IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Avast V5 Beta

detailer

detailer- I've installed Avast 4.8.1351 on 2 horribly infected computers over the last 2 weeks and its amazing boot time scan really roots out all of the malware! In my opinion Avast is very easy for anyone to run and its comforting to watch the Avast icon in the system tray spin each time its real time heuristic scanning goes to work. I'm hoping that when the Avast 5 Final is released that the upgrades can be handled through their automatic update like other security software companies do.

~Maxx~

Avast 5 should be good

I used Avast in the past and still recommend it to those who want an easy to set up and use AV :-)

The one thing that annoyed me though was that if it found a virus it would scream and go on (probably called the police) and then refuse to continue the scan until I acknowledged how clever it was.

My usual procedure, with all AV etc, is to start a full scan then go have lunch or whatever. Coming back to find only 5 minutes of a 1 hour scan completed was frustrating.

I hope they have changed this 'feature' :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

wozofoz- Nothing has changes as far as Avast stopping the scan and asking the operator what to do. I know this because because it happened to me when I installed Avast and did a boot time scan with it just 2 weeks ago and I was forced to sit there and babysit the scan through the detection of 100 Viruses, Worms and Trojans. I had thought for a moment that I maybe should have installed Comodo CIS instead, but the difficulty level of running Comodo is just too high considering the owner of the computer had gone for over 2 years totally unaware that the computer had no Antivirus protection whatsoever.

~Maxx~

detailer- I've installed Avast 4.8.1351 on 2 horribly infected computers over the last 2 weeks and its amazing boot time scan really roots out all of the malware! In my opinion Avast is very easy for anyone to run and its comforting to watch the Avast icon in the system tray spin each time its real time heuristic scanning goes to work. I'm hoping that when the Avast 5 Final is released that the upgrades can be handled through their automatic update like other security software companies do.

~Maxx~

you are right ! 100% i can post this because i agree, and you agree

its amazing to say the least ,boot time scan really" Roots" out all of the malware! and much more! its amazing to say the least -melts and rejoins files well--

excellent, program .and keeping it --one of the best to date i have tried--

if one want to restore a system to 100% from a image file this is it!

thank you for the link -i have downloaded this and installed it -its really works!

itsmejjj

you are right ! 100% i can post this because i agree, and you agree

its amazing to say the least ,boot time scan really" Roots" out all of the malware! and much more! its amazing to say the least -melts and rejoins files well--

excellent, program .and keeping it --one of the best to date i have tried--

if one want to restore a system to 100% from a image file this is it!

thank you for the link -i have downloaded this and installed it -its really works!

itsmejjj

I just got done installing Avast on a computer earlier today and the owner who had been using McAfee (un)Security which had resulted in over 50 viruses infecting his computer was very impressed both with the boot time scan and Avast's real time Heuristic scanning not to mention that Avast Home Edition is absolutely free! The bonus is that Avast 5 promises to be even better!

~Maxx~

I just got done installing Avast on a computer earlier today and the owner who had been using McAfee (un)Security which had resulted in over 50 viruses infecting his computer was very impressed both with the boot time scan and Avast's real time Heuristic scanning not to mention that Avast Home Edition is absolutely free! The bonus is that Avast 5 promises to be even better!

~Maxx~

That's why Avast is the best Anti virus freeware. :mrgreen:

Do Avast alerts before license expires or if the Free license is expiring soon? Example ''your avast license will expire in 5 days''?

~Maxx~

using McAfee (un)Security

that bad uh

-well there you are, never can tell-gee i always got told McAfee .thy were very good--still you just proved them wrong! and a good warning to others that use there program.

perhaps someone should report this to McAfee ? make them improve there product-what you think?

itsmejjj-

Hi guys,

I have been using McAfee for more than 9 years or so (since the Win95) and I did not have a single virus!

Now what do I have to do? :-P

Cheers.:wink:

Enis- You don't have to do a thing because you are a proven expert level user, but the last computer which I worked on which was running McAfee at the time and was being run by a much less skilled operator than yourself using only windows firewall and scanned for 50 Viruses.

Since you have been using McAfee for so long do you know if it is possible for the program to be running and doing updates which in this case it was, but at the same time have its protection levels suspended?

~Maxx~

Hi maxx

We do not know the level of updating nor the frequency of running scans in your friends computer.

Most problems in this context arise from not updating the virus definition files and from not running virus.scannings.

Enoskype of course was updated on both accounts :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Enis- You don't have to do a thing because you are a proven expert level user, but the last computer which I worked on which was running McAfee at the time and was being run by a much less skilled operator than yourself using only windows firewall and scanned for 50 Viruses.

Since you have been using McAfee for so long do you know if it is possible for the program to be running and doing updates which in this case it was, but at the same time have its protection levels suspended?

