IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

What is ascservice.exe?

ReneM

I was somewhat surprised this morning when Norton popped up with a warning that the file ascservice.exe took up all the resources at my powerful Computer.

I have disconnected everything in ASC 6 for automatic functions and operations, so there should not run anything at all.

It disturbs me that a hidden feature in the program can completely record all my machine's resources without I have asked it for anything.

Is it possible to be informed about what ascservice.exe make on my computer and how to get it to stop, so I might get my computer power back to others and more important tasks.

Thank you in advance.

[ATTACH]10735[/ATTACH]

Hi Rene

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\IObit\Advanced SystemCare V6\AscService.ini

Do you have this file?

What does it say?

I suppose that it is a service that checks whether you "need" anything

The Norton warning may have been from a millisecond where the service did use all the cpu resources (guess)

If it is a bona fide IObit file it should not be dangerous, but as it checks your files, the standard is that it has a 33% chance of being dangerous in the eyes of the settings in many antivirus programs.

Cheers

solbjerg

I was somewhat surprised this morning when Norton popped up with a warning that the file ascservice.exe took up all the resources at my powerful Computer.

I have disconnected everything in ASC 6 for automatic functions and operations, so there should not run anything at all.

It disturbs me that a hidden feature in the program can completely record all my machine's resources without I have asked it for anything.

Is it possible to be informed about what ascservice.exe make on my computer and how to get it to stop, so I might get my computer power back to others and more important tasks.

Thank you in advance.

[ATTACH]10735[/ATTACH]

Excuse my lack of information.

I use Windows 7, 64-bit.

As shown in the picture, it is not milliseconds but several minutes the file tabs all resources.

I turned everything automatic off including automatic search for new updates so there should probably not run anything without my consent.

In the ProgramData folder I found ascservice.ini with the following content, but it tells me not much:

[browserProtection]

installPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 6

[ASCService]

CheckUseAscTime=11/05/2012

CheckUpdateTime=11/05/2012

Cheers

René

Hi Rene

Ok, but it is also to be found in Windows 7 apparently :-)

Try taking a look in the program folder and find ASC Service log

Take a look in that file it does show the intervals it is set to run the service as far as I can see by me.

It may be possible to change these settings somewhere?

Cheers

solbjerg

Excuse my lack of information.

I use Windows 7, 64-bit.

As shown in the picture, it is not milliseconds but several minutes the file tabs all resources.

I turned everything automatic off including automatic search for new updates so there should probably not run anything without my consent.

In the ProgramData folder I found ascservice.ini with the following content, but it tells me not much:

[browserProtection]

installPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 6

[ASCService]

CheckUseAscTime=11/05/2012

CheckUpdateTime=11/05/2012

Cheers

René

It may be possible to change these settings somewhere?

I'm sure ;-)

I have found the log file, but unfortunately I can't use it.

Perhaps other skilled users can analyze it and come up with a reasonable explanation.

I am interested in knowing why ascservice.exe is running on my computer when I have asked to be free of any automatic runs.

And I am of course interested to know what it actually does and why it takes up all the resources on the machine.

Cheers

René

Okay, my next guess is that it is the 'System-status' Monitor,

and I think it also creates a system-status and configuration Log-file?

(since I saw a ascservice.log file)

I remember that older versions of ASC also had the ascservice.exe file,

and I think I asked what it was for, when version 5 was first released.

But I don't remember ever getting an answer then either. :?

Note - Maybe if I Keep Guessing, someone will jump in here with some Facts, to Correct me? :lol:

Do you have the #active optimize" turned on?

Hi Solbjerg

As already mentioned, I have disabled all automatic actions in ASC6 - also #Active optimize.

I have also now uploaded several screen shoots to support it.

I'm still interested in knowing why ascservice.exe is running on my computer when I have asked to be free of any automatic runs.

And I am of course still interested to know what it actually does and why it takes up so many resources on my machine.

These questions can best (I think) be answered by IObit developers.

Otherwise it will probably be pure guesswork what the file in fact performs - and why.

I have seen that other users have had a similar problem.

They solved the problem by renaming ascservice.exe to something else, but it is in my opinion not the correct way.

I want to know what it does - and why?

Does that sound crazy? ;-)

Cheers

René

[ATTACH]10742[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10738[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10739[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10740[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10741[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10743[/ATTACH]

I have seen that other users have had a similar problem.

They solved the problem by renaming ascservice.exe to something else, but it is in my opinion not the correct way.

Yes, That was my temporary solution, to disable it,

but I found it was created Again with the next update,

so I had to Rename it Again, and Again, and Again! :shock: :lol:

During all that time I Never discovered What it Did,

since all the utilities seemed to operate properly, without it being loaded.

