IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Why is ASC sending pings?

sellerthorpe

Hi Toppack

The only reason I can suggest is that if you have chosen in the setting to having set the program to automatically check for updates it makes a kind of sense.

I haven't and only use the program manually so I do not experience this behaviour.

Cheers

solbjerg

Very Strange! :shock:

I can Not think of any reason ASC would need to do that? :roll:

Hi Toppack

The only reason I can suggest is that if you have chosen in the setting to having set the program to automatically check for updates it makes a kind of sense.

I haven't and only use the program manually so I do not experience this behaviour.

Cheers

solbjerg

Same here, I only run manually.

Yes, if it is running in Auto mode, Updates can not be checked for at Start-up, because there is No start-up, if the computer runs constantly.

Maybe there is No easy way to program a delay for more than that time,

which is really No delay time between pings?

The pings are there in Manual mode as well. It has nothing to do with auto-updates.

As long as the application is running, it is pinging. I do not use auto-protect, auto-update, or any other automated feature. I click the application to start it, and the pings begin happening. When I close the application, they stop.

Since it's been shown that asc.exe is the source, I think there's a good chance that this is happening in all installations, and some people just don't notice it or have something to view it with.

Is it simply to slow down the network traffic to give the end user a feeling that it is helping them? That way when you turn it off, things work better!

No automatic functions are on. It is as sellerthorpe describes. When the application is running, it is constantly pinging. When you stop the application it stops pinging.

Why would it be pinging google anyway???

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

:idea: Perhaps we should ask Cicely???

We can wait for a response from IoBit but the response more than likely will be a denial or some obscure explanation of the pinging.

Remember that privacy protocols and laws are much different in China than in most countries whereas in China the privacy is not respected and giving a giant like Google/Baidu access to clients data is fair game for some extra cash.

Here is what I recommend if privacy is of concern to you. Go to the settings of your firewall and prevent ASC5 from communicating with any IP. Also make sure that you shut down communication through email ports and all other ports by ASC. Some versions of ASC (earlier releases) used a program like 'update.exe' for example to communicate with another server so any program in the ASC5 directory has potential to do the same. Make sure you KNOW the programs that are accessing TCP/IP and cut off access if you don't know 100% what they are plus disable access through all the ports if you want your private data to stay on your computer rather than being sent out. Trade-off? You will have to update ASC5 manually once in a while but no big deal. Have Microsoft Security Essentials installed and this will take care of your security needs better than any program put there.

Cheers

???

Just because a program is pinging a DNS server Does Not mean that any private data is being compromised or "sent-out".

Why would you suggest that? Do you understand what a Ping really is?

It's my opinion that privacy ethics in China are just as high, if not higher than Many other parts of the world.

???

Just because a program is pinging a DNS server Does Not mean that any private data is being compromised or "sent-out".

Why would you suggest that? Do you understand what a Ping really is?

It's my opinion that privacy ethics in China are just as high, if not higher than Many other parts of the world.

It is doing more than pinging. If you want to see the stream that is sending you can use WireShark. Close all your programs except for ASC5 and set WireShark to monitor all ports and log the activity. Let it run for 10-15 minutes. Then open its log file and voila!

What does the log file tell you?

What does it appear to be doing?

The original report was of Pings to Google-DNS,

If it's really doing More than that, This is a different Story!

I've not tried it but doesn't Wireshark only give Info about where your network is connecting to,

not what, if any, data is being sent-out?

I do know that there are new, so called 'SuperCookies', etc. that do more than normal data transfer and collection,

but how do we find out if these connections to the Google DNS are doing something like that?

I don't think Wireshark will do that, correct?

Dear friends,

Sorry for the confusion, please don't worry about that ASC will collect or sent the information, it is just used to validate whether the customer's computer is connected to Internet correctly.:!:

Unfortunately, there is a bug about this function.:sad: We are working on it now and it will be fixed in next version.

By the way, we will release ASC V5.1 in next month, most of the found bugs will be fixed, please help us test it after the release and feel free to contact us for any question.;-)

Thank you for the replies. I was only ever worried about the additional network traffic, and nothing more. I'm glad to hear that it is being classified as a bug and is being looked into.

Yes, strange how these little things get 'Blown Out of Proportion'. :wink:

Archived