IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Virus scanner Test Files / ASC Ultimate has blocked the download !

martino

Our Advanced SystemCare ULTIMATE has blocked the download !

How does it look with your virus protection?

Virus scanner Test Files

Testing virus scanner behavior in case of infection is quite simple. Download one of the files listed below and save it to a location of your choice. If your virus scanner is functioning properly it must generate a warning message upon saving the virus testfile. If you try this from within your company or organization, chances are that the corporate firewall or proxy server already removes or blocks the infected file before it reaches your PC. In this case your web browser will show an error message about not being able to download, but the local virus scanner will not show any virus warning.

Of course, these files don´t contain any malicious code, they simply contain a specific signature created by the EICAR organization (European Expert Group for IT Security) that was specifically designed to test the functional behavior or antivirus software.

http://ipinfo.info/html/testvirus.php

--> ASCU/IMF Team <--

Personally, I would never ever download any virus test file period. I prefer to use second opinion anti-malware software to verify if my main anti-malware is doing its job and if my system is malware free.

There are a number of problems with using virus test files. The main one is that don't tell you squat about the malware status of your computer. A person can download the virus test file and their main anti-malware program can block it. That doesn't mean that their computer does not have real world malware on it.

If their software fails to block the virus test file so what? It is only a test file and a person's computer may be 100% free of real world malware.

Virus test files are nice for those that write reveiews of anti-malware software because most people believe the test results from using test virus filles means something in the real world of surfing.

Personally I use avast! AIS 7, ASCU, SAS Pro, IMF Pro and WinPatrol Plus all-togehter along with security addons for Firefox. If one program misses malware that attempts to get on my computer one of the other anti-malware programs will almost always catch it. If they don't then I one my weekly on demand scans with Malwarebytes ESET and or Sophos Virus Removal tool just to name three of my on demand maware checking programs will catch it.

My three computers have remained malware free for months using the above method. Now I will admit the average user will run five real-time anti-malware programs at once and I don't recommend that average user try it.

What I do recommend rather than using virus test files is to

1. Apply all updates to your programs ASAP after they are released.

2. Use a secure browser

3. Use a combination like ASCU, IMF Pro and SAS Pro*** together since only one of the three is an anti-virus program so there should not be any conflicts.

4. Run regular scans using your real-time anti-malware programs. Fequency of running them should be no less than once a month for Full/Compete Scans and daily for quick scans.

5. Run one or more anti-malware programs that you do not have running in real-time once a week in the on-demand mode. There are a number of good ones out there.

***Others would recommend using Malwarebytes Pro. I can't comment on that since I have never used the Pro version of Malwarebytes.

Avoid using virus test files as the information they give you can be very misleading as to the secure nature of your computer in the real world.

IObit Europe Laboratory

Not to be confused with Malware.

PC Virus

A computer virus is a computer program that can replicate itself and spread from one computer to another. The term "virus" is also commonly, but erroneously, used to refer to other types of malware, including but not limited to adware and spyware programs that do not have a reproductive ability.

Malware

Malware, short for malicious (or malevolent) software, is software used or created to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. It can appear in the form of code, scripts, active content, and other software. 'Malware' is a general term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive software.

what is a EICAR

The EICAR Standard Anti-Virus Test File or EICAR test file is a computer file that was developed by the European Institute for Computer Antivirus Research (EICAR) and Computer Antivirus Research Organization (CARO), to test the response of computer antivirus (AV) programs. It allows programmers to test their software without having to use a real computer virus that could cause damage should the anti-virus protective program not respond correctly. EICAR promotes the use of a non-destructive simulation instead of an actual computer virus, for greater safety.

AV programmers set the EICAR string as a verified virus, similar to other identified signatures. A compliant virus scanner, when detecting the file, will respond in exactly the same manner as if it found genuinely harmful code. Its use can be more versatile than straightforward detection: a file containing the EICAR test string can be compressed or archived, and then the antivirus software can be run to see whether it can detect the test string in the compressed file.

should know a expert users

or you are afraid, that your virus protection has not passed the EICAR Test?

IObit Europe Laboratory

IObit ASC Ultimate Team

IObit IMF Team

IObit Europe Team

IObit Europe Laboratory recommendation

IObit Europe Laboratory recommendation:

Please use only 1 ASC for 1 PC!

Please use only one antivirus protection for 1 PC!

Antivirus protection + ASCU = 2 virus protection with real-time!

What is ASCU

Advanced SystemCare Ultimate = ASC V6 + virus protection (BitDefender) with real-time = Advanced SystemCare Ultimate !

cheers . . . !

