IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Anti virus & registry cleaner am I right?

emttaff

vman- I always like to keep an eye on unconventional users like you who are out there challenging the boundaries of how computer security is handled and I have already gained a great many benefits from your theories and applications in the field of computer security so whatever you can lay out there I would be very interested in checking out.

~Maxx~

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically this is how it works.

You leave it in training mode for quite some time, and, MD (malware defender) gets use to all the programs, you begin to Isolate it, and limit its rights.

After that, NO other application can execute. Whats in, stays. Nothing gets in or out. Without execution, you can never get infected.

Hi Max, think this is the data you require:-

Physical Memory (MB)

Total 892

cashed 502

Free 5

Kernal Memory (MB)

Total 106

paged 74

nonpaged 32

system

handles 21192

threads 840

processes 72

uptime 1:18:56

page file 1130M / 2195

processes 72

CPUusage 11% (at the time)

Physical Memory: 57%

hope this is what your after.

regards

emttaff

British by birth (WELSH BY THE GRACE OF GOD)

emttaff- Yes it is and thank you for going to the trouble of compiling it so accurately. The first thing I see is that you are currently using 508 MB of 892 MB of RAM available. Since you are using Vista and the bare minimum recommended amount of RAM is 1 GB we should try to free up some RAM before we delve into those 72 processes that are now running although it is hard to resist, but it is best to do these things in order.

First off you need to realize that nothing is free in freeing up system resources and that there is always trade-offs to be carefully considered which decisions are purely yours and yours alone after all this is your computer so please don't let me or anyone else talk you into making changes that you don't want to make or give up features that you want to keep.

The biggest targets at this point are Vista features that use both large amounts of Memory and CPU the entire time that the computer is running. First on the list is the Vista Sidebar. If you can bear to part with this feature it aill significantly improve the speed of your computer. Disabling Sidebar is easily reversible if you should change your mind. To disable it right click over the Sidebar and choose properties...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/sidebar-disable.png

Next uncheck 'Start Sidebar when windows starts' then click apply and OK and Vista Sidebar will not start the next time you start your computer.

Disabling the Vista Sidebar along with Vista Aero Graphics yielded a measurable 40% increase in speed on my Vista computer as well as a reduction of the use of 100 MB of RAM. This is just an example of my computer reaction. I put off disabling Aero Graphics for several months because it is permanent until you reinstall Vista again.

If you are willing to live with downscaled Vista Graphics and benefit from better performance and more efficiency then you can just right-click on the desktop and choose Personalize. Click the 'Window Color and Appearance'. Now you can disable Vista Aero by choosing Windows Vista Basic, click on Apply and OK...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/DisableAero.png

Just as a reminder disabling Vista Aero is permanent and can only be recovered by reinstalling Vista.

Please let me know how things go and what you have decided to do and what you decided against if any! If you have any questions please feel free to ask no matter how small they might be. As I said there are many areas of concern within the information that you provided and we will deal with them all as quickly as we can get to them, but it is much better to go slow and make no mistakes than it is to hurry and end up having to take even longer. Its now 3:15 am here on the Left Coast of America so hopefully I'll hear from you tomorrow...or later on today I guess it would be.

~Maxx~

Hi Max, with regard to latest instructions, I had already disabled vista sidebar. with regard to Aero am currently not prepared to remove this as i don't have a copy of vista to reinstall should I want to reinstall it. so whats next please.

emttaff

British by birth (Welsh by the grace of god)

Hi Max, with regard to latest instructions, I had already disabled vista sidebar.

Good man! Sidebar is a real succubus when it comes to consuming system resources. Although your original copy of Vista is in your computer's System Restore you are very fortunate not to know that already! We'll just leave Vista Aero alone as you now know how to disable it if you should ever want to.

