IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Please take action immediately!!!!

garybear

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi jjj!!

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/rvs-home-free

can some one give me the light?

what is this got to do with the iobit company?

i cant see it mention on there home page

so why get mad at our forum .understanding the concern..why blame us here?

i mean its up to a member if one installs a app.and try's it.if it fails ,well stiff

that's a risk you or i take ..but if it is a iobit product ,yes then i see the point of being angry..

if its got nothing to do with iobit than you are responsible. for trying it.

and not blast us here..all i see is pure anger at the forum..now since the last lot of posts ..

all you done is bitch..and we are certainly not the same ..do not liken" me" like you Gary..as you did in a post..we are very different..

itsmejjj

Hi my friend . You are very wrong about me, and I will not compare myself with you ever again. I only meant that you and I speak what's in our hearts; just as you have done in this post. I'm sorry if that offended you. It was meant to be a complement to you. Yes I'm angry that IObit sold out to Returnil ,and I will not back down. This program is offered in utilities just like sunny said. Our members should not be tempted by this kind of program. Returnil is a program for expert testers like yourself. It has no place here for the majority of our members. The experts can find this kind of program on the internet if they want one. If you see anger from me my friend, then that's good, because I'm very angry and I won't back off, so bring it on IObit, we have clashed before. I was right then and I'm right now. Returnil is not doing anyone any good on this forum, and will only cause us problems. Thanks for your post jjj. Sorry you were offended by my comments. I'm not backing off !!!!===garybear

Hi friends!!

I'm sure I have made an *** of my self once again, but it is because I love this forum and all the members. When I saw Returnil in utilities, I thought this is what my Grandson in law needs, because he has two little ones that mess up his PC all the time. I read about the program and thought this might be an answer to his problem. I allow my great grand kids on my PC when they visit me and thought maybe this would work for me also. I tried for two days to down load the program and sent all kinds of logs to the programmers at Returnil. They finally came up with "you need to compress your drive and the program". I had already done that. I managed to get the program installed while waiting for them to tell me nothing that was worth any thing. I thought it was working and doing a good job until I tried to turn it off and then all hell broke lose. It locked me into a Virtual drive and I was stuck. I could not proceed with any deletes, not even email. I was one mad dude. I could not uninstall the program. I tried F8 and safe mode. That did not phase this program. Every time I restarted my PC , it reinstalled it's self and went in to the enable mode. I tried every thing and nothing worked, so I got out my rescue CD and used my old friend Macrium. I'm back running and all is great. You can all bitch me out if you want but I'm not backing away from this. This is a program for virus fighters and expert PC users and has no place in ASC3. I may have caused all my problems my self, but I will never know because this program will never be on my PC again even though I have Macrium to back me up. I really believe that there are flaws in the program and the free version does not work like the paid version and that's so you will buy their program. I hope I have scared all of our members and they stay clear of this program. I am not one little bit sorry for this thread and I won't back down. I have never had to spend two days trying to down load and install a program before. That should have been my first clue to run away. Run Forest run!! I'm mad at IObit for not checking this out before adding it to utilities. They may be some who say old bear is on the juice again and he's looking for attention. You are very wrong my friends. I believe every thing I have posted and there are some who are on my side and they are true friends, they stand by you when you need them. You know who you are and I won't embarrass you with names, but you are very much appreciated and loved. I think I have explained how I feel about Returnil and I hope this is my last post. I will respond to any one that wants to challenge me and that includes you IObit!!

Hello Gary,

I need to provide some clarification and correct some misinterpretations:

...I tried for two days to down load the program and sent all kinds of logs to the programmers at Returnil. They finally came up with "you need to compress your drive and the program"....

The cause of your installation issue was not because you needed to compress your hard drive, it was because your hard drive was compressed. When you decompress your HDD, RVS will install and work as expected.

...I managed to get the program installed while waiting for them to tell me nothing that was worth any thing...