--> IObit Europe Laboratory <--

--> IObit ASCU / IMF Team <--

--> IObit Europe Team <--

Not to be confused with Malware.

PC Virus

A computer virus is a computer program that can replicate itself and spread from one computer to another. The term "virus" is also commonly, but erroneously, used to refer to other types of malware, including but not limited to adware and spyware programs that do not have a reproductive ability.

Malware

Malware, short for malicious (or malevolent) software, is software used or created to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. It can appear in the form of code, scripts, active content, and other software. 'Malware' is a general term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive software.

what is a EICAR

The EICAR Standard Anti-Virus Test File or EICAR test file is a computer file that was developed by the European Institute for Computer Antivirus Research (EICAR) and Computer Antivirus Research Organization (CARO), to test the response of computer antivirus (AV) programs. It allows programmers to test their software without having to use a real computer virus that could cause damage should the anti-virus protective program not respond correctly. EICAR promotes the use of a non-destructive simulation instead of an actual computer virus, for greater safety.

AV programmers set the EICAR string as a verified virus, similar to other identified signatures. A compliant virus scanner, when detecting the file, will respond in exactly the same manner as if it found genuinely harmful code. Its use can be more versatile than straightforward detection: a file containing the EICAR test string can be compressed or archived, and then the antivirus software can be run to see whether it can detect the test string in the compressed file.

should know a expert users

or you are afraid, that your virus protection has not passed the EICAR Test?

IObit Europe Laboratory

IObit ASC Ultimate Team

IObit IMF Team

IObit Europe Team

A virus, Trojan or whatever is Malware at least according to Microsoft among others. Blackhole exploits lead a black month for malware You are confusing spyware with Malware. Malware encompasses all bad stuff from key loggers, to phishing, to Trojans, to Blackholes, to Adware, etc. Malware is the top level term for all the bad stuff.

Microsoft uses the term anti-malware for their W8 Defender program which inncludes anti-virus and anti-spyware capabilities.

I know who EICAR is. My position on users putting any credence in virus test finals still stands. I used to desgin and implement computer systems and setup and run IT departments. You can do all the testing you want and use all the test files you want. They can never ever duplicate what happens in the real world period.

Virus test files are a very good starting point for anti-malware developers and anti-malware reviewers but basically worthless in the real world.

IObit Europe Laboratory recommendation:

Please use only 1 ASC for 1 PC!

Please use only one antivirus protection for 1 PC! (unless you are an advanced user then please do take advantage of ASCU's compatiblity feature)

Antivirus protection + ASCU = 2 virus protection with real-time!

What is ASCU

Advanced SystemCare Ultimate = ASC V6 + virus protection (BitDefender) with real-time = Advanced SystemCare Ultimate !

cheers . . . !

--> IObit ASCU / IMF Team <--

The capability to run ASCU in the compatibility mode would not have been designed into ASCU for it just to be used in the test world. However, unless one is an advanced user I agree that they should limit themselves to running only one anti-virus program at a time.

I have never had a problem with ASC w AV 2013 or ASCU running in the compatiblity mode with avast! AIS 7. Never ever. In fact since I have been running the two together my computers have been 100% free from all Malware except Adware which SAS Pro does a nice job of cleaning up.

However, unless someone is an advanced Windows users I would recommend like you that people do not run two AV programs in real time together on the same computer.:-)

Not Acceptable

Hi martino

Please refrain from such personal comments. Buddahfan, is entitled to put his opinion forward just as you are, and indeed Buddahfan is trying to supply assistance to users as he always does. You may disagree which is your right, but other users may find the advice helpful.

Your comments are not in the spirit of the forum.

About forums

Hi

To me and indeed to most of us volunteers in this forum, the work we do is primarily from a wish to help users having problems to get their IObit programs to work as they want them to.

We also do it quite often even if it is just a question relating to how a computer works.

This in turn also benefits IObit in the form of hopefully more content customers and also by the possible discovery of program glitches that then can be fixed - making the program even better.

To my mind it is not the true experts that we need to assist, but rather the many that aren't too well versed in the computer requirements.

(Users are though expected to take an interest and try to understand what they need and are doing themselves too, we cannot explain everything from scratch every single time - even if we knew the answer - if we know the explanation it is probably already in one of the posts) :-)

This means to me that we must try not to use too much esoteric language and refrain from too much use of acronyms also I think.

A civil language is required at all times too.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. by the way martino I do not think that scientific is the right word for the definition of computer virus and -malware :-)

Hi Martino!

