IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

advanced system care and madexcept update error

ylidor

Hi guys,

Several days ago I installed the free edition of ASC with Antivirus 2013 on my Vista laptop. Since then I get periodically error messages generated by madExcept module of the program (see attachment). Any ideas what is the problem and how should I handled it? FYI, when I click on one of the bottons ("restart application" "close application" "send bug report" etc) madExcept start to process the request but get hanged up and nothing happens, so I need to terminate it by killing its process.

Thanks, Ron :roll:

Hi ylidor, welcome to IObit Forum! :-D

"madExcept" is part of ASC (and also many IObit products') installation.

It is seen that the error is caused by freezing of the Autoupdate.exe. Try to turn Auto update off and run manual udate to see if it Works.

If you give more information, someone in the forum may find the root of the culprit.

I would recommend Clean Install of ASC with Antivirus 2013. Clean install is explained HERE and THERE.

Cheers.

Hi ylidor, welcome to IObit Forum! :-D

"madExcept" is part of ASC (and also many IObit products') installation.

It is seen that the error is caused by freezing of the Autoupdate.exe. Try to turn Auto update off and run manual udate to see if it Works.

If you give more information, someone in the forum may find the root of the culprit.

I would recommend Clean Install of ASC with Antivirus 2013. Clean install is explained HERE and THERE.

Cheers.

I will second that suggestion:-)

hi ylidor

As far as I know IObit recommends that when you install the ASC with Antivirus you should first uninstall previous versions of ASC - also they recommend that you should not run other antivirus programs on the same machine.

In my opinion there could easily be some conflict between the madexcept from the different versions.

Cheers

solbjerg

Buddahafan and enoskype,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try clean install and report here if it was successful. Ron

hi ylidor

As far as I know IObit recommends that when you install the ASC with Antivirus you should first uninstall previous versions of ASC - also they recommend that you should not run other antivirus programs on the same machine.

In my opinion there could easily be some conflict between the madexcept from the different versions.

Cheers

solbjerg

As a general rule this is correct and the accepted meme among computer people. I would totally agree with respect to anyone less than an advanced computer user. However when a AV program asks "Do you want to install ASCU in a 'compatibility mode' " with another AV product, in my case avast! AIS 7 it is an open door for the advanced user to try it and see if their computer/computers likes/like it, which mine do8:)

Hi Buddahfan

In my understanding "compatibility mode" entails that the antivirus part of ASCU doesn't run, - isn't that so?

This in my opinion doesn't test the antivirus part of the program?

Cheers

solbjerg

As a general rule this is correct and the accepted meme among computer people. I would totally agree with respect to anyone less than an advanced computer user. However when a AV program asks "Do you want to install ASCU in a 'compatibility mode' " with another AV product, in my case avast! AIS 7 it is an open door for the advanced user to try it and see if their computer/computers likes/like it, which mine do8:)

???

Are you saying that when they are installed in compatibility-mode,

Anti-virus protection is completely Disabled, in ASC/AV and in ASCU,

or just a portion of AV is disabled ?

Note - I've Not installed either of those yet, so 'I Know Nothing' :lol:

The portion of Real-Time protection (At the time of a virus is imported or a virutical action starts in the PC, or a removable disk is connected, etc.) is disabled not to cause complication because of existance of an other antivirus software with real-time protection. (SAS is included but MBAM excluded.)

On the other hand if you want to Full Scan, Smart Scan or Custom Scan or Right-Click Scan with "ASC with Antivirus/ASCU", it will scan and if finds anything, it will react as described and adjusted in Settings.

I don't know how else I can describe.:oops: :lol:

Cheers.

The portion of Real-Time protection is disabled not to cause complication because of existance of an other antivirus software with real-time protection.

Okay, Thanks, I think i understand what it Does,

but I still Don't understand why there would be Complications :?:

(If they programed it correctly) :wink:

Since Other modern Real-time Security programs run at same time,

with No problems.

