IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASCTray still showing in msconfig

Ted

Hi, All,

I decided to give ASC5 another go after leaving it alone for ten days. Okay, using Revo Uninstaller/Advanced mode, then Scan and Delete Junk Files I uninstalled ASC5, then installed ASC5.1. I'm very disappointed as ASCTray still comes up in msconfig. Is this normal, if not what have I done wrong? How many other users have ASCTray showing in msconfig?

Hi Ted

What are your general settings in ASC and what are your settings for automatic functions?

I don't have ASC running in my services and it is not in my tray - probably due to not having been selected to be there.

I do have IMF in my services because I utilize some automatic function in that program - it is also in my tray.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, All,

I decided to give ASC5 another go after leaving it alone for ten days. Okay, using Revo Uninstaller/Advanced mode, then Scan and Delete Junk Files I uninstalled ASC5, then installed ASC5.1. I'm very disappointed as ASCTray still comes up in msconfig. Is this normal, if not what have I done wrong? How many other users have ASCTray showing in msconfig?

Hi Ted!

I don't use any automatic functions in ASC or IMF. In my Vista Home Premium SP2 Imf is not listed as I have not run it since my last boot. ASC service is listed but as Stopped, I suppose it is listed as I was running it earlier today, and when I closed the app, it reverted to stopped.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Hi, solbjerg and Mel,

I'm pretty sure I've got my settings right and nothing is set for automatic. Have you fellas checked your msconfig startup lists to see if ASCTray is listed?

Perhaps I've got an old Settings files stored somewhere? Although I've uninstalled everything using Revo/Advanced ASC5 is still showing my Backup files.

I still think those are left over from a previous version that was still set to Auto-load, when the update was done,

and was not removed by new install.

UnInstalling the new version is not going to remove it since it was created by the older version and is still active.

Hi,Toppack,

Any idea where those settings would be stored?

Does the attachment give any clues at all?

Now here's a funny thing:

I renamed the "ASCTray.exe" file to "ASCTrayOLD.exe", but it still lists itself in msconfig!

Okay, I'm beginning to understand my problem a little better now. I've clicked the ASCTray.exe file in C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 5 and the ASC5 icon appears in the system Tray. However, after I bootup, no icon is displayed in the System Tray even though it's configured to startup in msconfig, so that instruction is merely to display that icon. Why, and how do I stop,it?

Hi Ted

If you want it in your system tray I think you should choose that setting in the settings.

Apparently it is shown in your startup programs in msconfig - Toppack may have given the right answer in his post - but even if it is in msconfig as a startup program you have said previously that you have deselected it to start in the program settings, right? Apparently the program settings then override the msconfig startup settings?

Cheers

solbjerg

Okay, I'm beginning to understand my problem a little better now. I've clicked the ASCTray.exe file in C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 5 and the ASC5 icon appears in the system Tray. However, after I bootup, no icon is displayed in the System Tray even though it's configured to startup in msconfig, so that instruction is merely to display that icon. Why, and how do I stop,it?

Hi, solbjerg,

Thank you for your patience.

No, I don't want the icon in my System Tray and I don't want it listed in my msconfig startup, either, but ASC5 reinserts this entry in msconfig every time I restart the programme (although no icon shows in the System Tray). Where can I find the rogue file that's over-riding my setting?

Hi :smile:

I am no expert on msconfig but from my experience it is difficult to change what is listed but that doesn't mean that those listed items will start in some way or somewhere.

I have also read that msconfig is a "troubleshooting tool" and should not be used as a startup manager

Have a look at my screenshot, all the items with a red arrow (and more not shown) have been disabled with a startup manager. Those items do not appear in Task Manager and any 'functions' they enabled are disabled

EG: AzMixerSel is for to Realtek_Azalia Mixer Selector and basically enables hotkeys for the mixer. After disabling it with a startup manager, everything related to the Realtek Mixer is disabled even though it still appears in msconfig.

After many months of trying to get the perfectly 'clean' computer I have come to the conclusion it is not possible, now I just look in Task Manager and if it is not running I leave it at that :grin:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9316&stc=1&d=1326513089

All the best, woz of oz

Hi Ted!

Woz would appear to correct on this as you can see the service is reported as being stopped in task manager, no matter how msconfig displays. Just so you know... since I made post #3 on this thread, I have done a clean install of the newest version of ASC (I always wait awhile before updating to see what kind of bugs are reported:-D). So on both versions the service is listed as stopped in task mgr. when I close ASC.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9317&d=1326514692

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

It does not matter whether the thing has stopped or not , what matters is that if you are a customer that has paid for the program , which I have , then you would like it to be the best it can be and get value for money. This problem was NOT in the previous version so I do NOT want it in this version.

I do NOT want this in my startup , I want FULL control over all programs on my computer especially If I have paid for that program for the last 3 years, Iobit please can you fix this error , If not then the great "customer service" and "commitment to the customer" you continually boast about means absolutely nothing, does it?

You also said that this would be fixed in the next update, but it is NOT....come on Iobit...

Archived