IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

scanners

itsmejjj

a-squared Free failed

AVG failed

now thy crashed my pc..ma have to do with blocking that i would not alter

what left ?

i need a bit of help here know very little time to ask assistance--

ok we use the site now but sending up 2 + gig is silly

thank you

itsmejjj

If you are or were infected it could be possible that a trojan alters/removes/destroys settings or files. Removing the infection could lead to a program or your computer not working properly.

It's possible that your Anti-virus programs (anti-virii?) were damaged by the infection because it's not normal that they crash.

thanks for that its was excellent advice,(i mean this nicely)

did you study the attachment

its the best there is at the moment--no 1 of the best

"root kit removers" and viral removers..very complex type scanner..

but i was looking for something a little more simplified until i understand the one i use--

now is there any one that can recommend 4 or 5 thy know works on win7?

just name them we will hunt them our self's..

when i installed the ones i named thy crashed my pc--i am trying to see what else there is available -Free if possible .

many thanks

itsmejjj

by the way we have download the files and still thy crashed..

same as comodo just will not run with our complex system..yet perfect on our other system using XP--

The human brain has two sides.?

at the moment working well.. i think?

@@://www.greatis.com/unhackme/antirootkit.htm

you decide ! we are using it and seems to realy do the job..

its a little slow at first as it scans waning are given..and it checks your system

now "pay attention"---be very care full what you kill..and do ..cant be undone once you set it in kill mode..(reboot) if you picked a file to rid of .it will!

please pay attention to this

if you do not know for goodness sake ask first...you be warned..

take it slow...

we found once it has all under control it fly's ..BOOT up wise..

and you are back to normal speed .or faster?

itsmejjj

The human brain has two sides. and ya need them with this app!

want to see the report it makes when ya ask for one

take ya weeks ta read...*(joke) its a very long one and every thing..

lots of stuff i do not have a clue yet --

Hi jjj ;

Me again. Hoping I can help you this time.

In your first post, you mentionned that AVG and a-squared failed... that they "crashed" your system. In the next posts, you show UnHackMe. So now I guess you've reinstalled Win7 and have only UnHackMe (RegRun ?) protecting you, correct ? The screenshots are nice, but that's all the positive feedback you'll get from me concerning UnHackMe/RegRun...

They're not in the game, not the real game anyway. All flash, no action. I can even see in your first screenshot that they claim to offer "multi-antivirus" scanning ; really ? Which antivirus engines are they talking about ? I've searched (just for you..) and can't find a damned thing about it, not even on the Greatis site. They do say you can run this alongside any antivirus program, which proves they don't have antivirus capabilities in that software. It's all bullsh*t, if you ask me. No one I know uses RegRun or any Greatis software. I had RegRun on my machine once, but this was back in 2003 when they had a decent product for the times (the registry guard).

Never mind rootkit detection dude ; any good antivirus will do that for you, because rootkits come with trojans or worms, so you need to detect the messenger first so then the rootkits won't ever install. Good antivirus vendors keep track of recent malware, and that includes the nasties that install rootkits. Stop the trojan/worm from entering, that's what you need.

And I don't really like AVG or a-squared anyway. AVG is bloated, throws too many false positives and isn't all that good with recent threats. a-squared has many false positives also and, well, isn't really recommended by any serious malware fighters anywhere. If you can handle HIPS, then look that way for the extra layer.

This is my suggestion to you : Avira antivirus (AntiVir) Personal Edition (the free one) + Online Armor Personal Firewall (the free edition).

Online Armor Free has HIPS and is a good firewall.

Avira (AntiVir) is so good it is near the top, even if you compare with the big boys like Kaspersky or Nod32.

Do some manual scans with Malwarebytes' free edition, from time to time.

You're all set.

If you want to upload files, do like you did earlier and scan them at VirusTotal first ; keep a bookmark for each scan, just in case something happens so you'll have proof you scanned them first.

If you want to add another layer, install a Hosts file like the MVPS one.

If you have questions or comments, shoot.

===

Hi jjj ;

Me again. Hoping I can help you this time.

In your first post, you mentionned that AVG and a-squared failed... that they "crashed" your system. In the next posts, you show UnHackMe. So now I guess you've reinstalled Win7 and have only UnHackMe (RegRun ?) protecting you, correct ? The screenshots are nice, but that's all the positive feedback you'll get from me concerning UnHackMe/RegRun...