Please explain what we failed to tell you? We asked for log files to investigate your report and then began investigating them as they came in to us. A cause and solution was sent to you via PM here at the forums and via a reply to the tickets you kept opening rather than replying to your original inquiry. I am more than confident that no other provider would go that far to try and assist you with their software...

...I thought it was working and doing a good job until I tried to turn it off and then all hell broke lose. It locked me into a Virtual drive and I was stuck. I could not proceed with any deletes, not even email....

RVS is a combination solution that combines Instant System Recovery (AKA: Boot-to-restore or System Level Virtualization) with antimalware (Virus Guard) and anti-executable (Main screen > Virus Guard > Additional protection options while using System Safe).

So what does this all do?

The System Safe feature is the Instant System Recovery virtualization that clones your real system partition (usually the C:\ drive) and prevents changes (malicious, unwise, and potentially unwanted) from being made to the real system. In other words, RVS System Safe presents Windows with a fantasy world where anything can happen, and like a dream, is gone at computer restart; leaving your computer clean. This feature can be used in two ways:

1. On demand: Some users will leave the feature off and activate it when they are engaged in risky behavior (surfing the dark side of the internet, malware research, opening a website you are not certain of, etc). In this mode, it is called Session Lock where the virtualization is on only until the computer is restarted. To enable it, you do not have to restart so it functions as a "panic button" in a way.

2. Always on: This is the most secure, but the user needs to make some adjustments in how they use their computer and save files and data. With all changes to the system partition being lost at restart of the computer, it is true that work, files, pictures, etc saved in areas like Documents, Pictures, Downloads, etc would not persist following said restart. For this reason, it is recommended to change your other program settings to save their output and data on a non-system drive or partition. So what is a non-system drive or partition?

EX's:

A. Data Drive D:\

B. USB drive E:\

C. Optical CD/DVD+_R drive F:\

D. External drive or IEEE drive G:\

E. RVS Virtual Drive Z:\

RVS provides a convenience feature called the Virtual Drive (Tools > Virtual Drive) for those who do not have access to a non-system drive (has only a C:\ drive) without the need to partition your hard drive. It creates a large, empty file with special properties that makes Windows believe it is an actual drive. When opened (mounted), you can use it like another drive and files saved within it will remain following a restart of your computer with System Safe activated.

ISR alone however can only do three things by itself:

1. Drop all changes

2. Save some changes

3. Save all changes

This means that malware, though completely removed from your computer at restart, can work as expected while in the virtual system. This is why we have combined the Virus Guard and anti-execute functions to ensure that the user can both block malicious content and get a warning of its presence so they can restart their computer and keep the time the malware was present to an absolute minimum. With just an Antivirus and/or other anti-what-have-you scanner, there is a good chance that malicious content would not be detected (scanners have at best a 30% to 50% average detection rate at any given time) and as a result can persist for days, weeks, and even years before it is discovered and eliminated from your computer with the obvious consequences to personal information or other issues. (Ref: Rustock C, Induc A, conficker/downadup).

With RVS System Safe active, and even if the Virus Guard does not detect it, malware can only persist until the computer is restarted. This means that detection is akin to the canary in a coal mine and is much less important than ensuring your computer is clean.

The System Safe virtualization needs to be turned off from time to time to allow:

1. Microsoft Updates

2. Hard disk defragmentation - This only needs to be done once when using RVS System Safe as the virtualization enforces and maintains the defragmented state of the real system. So anything you do has no effect on the long term performance of your computer

3. File backups and computer images

4. Installation and uninstallation of programs

To deactivate System Safe (will be as though RVS is not installed as far as what happens on your computer):

1. Open the RVS program

2. On the main screen, in the System Safe section, make sure that the link displays "Disable when I start Windows". If the link shows as "Enable...", simply click the link to change it to "Disable..."

3. Restart your computer

Once you restart, the RVS shield symbol in the toolbar and tray icon will be green rather than red.