Please consider all the points made by Solbjerg and Scannan. Please also understand that your statement..

We not discuss with someone who has no notion of PC

You just stated that the member doesn't know what PC (Personal Computer) even means... think about that as this is a user help forum and Buddahfan has been helpful here. You invited responses to your post simply by posting!:shock: You have been rude.

Buddahfan is a very valuable member of this forum and is making very valid arguments and statements. I happen to agree with much content from buddahfan's posts.

Perhaps you might post on an individual level here to assist users, instead of making blanket statements? As a professional you certainly know that across the board with so many different hardware/software/connectivity configurations around the world... multiplied by the human aspect.. that blanket statements imply a personal agenda... what is yours?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. Please understand that I am very direct and speak my mind as plainly (without an agenda) as anybody you will ever find. It is not intended to be insultative (is that a word?) or personal... its just the way I am and my posts testify to this.:wink:

we respect . . .

we respect. . .

but just a few words:

after the definition of buddahfan are iobit malware fighter, spybot, malwarebytes and so on a virus protection.

wow, really cool.

we think that are not virus protection.

we think if you do advices in a forum and does not know the difference between virus and malware is very sad

have a good time ...

bye bye

Malware

Hi

Marmalade - the word comes from Greek and originally meant a mixture of honey and apples (not a concoction against seasickness as the francophile interpretation would have it) :-)

Malware means malicious software - but is also sometimes used about badly written programs that unintentionally cause havoc in the computers they are installed in.

Mal could also in Spanish mean bad

Badware/malware is a general term for what is bad for your computer and the expression was coined with this in mind.

Tracking cookies are not dangerous as such but can be used later on for malicious purposes therefore most people see them as a pest - they can evolve into data miners.

In malware infancy the focus was on viruses but after a while a lot of differentiation has occured

Today most anti-virus programs protects against many of these differentiations while the socalled malware programs are not fully fledged anti-virus programs but can offer a better protection against "pestware" - to coin a new expression :-)

Mainly I think because they have a larger list of undesirable elements (fx. tracking cookies) in them - the socalled .def files

•Viruses - spreads from computer to computer and are capable of self-replication. (like an influenza)

•Worms - utilizes system memory. Unlike a virus they cannot attach to other programs as they need to proliferate via a host.

•Trojans - a severe security threat; often used in conjunction with other malicious software. Like the story of the Trojan horse, these items appear harmless, until they are downloaded. Once resident on the system they automatically open in the background, install other items, and can open a backdoor for remote access and other security breaches.

•Rootkits - a severe risk to computer system security. They are considered the most sophisticated and most difficult to remove. To find out more, investigate Rootkit Information.

•Adware - display advertisements intrusively.

•Spyware - a general term used to describe malware. Typically it involves partial or full loss of control of computer functioning.

•Flooder / Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) - disables network connections; these items send massive amounts of data to disrupt or bring down a network or Internet connection.

•Keyloggers - records your personal data. (logs every keystroke performed in an unseen folder - extremely dangerous if your computer also is hijacked or open to remote handling)

•Browser hijacker - changes your web browser settings.

•Remote Administrator Tool (RAT) - takes control of and influences or controls your computer remotely.

•Dialers - makes automatic unauthorized calls via the phone modem.

•Data Miner / Trackware - tracks your Internet activity and can send this information remotely.

•Downloaders - breaches system security and makes attempts to download and install malware files on your computer.

This I think are the most common expressions for the different malware, but do not take it as a comprehensive list.

Cheers

solbjerg

Solbjerg:

Thanks for the definition list. Let me add one and then make a comment about another

BlackHole Exploit Kit

A type of crimeware Web application developed in Russia to help hackers take advantage of unpatched exploits in order to hack computers via malicious scripts planted on compromised websites. Unsuspecting users visiting these compromised sites would be redirected to a browser vulnerability-exploiting malware portal website in order to distribute banking Trojans or similar malware through the visiting computer.

Blackhole exploit kits are based on PHP and a MySQL backend and incorporate support for exploiting the most widely used and vulnerable security flaws in order to provide hackers with the highest probability of successful exploitation. The kits typically target versions of the Windows operating system and applications installed on Windows platforms.

Definition of PC - I will keep this short since I will never win the argument with anyone, however if you think about my comments they make sense, or at least I hope they do:lol:

PC = Personal Computer

Personal - relating to one person: relating to a specific person rather than anyone else

Computer - electronic data processor: an electronic device that accepts, processes, stores, and outputs data at high speeds according to programmed instructions

source: Bing Search

Based upon the above is not a so called smartphone more of a PC than a desktop computer which tends to be shared by more people on a regular basis than a smartphone?