Next we should look at what programs you have starting with Vista. Many times programs that you have installed or even pre-installed Windows programs will automatically put themselves on the Startup and as a result they will run all day and consume system resources even though they are not being used. There are a number of ways to gain access to the Startup Programs, but in my opinion the very easiest and simplest way is using its Startup Utility in [urlAC=http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/]CCleaner[/url]. If you do not have this program I strongly recommend it also for its ability to clean >GB of unused Temp files from your computer. If you already have CCleaner you you go into Tools> Startup and find the list of Auto Start programs and you could post the list of programs here and we could take a look at what programs run automatically on your computer and which ones might be eligible for removal from the list.

~Maxx~

this is just a practice to see if I can concor the screen shots please bare with me peeps.

yes i managed to do it. the picture i chose is not the same in the zip file due to work PC blocking everything. but im pleased with the result as i uploaded the warning. thankyou everyone. Max will have a screen shot of the Startup when I get home dude. Would appreciate an administrator removing the file just incase work dont like it. :-)

Regards

emttaff

test.zip

Remove Attachment

If you want to remove your Attachment (ZIP or Image etc):

• Click Edit at the bottom of your post

• Click Go Advanced

• Scroll down and click Manage Attachments

• Under the heading Current attachments you will see your Attachment

• Click Remove (on the right)

• When removed click Close this window

• Click Save Changes

:smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Thank you wozofoz!!!!!!

Copied it and pasted it in the relevant thread and post.

AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR GREAT SUPPORT!!

and you nice and wise words about Usage of IObit Products!!

Cheers

solbjerg

If you want to remove your Attachment (ZIP or Image etc):

• Click Edit at the bottom of your post

• Click Go Advanced

• Scroll down and click Manage Attachments

• Under the heading Current attachments you will see your Attachment

• Click Remove (on the right)

• When removed click Close this window

• Click Save Changes

:smile:

All the best, woz of oz

this is just a practice to see if I can concor the screen shots please bare with me peeps. Max will have a screen shot of the Startup when I get home dude.

That will be great! In the beginning some of the start programs are easier to figure out than others, but I've always been able to get a clear definition of them online.

~Maxx~

ASC Startup Manager

I've always liked the Startup Manager in ASC it's easy to use and it gives you quick access to SysInfo.org :smile:

• Advanced System Care

• Select Utilities

• Select Admin Tools

• Select StartUp Manager

• Select (but not Tick or UnTick, just hi-light) the File you want to check

• Select OnLine Search in the Select an Action box on the left

• You will be automatically taken to SysInfo.org @ http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

The search for the file has already been done and the answer, if any, will be there

• Don't forget to click Apply when you are finished otherwise the changes will not be saved.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3591&d=1261485078

There is also The Bleeping Computer StartUp Files List @ http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

You must write the name of the File or browse.

NOTE: When searching for these StartUp items you must be sure the spelling is correct. Nasties will try to hide by calling themselves eg: apname.exe when the 'real' name is appname.exe

Also you must abide by 'case sensitive'. Nasties will try to hide by calling themselves eg: APpNamE when the 'real' name is appname

All the best, woz of oz

Hi emttaff. Nice screen prints.

[ATTACH]2690[/ATTACH]

ok I hope this is a copy of my programs running on startup. fingers crossed.

emttaff

Hi emttaff. While your waiting for Maxx, I want to praise you for learning so fast. You remind me of when I first started on this forum. I knew almost nothing and since then I have learned a ton. The difference is that you are learning a whole lot faster than I did, probably because you are a whole lot younger than I am. Yes those are your start ups and it looks to me that you have a ton that you don't need but I'll let my friend Maxx help you on that. Maxx is very PC wise and you will learn a lot from him. You are very fortunate to have him spend time teaching you. Get all you can from him, he's a good guy. Sorry about the PM Maxx. See you at the truck soon.---garybear

garybear thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I appreciate your acknowledgement of my progress over the last week or so. Yes I'm extremely lucky to have someone like Max sharing his time and experience with me. I hope I learn enough so some day Im able to pass on what ive learnt to someone else who needs a hand.

best wishes

emttaff

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/BearisBack.jpg

Welcome back garybear!

emttaff- You have just had the distinct pleasure of meeting my Mentor who has taught me things that I could learn nowhere else but from the Great Golden garybear himself!

