IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Deleted Clones Files Created Bunch Of Problems

EarlPearl

I deleted bunch of cloned files one by one using the cloned files scanner without realizing you are not supposed to do that. It was unclear which files were needed and which weren't. Assuming that everything that is cloned is not needed I went on to delete everything but it was too much so I left it probably half way.

Now I can't open my microsoft suite documents and there are other problems with browsing. Is there anyway I could change and recover those cloned files. I don't have back u; system restore doesn't do anything I've tried.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi EarlPearl,

Our Cloned Files Finder only help you find those duplicated files. You should decide whether they are useless or unnecessary before you delete them.

For solving your concern, if you failed to get those files back after try a system restore, please try Undelete in Toolbox to see whether retrieve those deleted files.

Toolbox Download:

http://www.iobit.com/toolbox.html

Thanks for your understanding.

• 3 weeks later...

So - just what is the point of the cloned files finder, how are you supposed to read it and is there anything you can actually delete? I've just run it and found over 3,000 'cloned' files although by cloned it is not as if they are in the same place. By this I would think that perhaps they are needed in two places and that if you delete one or another then something would stop working.

It seems a bit dangerous including a tool that is offered in a package which will be obviously be installed by a number of users who have no idea whatsoever what it does and will no doubt run it, think that cloned files are purely duplicates and just delete the whole bunch.

Iobit could potentially cause a lot of problems for users if they don't include guidance on how to use this. Maybe it would be better to remove it from the package.

So - just what is the point of the cloned files finder, how are you supposed to read it and is there anything you can actually delete? I've just run it and found over 3,000 'cloned' files although by cloned it is not as if they are in the same place. By this I would think that perhaps they are needed in two places and that if you delete one or another then something would stop working.

It seems a bit dangerous including a tool that is offered in a package which will be obviously be installed by a number of users who have no idea whatsoever what it does and will no doubt run it, think that cloned files are purely duplicates and just delete the whole bunch.

Iobit could potentially cause a lot of problems for users if they don't include guidance on how to use this. Maybe it would be better to remove it from the package.

I Agree, I suppose it could be useful sometimes but

I've always Avoided running that utility, after finding out what it does. :shock:

Too SCARY for Me! :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

Cloned Files Nightmare

I deleted numerous cloned files without realizing it was dangerous. I now find that my computer will not work properly. I know I'm now missing the rundll32 file.

How can I retreive the cloned files, or if not possible, download the necessary rundll32 file? Is the only solution to re-install Windows XP Home? :?

Welcome

Welcome to the forum jbernstn :smile:

Have you tried a System Restore to go back to a time before you deleted the files ?

Instructions and screenshots are in the following link if you need them.

Go to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

In the section: How to use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state

Click on: Click here to view or hide step-by-step instructions with pictures

All the best, woz of oz

If it actually is missing from the system32 folder, you may be able to copy it from another XP computer,

onto a flash-drive, and then copy it to that one.

I've nerver tried that, with that file, so don't know for sure.

Here's some interesting Info about the rundll32 file that may be helpful:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-rundll32exe-and-why-is-it-running/

This website also explains why the duplicate may have been there.

(some Spyware uses that file name, in a different folder)

That utility does Not know which of the duplicates are Good or Bad though.

Copy the rundll32.exe file in to this folder:

C:\windows\system32\

I hope that will fix it.

Tried to download the attached file ( rundll32.rar file ). Received the following message:

< Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item >

Also, can't find any restore points on my computer.

It's starting to sound like you have a User Permissions problem?

Are you setup as Administrator on that computer?

Maybe the user setup data got deleted at the same time.

I think you are going to Have to restore from a backup, using 'Windows system Restore', like Wozofoz suggested

if possible.

:evil:Unfortunately nothing worked. I finally gave up and brought notebook to repair shop. They had to re-format my hard drive.

My advice is to never even open the cloned files tool. This tool should be removed from the program.

• 2 weeks later...

Cloned File Utility- Great Concept, Lousy app!

I have read with interest all the problems caused by this virtually useless application, but I do not see my particular issues addressed. :-(

Many of the problems noted here could be resolved easily with a simple configuration ability, to tell the app what files NOT to touch, what drives not to access, and letting the USER decide which of the clones to be saved and which to delete. However I have found nothing that permits these settings.:roll:

As a photographer and video production service, I have the tendency to create multiple folders for projects, and for ease of access, I duplicate the original files in these folders, most of which run form LARGE to HUGE in file size! When I got a warning that my 1TB backup drive was almost maxed, I figured it was time to do a cleanup. This is one of the reasons I purchased ASC 4.0 PRO, to get a 'professional' application that would help in this regard. However THIS is what I got when running the Cloned File Scanner utility.