Continued...

Apologies for the back to back posts but there is more to follow:

...I tried F8 and safe mode....

These approaches do not work because RVS is designed with Kernel level drivers (System safe virtualization, Virtual Disk, and Virus Guard) which require a precise methodology to remove properly with an uninstall. Further, as mentioned above, you need to deactivate the System Safe virtualization before you can uninstall programs or make changes to your system partition.Though I posted the instructions above, they are also detailed in the user's manual (Help Manual).

As RVS is designed to prevent malicious, unwise, or potentially unwanted changes to your hard drive, the virtualization did exactly what it was supposed to do and also proved that it would be extremely difficult for malware to get around it and "permanently" infect your real system partition (C:\ drive ).

...This is a program for virus fighters and expert PC users and has no place in ASC3...

I disagree and will try to give you some compelling reasons why:

1. I can remember similar arguments in the late 90's/early 2000's regarding AV's, Firewalls, routers, anti-executes yet they are common place now and also essential for all types of users, not just experts or researchers. With RVS, the elements inside of it are not new, but how they are combined is, and it requires a little time to adjust, experiment, and get used to a more secure way of computing. Additionally, we are working on greater automation as we go forward that will make it even easier to understand the concept and how it works.

2. For the protection of everyone, it is essential to eliminate the effectiveness of industrialized malware and the profits that keep the criminals in the high life. Improving detection of malware has is the mantra the security industry has repeated over and over with dismal results overall. Not only have traditional approaches utterly failed to stop the propagation and harm from malware, they have not even slowed the criminals down.

With RVS 2010, the concept is Time to removal where even undetected content is removed from the computer as soon as the computer is restarted. So instead of waiting for an update, running a scan, and then removing what the scanner finds, you simply restart the computer and it's gone. How many times do you shut your laptop off during the day as you move from location to location...?

...I really believe that there are flaws in the program and the free version does not work like the paid version and that's so you will buy their program...

True, the Home Free and unregistered free versions do not have full functionality and there are premium features in the paid versions that have more capabilities. To continue employing people, developing software, providing product support, and to maintain current/future projects, we need to make a profit. We offer free versions for the following, important reasons:

1. For those unable to purchase RVS subscription licensing there is still a need to provide access to the System Safe virtualization technology. I have been in the fight for a long time now and I for one am determined to win the war and find a way or ways to bring about the end of malware. Though this might be a pipe dream, it is a noble goal worthy of support and participation...

2. Offering free programs provides a means to advertise without being intrusive while improving MY overall security by helping others eliminate or at least significantly reducing the risk from malware.

With that said however, no program is perfect and we work diligently to get feedback that allows us to improve our solutions. This means we value legitimate negative feedback more than praise as it allows us just that opportunity. Never be hesitant to let us know what you think and what you would like to see changed or improved as it not only helps us, it helps everyone who uses or purchases RVS licensing.

...I hope I have scared all of our members and they stay clear of this program. I am not one little bit sorry for this thread and I won't back down.../

And I hope that I have alleviated that fear and provided some balance to this discussion. I hope you stick to your guns and never back down, but put that effort and enthusiasm towards the goal of fighting malware. The fight needs all the help it can get and all points of view are needed to realize the end of industrialized malware and the illicit profits the criminals make from it.

With Kind Regards

Mike

Excellent description

Hi Coldmoon

I added this in Additional Utilities in Usage of IObit products:

Returnil Virtual System

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.p...9011#post39011

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.p...9012#post39012

Thank you Coldmoon

Cheers

solbjerg

These approaches do not work because RVS is designed with Kernel level drivers (System safe virtualization, Virtual Disk, and Virus Guard) which require a precise methodology to remove properly with an uninstall. Further, as mentioned above, you need to deactivate the System Safe virtualization before you can uninstall programs or make changes to your system partition.Though I posted the instructions above, they are also detailed in the user's manual (Help Manual).

