IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

32-Core Processors

Toppack

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found out that Most Software Programs, developed now,

have Not been programmed using Multi-treading,

which is needed to take advantage of the new multi-core CPUs.

So, having a 24-core or 48-core MoBo does Not mean that everything is going to run that much faster, :cry:

but Windows-7 is supposed to.

It seems that Hardware and OS technology is advancing too quickly for Most programmers?

Okay programmers 'Get With the Program' :!::wink:

Oh well, looks I'll be waiting another year or two before getting my 24-core computer. :sad:

Maybe after Windows-8 is released, the programmers will Wake-Up and realize they are 'Falling Behind'. ;-)

It's very Painful to wait, for an ol' Technology-Junky like me though. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Toppack

I think the 32 bit (binary digits) will be around for quite a while.

The software producing companies will probably keep an eye on the less affluent markets of the world where very many are still using 32 bit and in my opinion will do so for a long time (computer terminology :-) )

You haven't listed your computer details - do you fx. have minimum 4 GB RAM to take advantage of your 64 bit setup?

Do you really need the extra computing power afforded by the 64 bit setup?

They say that large scientific calculations and computers in large companies could benefit from a transition to 64 bit setup!

32bit = 4294967296 > 4 billion (4*10^9) zeroes and ones

64 bit = 18446744073709551616 > 18*10^18 zeroes and ones

As far as I remember the transition to 32 bit took place at the end of the nineties in Windows98 replacing the FAT (16 bit) system. (65536 bit)

The 2^16 is still the number of characters in use in the normal standard unicode character map.

Cheers

solbjerg

Oh well, looks I'll be waiting another year or two before getting my 24-core computer. :sad:

Maybe after Windows-8 is released, the programmers will Wake-Up and realize they are 'Falling Behind'. ;-)

It's very Painful to wait, for an ol' Technology-Junky like me though. :lol:

Hi Toppack

I think the 32 bit (binary digits) will be around for quite a while.

You haven't listed your computer details - do you fx. have minimum 4 GB RAM to take advantage of your 64 bit setup?

Yes, 2 of our present systems have Quad-core and 2 have Dual-core AMD FX processors and all have minimum of 4.GB

Do you really need the extra computing power afforded by the 64 bit setup?

YES, It's called it 'The Need for Speed'. :mrgreen:

No matter how fast they are, I want them to be Faster! :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for a Good Case, that is large enough to hold the 24-Core Asus Mother-board,

and have about desided to get the CoolerMaster HAF X 942.

I don't like the red fan in front but I can always replace it with a Blue one,

or an Off switch is provided for it.

I really like the overall design and Options.

(with many fan mounts and Hot-swap drive bays in front)

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has tried that case

or knows of a better design for $180. or less?

See attachment and link:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=18&product_id=2988

Well, I've desided to wait until I can get the new AMD Opteron 6200 cpus, that has 16 cores,

which will add up to the full 32 cores I was looking for. :grin:

The 6200 series is supposed to operate up to a decent 3.5GHz clock frequency, :-D

not the Poor 2.2GHz maximum of the 6100 series. :roll:

Hopefully they will be available at a fair price soon? :?:

Hey Toppack,

This box should work when you're ready to build.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=843&Itemid=61

A.T.

I was checking on the Level-10 case, I like the white version.

The cost of it has reduced a lot recently.

But I'm wondering about Cooling, since it doesn't seem to have enough places to mount Fans?

(I like fans in top of case also, which is one reason I like the C-M HAF X 942)

It also does Not appear to be very practical and would be almost imposible to change or customize. :roll:

It would definitely Impress the Neighbors though. :lol:

(I like fans in top of case also

Oops, I stand corrected, I found out that the Level-10 case Does have a 200mm Fan in the Top, so it's looking better.

Now if I can find a good one for about $100. less than I've found so far, I may get one. :wink:

I'm wondering why they never show a picture of the Inside of it, where the Mobo goes, though ???

It appears that area would be very difficult to work in, to get everything to fit properly?

See blue top-fan:

Hey Toppack,

Did you read through the entire review I posted. There are excellent photos of the case interior (before and after the build installed).

A.T.

Oops, No I did not see that link. :oops: Thanks!