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

Nice touch!!

I was a cub once too, in many/most ways I still am :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/BearisBack.jpg

Welcome back garybear!

emttaff- You have just had the distinct pleasure of meeting my Mentor who has taught me things that I could learn nowhere else but from the Great Golden garybear himself!

~Maxx~

Does this sound familar???

garybear thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I appreciate your acknowledgement of my progress over the last week or so. Yes I'm extremely lucky to have someone like Max sharing his time and experience with me. I hope I learn enough so some day Im able to pass on what ive learnt to someone else who needs a hand.

best wishes

emttaff

Hi emttaff. I made this post a long time ago.http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=24892#post24892 PS read post #12 does that sould familiar

If you guys want the rules for MD, the i suggest you guys download it and leave it in training mode for a while.

Still working on it.

Thanks for the tip! Programmable HIPS is great I used it to replace Vista UAC and my computing life is back to being peaceful without the constant UAC prompts!

~Maxx~

emttaff- Great screenshot! We now know that you have 25 programs starting and it is up to you to decide which ones to allow to continue having this privilege, which ones are relegated to a manual start and which ones get uninstalled altogether. All I can do is make suggestions the final decision is as always up to you. Lets start with the larger targets on the list...

Windows Defender- With Comodo you have more than sufficient protection to turn Windows Defender off and remove it from the startup list.

Google Desktop Search and Google Update- If you are not married to the Google Desktop programs I would suggest uninstalling them altogether. For me this was the most pernicious program that I ever tried and I have never missed it since I uninstalled it. Here are some instructions on how to uninstall Google Desktop.

OTOH I strongly suggest that if you don't already have the widely recommended Revo Uninstaller that you download, install, and use it because it not only creates a restore point before each uninstall, but if you use it at its highest setting (#4) it will help you remove all of the registry values left by the programs that are removed.

One word of caution that you don't let it remove any values that are not 200% sure of just click next and it will give you an itemized list of the values to be removed and then only check the ones that you are 200% sure were left by the program being uninstalled. I've removed programs that left as many as 700 values in the Registry so it is important to take this opportunity remove them with Revo. If you have any doubts about the sometimes very long lists of values to be removed like Google Desktop is sure to have just check what you know is Google Desktop related, remove those and then just keep clicking next until the Revo uninstall is finished.

My WebSearch Plugin, My WebSearch Bar and My WebSearch Email Plugin-

'My Web Search also known as the My Way Speedbar is the Internet Explorer toolbar part of the Fun Web Products suite of utilities such as Smiley Central, Cursor Mania, My Mail Stationary, My Mail Signature, PopSwatter, Popular Screensavers, Webfetti, and the My Way website portal. The toolbar allows easy access to search engine results and a 404 Error Redirector called My Total Search among other things to your browser.

They do slow your computer down. All of the products use cookies to track usage, although they claim not to use cookies or anything else to track personally identifiable information. That being said, I would still recommend uninstalling the toolbar and other Fun Web Products if you feel your computer runs better without them.'

If you decide that you don't want to keep the My WebSearch software here sre the uninstall directions

The final two cherries to go on top of this first round of suggested startup removals and uninstalls are...

Adobe Reader Speed Launcher and Adobe ARM- These Adobe programs automatically put themselves on startup, but they can be safely removed from the list and they will start manually if you should need them.

That's a lot for today and although there are several more remaining that we can save that for next session. I realize that much of this may be new to you so please feel free to ask any questions that you like and never make a move that you are not sure of. From the looks of things these changes will help your Vista laptop to run much faster without so much excess baggage that it has to carry around and slow it down. Talk to you soon...

~Maxx~

Archived