They're not in the game, not the real game anyway. All flash, no action. I can even see in your first screenshot that they claim to offer "multi-antivirus" scanning ; really ? Which antivirus engines are they talking about ? I've searched (just for you..) and can't find a damned thing about it, not even on the Greatis site. They do say you can run this alongside any antivirus program, which proves they don't have antivirus capabilities in that software. It's all bullsh*t, if you ask me. No one I know uses RegRun or any Greatis software. I had RegRun on my machine once, but this was back in 2003 when they had a decent product for the times (the registry guard).

Never mind rootkit detection dude ; any good antivirus will do that for you, because rootkits come with trojans or worms, so you need to detect the messenger first so then the rootkits won't ever install. Good antivirus vendors keep track of recent malware, and that includes the nasties that install rootkits. Stop the trojan/worm from entering, that's what you need.

And I don't really like AVG or a-squared anyway. AVG is bloated, throws too many false positives and isn't all that good with recent threats. a-squared has many false positives also and, well, isn't really recommended by any serious malware fighters anywhere. If you can handle HIPS, then look that way for the extra layer.

This is my suggestion to you : Avira antivirus (AntiVir) Personal Edition (the free one) + Online Armor Personal Firewall (the free edition).

Online Armor Free has HIPS and is a good firewall.

Avira (AntiVir) is so good it is near the top, even if you compare with the big boys like Kaspersky or Nod32.

Do some manual scans with Malwarebytes' free edition, from time to time.

You're all set.

If you want to upload files, do like you did earlier and scan them at VirusTotal first ; keep a bookmark for each scan, just in case something happens so you'll have proof you scanned them first.

If you want to add another layer, install a Hosts file like the MVPS one.

If you have questions or comments, shoot.

===

I guess you've reinstalled Win7

you guess wrong ,why would i? its perfect..

we scan it for the bug 6 times over and clean..

but yes ya dead right about (only UnHackMe (Reg Run ?) protecting you, correct )

now i take your advice and try the one you suggested..as i know nothing about

virus programs .the one i have i keep..to me being a new user its a nice working program .and warned me of disposable files.that alone is a good thing.

like i said we are woken up to the fact we need something..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And I don't really like AVG or a-squared anyway. AVG is bloated, throws too many false positives and isn't all that good with recent threats. a-squared has many false positives also and, well, isn't really recommended by any serious malware fighters"

Mmm i use iobit 360 is this not plenty fore malware?

Malwarebytes' is this the mbam app?

if it is .sorry .not a hope in hell would even consider this Lott ---as you understand..if you know about the rubbish thy posted..

its the virus we want to catch..

ok that a interesting point you made...wow, you tell that to some others

well happy to see this comment---i can quote this ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

now please call me ,adress me as jjj i don't know dude...

"Stop the trojan/worm from entering, that's what you need."

ok thank you for the post and is welcome i shall look into it! Kasper-sky

ok firt thing we try this one...if it fails try the other one Alvira...i seem to remember the name..

Online Armor Personal Firewall -sorry not worth a pinch of salt ..for us any how..toyed it .like the rest of the oversize fire walls..

falls down when tweaked to block what we want ..

i do hope you take no offense here..i care less about hips.hops buckets,or boxes.sand ,bird,what ever thy call them--i do not want this on my net pc..

as far as fire walls our ip blocking we are ok..with proxomotron .filtering..very happy...its the scanners we want..and again this is very much appreciated!

i know zip all when faced with or asked about scanners for virus..this is now something we -I shall study?

itsmejjj

Okie dokie...

I guess I misunderstood about you saying you re-installed Win7 ; that was in your second post when you said something like : "I had to re-install from CD"

No big deal dude.

I have also read that UnHackMe causes some machines to crash. For the life of me, I can't understand why you would want that monster on your machine, but it's your machine dude. A blind monster that is ;-)

You also mentionned that Comodo firewall wouldn't run. That's good, because it's crap now too... Yep, I used to love their older firewall but I can't recommend them anymore with all the crap they try to install (toolbars..). Oh and by the way, Comodo has HIPS so why are you saying you don't want to hear about HIPS ? Maybe just HIPS for the XP box ? lol. Online Armor is far superior to Comodo now, that's my opinion.

About antivirus programs : they are the first and most important line of defence. Kaspersky is probably the best (in the Top 3 always), but it's not free. No cracking please (general statement).