I'll take another look at that, because I really do like the White with blue LEDs, because it matches the furniture in my computer room perfectly. :-D

Maybe it will be more Practical than it first appears?

I figured out what was confusing me about the Level-10 Case Interior pictures.

There are two designs that are very different but look similar.

The original Level-10 was a more modular design that looked good, but Not very Practical.

The later Level-10-GT design is made more like other cases but still has the modular look, even though it is Not, and I like this one.

There's an interesting Video about it on this webpage:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133192&Tpk=Thermaltake%20Level%2010%20GT%20snow

Hey Toppack,

Gotta love those Newegg videos, when your thinking of buying.

My main box is a Raidmax Aztec (was originally black and orange). A can of Krylon rectified that, now the front is charcoal gray with a silver metal flake. The main reason I bought it was for the drop down motherboard tray. It sure makes the maintenance and upgrades a lot smoother.

Hope you get your monster up and running in the near future, keep us advised.

A.T.

How about That! Presently my best case is an Aztec Also, but it's the Black and Blue version with Blue LEDs everywhere. No Krylon needed. :lol:

I really like the fold-down Mobo tray.

I had to modify it to add another HD-LED in front of door, since the original LEDs are difficult to see, and added some filters to air intakes, which I enlarged slightly.

I was going to get another one,

until I found out the that the new Dual-CPU Mobos may not fit.

Another problem is the PSU being mounted in top, where a large fan really needs to be.

(I first had a 600W Power-supply in it that got too hot and failed, I replaced it with a 750W,

with 2 fans in it, about 4 months ago, and it's holding fine)

Even though it looks Good, I don't think I'll get another with a Door on front.

See Aztec:

I found out that AMD sent some 16-core CPUs to some Server manfacturers.

Those must have been a Beta batch, and evidently problems were reported,

and since then everyone has been very quiet about when they might be released to general public. :roll:

So, it may be next year before assemble of mine starts. :sad:

Oh well, that will give me more time to find good deals on the other components needed.

I always try to find a positive side to Delays. :lol:

I encountered Another problem!

This time with the Motherboard I was planning to use, the Asus KGPE-d16.

All the on-board ports that I first thought were USB ports are actually SAS (SCSI) ports.

It only has 2 USB-2.0 ports at rear and None on Mobo,

and No USB-3.0 ports. :sad:

I could add a card that would add more 2.0 ports and cable those in or out,

but I think there is No way to add 3.0 ports, if the Mobo does Not support them,

except for a PCE-E card ???

Is that Correct?

I encountered Another problem!

This time with the Motherboard I was planning to use, the Asus KGPE-d16.

All the on-board ports that I first thought were USB ports are actually SAS (SCSI) ports.

It only has 2 USB-2.0 ports at rear and None on Mobo,

and No USB-3.0 ports. :sad:

I could add a card that would add more 2.0 ports and cable those in or out,

but I think there is No way to add 3.0 ports, if the Mobo does Not support them,

except for a PCE-E card ???

Is that Correct?

Hey, I found one !

The board fits PCI-E slot, and has 1 rear port, and Hub has 4 front-panel ports. (5 ports total)

It's kinda expensive at about $80, but so far that's the only one I've found that will do what I want,

to get ready for 3.0 devices, which are 10 times faster than 2.0. :-D

They will probably have 4.0 released by the time I get this computer built though. :roll::lol:

See Pic:

Well, I found out that the Asus Mobo may not work with the AMD 16-core CPUs, if or when they are released. :sad:

It appears that a Mobo-BIOS Update would be needed, but it still may not operate properly.

Looks like I'm trying to Rush things Too much. :wink:

So, the ol' 12-core CPUs will be the best way to go, if I want do this build anytime soon. :roll:

Oh well, 24-cores is better than the 4 I'm using now. :lol:

BTW- I'm back to using the HAF X 942 Case now. It's just more Practical and I can paint it any color I want to. :wink:

How about Copper & Black with Blue lights ???

I've been trying to determine which RAM modules would be best for this system,

and after hours of researching things like Mobo compatibility, Latency and Timing compairing of the Many manufacturers, etc. :shock:

I could Not deside which ones to get, :roll:

so I think I'll just get the ones with the Fancyest Heat-Sinks. :lol:

It always comes down to the 'Wow Factor'! :lol:

Archived