If someone has a very old version, of some out-dated security software, they need to Upgrade.

That's why I 'Want' two Secutity programs running,

to have Double the Real-time Security. :idea:

Without Both being Active and running, at all times, there's No need to have two loaded.

Hi Toppack

As I understand enoskype he is saying that real-time-protection only works in one of your antivirus programs at a time.

But that you can run a manual scan with the other antivirus program - just not use the real-time-virus protection, which works automatically in the background on the files used/downloaded, I suppose.

Your argument would lead to that the more antivirus programs you had on the computer the better it would be.

(I am sure that this is not so) :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Okay, Thanks, I think i understand what it Does,

but I still Don't understand why there would be Complications :?:

(If they programed it correctly) :wink:

Since most Other Real-time Security programs run at same time,

with No problems.

That's why I 'Want' two Secutity programs running,

to have Double the Real-time Security. :idea:

we recommend for problems with ASC with AV 2013 (ASCU)

we recommend for problems with ASC with AV 2013 (ASCU):

ASC with AV 2013 uninstall

thereafter

BitDefender Uninstall Tool for the remainder

and

thereafter

ASC with AV 2013 NEW install

--> IObit Malware Fighter Team

--> IObit ASCU Team

--> IObit Europe LABS Team

--> IObit Europe Team

Hi Toppack

As I understand enoskype he is saying that real-time-protection only works in one of your antivirus programs at a time.

But that you can run a manual scan with the other antivirus program - just not use the real-time-virus protection, which works automatically in the background on the files used/downloaded, I suppose.

Yes, that's the way I understand it to be.

Your argument would lead to that the more antivirus programs you had on the computer the better it would be.

(I am sure that this is not so) :-)

No, you are correct, any more than two starts to Greatly Slow-down the computer.

Even with a very fast computer, there is a very noticeable slow-down with three, (which I have Tried).

But with two it is an Acceptable speed, with the needed Extra protection. :idea:

Note -With a Quad-core CPU (or greater) you will not even notice the difference in one and two.

Hi Toppack,

I am positive that you have heard the joke about two friends discussing about which one is sharper, a scissor or a knife? :razz::lol:

Cheers.

Nope, Sorry, I don't remember that one ? :?:

(I've Slept since then) :lol:

But I have a feeling that it has Nothing to do with what the discussion is about! :lol:

I'm guessing that you mean that 'What is Best for one person may not be good for the next person' ???

Or put another way 'What is Good for a Good computer may Not be good for a Bad computer' ???

Thank you martino!

As you have noticed the uninstall is problematic. I appreciate this post!:grin:

we recommend for problems with ASC with AV 2013 (ASCU):

ASC with AV 2013 uninstall

thereafter

BitDefender Uninstall Tool for the remainder

and

thereafter

ASC with AV 2013 NEW install

--> IObit Malware Fighter Team

--> IObit ASCU Team

--> IObit Europe LABS Team

--> IObit Europe Team

Sincerely,

-Mel

live long and prosper!

Hi Buddahfan

In my understanding "compatibility mode" entails that the antivirus part of ASCU doesn't run, - isn't that so?

This in my opinion doesn't test the antivirus part of the program?

Cheers

solbjerg

I am looking at my curent list of active processes and they include

ASCAvSvc.exe *32, ASC.exe *32 and AvastSvc.exe *32

ASC.exe *32 is the file that is active during a ASCU scan.

My understanding is that some features of ASCU are turned off when run in compatible mode in order to make it play nice with another real-time AV progragam; eg., avast! AIS. Which ones they are I don't know. When you click on "Real-time Protection" which ASCU indicates is "on" you are taken to the ASCU Settings menu "Protect" It says on my computers "Real-time protection 'on' You are using Compatible Mode" "Protect Level - High Level - Protect all files"

However, when I surf the Net, download a file or cut and paste a file I see no activity in ASCAvSvc or ASCSvc.exe but I do see activity in AvastSvc.exe

It would really be helpful to have this clarified by IObit. If "Real-Time Protection " is on like ASCU says it is, what exactly does that entail? Which ASCU files should we see activity in when we surf the Net, download a file, move a file etc?

