IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

unable to safely remove a flash drive

ektorbarajas

Hi.

I'm using SD 2.8.0.1210 and have connected two USB flash drives. By default SD don't select automatc defrag (which is ok). But I've noticed that If I want to safely remove any USB flash drive, SD is locking them and won't release them.

Even if SD is doing nothing to the USB flash drives.

I verified this by using the program Zentimo, which reports the process or program that is locking the USB flash drive.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1551/nuox.jpg

The only option is to completely close SD.

Would be great to fix this and allow SD detect when the user wants to remove a USB flash drive in the safe way.

Regards

• 2 months later...

I have installed SmartDefrag 2.9.0.1225 and this reported issue is still present.

I've connected an EHDD, SD detected first it as a SSD, so I indicated it was a HDD and performed a manual Analyze, SD suggested no further action since the fragmentation was very low (4 fragments), and then I wanted to safely remove the EHDD and again this issue :?

If I just plug the EHDD and do nothing with SD, then the EHDD could be safely removed.

Seems that still SD is not letting EHDD "touched" by it to safely remove.

Please fix this issue

Thanks

Hi ektorbarajas ,

To solve the issue" unable to safely remove a flash drive", please take the steps below:

1) Please download the demo from http://wikisend.com/download/255078/SmartDefrag.exe

2) Please close and "exit" your Smart Defrag. Right click on the Smart Defrag icon on your desktop and choose the "Open file location" to open the Smart Defrag installation directory. Then put the SmartDefrag.exe that you downloaded in step one to replace the original SmartDefrag.exe.

3) After step 2, please text again to see whether you can remove EHDD successfully. If you can not, please send us the result.txt in the installation directory of Smart defrag to help us look into the issue.

4) Please also tell us your EHDD belongs to G or I or someone else?

Let us know the results.

Looking forward to your reply.

Hi Cicely, here the results:

I replaced Smartdefrag.exe with the one from the link and still unable to remove the EHDD. Now I have not even analyzed the EHDD.

Attaches is the result.txt file

my EHDD belongs to letter I

Hope it helps to solve this issue

Let me know if I can be of further assistance

ektorbarajas

As I said in my previous post, I have used Unlocker to resolve this issue.

Unlocker will show the resource(s) which is preventing the drive from releasing, in your case SD. It will ask you to kill the process.

I have noted that I only had to do this two or three times and from then on the drive now releases without issue every time.

Hi enoskype.

You mentioned Iobit Unlocker, in a previous post.

But indeed unlocker is able to kill the process (Smartdefrag.exe) and unlocks the drive, but that's a nasty workaround.

I rather prefer close smartdefrag manually, safely remove my EHDD and then restart smartdefrag.

Let's hope IObit find a solution for this annoying issue

Regards

Yes ektor!

I just wanted to point out that there are more than one Unlocker under discussion.

I agree that IObit should look after that, because safely removing is not behaving same with everybody.

I have encountered both in differently configured and different brand of PCs and laptops.

Cheers.

Enoskype

Yes you are correct. My unlocker is not Iobit. In fact I just discovered that my unlocker is no longer available.

I have found, that it is actually the drive that creates the problem which ektorbarajas is experiencing. As far as I can determine it is the way the drives internal request interacts with the pc os, and not a particular program such as SD in this case. Otherwise a lot more users would be experiencing the problem.

Anyway, maybe Iobit will be able to resolve the issue relating to SD.

Hi Cicely.

Did the test and now the EHDD could be safely removed, I tested several times, and even analyzed the EHDD with SmartDefrag and I was able to safely remove it :-D

Still SD shows the EHDD after being removed (letter I), I assume that for the next SD version this minor issue of the drive still appearing will also be solved.

In a different topic, I noticed the issue that one time that I restarted smartdefrag.exe it didn't recognized the C drive (Attached is screenshot), then I restated once more Smartdefrag.exe and the C drive re-appeared (attached is also a screenshot). Don't know what happened.

Also attached is the result.txt file

Unfortunately seems that result.txt didn't logged he issue of the C drive missing, due to smartdefrag.exe being restarted.

But the issue of external HDD being locked by SD and not allowing a safely remove seems solved.

Hi ektorbarajas,

Happy to hear the good news about removing EHDD.

I will report the issue that C drive was not recognized successfully.

Thanks for your effort to help us improve our products.

Your support will be our greatest stimulus to worker harder to improve our products and service.

Thanks for choosing IObit to care your PC. Cheers. :-D

• 2 months later...

Archived