IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Keyboard malfunction after running Smart Defrag v2.7 with Boot Time Defrag

BlackDocs

I ran Smart Defrag v2.7 with Boot Time Defrag. The program seemed to stall or freeze, when it finished and immediately upon closing the program the keyboard no longer worked correctly. After reboot and system restore the keyboard still types random keys not corresponding to the one's I typed. Any suggestions? So far this seems to be the only malfunction.

Thanks,

I restored to a much earlier version and I still have keyboard issues. I have a Samsung Netbook with 83 key keyboard and somehow the device was changed to a "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard" which I do not have. I'm not sure how to change it back to 83 key type of keyboard.

Hi BlackDocs

I suppose you have tried chkdsk? Or sfc /scannow ?

Does the keyboard work anyhow? Or are you using another PC to contact the forum?

Cheers

solbjerg

You can remove the device driver but it still recognizes it as the wrong keyboard when it searches and updates. I've searched for a way to change the type of keyboard but I only see ways to change language.

Welcome

Welcome to the forum :smile:

Thanks,

I restored to a much earlier version and I still have keyboard issues. I have a Samsung Netbook with 83 key keyboard and somehow the device was changed to a "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard" which I do not have. I'm not sure how to change it back to 83 key type of keyboard.

A "Samsung Netbook with 83 key keyboard" would be the model NC10 is that correct ?

I have a Acer Netbook with 84 keys but hopefully this might help:

• Control Panel

• Regional and Language Options

• Select Languages tab

• In the Text services and input languages section click on Details

• Select Settings tab

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11437&stc=1&d=1363359828

• Click on the dropdown arrow under Default input language and select the correct language. I would do this even if the language is already correct as it might 'reset' the selection.

• In the Installed services section click on Add

• Click on the dropdown arrow under Keyboard layout/IME:

• Scroll through the list and look for a keyboard that would be your 83 key, select it and click OK

Note: I don't know if the Acer and Samsung use the same one but FYI my keyboard is 84 keys and when I click on Add the Keyboard layout/IME: is called United States-Dvorak

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11438&stc=1&d=1363359828

But my keyboard doesn't look or work like a Dvorak keyboard, it is a 'normal' Netbook keyboard with Fn keys.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11440&stc=1&d=1363360359

• Select and Remove any keyboards that are listed under Installed services but you will never use

• Click Apply

• Click OK

All the best, woz of oz

My compliments for a well informed answer!!! Cheers solbjerg

Hi BlackDocs

I suppose you have tried chkdsk? Or sfc /scannow ?

Does the keyboard work anyhow? Or are you using another PC to contact the forum?

Cheers

solbjerg

solbjerg,

I was using another computer but now I have on-screen keyboard.

I tried chkdsk and sfc /scannow but they were normal.

Thanks for the help anyway.

wozofoz,

I have tried switching my keyboard to Dvorak. It changed the letters around but still most keys produce numbers like this: aqr15579--]\a\179'\vn,'

Thats what it looks from left to right across my keyboard.

It says Im using ''Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard".

What is listed for your Acer keyboard? That or 84 key?

I have a Samsung N120 netbook.

Number Lock

...It says Im using ''Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard".

What is listed for your Acer keyboard? That or 84 key?

I have a Samsung N120 netbook.

• Control Panel

• Keyboard

• Hardware tab

Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

wozofoz,

I have tried switching my keyboard to Dvorak. It changed the letters around but still most keys produce numbers like this: aqr15579--]\a\179'\vn,'

Thats what it looks from left to right across my keyboard....

Aha, have a look at your keyboard and I would bet the numbers that are being typed are also written in Blue on the key (usually blue but they might be Green on your keyboard

If that is the case then press the Fn key plus the Number Lock key at the same time to turn off number lock

Number lock key should be on the top row and be either NumLk or a blue image of a lock with number inside

If that fixes the number problem but the keyboard is still giving wrong letters you will have to go back and change the keyboard from Dvorak to your preferred setup (United States International or whatever)

All the best, woz of oz

Hi BlackDocs

What keys are missing on a 83 key keyboard? Arrow-keys and numberpad?

Why would somebody choose that sort of keyboard?

Does it then have a FN key for selecting the numberpad, - like on the laptops?

Cheers

solbjerg

woz of oz,

If your keyboard also says "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard" then mine is probably correct too.