It seemed that IObit wanted to keep it a Secret, as to what it did,

but maybe no one at IObit ever noticed my questions about it?

(Since, at that time IObit-support did Not visit this website as much as now)

During all that time I Never discovered What it Did,

since all the utilities seemed to operate properly, without it being loaded.

It seemed that IObit wanted to keep it a Secret, as to what it did,

but maybe no one at IObit ever noticed my questions about it?

(Since, at that time IObit-support did Not visit this website as much as now)

Hi Toppack

We are not alone in the world.

If you take a google search on: How to disable ascservice.exe

it will topple forward with tons of links.

The only thing I can't immediately find an answer to is, what the file do - and why.

But it seems that many users will uninstall it if possible.

I'm sorry that the correct explanation and description of the file not yet are comming from IObits developers.

So in the meantime you have to google a workable solution on other sites.

Should you find out anything do not hesitate to let me know.

Cheers

René

Hi ReneM,

Would you please kindly make a screenshot of the Processes window of Task Manager so that we can check it clearly?

Note: it's better to maximum the Processes window before you make the screenshot.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you in advance.

[ATTACH]10735[/ATTACH]

Hi Cicely

Thank you for your interest in my problem.

This morning I received again a warning from Norton on a very high resource consumption of ASCservice.exe.

I have attached different screen dumps that hopefully can help to clarify the problem.

Unfortunately, all is in Danish, but they can probably be deciphered anyway :-)

Cheers

René

[ATTACH]10777[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10778[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10779[/ATTACH]

All running processes cf. Norton:

[ATTACH]10780[/ATTACH]

And half an hour later:

[ATTACH]10781[/ATTACH]

Hi Rene

I use XP sp.3 and by me the ascservice use 980 Kb, and it apparently checks every 15 seconds for ?needed services?

Perhaps I do not have as many "needed services" as you do, according to your screenshot it used more than 6 MB by you as far as I remember.

Perhaps going through the services (services.msc) may lower that amount. Recommandation for configuration of services can be found at the BlackViper site.

I did notice that you did not have your Windows Time running?

You did have the Bonjour application running though.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Cicely

Thank you for your interest in my problem.

This morning I received again a warning from Norton on a very high resource consumption of ASCservice.exe.

I have attached different screen dumps that hopefully can help to clarify the problem.

Unfortunately, all is in Danish, but they can probably be deciphered anyway :-)

Cheers

René

[ATTACH]10777[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10778[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10779[/ATTACH]

All running processes cf. Norton:

[ATTACH]10780[/ATTACH]

And half an hour later:

[ATTACH]10781[/ATTACH]

hi ReneM,

I have forwarded this issue to our RD testing engineers. They are looking into it now.

I will update the post when there is result from them.

Hi Cicely

I'm very pleased and look forward to their response.

Cheers

René

Hi ReneM,

Please turn off the AutoClean and Active Optimize to see how it works.

You can set them in Quick Settings screen. Here is a screenshot for your reference.

Hi Cicely

Please take a look at #10.

Everything has been turned off all the time.

Cheers

René

[ATTACH]10794[/ATTACH]

Hi Rene

Disabling it is a bad idea.

It's function is as it says to provide service for the (intrinsicly) chosen elements in the program - fx. to report which StartUp programs you have running.

It probably also keeps an eye on the status of your definition file and your program version.

The reason people want to disable it is probably because they would like to be free from seeing a message about updating the program to a new (paid) version, is my guess.

If you experience real trouble my advice is to go through your settings and perhaps try another setting here and there - in difficult cases try a Clean Install (a real clean install that is!!).

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Toppack

We are not alone in the world.

If you take a google search on: How to disable ascservice.exe

it will topple forward with tons of links.

The only thing I can't immediately find an answer to is, what the file do - and why.

But it seems that many users will uninstall it if possible.

I'm sorry that the correct explanation and description of the file not yet are comming from IObits developers.

So in the meantime you have to google a workable solution on other sites.

Should you find out anything do not hesitate to let me know.

Cheers

René

I have now disabled start of ASCservice.exe until I can get an answer to what it actually does on my machine and why it during periods occupies 100% of my machine's resources.

I have a modern fast PC with the best processor, 16 GB RAM and SSD drives and has in this regard moved everything that writes to the SSD drive, including document and image folders, and of course all temp folders - also for Windows and browsers - to a traditional external hard drive.

I can't have a file as ASCservice.exe that during periods occupies 100% of my machine's resources and 1000 of times during a working day writes to my SSD drive.

I want (along with many other) to decide what to run on my machine and what and when it is writing to my SSD drive.

I wait in suspense response from IObit support.

Cheers

René

Archived