IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Language test

solbjerg

Well done

Well done solbjerg :smile:

I did a bit better than average but I am a native English speaker who has spent a lot of time doing crosswords before this new-fangled internet thingie took over all my spare time :lol:

I don't like the idea of speed being a factor in these tests though. Obviously they can't allow you to take all day deciding, but still, finding the appropriate word in the circumstances should not be rushed.

When people are rushed to find a word they end up using something silly like "thingie" :roll:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi wozofoz

Thank you!

Right you are - one of the reason I have never been much of a gamer is precisely because speed often plays a role in those games.

I like playing chess - but without the watch and just for fun.

When I was young I suppose some competition entered into it too, - but not anymore - I do it just because of interest.

Cheers

solbjerg

Well done solbjerg :smile:

I did a bit better than average but I am a native English speaker who has spent a lot of time doing crosswords before this new-fangled internet thingie took over all my spare time :lol:

I don't like the idea of speed being a factor in these tests though. Obviously they can't allow you to take all day deciding, but still, finding the appropriate word in the circumstances should not be rushed.

When people are rushed to find a word they end up using something silly like "thingie" :roll:

All the best, woz of oz

hi atailor

Well done!

I have tried it a couple of more times - score around 2800+, but as wozofoz says it would be better if they gave you 20 seconds or perhaps ½ a minute to answer each question :-)

I am also a book reader!

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Took another 10. aug. 00:01 score 3460

The score depends a lot on how many "difficult" words you get while those generate the most points :-) + how quickly you do it.

Hi Solbjerg and Woz,

Just gave it a go and scored 3100. For some reason had a moment of brain flatulence when it came to "Prudence". I am an avid "book" reader. Just can't wrap my head around those e-book "thingies". :)

Hi, fellas,

I did the test and scored 3180 which is above average for 70+ year olds. I was expecting a higher score as I used to do heaps of crossword puzzles (cryptic ones too) and all my answers were correct, but perhaps I was too slow. I must admit, though a couple of my answers were lucky guesses.

Hi Ted

Well done!!

Yes we tend to get slower as we get older, I think.

Remember the Reaction time test I attached quite a while back. (30. oct. 2008)

10-15 years ago I scored a reaction time of around 15/100 of a second - now it is at least 25/100 of a second.

So even if we perhaps know more, we can't get it out in time :-)

Bantering is perhaps out for us old geezers. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, fellas,

I did the test and scored 3180 which is above average for 70+ year olds. I was expecting a higher score as I used to do heaps of crossword puzzles (cryptic ones too) and all my answers were correct, but perhaps I was too slow. I must admit, though a couple of my answers were lucky guesses.

Hi

I did another today

Correct Answers:

Impotent: Powerless (Medium) ✓

Amenities: Comforts (Easier) ✓

Austerity: Severity (Medium) ✓

Plethora: Abundance (Harder) ✓

Aloof: Distant (Easier) ✓

Adamantine: Unyielding (Hardest) ✓

Diatribe: Rant (Harder) ✓

Cathartic: Cleansing (Medium) ✓

Analyze: Study (Easier) ✓

Denizen: Resident (Harder) ✓

Yielded 3460 points

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. ✓= Alt+10003 in Arial Unicode, Microsoft Sans, Tahoma, Code 2000, Dejavu, MsMincho, Unicode Symbols font and at least 25 other fonts.

p.p.s. I just added the checkmark sign to one of my toolbars in Word (the toolbar I call the Macro Line) which I have made myself.

The macro I made for this purpose is this:

Sub Checkmark()

'

' Checkmark

' Macro created 11. august 2011 by solbjerg

'

selection.TypeText ChrW(10003)

End Sub

p.p.p.s. I think I described the procedure to place a shortcut in the toolbars in Word in a previous thread. (do you remember that enoskype?)

Unfortunately it is in Danish, but it should give you an inkling of what is involved. Checkmark is called "Flueben" (flylegs) in Danish :-)

The editing of icons was possible in Office 2003 not so in 2007 - about 2010 I don't know.

Progress is apparently more like moving forward and not so much about getting better. :-)

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8086&stc=1&d=1313247128

Hi

I added a couple of things in my previous post.

Especially something about placing icons in Word toolbars.

Even inserted a picture - albeit in Danish though, - perhaps enoskype could change it to a picture with English wording. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

http://onlineenglishlanguagetest.com/test.php

ok since we are talking English ,take a peek here and give it a go

do all and lets see how you fared .no crosswords here but practical English

yes looks Easy If you are English But still can make mistakes.

think on each question then pick your answer

being honest with your self

give each page 5 minits and do not change your answer ones you decided on your answer! look carefully then tick the one you decide is it

then on to the next

cheating is only for fools! decide -answer then leave it as is!!

if you change something then this was useless! and you proved you are dishonest.to your self and every one else as a cheat and fibber.,

How did I go ? not bad all bar 5 right!!

Mr Bean

Oh yes you will need to Get the results From Your Email

Hi Mr Bean

Yes your English has improved enormuously while we have known you.

Nice to see!! :-)

I didn't want to give out my address, but I went through the whole test - I don't think I made any mistakes :-) it took me 8 minutes altogether.

Cheers

solbjerg

http://onlineenglishlanguagetest.com/test.php

ok since we are talking English ,take a peek here and give it a go

do all and lets see how you fared .no crosswords here but practical English

yes looks Easy If you are English But still can make mistakes.

think on each question then pick your answer

being honest with your self

give each page 5 minits and do not change your answer ones you decided on your answer! look carefully then tick the one you decide is it

then on to the next

cheating is only for fools! decide -answer then leave it as is!!

if you change something then this was useless! and you proved you are dishonest.to your self and every one else as a cheat and fibber.,

How did I go ? not bad all bar 5 right!!

Mr Bean

Oh yes you will need to Get the results From Your Email

I got two wrong the first time and the mistakes were made because I read the answers too quickly. So I did the test a second time, a few hours later, and got one wrong, haha. Not because I read too quickly this time around, but rather because it was not a clear answer for me and I had guessed it right the first time. So I got it wrong the second time, ha. Had to do with "glance" and "glimpse". I won't make that mistake again ;)

Archived