IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

What is ascservice.exe?

ReneM

Hi Rene

100% - but for how long?

As I said I use XP and I see only that it uses less than 1 Mb (0,7-0,9)

on my machine - for a single second it may use close to 100% of its performance capacity, but it generally use less than 2% often 0.

By disabling it you loose some of the functionality of the program I think.

As I said - it is servicing the inner workings of the program and I am not sure that you will get anyone to divulge that in detail.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Are you absolutely sure that it is only ascservice that use your resources?

As far as I remember the Bonjour application uses a lot of resources, I uninstalled it years ago after having tried it.

I have now disabled start of ASCservice.exe until I can get an answer to what it actually does on my machine and why it during periods occupies 100% of my machine's resources.

I have a modern fast PC with the best processor, 16 GB RAM and SSD drives and has in this regard moved everything that writes to the SSD drive, including document and image folders, and of course all temp folders - also for Windows and browsers - to a traditional external hard drive.

I can't have a file as ASCservice.exe that during periods occupies 100% of my machine's resources and 1000 of times during a working day writes to my SSD drive.

I want (along with many other) to decide what to run on my machine and what and when it is writing to my SSD drive.

I wait in suspense response from IObit support.

Cheers

René

By disabling it you loose some of the functionality of the program I think.

Hi Solbjerg

You think but do not really know.

I need facts :wink:

What ASCservice.exe do on other people's machines is for me subordinate.

How much ASCservice.exe is writing on other people's traditional hard drives, I'm also completely unconcerned.

How many resources it spends on other people machines is for me also subordinate.

I would be very happy if the thread will stick to the topic and issue and not start an information campaign on own computers and operating systems.

There are now 27 posts without any information about what ASCservice.exe perform on the computer.

It is thought-provoking, and I personally have not the necessary time resources to continue that way.

I have a great machine with a nice SSD drive and desires NOT a constant writing to this drive.

If there is to be written, I will choose what is allowed and where it is made.

As originally requested:

I am interested in knowing why ascservice.exe is running on my computer when I have asked to be free of any automatic runs and writing?

And I am of course interested to know what it actually does and why it takes up all the resources on the machine? Not in a split second but for a longer period.

In the meantime, ASCservice.exe is prevented from running on my machine.

Cicely is doing a survey and the results we await nicely.

Cheers

René

Sorry, NO more Information is Available, at this Time! :roll: :lol:

But if you ever Hack into the .exe file, be sure to let us Know what it Does ! :wink:

Note -my guess is that IObit "borrowed" it, as part of a Package-deal, and do not know exactly what it does either :lol:

(there's a lot of that "borrowing" that goes-on in the Programming-world.

I know because I have done it Myself.)

Very good. :smile:

In the meantime, ASCservice.exe is prevented from running on my machine.

Toppack is half correct, it is a native written service unique to Iobit and not copied.

There are many threads here that touch on this subject... for he/she that sees/heers.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Melvin

I think it should be fairly easy to check if at least some of the functions are affected by disabling the ascservice.exe

fx. if the automatic functions will work if ascservice doesn't keep tabs on the status for the automatic functions-

Likewise the report on the allowed startup programs.

And it should quickly become apparent if the .def files aren't updated

What other functions the ascservice has fx. does it generate reports on more things? This I do not know.

Does it fx. check if all the allowed startup programs have the latest drivers?

The report from Rene tells us that Norton reports a 100% use of performance resources - for extended periods he reported.

I know nothing about the inner workings of Norton and cannot test it while I use MSE.

Also I use XP and cannot know how others OS'es behave.

Perhaps some other user has the inclination to test it? :-)

Where was ascservice disabled? In the services.msc? Or was it just renamed in the program folder, Rene?

Cheers

solbjerg

Very good. :smile: Toppack is half correct, it is a native written service unique to Iobit and not copied.

There are many threads here that touch on this subject... for he/she that sees/hears.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Melvin

I think it should be fairly easy to check if at least some of the functions are affected by disabling the ascservice.exe

fx. if the automatic functions will work if ascservice doesn't keep tabs on the status for the automatic functions-

Likewise the report on the allowed startup programs.

And it should quickly become apparent if the .def files aren't updated

What other functions the ascservice has fx. does it generate reports on more things? This I do not know.

Does it fx. check if all the allowed startup programs have the latest drivers?

The report from Rene tells us that Norton reports a 100% use of performance resources - for extended periods he reported.

I know nothing about the inner workings of Norton and cannot test it while I use MSE.

Also I use XP and cannot know how others OS'es behave.

Perhaps some other user has the inclination to test it? :-)

Where was ascservice disabled? In the services.msc? Or was it just renamed in the program folder, Rene?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solbjerg!

With all automatic functions disabled and ASC(or any other Iobit software) commanded not to load at boot... the service is there with ASC not even running, nor ever having being commanded to run... even if you never launch the application itself.