As RVS is designed to prevent malicious, unwise, or potentially unwanted changes to your hard drive, the virtualization did exactly what it was supposed to do and also proved that it would be extremely difficult for malware to get around it and "permanently" infect your real system partition (C:\ drive ).

1. I can remember similar arguments in the late 90's/early 2000's regarding AV's, Firewalls, routers, anti-executes yet they are common place now and also essential for all types of users, not just experts or researchers. With RVS, the elements inside of it are not new, but how they are combined is, and it requires a little time to adjust, experiment, and get used to a more secure way of computing. Additionally, we are working on greater automation as we go forward that will make it even easier to understand the concept and how it works.

2. For the protection of everyone, it is essential to eliminate the effectiveness of industrialized malware and the profits that keep the criminals in the high life. Improving detection of malware has is the mantra the security industry has repeated over and over with dismal results overall. Not only have traditional approaches utterly failed to stop the propagation and harm from malware, they have not even slowed the criminals down.

With RVS 2010, the concept is Time to removal where even undetected content is removed from the computer as soon as the computer is restarted. So instead of waiting for an update, running a scan, and then removing what the scanner finds, you simply restart the computer and it's gone. How many times do you shut your laptop off during the day as you move from location to location...?

True, the Home Free and unregistered free versions do not have full functionality and there are premium features in the paid versions that have more capabilities. To continue employing people, developing software, providing product support, and to maintain current/future projects, we need to make a profit. We offer free versions for the following, important reasons:

1. For those unable to purchase RVS subscription licensing there is still a need to provide access to the System Safe virtualization technology. I have been in the fight for a long time now and I for one am determined to win the war and find a way or ways to bring about the end of malware. Though this might be a pipe dream, it is a noble goal worthy of support and participation...

2. Offering free programs provides a means to advertise without being intrusive while improving MY overall security by helping others eliminate or at least significantly reducing the risk from malware.

With that said however, no program is perfect and we work diligently to get feedback that allows us to improve our solutions. This means we value legitimate negative feedback more than praise as it allows us just that opportunity. Never be hesitant to let us know what you think and what you would like to see changed or improved as it not only helps us, it helps everyone who uses or purchases RVS licensing.

And I hope that I have alleviated that fear and provided some balance to this discussion. I hope you stick to your guns and never back down, but put that effort and enthusiasm towards the goal of fighting malware. The fight needs all the help it can get and all points of view are needed to realize the end of industrialized malware and the illicit profits the criminals make from it.

With Kind Regards

Mike

Hi Mike!!!

With Kind Regards

Mike

Hi Mike very impressive . Now you tell me why I could not turn your program on and off when I damn well choose to do so. Why the features did not work the way the manual said they would . Why only the enable features were dark and all the disable features were light and non responsive. Hey man I really want to believe you. This program is not for the novice PC users . I tried all day to restart and not have Returnil enable. I checked and unchecked until I was cross eyed. It would not respond to any thing I did. I'm far from being a PC expert just as most of our members are, so go sell your program some where else. I have been using a PC for a modest 6 years. I have never had one virus or malware on my PC. You people try to scare people to think if they don't buy your program they will die in a mass of viruses and malware. I'm not buying your BS my friend. How much are you paying IObit to advertise your program?? I really hope you are really sincere about fighting malware. I'm going to pass on your program my friend.===garybear PS This is the lie that really pisses me off my friend. This feature would not work and I wasn't on the juice. 1. Open the RVS program

2. On the main screen, in the System Safe section, make sure that the link displays "Disable when I start Windows". If the link shows as "Enable...", simply click the link to change it to "Disable..."

3. Restart your computer

"(Once you restart, the RVS shield symbol in the toolbar and tray icon will be green rather than red." ) I tried and tried to get the damn thing to turn green. It never would. I'm not the sharpest cat on the block ,but I;m not stupid my friend.===garybear Would you like to tell me how I do this. Also I have heard this is not a good thing to do. I have never installed any program that asked me to decompress my Hard drive. ( " The cause of your installation issue was not because you needed to compress your hard drive, it was because your hard drive was compressed. When you decompress your HDD, RVS will install and work as expected.")