It wasnt number lock either.

I'm going to order a new keyboard and hope that solves it.

Thanks

The Samsung N120 is a 10.1 inch screen Netbook and is similar to my 9 inch screen Acer Netbook.

The number pad and Home and End keys plus others are accessed through the Fn key

Here is an image of the Samsung N120 Netbook keyboard

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11443&stc=1&d=1363440300

All the best, woz of oz

Ok scrd

My inattention, sorry.

Thanks to woz for providing the images!!!

Very strange though that a keyboard setup should be able to be altered by running a defrag, - if this is the case it is a point of immense interest to the developers of SmartDefrag, and should be brought to their attention.

Cheers

solbjerg

Woz showed the standard MS screen in his first post >

does samsung have its own version for these settings, if so have these been changed.(there are so many duplicate settings/options nowadays)

Roy

Woz showed the standard MS screen in his first post >

does samsung have its own version for these settings, if so have these been changed.(there are so many duplicate settings/options nowadays)

scrd01,

No, it looks the same on my Samsung.

solbjerg,

Its beyond me. Microsoft also made some updates this week but a system restore should have corrected that. I ordered a replacement keyboard in case something shorted it out. I will update in about a week when I replace it. All I know is I noticed the keyboard malfunct after my first run of Smart Defrag with all boot time options selected and it froze becoming unresponsive. I unplugged the laptop to stop the program because it has that failsafe and noticed the keyboard malfunction.

Thanks for everyone's help

Docs

Hi BlackDocs

Am I understanding correctly that you are saying that you unplugged the laptop while running a defrag????

That is one of the things one should not do in my opinion!

Cheers

solbjerg

solbjerg,

Its beyond me. Microsoft also made some updates this week but a system restore should have corrected that. I ordered a replacement keyboard in case something shorted it out. I will update in about a week when I replace it. All I know is I noticed the keyboard malfunct after my first run of Smart Defrag with all boot time options selected and it froze becoming unresponsive. I unplugged the laptop to stop the program because it has that failsafe and noticed the keyboard malfunction.

Thanks for everyone's help

Docs

Unfortunately yes. In hindsight I should have just let it be, but nothing was responding. It did however stop running when I pulled the plug on it. So what sort of damage could have been done to make the keyboard do this: qrt15u5i7o9-[-]\ad179'zvn,/' instead of qwerty? I'm still using on-screen keyboard now.

Hi BlackDocs

Imagine fragments being moved around and brought together at incredible speeds and that the power that is necessary for these processes is suddenly cut. The fragments en route will drop at precisely that location and never reach the supposed location. If one is very unlucky it might mean that an essential piece of fragment will become unavailable.

It may also mean that the drop of the fragment will have created a bad block at the point of impact.

If it is a power cut from fx. a lightening strike it is out of your control and this could make the same havoc.

The default setting is not to use battery while defragging and this setup is chosen precisely to avoid that a defragmentation is stopped suddenly from lack of power in the battery.

Therefore is is strongly recommended not to pull the plug suddenly or in the midst of an operation in your PC.

Sorry for your plight.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. The chkdsk employed should be chkdsk /r that is a full chkdsk that also finds possible bad blocks and attempts to repair them.

p.p.s. I will commend you for your integrity and honesty in owning up to your own bad decisions, that is a prerequisite to try to find the right course of action. Thank you!

Unfortunately yes. In hindsight I should have just let it be, but nothing was responding. It did however stop running when I pulled the plug on it. So what sort of damage could have been done to make the keyboard do this: qrt15u5i7o9-[-]\ad179'zvn,/' instead of qwerty? I'm still using on-screen keyboard now.

youve lost one

Hi BlackDocs,

yep its only showing the standard keyboard, not your to touchscreen.

I reckon youve lost the device driver, it should be on your (D) drive

have a read of your samsung help docs, samsung setup.

Roy

solbjerg,

I ran chkdsk /r and oddly enough the keys seem to be producing different character combinations than before now. You may be on to something.

scrd01,

I checked D drive for system files and found nothing. Looked for hidden files and folders too but nothing. When I try to update the driver it says I already have the most updated driver. I could force a new driver onto it if I could download one somewhere. I checked a few places but didn't find a keyboard driver for this online.

I seached the registry ''redegit'' for ''kbdclass'' and found this below. They could be corrupted.

Archived