The copied folder of a Steam game (888MB) also followed the same way (.RAR file), 100% on both bars. A videoclip (350MB) also worked great. BUT, an ISO file (+5GB) is following the same bug than before I guess, current bar is showing 1% while total bar is showing 3%. Should I consider it the same bug as before? I assume files bigger than 1GB cause this to happen, or files that are not able to be oppened with regular programas such as 7zip file opener let's say.

PS: I'll wait some more time and post all screens here, just waiting a bit more to see what happens with this ISO file.

Screenshots

VirtualBox.exe

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/2264/virtuallw.png

VideoClip

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/2108/videoa.png

Origin Setup

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/1798/originh.png

ISO file (acting as expected before)

http://imageshack.us/a/img825/2865/isoz.png

Password Protected .rar game folder

http://imageshack.us/a/img688/3168/gridjt.png

I'm pretty sure big files cause that. I know many users don't delete big files like those (only pictures of naked neighbours?), but you should consider getting it fixed :mrgreen:

Ok Amanda

I can't follow you there - I do not have those kind of files on my computer - the biggest is Bookshelf basic (about 250 MB)- and I do not want to delete that

By the way I am a user like you!

Cheers

solbjerg

User like me? Can you clarify yourself?

Amanda_L

Thank you for the excellent feedback, and as Solbjerg said, I am sure the Iobit programmers will make good use of the feedback.

However, may I make a suggestion.... as you rightly pointed out, File shredding is primarily used to allow users to shred files which they feel contain sensitive and or personal data, thereby making them unreadable/unusable by anyone else.

Shredding files such as movies, does not really achieve anything. In fact it creates more work for your machine, due to the fact that you now have a large area on your disc which is not empty but is unreadable, and more than likely highly defragmented. You are much better off to simply delete such files, do a defrag, and the deleted file will quickly become unrecoverable.

Also, if there are genuinely large files which contain sensitive info, and you wish to shred them, you may consider splitting the file into smaller files and shredding then.

Edit: there are another somewhat related post here:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=14070

Hi Amanda

Fine informative post! Thank you!

I think an IObit employee will report your findings to the developers.

I am Danish and have accepted the title administrator here to try to help other users.

More information here: http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=40751&postcount=1

Cheers

solbjerg

Thank you. I'm not currently interested in the administrator title *if that's what you meant*, but I'd be more than happy to help whenever an issue appears.

Cheers.

:shock:

Did someone say Something about "Naked Neighbors" :shock::?:

Ooops!

Amanda_L

Thank you for the excellent feedback, and as Solbjerg said, I am sure the Iobit programmers will make good use of the feedback.

However, may I make a suggestion.... as you rightly pointed out, File shredding is primarily used to allow users to shred files which they feel contain sensitive and or personal data, thereby making them unreadable/unusable by anyone else.

Shredding files such as movies, does not really achieve anything. In fact it creates more work for your machine, due to the fact that you now have a large area on your disc which is not empty but is unreadable, and more than likely highly defragmented. You are much better off to simply delete such files, do a defrag, and the deleted file will quickly become unrecoverable.

Also, if there are genuinely large files which contain sensitive info, and you wish to shred them, you may consider splitting the file into smaller files and shredding then.

Edit: there are another somewhat related post here:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=14070

Thank you. I feel that shredding large files will improve security as per say a virus in a virtual machine, or if the videoclip has a trojan or some software programmed to harm your computer. If I download a mod containing a virus, just deleting it would not make me feel safe, because the virus could re-appear as simply deleting would not actually delete the space where the file was, only making it avaliable fo writing. That's the reason I choose to shredd any file I suspect is harmfull, It doesn't matter if it is 1KB or 10GB, safe shredding on that disk space would make it a lot easier then just do a 6 hours 3 slow passes (0's and 1's) zerofill and re copy all my data to my HD whenever a suspect file appears to me.

PS: I noticed some other day that deleting savegames folder, even with 500KB, will take too much time giving the number of archives.

Here's how I suppose the shredder delete on the Simple Mode, deleting subfolder A/finished; deleting subfolder B/finished. Problem is it takes too much time. It took about FOUR HOURS to delete a 500KB game save folder with the simple mode (filled with zeroes). As the graph bellow suggests:

http://imageshack.us/a/img87/60/core1y.jpg

As seen above, I suppose the passes take place on each folder and subfoder and so on, consuming too much time. I'd propose as bellow, taking the entire place where the main save folder is, let's say "D:\EA\Crysis" being Crysis the main folder I want to delete.

http://imageshack.us/a/img39/2678/core2i.jpg

Anyway that's all guys :-D

User/Member/Leader

User like me? Can you clarify yourself?

Solbjerg meant that as he is a user just like yourself (as am I) and that he once upon a time signed up here as a member (just like you)... then found the forum helpful and began posting with help as well... one day he woke up an administrator.

It is a good thing!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Well, good for him! Hahaha

But I presume I don't have the same knowledge as him or any moderator, I'm just a regular girl that once upon a time tried to understand why 2000% exists on a overall progress bar, or even why put two bars showing the same percentage! That's just..... nonsense. :oops: hhahahahaha

Anyway, thanks for your support, everyone.

Hi Amanda L.

As you well know the mathematics don't add up and this has been reported on a different thread.;-)

But I presume I don't have the same knowledge as him or any moderator
No individuals here have the same knowledge and all are valuable... some are even charismatic and dynamic!

I very much appreciate your input here as I'm just a regular guy!:-) I do hope you continue here...

Anyway, thanks for your support, everyone.
I'll support you if you support me... then we can continue to learn together!!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Toppack!

No individuals here have the same knowledge and all are valuable... some are even charismatic and dynamic!

Perhaps I was speaking of you? Or perhaps to you...(or perhaps not), after all you are an individual here! Perhaps I was speaking in code? Who knows??

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

As you well know the mathematics don't add up and this has been reported on a different thread.;-)

I very much appreciate your input here as I'm just a regular guy!:-) I do hope you continue here... I'll support you if you support me... then we can continue to learn together!!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Thank you for your kind words.

I intend to post as soon as something weird happen or even when I just need to criticize something, but I'm affraid it won't happen at any time soon. I only use ASC at the momment, and as other iobit software will being used maybe I'll find something that can be reported here in the forum. Meanwhile keep your great work! One of the best forums there are.

Perhaps I was speaking of you? Or perhaps to you...(or perhaps not), after all you are an individual here! Perhaps I was speaking in code? Who knows??

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

:lol:

Yes, but 'Lofty Praise' makes us Nervous! :? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

After trying to delete another large file (8.69GB) I decided to move on to another shredder, yours seems to really lose it's feet. Even on quick delete it almost took 10 hours and didn't delete, like the image bellow shows:

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/5111/capturewl.png

Really? 6.000%?

Sorry can't accept this. Maybe when and IF you fix this problem I could get back on iobit shredder.

Thanks for your time.

Archived