Hi Mike!!!

Hi Mike. Just wondering how many forum members have down loaded and installed your program??? Your sales pitch ani't working my friend. I really wished the free version worked like you say it should. It don't!! If it did I would be promoting your program as hard as I could and that's a fact my friend.==garybear

Hi Mike!!!

Hi Mike. You know I'm tempted to try your program again. I really don't have a worry at all because I have my PC backed up to the hilt. I can use Macrium to restore my OS and it will put me back just like it was the day I created a image of my C drive. I have done this many times and it's fool proof. I'm tempted to screen print every move I make with you free program and post them on this forum. It would prove nothing even if every thing worked just like you say it should. I know what happened before and if it happened to me once it can happen to anyone. I know what your program done to me and I don't want anyone on this forum to have to go through these problems. I wish IObit would push Macrium the way they push Returnil. If everyone had their C drive backed up with Macrium all our members would not have one worry about viruses or malware my friend. I wish that your program had worked like you say it's supposed to and I could tell every one on this forum Returnil is the best thing since sliced bread. I have no confidence in your program my friend. There is an old saying ***** me once shame on you. ***** me twice shame on me. I think the time has come to end this thread and we will go our separate ways. Make your program work and I'll see you back at the truck.===garybear

Hi Mike. This is it and I promise. Just answer these questions for the form. I install your program and then I decide it's not for me. I'm able to turn the icon in the upper right corner green which I never was able to do. I then use Revo, RegSeeker, Ccleaner Eusing ,and regedit to remove your program. I restart my PC. Are you history my friend or are you lurking on my C drive ready to raise your ugly head the next time I restart my PC. Are you sitting out there in space just waiting to reappear and cause me trouble or are you gone for ever. Let me add one more procedure. I hit my Drive 35 times with Eraser to erase all my free space. Are you gone?? Where are you Mike ?? Are you still around or are you gone from my PC for ever?? I know your gone from my PC at this time because I have done some of these things. If you come back to haunt me my friend , it would be a miracle. Answer these questions and we'll still be friends. Tell my members the truth and lets end our feud !!! A simple yes will do. There are some friends that think I've lost it and that's ok. They probably weren't friends any way.===garybear PS The thing that really pisses me off is, I talked my Grandson in law into putting your program on his PC

Hi garybear,

Please take a look at

video =)

I personally don't think this review is done in a professional way. A lot of un-needed talking; however, if you take the time and watch through it, you'll find a lot of useful information that might help you :razz:

Just a quick question, How much Disk Space do you have in Total and How much free space do you have left?

Cheers.

;39053']Hi garybear,

Please take a look at

video =)

I personally don't think this review is done in a professional way. A lot of un-needed talking; however, if you take the time and watch through it, you'll find a lot of useful information that might help you :razz:

Just a quick question, How much Disk Space do you have in Total and How much free space do you have left?

Cheers.

Hi Majic. I saw that video before I tried to install Returnil. It was one reason I decided to try the program. Your right it wasn't real professional . I have watched several of his videos about other programs. If I remember right his name is Matt. I don't remember him ever showing how to unable the program. I'll have another look today. Have you ever heard or know how to compress and decompress your disk. That's a new one for me. I've tried to read about it on the internet ,but I think it's over my head. Mike is telling me I have to decompress my Drive to make his program work. Maybe some of our members will have comments about that. I saw where one person said not to do it because it was dangerous. I really would like to give Coldmoon(Mike) a fair shake even though I had a nasty experience with his program. If you can't uninstall a program that's as bad as a virus. I'm going to ask him some more questions because I want our members to know about this program. Thanks for your post Majic.==garybear

Hi sunny!!

very good video, well explained, thanks for posting the link.