I think that is what the original poster is asking and what my reply and Toppack's are pointed to. (I am running Vista SP2, Toppack is running 7 and 8.)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

(P.S. Bet you a dollar if you uninstallled everything to the best of your ability... you would still find it...) I have. I had to kill it too... but oops I have decided to try Ultimate again.:shock:

Hi Melvin

Yes I did read his posts.

My question was amongst others if the automatic function worked if the ascservice was disabled.

This requires some actual testing.

How much resources does the ascservice use by you for example, even if this does not interest the original poster.

I mean if you disable asc.exe I would not expect the program to work.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solbjerg!

With all automatic functions disabled and ASC(or any other Iobit software) commanded not to load at boot... the service is there with ASC not even running, nor ever having being commanded to run... even if you never launch the application itself.

I think that is what the original poster is asking and what my reply and Toppack's are pointed to. (I am running Vista SP2, Toppack is running 7 and 8.)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

(P.S. Bet you a dollar if you uninstallled everything to the best of your ability... you would still find it...) I have. I had to kill it too... but oops I have decided to try Ultimate again.:shock:

Hi Solbjerg!:smile:

In my case it uses an extremely small amount of resources (between 0 and 2%). In my case I had completely removed all Iobit softwares using REVO / advanced and it remained. When I disabled it, it would re-enable itself.:shock:

I manually killed and removed the process...

Considering the huge number of installs and uninstalls I've performed of Iobit softwares over time... my case may be unique and different from the original poster's. (perhaps due to an unremoved remnant?)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Melvin

Yes I did read his posts.

My question was amongst others if the automatic function worked if the ascservice was disabled.

This requires some actual testing.

How much resources does the ascservice use by you for example, even if this does not interest the original poster.

I mean if you disable asc.exe I would not expect the program to work.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Mel

Fine! Thank you!

Then I have another question :-)

If you disable ascservice in your services and then uninstall using Revo, is it then still to be found on your machine?

Have you tried the forced uninstall on it (hunter mode I think it is called)?

Are you using any automatic functions - if so please disable those too first. For testing purposes and my curiosity :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I just had the thought that the ascservice possibly could also hold an identifying cookie that enabled IObit to check if the license was valid for the computer used.

Hi Solbjerg!:smile:

In my case it uses an extremely small amount of resources (between 0 and 2%). In my case I had completely removed all Iobit softwares using REVO / advanced and it remained. When I disabled it, it would re-enable itself.:shock:

I manually killed and removed the process...

Considering the huge number of installs and uninstalls I've performed of Iobit softwares over time... my case may be unique and different from the original poster's. (perhaps due to an unremoved remnant?)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Mel

Fine! Thank you!

Then I have another question :-)

If you disable ascservice in your services and then uninstall using Revo, is it then still to be found on your machine?

Have you tried the forced uninstall on it (hunter mode I think it is called)?

Are you using any automatic functions - if so please disable those too first. For testing purposes and my curiosity :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I just had the thought that the ascservice possibly could also hold an identifying cookie that enabled IObit to check if the license was valid for the computer used.

Hi Solbjerg my attempted complete deletion of the asc service was after the service was disabled(as I said it will re-enable itself)... the Hunter mode allows you to uninstall in REVO by clicking on an Icon... it then hunts for the program... the removal parameters are the same I think. All automatic functions were disabled at the time (I always disable every automtic function in any software I use immediately).

That is an interesting suggestion but would not explain the repetitive behavior of the service... why would you need to repetitively check to see 2 mins. after you last checked? And why would you have this service remain when the application is closed? It would seem logical if this were the case that it would check once upun launch of the software... then go away.

I am so tired of examining this service! (after 8 mos. intermittent testing) Please let me know the results of your tests Solbjerg... please also make sure to look outside onto the open web for more information on this... there is much supposition, question, and even accusation.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Melvin

There are a couple of points regarding my testing the service

First I do not have any problem with it (and therefore do not want to rock the boat.) :-)

second I use XP and cannot test newer OS'es.

The thought I had was just one of the possible functions that ascservices may have.

It could be consistent with what my concept are concerning the meaning of the word service.

I am sorry but I have not noticed any previusly reported testing from you concerning ascservice.

I may not have been around at the time though :-)

In about a months time I will be away again for a month or so visiting family and children.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solbjerg my attempted complete deletion of the asc service was after the service was disabled(as I said it will re-enable itself)... the Hunter mode allows you to uninstall in REVO by clicking on an Icon... it then hunts for the program... the removal parameters are the same I think. All automatic functions were disabled at the time (I always disable every automtic function in any software I use immediately).

That is an interesting suggestion but would not explain the repetitive behavior of the service... why would you need to repetitively check to see 2 mins. after you last checked? And why would you have this service remain when the application is closed? It would seem logical if this were the case that it would check once upun launch of the software... then go away.

I am so tired of examining this service! (after 8 mos. intermittent testing) Please let me know the results of your tests Solbjerg... please also make sure to look outside onto the open web for more information on this... there is much supposition, question, and even accusation.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

It is a bit worying that Iobit are asking for screenshots of the Taskmanager and saying they need them to investigate. One would expect that Iobit should be able to say exactly what the function of ASCservice is, without any input from users.