You don't like MBAM ? That's your choice, but don't try and tell me no one else here uses it... pleeeeeease ; I've done my homework and I won't name names ;-)

Just be sure to have a good antivirus program installed and updated. With the free ones, Avira is the hands down winner. You can complement this with an online Kaspersky scan (free) if you ever have doubts, or run the antivirus toolkit from Dr.Web (CureIt) which is free also, small and powerful.

Quick question : what kind of processor and how much RAM do you have on the machine running Windows 7 ?

Oh yeah, sorry, I almost forgot one thing... read on :

its the virus we want to catch..

ok that a interesting point you made...wow, you tell that to some others

well happy to see this comment---i can quote this ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I misreading this ? Or are you being sarcastic with me while I'm sincerely trying to help you out :!:

Just in case, let me explain this again : you've showed a nice big screenshot of UnHackMe's rootkit detection capabilities and you seem all excited about it. Well, like I said up there, rootkits don't come in by themselves dude ; they come hidden in a trojan horse or worm, or they come after being invited by friends who are already inside (your computer).

So... here's the important part : when a tool says it has detected a rootkit on your machine, it's probably already too late, meaning you are already infected. Is that simple enough ? So let's say your precious RegRun says it finds a rootkit, then start sweating dude. So my point was... get a good antivirus and firewall so that the trojan/worm never gets in to begin with, so no rootkits.

Rootkit detected = too late.

Stop trojans + worms = no rootkits ;)

====

If you were being sarcastic with me, then I understand why Maxx stormed out of here (just joking :wink: )

====

zip all?

Hi jjj

You write this sentence in one of your posts:

"i know zip all when faced with or asked about scanners for virus..this is now something we -I shall study?"

This sentence I understand to mean that you know nothing of virus scanners. Is that correctly understood?

If that is the case it will be dangerous for others to open any file from you.

Therefore I hope that it is just that you have heard the expression and are trying it out because you find that it sounds "smart".

Cheers

solbjerg

you've showed a nice big screenshot of UnHackMe's rootkit detection capabilities and you seem all excited about it. and very charming -presented nicely -and yipe we must get it --you know scary stuf adds .....

yes its nice ,but we are trying it..so far OK i am happy at boot time it works before win starts..and has scanned with all clear bar 4 in my opinion false

but if its a peace of junk we have 30 days to find out..

any app that allows this grace we try..

i cant argue the toss one way or a other and am prepared to take your word on this..and follow the advice

we try it ..comodo was a fire wall i installed (test) to see if it was as thy ,cracked it up to be..win7 its poor--but XP ok having said that left to default settings .have not yet got around to really tweak it.to how we want...

now before we go on ..take no notice of my wordings .or misunderstand my post i am trying my best here as well

nothing smart or silly..ok from my side --treat the post with a grain of salt..

now i did ask..please ,refer to me as jjj..."dude" ..as i am not a dude..i know you mean no harm here.,

.but its offensive to me.. called dude.

..to us here means "smart ass know all uppity" -- we say "uh the dude again.."or look out here come the Dude..or oh no, not the Dude..and so on ...

.thank you--no dude or bud. we agree? if not its up to you..and we stop here..look at it from my side?

we post respectfully as best we know how..learning what we know.

ok i agree we have ta nip any virus in the bud ! yes ..agreed..

one more thing .i am retired invalid.(old gent )..had a bad accident in the mines..

nothing important..

so to be sure we are on the right foot point out -hacking is not a option with us..kids use our systems..i am very old fashioned..have strict rules .using software and systems..

thanks again..for your time and help here..i welcome any good advice..

itsmejjj

Hi jjj

You write this sentence in one of your posts:

"i know zip all when faced with or asked about scanners for virus..this is now something we -I shall study?"

This sentence I understand to mean that you know nothing of virus scanners. Is that correctly understood?

If that is the case it will be dangerous for others to open any file from you.

Therefore I hope that it is just that you have heard the expression and are trying it out because you find that it sounds "smart".

Cheers

solbjerg

because you find that it sounds "smart".

yes is it not a good expression?

just looked this up ---

you are right .it means zipper,fastening with 2 rows..interlocking and opening..fasted with,move around fast..

perhaps the better wording need more experience?

as we let it do what ever the scanners in the end told us..

as in cleared..

jjj

because you find that it sounds "smart".

yes is it not a good expression?

just looked this up ---

you are right .it means zipper,fastening with 2 rows..interlocking and opening..fasted with,move around fast..

perhaps the better wording need more experience?

as we let it do what ever the scanners in the end told us..

as in cleared..

jjj

itsmejjj,

"to know zip" is an expression which means "to not know nothing". That's why solbjerg was asking.