Hi friend. Yes it's a good video. Try it out and and let me know how it went for you. You have Macrium ,so no worries my friend. I hate being the only bad guy on the forum. Try it sunny and let me know where Returnil puts the clone of your C drive. It seems to be a big secret and Mike isn't talking much about where his program hides this clone I would like to see this clone that Returnil puts some where and uses to restore you back to Virtual. I have many questions about this program. If IObit is so hot to put it in utilities, why aren't they supplying answers, and guides for this wonderful program. I'm wondering if it was worth IObit's trouble putting it in utilities. It doesn't look like many of our members are buying the program. That's probably all my fault:roll: Thanks for your post friend.==garybear

Have you ever heard or know how to compress and decompress your disk. That's a new one for me. I've tried to read about it on the internet ,but I think it's over my head. Mike is telling me I have to decompress my Drive to make his program work. Maybe some of our members will have comments about that.

Hi garybear,

If you have checked the checkbox in the Folder Options as seen in the screenshot, all compressed files will be seen as blue, and the uncompressed files will be seen as black.

If it is not checked, when you right click and choose Properties and click then Advanced... button, you will see if there is a checkmark for "Compress contents to save disk space".

If you right click on "C:drive" icon and choose properties, you will see if it is compressed or not.

Compression of a total disk takes a lot of time if you choose to compress your disk. Same for decompression.

If a disk is partially compressed, you can compress it totaly by clicking the option as described above, and can decompress it totaly, if you uncheck it.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4178&d=1265900688 http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4180&d=1265900805 http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4181&d=1265901564

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4179&d=1265900732

Cheers.

gary

in my opinion you do not need to compress your hard drive. People did this ages ago in the days of small hard drives and limited space, with todays large hard drives and availabilty of extra external drives it is not really needed.

As for returnil it saves changes to a mapped vitual drive [ z drive] which is a section within the c drive.

i thought the video was clear on how to enable /disable. You would have had to disable before uninstall with revo.

you saga reminds me of a right nightmare i had many years ago when i was given a free copy of "norton goback" of a different but similar program my pc was so messed up and would not boot had to put my hdd in another pc to format it so i could restart my pc and reload the whole set up. since then never touched these sandbox or goback programs but nearly tempted after watching the video.

did who get your lad to post on the forum so we can help him out or is he ok now?

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/products.html

and iobit 360 for the normal users.is plenty..

well i agree save your self a few problems.just use these all you need !

i read the nice write up ,and the gent defending the program.very nice and the time it took .very dramatic.scary,like all the advertising,lets put some fear into pc novice users,

well i agree with Gary in total,understand the frustrating experience,

this program is NOT for the regular joker ,ta use..as a matter of saying,

forget it..do not even bother..

use the above programs Free,yes even mbam,all you need..

i give this app 4/10 needs a lot of work . needs to be made user friendly

now the free version sucks totally..paid version ,cant tell you as i would not even bother,to park over 1 cent,for this type of app .

but its very kind for the pearson to take time out and post ,his story..

by the way i tried this peace of soft ware ,and flucked my 2nd test pc,

froze it ,and a reboot ,the same,win7 was not happy with it..

but a fast image recover all is good..

itsmejjj

General reply to Gary

Hi Gary,

The logs indicated that the cause of the issue was due to your HDD being compressed and/or the RVS folders being compressed. We are working to provide support for this type of configuration in RVS 2010, but there are other priorities that need to be addressed first:

1. Multi disk virtualization (being tested now in the RVS Labs Beta version)

2. File and folder exclusions (in RVS Labs)

3. Support for Solid State hard drives (in RVS Labs now) - partially tested in RVS Labs where the cache created for a non-system partition can be created and maintained on a different disk - Ex: Virtualize Data drive D:\ and place the cache on sacrificial platter drive E:\. We are working towards full support by supporting this for the actual System Partition.

