IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

iTOP products auto installs even when declined

marmackco

1 hour ago, Scannan said:

I understand. It can be daunting.

If you type Controlled folder Access into your search bar (in your system tray) you will be able to open the controlled folder access application.

There you can block a file from accessing your system. So while iTop is installed, you could locate the .exe file and block it in Controlled Folder Access.

I sincerely hope Iobit will do something soon to correct this awful situation.

But I need to block the installation and I don't know the name of the installer app.

You cannot block the installation app because it is embedded in the Iobit Installer.

But once it has installed itself you should be able to see it in your apps & Features.

Also you may be able to see it in your windows File Explorer, in c:\ Programs...or Programs x86, which will give you the path to use in

Controlled folder Access.

45 minutes ago, Scannan said:

You cannot block the installation app because it is embedded in the Iobit Installer.

But once it has installed itself you should be able to see it in your apps & Features.

Also you may be able to see it in your windows File Explorer, in c:\ Programs...or Programs x86, which will give you the path to use in

Controlled folder Access.

IOBIT are in breach of the UK Computer Misuse Act (Unauthorised Modification) so I will report them to the Information Commissioner.

They are an American company, so I cannot see there is much the UK Commissioner can do.

As this issue is seemingly causing you great stress, I can give you a link to download the previous version which should solve

your issue, as the issue has only surfaced in the latest version(s).

59 minutes ago, Scannan said:

They are an American company, so I cannot see there is much the UK Commissioner can do.

As this issue is seemingly causing you great stress, I can give you a link to download the previous version which should solve

your issue, as the issue has only surfaced in the latest version(s).

Thanks for the offer, but I will simply move away from IOBit products, as others are doing.  With regard to the domicile of the offender, it does not prevent the British ICO from taking action as there is a reciprocal agreement with the USA and the target machine (mine) is in the UK.

Sorry to hear that. I say this, because the products are excellent, and this recent form of marketing is very unfortunate.

I do not have any connection to Iobit whatsoever, as I am a volunteer here in the Forum, trying to help other users.

I have not updated any Iobit products recently, as I have a rule that I do not update anything until a sufficient amount

of time has elapsed, in which the update has been proved to be safe and without issues. So, I have not had to deal with this

issue.

I wish you well in your endeavours.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:42 AM, Cicely said:

Hi marmackco and Inazuma,

Actually, it is an recommendation. Users can refuse it if you are not interested in it. Sorry if you did not cancel it and install it actidently. 

I will report your feedback to our prouct team. We will keep on improving to let users who really need this program can have a changce to know it. At the same time, do not disturb those who are not interested in.

Thanks for your understanding. 

What a disgusting lie!

Yesterday an install.exe without my consent was started, while I was in an online competitive video game.

I just noticed it, because my CPU was going higher than usual and I was dropping frames in game, actively hurting my performance and making me lag.

After my gaming session, I had suddenly iTop Screenshot, iTop Recorder and iTop VPN installed, placed on the desktop, taskbar and started on their own!

My Uninstaller Pro License had been literally just extended...  And I'm so f^*king angry and sad... because I really liked your software...

But unless you can promise that you'll stop these treacherous practices... I'll demand a refund for all my iobit licences!

And I just triple checked all the settings in iobit uninstaller, there is certianly not a checkbox to be found, regarding the installation of this itop scareware~

Also the iTop scareware screaming "Your IP is exposed" while literally showing the IP of my VPN connection that is already running, is as sad as it's funny...

The Itop software bundle installed on my computer for simply downloading the updated version of Iobit uninstaller. I never even installed the update. This is extremely poor business practice. If something like this happens again next time I download an Iobit product I will then discontinue using your products. Stop this shady practice before you truly hurt your business.

I had this happen as well, and immediately uninstalled the itop software. VPNs can implicitly spy on network traffic, while screen recorders can spy on screen contents and keystrokes. These are not things to be installed lightly.

Revisiting the update, I see there was an itop checkbox -- in the lower left corner with low contrast and effectively grayed out. This is sneaky, probably violates laws in some jurisdictions, and certainly could not be seen by anyone with impaired vision. Furthermore, the IOBit Uninstaller / Updater used its privileged status to bypass UAC while installing these.

I regard this as a violation of trust and security to a degree that I can no longer use IOBit products. I simply can't trust what someone that unscrupulous might be doing without my knowledge or consent. It takes a lot to land on my permanent blacklist, bit this will do it. Unfortunate, as I have found their products useful over the years.