And, concerning the original topic, I use Avira AntiVir Personal as real time antivirus scanner (yes, it scans for rootkits) and MBAM as "whenever" scanner for malware.

So... here's the important part : when a tool says it has detected a rootkit on your machine, it's probably already too late, meaning you are already infected.

Excellent point. A well written data thief or bot will never let you know it's there. By the time it's detected it's been doing its dirty work for who knows how long. How much crap a good antimalware system rejects is more important than how much it finds.

Hi Dan

Precisely

zip can mean - nothing, zero (propably from if something is zipped it is closed - unavailable)

Therefore I understand "zip all" to mean nothing at all

And that is not a statement that inspires confidence in the security status of files from anyone.

Cheers

solbjerg

itsmejjj,

"to know zip" is an expression which means "to not know nothing". That's why solbjerg was asking.

And, concerning the original topic, I use Avira AntiVir Personal as real time antivirus scanner (yes, it scans for rootkits) and MBAM as "whenever" scanner for malware.

Hello folks ;

jjj : sorry about the "dude". It's a friendly expression in my part of the world (it is). For some, it would even be a sign of respect from peers, but that's for a much younger generation ; not mine or yours. I won't use it again.

30 day trial programs can be nice to try out ; I know I did that a lot a while back, but I've found that installing/removing big applications has a nasty way of adding junk to the system, which I don't like. I prefer to search for product reviews before I install something, or just ask around. I'm not saying RegRun is bad, just that it's probably useless. I'll tell you a little secret...: I use the Windows firewall + Avira Free on my machine. We have teenagers in the house so I've added <the program you don't like - fully licensed with IP protection> + a Hosts file. I'm happy with this setup. If there were no teenagers in the house, I would only have an antivirus installed (and it would never beep...). I don't need the fancy protections because I'm careful enough to avoid risks. That comes with experience and a little wisdom. When I want to go crazy and run some nasty files, I use the virtual environment.

Whether you know "zip all" about antivirus scanners or not, you do know about VirusTotal and that's important. Remember what I said earlier : if you want to upload files for someone, just scan them there first, bookmark the page and then upload your files. Scanning them with 40+ antivirus/antimalware engines just before uploading will dramatically decrease the risks of sending out infected files.

I asked you about your machine running Win7 earlier (CPU and RAM) ; that was just to make sure it has the muscle to do the job correctly.

===

Hi detailer ;

When I searched for reviews yesterday, I also found some posts where users had experienced fatal crashes, freezes and whatnot. The probable reason : this type of program relies on deep system analysis to monitor changes, meaning it needs to install very deeply inside the system. In theory, that's possible and could be safe if well coded, but as we know Windows is a complex and unpredictable beast so anytime you allow a program to extend its tenticules deep down inside, you risk having instability issues. It is safer to have a HIPS based program which analyses things that come in, at the front door, rather than have a program inside Windows' "belly" react when something suspicious is allowed in. Compare this to a bouncer at a night club : you'd rather he stops the moron at the door rather than letting him in and then having to pull him out of the croud and them kick him out ; too much commotion there, furniture could get broken and innocent people could get hurt ;)

Some of the HIPS programs do monitor the registry for changes as well, not just processus. Some do install Kernel drivers that launch at bootup, but most I've seen (not RegRun) are well coded and reasonably safe. It all comes down to how much protection you really need and then shopping around for the best possible product that matches those needs.

===

hi jj

i would like only to suggest two free anti-rootkits i use and i find excellent

SuperAntiSpyware and SophosAntiRootkit

I'm not sure if they are running on Windows 7 but if they do u can try them.

I don,t agree with the comment that if rootkits are installed then it's too late

cheers

go ta show how 1 word can case a fuss and have a negative meaning..

zip all --i must try not ta use words in some posts..

probably the better way of say is this

one can be a top driver..know how and the rules..but know nothing about the en gen --or how to fix it ..so perhaps the internals of the program (scanners)

i do not understand..".zip all"---?

i do use them .rely on there ability to make sure a file is clean.

now trusting thy will find what ever..

ok now as for the program i see no one likes it -ok perhaps it is no good as so far i see no one say different--

yet it runs like a dream on my pc..and win7 -is this perhaps thy fixed the program? improved it ? or just i am luky..its run beautifully?

admitting when i installed it -modem of..its took its time to get all in place..

scan and what ever its doing.now when it was done..now at boot time

normal speed .

look guys many post programs some of us like and others dislike..

ok not a problem--like i said we got 27 days left .if we feel its useless .

then goodbye

now i know how to defend .there is no problem there.what has happened

and stated all this a tiny upload.now well documented..and in that learned a hard lesson..

as to virus ,that cased the ruckus..now also made aware -how dangerous

up or dows can be for any one..innocent or guilty..party.even non malice intended.all in good honest intentions....

one can expose one self to (AS in) the processable offender..hard lesson indeed..

ans one i shall remember as long as i live.......