Hi Buddahfan

I agree!

I too would like to know if it is only the AV part that isn't running or if it is also the ASC part that are not running - in which case it should not be shown as On.

BUT anyway the recommended setting is to have just ASCU taking care of the malware and virus protection, as far as I have understood.

IMF is "allowed" to run alongside to my knowledge. This makes it more probable that it is just the AV part that are closed down if another antivirus program is takng care of that?? (the run-time protection I mean)

Cheers

solbjerg

I am looking at my curent list of active processes and they include

ASCAvSvc.exe *32, ASC.exe *32 and AvastSvc.exe *32

ASC.exe *32 is the file that is active during a ASCU scan.

My understanding is that some features of ASCU are turned off when run in compatible mode in order to make it play nice with another real-time AV progragam; eg., avast! AIS. Which ones they are I don't know. When you click on "Real-time Protection" which ASCU indicates is "on" you are taken to the ASCU Settings menu "Protect" It says on my computers "Real-time protection 'on' You are using Compatible Mode" "Protect Level - High Level - Protect all files"

However, when I surf the Net, download a file or cut and paste a file I see no activity in ASCAvSvc or ASCSvc.exe but I do see activity in AvastSvc.exe

It would really be helpful to have this clarified by IObit. If "Real-Time Protection " is on like ASCU says it is, what exactly does that entail? Which ASCU files should we see activity in when we surf the Net, download a file, move a file etc?

It would also be nice to add the Files scanned and blocked count just like it is on IMF

I could have run ASCU Beta as my main AV and run avast! AIS in "compatible mode" avast! AIS allows for that. In fact the software tells you in advance of choosing that some modules won't work in the "Compatible Mode", though it does not specify which ones. This would be preferable but that discussion is really for the avast! Forum and not the IObit Forum

I chose to continue to use avast! AIS as my main AV program and not switch to ASCU because avast! AIS has worked for me as my primary AV program and so no need to fix/change what ain't broken.:smile:

In different laptops with different OSes (XP, W7 and W8) that I have installed ASC with Antivirus (some ASCU) in compatibility mode, Real-time protection locked as Off and couldn't be turned On.

All had different AVs and antimalwares already installed though.

When ASC with Antivirus installed prior to other security softwares, ASC AV real-time could be turned on untill it is turned off for once.

These are my observations and may not reflect hown ASC A/V is designed by IObit. :lol:

Cheers.

In different laptops with different OSes (XP, W7 and W8) that I have installed ASC with Antivirus (some ASCU) in compatibility mode, Real-time protection locked as Off and couldn't be turned On.

All had different AVs and antimalwares already installed though.

When ASC with Antivirus installed prior to other security softwares, ASC AV real-time could be turned on untill it is turned off for once.

These are my observations and may not reflect hown ASC A/V is designed by IObit. :lol:

Cheers.

Not my experience at all. Not even close

On new computers or computers with a newly formatted internal HDD I always install avast! AIS before I install any other program. There is no exception to this rule. So clearly I iinstalled ASCU after avast! AIS and still the Real-time protection says on.

Just now I turned off Real-time protection in ASCU and ASCU shook its finger at me and said "Fix" So I clicked on the Fix button and ASCU says Real-time protection is back on.

In any case I ain't going to worry about it. Everything runs fine together and my computers are clean of Malware to my knowledge and pretty much stay clean. Anti-Malware scans using over a half dozen anti-malware programs turn up about one piece of Malware every six months or so that managed to find its way onto one of my computers. I think I can live with that:smile:

The above numbers do not include adware cookies but they are auto cleaned daily.

Clearly this is a case of "Your experience may vary":lol:

Archived