Hi Buddahfan

:-) I have a notsosmartphone, but nevertheless plenty smart in comparison with the first telephones. I mean those before the digitalization. My complaint about my phone is mostly that my fingers are too big for the keys :-) It does have sms and and a number storage possibility- even an ability to take a picture which I never use - I use a camera (digital of course :-) ).

I like e-mail but today most young people use mobile phones or smartphones. I have to call my children on the phone, they almost never send me an e-mail. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Solbjerg:

Thanks for the definition list. Let me add one and then make a comment about another

BlackHole Exploit Kit

Definition of PC - I will keep this short since I will never win the argument with anyone, however if you think about my comments they make sense, or at least I hope they do:lol:

PC = Personal Computer

Personal - relating to one person: relating to a specific person rather than anyone else

Computer - electronic data processor: an electronic device that accepts, processes, stores, and outputs data at high speeds according to programmed instructions

source: Bing Search

Based upon the above is not a so called smartphone more of a PC than a desktop computer which tends to be shared by more people on a regular basis than a smartphone?

Unacceptable

we respect. . .

but just a few words:

after the definition of buddahfan are iobit malware fighter, spybot, malwarebytes and so on a virus protection.

wow, really cool.

we think that are not virus protection.

we think if you do advices in a forum and does not know the difference between virus and malware is very sad

have a good time ...

bye bye

martino

I will once again ask you to refrain from personalising your comments. If you disagree with buddahfan or any other user, then say so and offer your explanation/opinion. Sarcasm and inuendo is not within the spirit of the forum.

Buddahan and Solbjerg have given very comprehensive and detailed information, and users can make their own judgements and decisions.

I trust that you will take this request on board and this will be an end of the issue.

small PC test . . .

small PC test :

what is a Vaccination ?

what is a Brute-force attack ?

what is a Tunneling ?

what is a Armored virus ?

what is a Stealth virus ?

what is a Cavity virus ?

what is a Encrypted virus ?

what is a Bayesian filter ?

what is a Polymorphic virus ?

definition: Vaccination

Vaccination is a technique some anti-virus programs use to store information about files in order to notify the user about file changes. Internal vaccines store the information within the file itself, while external vaccines use another file to verify the original for possible changes.

definition: Brute-force attack

A brute-force attack is an attack in which each possible key or password is attempted until the correct one is found. Also see: attack.

definition: Tunneling

Tunneling is a virus technique designed to prevent anti-virus applications from working correctly. Anti-virus programs work by intercepting the operating system before it can execute a virus. Tunneling viruses try to intercept the actions before the anti-virus software can detect the malicious code. New anti-virus programs can recognize many viruses with tunneling behavior.

definition: Armored Virus

An armored virus tries to prevent analysts from examining its code. The virus may use various methods to make tracing, disassembling, and reverse engineering its code more difficult.

definition: Stealth virus

Stealth viruses attempt to conceal their presence from anti-virus software. Many stealth viruses intercept disk-access requests, so when an anti-virus application tries to read files or boot sectors to find the virus, the virus feeds the program a "clean" image of the requested item. Other viruses hide the actual size of an infected file and display the size of the file before infection.

Stealth viruses must be running to exhibit their stealth qualities. They are also called interrupt interceptors.

definition: Cavity virus

A cavity virus overwrites a part of its host file without increasing the length of the file while also preserving the host's functionality

definition: Encrypted virus

An encrypted virus's code begins with a decryption algorithm and continues with scrambled or encrypted code for the remainder of the virus. Each time it infects, it automatically encodes itself differently, so its code is never the same. Through this method, the virus tries to avoid detection by anti-virus software.

definition: Bayesian filter

A Bayesian filter is a program that uses Bayesian logic (also called Bayesian analysis) to evaluate the header and content of an incoming email message to determine the probability that it constitutes spam.

definition: Polymorphic virus

Polymorphic viruses create varied (though fully functional) copies of themselves as a way to avoid detection by anti-virus software. Some polymorphic virus use different encryption schemes and require different decryption routines. Thus, the same virus may look completely different on different systems or even within different files. Other polymorphic viruses vary instruction sequences and use false commands in the attempt to thwart anti-virus software. One of the most advanced polymorphic viruses uses a mutation engine and random-number generators to change the virus code and its decryption routine.

CHEERS . . .

--> IMF / ASCU Team <--

CHEERS . . .

Archived