It makes me wonder if it even is an Iobit program,,,,maybe it is a third party piggybacking.

Dang it... you are wise Solbjerg!

Hi all!

The tests I performed were driven out of a personal curiosity concerning the service... thus not posted here.:-) I also have no issues concerning this... but was curious (reflecting on threads here and elsewhere) . So I decided to test on a personal basis. (casual personal tests over the last six months.. the last of which was a month ago).

To jc836... Thank you for posting... and thanks for that. Yes that was early in my testing... and was a part of each step... that was when I noticed the re-enabling.:smile:

I was then curious as to why the service would apparently re-enable itself... I checked my security and everything else I could think of. As it was isolated to my systems it was contained within my softwares. As the parent source of the service was an Iobit software... I removed them one by one, rebooting and checking for the service each time, and disabling it again (it then reenabled). Then I found that I had no more Iobit softwares to remove. They were gone... (re-boot and clean everything) ... the service remained. Then I killed it... thus the post earlier on killing it. That is how I came to my posts on this. (I never opened a thread on this, nor posted results on my personal testing)... it was and still is a curiousity. As I also

therefore do not want to rock the boat
I did this on a personal level.

I have learned some important things.

Pertinent to this thread and other threads on this forum:

I believe that Iobit products share a service (in order to keep every Iobit product from creating its own service).

I believe that this is pertaining to the update function.

I have seen no evidence of large quantities of information leaving my machine.

As certain Iobit products do NOT give you the chance to opt out of update (SmartDefrag) or completely cut-off updates: ASC6, ASC w/ A/V, and ASC Ultimate (heck... Ultimate won't even give you the option to Exit the application in your task bar).

Hypothesis: Iobit applications share this service. (it doesn't matter if you are running XP or Win 8, or anything between).

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

• 1 month later...
Hi ReneM,

Would you please kindly make a screenshot of the Processes window of Task Manager so that we can check it clearly?

Note: it's better to maximum the Processes window before you make the screenshot.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Cicely

Happy new year.

It's been 2 months since you demanded and got the desired screenshoots.

I think I have been very patient, but of course there is also a limit and it is about to be reached now :-(

Is there a reason for an answer to take so long?

The question was very specific and required no further documentation to be answered.

I have to agree with Scannan in # 38 there, just as I, do not understand the requirement for extensive documentation on the simple question which is obviously very secret.

Please let us be informed about what ascservice.exe make on our computers?

Do we have the answer now.

Once again thank you in advance.

Cheers

René

Hi ReneM,

Sorry for the delay. :oops:

ASCService.exe’s functions as below:

1. Active Optimize

2. Clean your computer when the system is idle.

3. Check if ASC is the latest version.

4. Updating ASC.

Please kindly follow the instructions below to find ASCService_Log.txt:

1. Right click ASC icon on the desktop.

2. Select “Open File Location”

3. Find ASCService_Log and send it to us so that we can check your issue clearly.

Your kindly understanding will be highly appreciated.

Hi Cicely

Thanks for the reply.

As mentioned earlier, I have the ascservice.exe disabled in services, as the procession used disproportionate amount of resources (up to 100%) and constantly wrote to my lovely SSD drive, which I in no way can accept.

If a program constantly needs to write, I will be able to decide where it should be done. Is this not possible, the program is either disabled or deleted from my computer. Of course.

However, I have saved a log file from the past, which I have attached. I could not upload the small text file because it exceeded the allowable size of 50 KB, so it is uploaded zipped.

Unfortunately I get no email notification of new posts in the thread anymore. Is this a general problem or is it only me who experience the problem.

Cheers

René

Hi ReneM.

If you are having more than 1-2% usage from the Iobit service then there is most likely an install issue. What build pf ASC6 are you using and how long have you been using iobit products...

Have you done multiple "over the top" upgrades of ASC? Are you running multiple Iobit products such as SmartDefrag... etc.? If so, for how long? (You didn't say in your User CP about your Iobit softwares).

This very much sounds like a "compound" install issue that requires clean installation of all Iobit products... but the details must be entailed before this is determined:wink:.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi RenM,

Thanks for your kindly reply.

Please try the instructions below to help us check this issue:

1) Download the tool from the link below:

http://testdemo.iobit.com/0108/ASCService.exe

2) Right click on ASC’s icon on the desktop and select "Open File Location".

3) Rename ASCService.exe that already exited in the installation directory to ASCService.exe.rename, and then put the file you have downloaded before into the folder.

4) Reboot your computer.

Please send us the new ASCService_Log so that we can check it clearly.

Your kindly help will be highly appreciated.

Hi ReneM,

From the log you have attached, we find that your ASCService.exe works normal now.

Please kindly tell us if Norton still pops-up the warning about ASCService. If so, please send us a screenshot of the popup so that we can check it clearly.

Guide for taking screenshot:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Archived