4. System file recovery (v3.2?)

5. Multi-state restore (v3.2?) - carry a virtual state across restarts for program and configurations testing before committing them to the real system.

6. AI/Machine learning antimalware engine - we have been developing this for several years and it has entered the final training phase before it is introduced to the public. Estimate this as some time later this year

7. Distributed immunity - where information about good and bad content is shared between RVS clients to provide a proactive means for containing an outbreak and then eliminating it from the network before it has a chance to cause widespread damage or loss of productivity.

All of this may seem like Greek to the novice user and it is true that some research and experimentation is required on the part of the user to understand the strategy embodied in RVS 2010. To get you started on the path to a more secure computing environment (that may or may not employ virtualization) I strongly recommend the following threads at the Wilders Security forums. Though the site has a large population of researchers, experts, and general PC security enthusiasts, there is a great deal of information that the novice to average computer user will find of interest:

Securing Your PC and Data

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=252253

Light Virtualization - comparisons of various system level virtualization solutions

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=196103

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=230459

The light virtualization threads are dated, but the general concepts discussed are still valid and will give you a better idea as to what the System Safe feature in RVS actually does and how the various alternatives in this space compare on that specific point.

I hope this helps and we look forward to your feedback and suggestions as RVS evolves.

Kind Regards

Mike

Welcome

A belated welcome to the forum Coldmoon :smile:

Thanks for your informative posts, very interesting

I have been lurking around your forum lately (yeah, that was me) and noticed that you do not recommend using Revo to uninstall Returnil and only recommend using Add or Remove Programs

As a side note, have you seen the new IObit Advanced Uninstaller ?

Some one from Returnil might want to give it a spin and make sure it works ok with Returnil, especially since they are both being 'offered' by IObit.

Note: IObit Advanced Uninstaller has not been officially released to the public yet, it's only available through this forum :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the info.

I may have misinterpreted something from the manual regarding uninstalling from Windows Safe Mode and I apologize to Gary for suggesting something that doesn't work, according to your previous post. From the manual, on page 21 :

1. System Safe (Virtual System):

▪ Disable Virtual System in Windows Safe Mode: Turns the System

Safe feature OFF when you start your computer in Windows Safe

Mode. This is a safety and emergency recovery option that will allow

you to uninstall and then reinstall the program if your preference file

becomes damaged or corrupt for any reason which may result in the

System Safe feature getting “stuck” in the ON mode. Important note: It

is strongly recommended that you do not turn this option OFF!

I got that wrong apparently.

A humble suggestion : perhaps there should be a clearly identified section in the index, pointing to a specific set of instructions, on how to return to a normal Windows session. A quick how-to, basically, for those who may get "stuck".

Just a thought..

===

Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the info.

I may have misinterpreted something from the manual regarding uninstalling from Windows Safe Mode and I apologize to Gary for suggesting something that doesn't work, according to your previous post. From the manual, on page 21 :

I got that wrong apparently.

A humble suggestion : perhaps there should be a clearly identified section in the index, pointing to a specific set of instructions, on how to return to a normal Windows session. A quick how-to, basically, for those who may get "stuck".

Just a thought..

===

Hi,

You are correct and this section of the manual needs to be updated as soon as possible - good catch

That particular text is a legacy from RVS 2008 and older where uninstall was possible in Safe Mode. With the changes between 2008 and 2010, this is no longer possible, but the fact that System Safe virtualization is deactivated in Safe Mode is still valid and allows modifications that aide in recovery from a damaged installation/uninstall.

Mike

Well Mike, thanks for clarifying because for a moment there, I thought I had hallucinated or something. I've done my fair share of testing and have gone through a few manuals in the process, so I thought I was helping there.

Looking forward to new and better stuff in the near future. I might actually try RVS once retaining sessions across reboots becomes an option ; some malware just don't run under VMWare or other virtualization environments. But I get malware only when I choose to get malware lol.

===

Archived