IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC5 questioned in Windows Answers Forum

At least half, in not more, of Windows updates fail to install and I get the 8024200D error message, which means I need the System Update Readiness Tool, which I've downloaded twice, but no improvement. I've checked Windows software compatibility chart and found that previous versions of Kaspersky Pure and Iobit's System Care were given green check marks for okay. I've even run sfc/scannow and nothing wrong was found. Several of the updates that failed to install are critical to Windows 7 security, and this bugs me a lot. I posted this concern on Windows Support Answers Forum and a person replied, pointing the finger at Advanced System Care 5, and ANY registry cleaner. He suggested I undo all changes made by ASC5, reboot, run Windows Fix It 50202 in default and aggressive modes, reboot and try installing the updates, but still no fix. I feel like I've stripped the drain plug of my oil pan, and though my car runs for the time being, I know I'll have major problems. What gives?

Hi SevenBeauties

Your security settings in Internet Explorer, could they be too strict?

Is update https://update.microsoft.com allowed?

Have you tried running the tool security holes from ASC?

Cheers

solbjerg

At least half, in not more, of Windows updates fail to install and I get the 8024200D error message, which means I need the System Update Readiness Tool, which I've downloaded twice, but no improvement. I've checked Windows software compatibility chart and found that previous versions of Kaspersky Pure and Iobit's System Care were given green check marks for okay. I've even run sfc/scannow and nothing wrong was found. Several of the updates that failed to install are critical to Windows 7 security, and this bugs me a lot. I posted this concern on Windows Support Answers Forum and a person replied, pointing the finger at Advanced System Care 5, and ANY registry cleaner. He suggested I undo all changes made by ASC5, reboot, run Windows Fix It 50202 in default and aggressive modes, reboot and try installing the updates, but still no fix. I feel like I've stripped the drain plug of my oil pan, and though my car runs for the time being, I know I'll have major problems. What gives?

Welcome

Welcome to the forum :smile:

Did this updates problem became apparent last Tuesday when Microsoft released it's monthly updates?

I have not seen any other posts about this problem here on the forum, if it was an Advanced SystemCare issue surely others would have had this problem too.

When I was searching this problem on the web I could not find any other people posting about the exact same updates problem (there are always some Microsoft updates problems on the forums) so I would guess the issue might be with your computer.

I couldn't find your thread at Microsoft Answers forum but I did find your thread Windows 7 updates won't install @ PCHelp forum

Since you have already got an answer there I suggest you follow those instructions and see if they can help getting the updates issue fixed, trying more than one 'fix' at a time can be confusing and possibly cause more problems.

All the best, woz of oz

ASC5 questioned in Windows Answers forum

I've added https://update.microsoft.com to my IE's trusted sites, but downloading isn't the problem, it's the installation. And I suppose I'll try ASC5's security holes tool, but I did that after paying for the program to put it through its paces. I'm a little confused as that guy in the Windows Answers forum questioned using any registry cleaner program. But I'm very grateful to those who've read my posting and want to help me. Thank you very much. If I get out of this muck, I'll post here how and what.

SevenBeauties

Well SevenBeauties

I also wondered about his recommandation to not to run reg. cleaners - it may though possibly be true if you are running them automatically during a Window/Microsoft update even though I doubt it.

At least I have never experienced the problem you report, but then again I do not use the automatic functions.

I am still on XP - just to be clear about that :-)

Have you hidden any updates?

Good luck!!

Cheers

solbjerg

I've added https://update.microsoft.com to my IE's trusted sites, but downloading isn't the problem, it's the installation. And I suppose I'll try ASC5's security holes tool, but I did that after paying for the program to put it through its paces. I'm a little confused as that guy in the Windows Answers forum questioned using any registry cleaner program. But I'm very grateful to those who've read my posting and want to help me. Thank you very much. If I get out of this muck, I'll post here how and what.

SevenBeauties

...I'm a little confused as that guy in the Windows Answers forum questioned using any registry cleaner program...

On almost every computer related forum there will be members who are against the use of registry cleaners and other members who think they are a good idea. It has been a hotly debated topic for many years and I'm sure it will continue to be debated for many years to come :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

• 3 weeks later...

Cautious behavior here on

Thank you all for your concern and responses. I had to reinstall Win 7 again and did so more carefully and since then all Windows 7 updates succeed in installing. Moreover, the historic Derecho storm of 2012 devastated my region and I only got electricity back on yesterday, after eight sweltering days, so please forgive me my tardy thanks. Even though the Washington Post had an article about the DNSChanger malware that will prevent hundreds of thousands of people from accessing the internet on Monday because the FBI has quarantined infected servers, I have become so cautious that I won't download the recommended scanning software.

SevenBeauties

Hi SevenBeauties!

I am glad your issue is resolved!:-D

It is unfortunate that a re-format was necessary. I am curious if you attempted a repair with your system disc before you reformatted?

Also have you ever considered using a system imaging software such as Macrium Reflect to help prevent the need for re-format?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and Prosper!