~Maxx~

using McAfee (un)Security

that bad uh

-well there you are, never can tell-gee i always got told McAfee .thy were very good--still you just proved them wrong! and a good warning to others that use there program.

perhaps someone should report this to McAfee ? make them improve there product-what you think?

itsmejjj-

jjj- Even though this situation did happen how can one isolated incident on its own prove anything? If any one of us scanned a computer and came up with 50 Viruses regardless of whatever computer security system was on the computer at the time would become suspect...right? I merely related the facts of an experience that happened to me earlier in the day and I would have reported the rather shocking results no matter what security system was being used on the computer. I think that we all know better than to judge a computer security system on one single set of results alone.

~Maxx~

~Maxx~

Yes Maxxwire, from Security Center.

Seperate controls for Virus, Spyware, SystemGuard, Script Scanning, E-mail , Instant Messaging, Firewall, Phishing, Parental.

You have the options for Virus protection as:

-Unknown

-tracking cookies

-Networkdrives

-buffer overflow

For the following time options for suspension:

-15 Min

-30 Min.

-45 Min

-60 Min.

-At the start of Windows

-Never.

Cheers.

Hi enoskype

I think you problem may be that you think too much!!! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

I think my problem is to use some of the most hated programs together in harmony.

Namely : McAfee, ZAPro, Ad-Aware.

Well, I have to admit I am using some other programs though.:razz:

FYI, McAfee is a paid AV, and updates automatically.

Cheers.

Hi maxx

We do not know the level of updating nor the frequency of running scans in your friends computer.

Most problems in this context arise from not updating the virus definition files and from not running virus.scannings.

Enoskype of course was updated on both accounts :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

solbjerg- Very good points. I use my friend's computer almost every week and it had been running slow for some time. As I understand McAffee updates once a day and every time I would turn on the computer McAfee would request to do an update, but I scanned the computer with Clam Win from my USB Drive and when it would find a Virus a McAfee graphic would appear and announce that the Virus had been removed. This senario repeated itself 50 times and when the scan was done Clam Win only reported removing 1 infection.

My question is why McAfee which is demonstratably capable of removing all 50 Viruses didn't remove them earlier, but rather had to be prompted by a 3rd party portable app scanner?

~Maxx~

Yes Maxxwire, from Security Center.

Seperate controls for Virus, Spyware, SystemGuard, Script Scanning, E-mail , Instant Messaging, Firewall, Phishing, Parental.

You have the options for Virus protection as:

-Unknown

-tracking cookies

-Networkdrives

-buffer overflow

For the following time options for suspension:

-15 Min

-30 Min.

-45 Min

-60 Min.

-At the start of Windows

-Never.

Cheers.

Enis- This is very valuable information. It could have been that McAfee simply wasn't set up correctly. Like I said the acumen of the user for these kinds of setup details is rather low.

"I think my problem is to use some of the most hated programs together in harmony.

Namely : McAfee, ZAPro, Ad-Aware."

I had to chuckle when you said that! The world of computer security is very competitive these days and you can easily find very highly effective programs that are put down for very trivial non-security related issues. I have also noted that some security programs are quarantined by others if they are run together. Such is my current situation with Ad-Aware. I have run the program with great success in the past, but my current HIPS program won't allow it which makes it a sad trade-off for me because I always liked running Ad-Aware.

~Maxx~

My question is why McAfee which is demonstratably capable of removing all 50 Viruses didn't remove them earlier, but rather had to be prompted by a 3rd party portable app scanner?

~Maxx~

Maxx, they could have been kept in the quarantine.

Cheers.

Hi Maxxwire,

I agree with you.

I really meant those 3, as I had very hard times with them from time to time, not on securitywise but behavior, user friendliness, and acceptance of each other.

They are tamed at the moment though.:-D

I just wanted to put a joy in a thread with a serious subject as VIRUS.:twisted:

Cheers.

Hi Maxxwire

I just wanted to put a joy in a thread with a serious subject as VIRUS.:twisted:

Cheers.

You are so very right about the subject of Viruses being a serious one. You can imagine the look on my friend's face as all those Viruses were being removed from what he thought was a clean computer. I must give McAfee credit for removing them though and as you pointed out it may have very well been poor settings that caused McAfee to miss them in the first place.

So just to take it full circle Avast is now installed on the computer and I made sure that it has the correct settings, the Heuristic Scanning is set on high and frequent scans will be done to make sure that this doesn't happen again. Hopefully the coming upgrade to Avast 5 will be a smooth one.

~Maxx~

I have used and trusted the Avast Free version for a year or two now, the only minor hassle I find is having to register it every year, no big deal, though. Just set it and forget it as it automatically updates itself every day.

As far as I know it is the only AV app that will perform a boot-scan.

One More

Ted-Avira AntiVir can do that as well.It's launched manually,found under "Extras" on the GUI toolbar.And my two cents on AV's-they're only as good as your internet proclivities are bad.That is to say,"Show me your virus vault,and I'll show you mine" :razz:

Archived