.OK, now for the time being i will ,let it run --and install a few ..see what thy do .

and i thank you again for the nice comment's and correcting my wrong expression..

we are learning..sometimes i read my older post -that i have on my drive.

and see how it can be misread..only take a innocent verb ,from my side to MUCK up the meaning i meant..

and pointed to myself- out .writing.is very different to speaking..

and when i see a post that is misunderstood stood as to what i mean i feel rather barrenest! then try harder to correct it .and makes it non better..

itsmejjj

Hi demitris ;

I have no problems with anyone disagreeing ;)

Sophos Anti-rootkit seems to be compatible with just about any Windows platform, including Seven, Server 2003/2008 and 64-bit, It's pretty decent, but the form they have you fill out to get the tool is a nightmare...lol.

About rootkit detections : if your antivirus, HIPS are whatever guard you have warns you of a possible rootkit trying to come in and you can block it, chances are you might be Ok ; unless the messenger is already in, meaning an infection. If the detection says the rootkit is on the machine already, then you're probably toast ;)

If you run a free scanner (no real-time guard) and it finds a rootkit : toast again.

There are some powerful and free rootkit detectors out there but I won't get into that here. They are complex and potentially dangerous for noobies.

===

Sorry jjj, I was still writing when you posted your message.

No sweat. You can try out the program and see what it does for you. To really test a program like that, you'd need to bombard your box with nasties and see what it can really do - or can't do. I don't recommend this type of testing, unless you have some skills in that area. My point being you may feel it's a "good program" after the 30 days are up, simply because it doesn't cause problems on your system. I can't help you there, because I haven't found any review from reliable sources that can say it does what it advertises.

Have fun with, and I hope it doesn't crash your system...

===

Sorry jjj, I was still writing when you posted your message.

that is ok i do this often

thanks ..i am reading all i can find on the site -have to admit looks all very impressive..

and are in agreement that if it will do what thy say ? ..then i may register it--

i do not know about past version and if thy caused problems..

but this .at this stage .i give 100% running.--its fascinating in what its doing..when it sees a problem.one can kill it reboot before win starts

i hope i got this right..before the icons show? and so on..

so far it found 4 what thy or the program saw ..4 apps running..and as far as

i see it passed them as safe(ignore?)

bee think were 2 of them..haaaa .perhaps its there way thy start up?and complained about my fire wall. lookNstop similar en gen used ..to block ip ..

the problem we face is the 7 OS still very new and yet to be sorted out?

what will or may not run properly..

i must say i am very excited by this app.and just wanted to share this,,without any one using it as i post be aware..and possible consideration..

and will keep a close eye if you or any one can say with out against it ..for what ever .....

is a peace of rubbish..or useless --now reading -"if..or may enter."

i understand full well--and we have to avoid this at all times where we can..

this is why i keep saying we share info here on apps..and what the results reader find..and as to it valid claims made..of a app.

one thing lots of hipe and fancy sites is not always the answer..but can bedazzle a reader..and impress one this site has gone all out to do that..

but may be genuine..

time will show us this..i will not post caps on what its doing as it may be taken as a joke?(scoffed at) by the ones who had a bad experience with it..

and the reaction be not nice.and possible debates..

thank you very much for you kind effort and the comments .as well to every one

i think we are well on the way starting to know how thy work .--and how thy block .not a bad thing..instead of just running a scanner hoping and thinking its doing what one be leaves it should..by the all clear that given..

when used..possible not always the case? even if the program stated you are clear? and this is a worry to me ..you trust the apps to do what thy say..

like fire walls .

so far we are in very good shape nothing found....thank goodness..

and dear sir i do hope you stick around ..you are showing me the more gentle side of your self ..and you have much to offer.i truly beleave this ....i do thank you ..and looking forwards to more ..

itsmejjj

Archived