Hi redsphinx and Luke H

At present, we are partnered with iTop VPN to help promote its product iTop VPN, which can provide private access to the Internet with military-grade protection.
As Luke H said, you can  uncheck the checkbox if you are not interested in it. 
I have forwarded your concerns to our product team and market team. They will consider this kind of marketing activities and make a better balance in future.

Have a good time!

On 9/10/2021 at 9:29 AM, Cicely said:

Hi jrhslick and bassc

Sincerley sorry to hear that.

As I mentioned before you can untick the checkbox for iToP  VPN if you do not want it during your installtion of IObit programs. But you may need ot check it with more attention.

I will report your feedbacks to our product team.

We will try a make a better balance in the future.😀

Cicely, our problem is not just that IObit have these programmes available, it is that they are PRE-TICKED in the setup process meaning that, those of us who are less observant (i.e. most of the people who have posted about this issue) are simply bombarded with UNWANTED programmes. I'm all for offering additional features/programmes but vendors(IObit) should do just that...OFFER THEM, don't simply assume that we want them just because your want us to have them for "free" or fee, however small. While I agree that these programmes are not in themselves malware, the manner in which they are forced on unsuspecting customers is akin to the installation of malware in that it was unrequested, undesired and the installation unknown to the user. Finally, in the ANNOYING popup that cannot be closed...

1. Insert some way to get rid of the popup so that we don't have to restart our pc to do this

2. Along with the "resolve now" button, what about a "remove now" option for those of us who don't want the programme? We may have other ways of protecting our IP address without resorting to VPNs

3. if IObit don't act on this quickly you will lose many customers who will share that your company/products promote, install and force on its customers MALWARE

@chestnut,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will report your suggestion to our product team for consideration. They will consider this kind of marketing activities and make a better balance in future.

@ Atyth

iTop VPN can provide private access to the Internet with military-grade protection. It is a legal program. For the iTop VPN program issues, please get help from https://www.itopvpn.com/support

By the way, please do not post repeatedly in our forum.

On 8/13/2021 at 11:42 AM, Cicely said:

Hi marmackco and Inazuma,

Actually, it is an recommendation. Users can refuse it if you are not interested in it. Sorry if you did not cancel it and install it actidently. 

I will report your feedback to our prouct team. We will keep on improving to let users who really need this program can have a changce to know it. At the same time, do not disturb those who are not interested in.

Thanks for your understanding. 

I hate that too... It sucks to have your time, internet and hdd space wasted on involuntary downloaded programs....

Thank you all for posting about the sneaky install of their partner product. I was shopping for uninstall software and will look elsewhere now. Cicely, your comments are appreciated but do not inspire confidence that IObit cares about violating their customers trust.

When prompted to update to the newest version of the IOBit Uninstaller, I downloaded and ran the official exe. I was presented with NO installation prompt; the itop products were installed on my computer WITHOUT any option to uninstall. Any claims by moderators and admins here that everyone in this thread CHOSE to install these products is a lie. I will never be using an IOBit product again and will be strongly recommending against it for anyone I know.

When voicing your opinions and criticisms, in order to be taken seriously....

It is important to adhere to the facts...and the facts are that....

No moderators and admins here, have ever claimed..."that everyone in this thread CHOSE to install these products"

So Iobit is the one installing this without consent?
Good thing I didn't start paying for this. Perhaps getting "charged extra" also was an option i have to "uncheck" in order not to get double billed? 

Hiding away people options to say no is in my eyes a violation. My body, my choice. My computer, also my choice.

Thanks, but no thanks.

@sdean7855, @sdean7855, @marcusnielsenAs I mentioned in many my other post as follows:

At present, we are partnered with iTop VPN to help promote its product iTop VPN or iTop Screenshot.

If you do not want these programs, please just do not forget to uncheck the checkbox during your installtion and then you will not installed the unwanted one.Sorry these marketing stragies bring you unconvenience, we have forwarded your concern to our product team and market team.

They will consider this kind of marketing activities and make a better balance in future.

@all, if you still have the similar issues, hope you can read the post first.

Hope my explanation is able to assist you. Please feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.

On 10/12/2021 at 7:20 PM, marcusnielsen said:

iTop VPN, Screenrecorder and Screenshot installed itself. The only thing I did was click in iobit uninstaller to download the latest version. I didn't even start the installation process. I still haven't installed uninstaller 11. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING???

I have the paid version of ASCU and IMWF. A notification appears in my desktop asking to install iTOPVPN and there is no option to close/remove it.