IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

32-Core Processors

Toppack

On another Forum site someone said that Windows-7 was designed to operate with up to 32 Processors (or processor cores) on a motherboard. :idea:

I could not validate that on the Microsoft website though.

Anyone here know if that is True or Not?

If so, I WANT one. :mrgreen:

Get Cookin' Intel and AMD!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

PCs with multi-core processors:

Windows 7 was designed to work with today's multi-core processors. All 32-bit versions of Windows 7 can support up to 32 processor cores, while 64‑bit versions can support up to 256 processor cores.

PCs with multiple processors (CPUs):

Commercial servers, workstations, and other high-end PCs may have more than one physical processor. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow for two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers. Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium will recognize only one physical processor.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/system-requirements

Win7 Pro, Ultimate and Enterprise will allow 2 processors on the motherboard, so the max you can get now is 16 threads with two Intel Core i7s (4 cores / 8 threads). Server versions of Windows may accept more CPU sockets.

WOW, 256 Cores :!:

Now I'm Wondering what type of Cooling system would be required,

to prevent a Melt-down of a 256-core motherboard. :shock:

It would all probably have to be mounted in a Deep-Freezer box.:roll:

I Still WANT one ! :!: :mrgreen:

I Suppose I need to contact AMD and find out when they will be available? :-D

Hi,

Win7 Pro, Ultimate and Enterprise will allow 2 processors on the motherboard, so the max you can get now is 16 threads with two Intel Core i7s (4 cores / 8 threads). Server versions of Windows may accept more CPU sockets.

So, the Actual limit is Really Only 4 cores, Not 256 :? ???

I know that 6-core processors and MBs are available Now ??? What about those ???

EDIT:You beat me So_sad.:lol:

Ah, no... I didn't beat you. I simply beat you to it :mrgreen:

Imagine having to pay the electrical bill for 32 cores of processing power :shock:

And the cooling challenge is there, for sure, although good ventilation would work as it does for single processors. Fan noise may become annoying though, haha.

So, the Actual limit is Really Only 4 cores, Not 256 :?

Not quite. The rules say : Win7 Basic and Home are allowed one CPU, so you can get 4 cores / 8 threads with a Core i7, or 6 cores with some Phenoms.

With Win7 Pro/Ultimate, you can double that.

Windows 7 was built to handle 32 cores (32 bit) and 256 cores (64 bit), but you are limited in the number of CPUs allowed.

Just in case I wasn't clear enough...

If a 32 core processor existed today, Win7 x86 would run on it. Win7 x64 would run on a 256 core CPU if it existed. If you had a 128 core CPU available today, you could run two of them with Win7 Pro/Ultimate x64.

But such processors are years away, so all we can do is dream, for now ;)

I Want It NOW !

:mrgreen:

Ok, I had forgotten about the "Extreme" Core i7s with 6 cores and 12 threads each. Problem is, I don't think you can find a motherboard that will accept two Core i7s. Mobos suited for multiple processors are designed for servers, with Intel Xeon and AMD Opteron support only.

But... you could build a machine with a few of these processors :

http://ark.intel.com/products/53580/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-8870-%2830M-Cache-2_40-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI%29

Those Xeons have 10 cores and 20 threads each. WOW !

Motherboard here :

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon7000/7500/x8obn-f.cfm

If you were running the latest Windows 2008 Server R2 SP1 - 64 bit, you could theoritically run as many as 8 of these new Xeons on the motherboard setup linked above. Imagine that :

8 CPUs with 10 cores and 20 threads each ! That's 160 threads... so getting close to that 256 core limit :shock:

You want it ? Sell the house first ;-)

:mrgreen:

Those Xeons have 10 cores and 20 threads each. WOW !

8 CPUs with 10 cores and 20 threads each ! That's 160 threads... so getting close to that 256 core limit :shock:

I think we could 'Have Some Fun' with those Barn-Burners!:-D

You want it ? Sell the house first ;-)

Probably have to sell my House And my Wife! :roll:

:lol:

Hey, I found some of the Intel E7-8870 Processors for Under $5,000.00 each. ;-)

And the AMD Opteron 6172 12-Core for about $770.00 each,

I've had very good-luck with AMD products, so I may actually start looking for a Good-deal on those,

if they are a True 12-core, and there is a MoBo that can handle a couple of those.

I think 24-cores could 'Keep me Happy'. :lol:

I found out that AMD's 8-cores are really two Quad-cores in same assembly,

and the 12-cores are two 6-cores mounted together.

Which is a different configuration than Intel's 10-core CPU.

which must be why Intel's is so Much more expensive?

I am not into servers so I know very little about Opterons (AMD) and Xeons (Intel).

I do know that Intel are the only ones doing all cores on one die now ; their first quads were 2 duos side-by-side, but that all changed with the Core i series.

On top of that, many in the Core i and Xenon series offer 2 threads per core, which AMD doesn't do yet. That's why the fastest Phenom II X6 (6 cores) can barely keep up with the slowest of the Core i7s (4 cores and 8 threads). And yes, there is a price to pay for top performance :|

Yes, I've been looking for any speed-comparison Test reviews,

of Intel's 10-core Versus AMD's 12-core?

But I have Not found good test data yet.

I doubt that the 12-core is faster, but maybe they are similar in speed and thru-put?

(Slower Clock-freq. is another factor that needs to be considered)

Well, My buddies convinced me to Wait until 128-bit Windows is released,

before getting a Multi-Multi-core MoBo and CPUs. :idea:

I suppose I can Make-Do with these Ol' Quad-cores, for a little Longer.:wink: :lol:

I think the real reason is that they don't want me to have a Faster computer than they have. :lol:

I've been reading a lot reviews about the Asus KGPE-D16 MoBo,

and the only common complaint is that it requires 'Dual' 8-pin connectors from power-supply,

which power-supplies do Not normally have. :-?

So an Adapter is required, which most people are making themselves, using 8-pin Molex connectors.

There is No on-board Sound (card required), and some report problems with the on-board VGA-Video,

and the VGA port needs to be disabled before a Video-card can be installed.

I thought I should mention that I have been reading many reviews about that MoBo

and some report having a difficult time finding a good Sound-card that will operate properly with it. :-?

I suppose it Really Was designed to be a Server,

Not a Super Game system. :lol:

Archived