IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows 8 Fast Startup feature & SD Boot defrag

ektorbarajas

After installing and trying SD on Windows 8 the following questions came up:

1) Why SD Boot defrag disables Fast Startup?

2) In tests done by iobit and other users, what is better for a Windows 8? to maintain Fast Startup? or to disable it and enable SD Boot defrag?

3) Why is not possible to have both features enabled? to my understanding this will give the best performance, since Fast Startup will help reduce boot time by creating a partial hibernate file of the kernel and the driveds and boot defrag will/should also optimize that "partial hibernate" AND also optimize other boot files (like pagefile and hibernation)?

Would be great to further improve SD to work jointly with Windows 8 Fast Startup

Thanks

ektorbarajas

Boot defrag has to halt the boot procedurein order to allow it to defrag the system components which cannot be accessed during a normal defrag, such as MFT etc....

Maybe Iobit can look at pausing fast start up rather than disabling it. However I would imagine that would require a lot of additional programming for extremely little gain.

As to.... what is better for a Windows 8? to maintain Fast Startup? or to disable it and enable SD Boot defrag

I think that is entirely a users choice, as every pc and every user is different and every user has different needs and preferences. Personally, I strongly recommend against a Boot Defrag everytime you boot, as there is practicall no gain to be had by doing so. A Boot defrag once in a while is more than enough.

Hi Scannan, thanks for the reply.

I normaly use SD with the default options, and that includes running the boot defrag every 7 days.

I'd like to know if by running SD Boot defrag every 7 or more days disables windows fast startup always or just when a SD boot defrag is performed

And would be great to have more detailed info about this from iobit, for example, like if running SD boot defrag will "*****" fast startup.

Regards

Hector

ektorbarajas

Hopefully Iobit will be able to give the info as requested.

Can you not tell if Fast Startup is disabled only on the day of the Boot defrag.

If it is being permanently disabled, then it is definitely something that needs to be corrected by Iobit.

Hi ektorbarajas and Scannan,

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry for any inconvenience.

I have reported the issue to our related programmers.They said your fast startup will be disabled once your turn on Boot Time Defrag. But when you turn it off, everything will be fine. Hope they can find out a way to solve the issue asap.

Sorry for the inconvenience again.

Archived