ASC5 questioned

Dear Mel:

A person on Microsoft's Answers forum tried helping me and without hesitation questioned my use of Advanced System Care 5 - or any registry cleaner - and pointed me to forum postings and a blog to draw my own conclusions. From what I gleaned, and that doesn't mean I found the Rosetta Stone of Truth, is that at best a registry cleaner won't improve performance and at worst can muck things up. After my second reinstallation of Win 7, which I performed more carefully, all my Windows updates succeed in installing. I didn't reinstall ASC5, though, as I'm afraid to do so. I believe that my Windows updates succeed in installing because I disconnected my PC from my broadband modem and performed a custom installation of Win 7 which I allowed me to delete the partitions. Though my PC runs great, Win 7 stills detects problems with one or both of my HDD's. I used Seagate's SeaTools for Windows which scans and corrects bad sectors, but after a torturous seven hour scan it gave me a clean bill of health, but not Win 7. This does seem to vindicate ASC5, but I'm very cautious about what I download and install as I'd rather crawl over a mile of broken glass than reinstall Win 7 and all my other downloaded programs and 48 Steam delivered games. Thank you for your response.

SevenBeauties

You need to remember that ASC is a collection of Many different utilities.

You do Not have to run All of them, just the ones you need and trust with your computer.

Disable the ones not needed by removing the check-marks, at each utility, on windows of each section.

@Toppack and SevenBeauties...

Every single day I do a quick scan with ASC 5.2.300 as well as the latest extended CC (incl junk files,leftover Windows Update junk, regio and cookies) between Browser changes and/or reboots.I DO look over the analyses before I clean anything.Also, once a week I use Auslogics Registry Cleaner (Damn good software) under ADMIN privileges....I haven't had a snappier machine ever with NO unwanted cookies,junk files and obsolete items and log files! :-D

....Make sure you set a system restore after a particularly good session so you will never have anything to worry about should a disaster occur. ;-)

G'Day!

-Cowboy

You need to remember that ASC is a collection of Many different utilities.

You do Not have to run All of them, just the ones you need and trust with your computer.

Disable the ones not needed by removing the check-marks, at each utility, on windows of each section.

EDIT: Doing System Restore or Creating a Restore Point? :wink:

Hello Again SevenBeauties.

I understand your need for an answer to this question, I too have asked it and researched in the past. It is as Woz points out in his post.

I buy into some of the arguments on each side. I have personally seen many occasions where a registry becomes cluttered and impairs the performance of the machine. However... you must be very careful when you tend to your registry (if you so choose). Many people are obsessive and way overuse such powerful tools (the registry repair function of ASC is only one of such tools and is in my opinion the finest if you so choose to use)

There have been instances on this forum where users have damaged their OS using ASC's Registry Fix function blindly or improperly. In your case I don't think ASC was the culprit. Most instances here were when users blindly repaired items that were labeled "High Risk"... usually when utilizing the deep clean function. "High Risk" means there is a high risk of damage to your system if you tamper with that entry. I have yet to see damaged OS due to repair of lower risk items on this forum. If you use ASC... run a scan only... then carefully choose what you repair. This can take some time to do properly if it is the first time on a cluttered machine. If you are unsure of a high risk item... untick it.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10141&d=1341767564

As Toppack points out in his post... ASC is packed full of tools for all manner of PC maintenance and health. The registry repair function is only one of them. Some of the tools are very powerful and you should take the time here on the forum to read the threads about them. The Cloned files scanner is one you should definitely learn about before use. A review of the thread Usage of Iobit Products I recommend, though dated, most of the information is still very relevant.

The system imaging software I linked in my previous post is free and can prevent you from ever having to re-format if used properly. There are other imaging softwares (Here Woz comments on another). I highly recommend to everybody they have an adequate back-up!! :shock:

I hope you find this helpful!:-D

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. Had you attempted a repair with your system disk or did you immediately re-format?? I am most curious!!:?:

P.P.S. I thought Win 7 had some kind of built in imaging function???

@Melvin....

I NEVER do a deep registry scan except to see if there are any other items other than "High Risk"on a deep scan I might change (I never touch those High Risk Items,they are for the real Pro's). I trust and use my Auslogics Registry Scanner for that mainly because I can 'see' better what I might change and because it has a very good restore function. ;-)

I guess I have developed a method that suits me perfectly! :-D

Thanks Melvin

-Cowboy

• 3 weeks later...

I had this error too. The only thing that fixed it was to identify the exact updates that were failing and to download and install them individually.

Hi sdjt

My idea about this error is that it could stem from using TurboBoost without configuring it properly.

If you want to use TurboBoost (which is a function designed to save resources) you should at least place the items you want to keep running in the Ignore List.

I think that many people use TurboBoost without really needing to because they think that anything turbo must be better, but it is in reality a tool to stop services that aren't always needed, and this general attitude is not always true for everyone. Therefore the settings and the items found should be checked thoroughly before using this function.

Cheers

solbjerg

I had this error too. The only thing that fixed it was to identify the exact updates that were failing and to download and install them individually.

Archived