29,783 occurrences of cloned files, from 2-7 copies of each. Some of them up to 4GB in size. When I ran it for the first time, I expected to get some sort of settings menu to tell the app what to do with these files. Instead, I get a result that shows where they are, and already has the delete boxes checked by default, for the files recommended to be deleted. In most cases they are wrong, saving files that should be deleted and deleting the backups! :x

I actually tried using the 'Select All' function, and hit the DELETE function, figuring I could then move the remaining files back where they belong. To my surprise, this function does absolutely nothing! It just sits there being stupid. If I manually select a single file, and change the check boxes to the correct locations, the app deletes the requested files (unless there are more than 3). This means I would have to do this, 29,782 more times. This will take, if my calculations are accurate, working 8 hours per day on nothing but deleting clones, it will take 31 days to cleanup my multiple files using this 'professional' application. IF... there are say, 5 occurrences, it deletes only 2 of them, leaving 3, with 2 still checked for deletion. Repeating the delete action, does nothing. :?:

If this application was meant only to FIND the clones (most of which I already know where they are, as I put them there), then why is there a select and delete function? (Even though the 'Select All' function is does nothing)?

Why are there no settings to tell it, "Do not scan Drive X". or "Do not include DLL files", "Keep files on Drive Y", etc. This is not Rocket Surgery! :-?

I am sure there are other utilities out there, probably FREE ones, that allow this simple procedure, I am just a bit miffed that the PRO application I purchased, largely for this function, does not! Hopefully I will find one, before having to invest 248 hours into deleting my 29,782 remaining cloned files.

I don't expect any answers here, just wanted to sound off on this little applet, one of the lesser thought out programs, like the 'system monitor', that despite scanning every day, always shows me as 'D' (largely because I refuse to use 'turbo boost', which disables all the functions I use a computer for in the first place!). It shows me as an 'A' (or worst case, without TB, a 'B') when I go to sleep, but I always wake up to a 'D'. This, with an app that is supposed to 'automatically' monitor and clean my system, to keep it in top running condition!

Then there is 'Smart Ram'... even with 4GB of RAM, I still get 'out of memory' errors with Adobe Photoshop... but these are yet other ASC issues. Don't even get me started.... :evil:

Hi Gypsy

In my experience there is no dependable "clone file cleaner" with ease of use.

If you find one please let us know! :-)

If you had downloaded the portable "Toolbox" you would have gotten the clone finder there for free.

Many people use the clone finder as an application to delete all the copies on their computer, this is in my opinion not what it should be used for - and it is dangerous - I only use it to find possible extra copies that I don't need anymore.

In your case - given that you know where you have them - you could just delete them yourself without using a clone finder to find them. :-)

On your other point I will only say that I almost always get straght A's :-)

I never use Turbo Boost either :-) I don't run games, and have already configured my services to what I need!!

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. You can select which extensions to scan and you can add all the libraries you want into the fail/safe option and finally you can select to scan one folder at the time.

I have read with interest all the problems caused by this virtually useless application, but I do not see my particular issues addressed.

Many of the problems noted here could be resolved easily with a simple configuration ability, to tell the app what files NOT to touch, what drives not to access, and letting the USER decide which of the clones to be saved and which to delete. However I have found nothing that permits these settings.

As a photographer and video production service, I have the tendency to create multiple folders for projects, and for ease of access, I duplicate the original files in these folders, most of which run form LARGE to HUGE in file size! When I got a warning that my 1TB backup drive was almost maxed, I figured it was time to do a cleanup. This is one of the reasons I purchased ASC 4.0 PRO, to get a 'professional' application that would help in this regard. However THIS is what I got when running the Cloned File Scanner utility.

29,783 occurrences of cloned files, from 2-7 copies of each. Some of them up to 4GB in size. When I ran it for the first time, I expected to get some sort of settings menu to tell the app what to do with these files. Instead, I get a result that shows where they are, and already has the delete boxes checked by default, for the files recommended to be deleted. In most cases they are wrong, saving files that should be deleted and deleting the backups!

I actually tried using the 'Select All' function, and hit the DELETE function, figuring I could then move the remaining files back where they belong. To my surprise, this function does absolutely nothing! It just sits there being stupid. If I manually select a single file, and change the check boxes to the correct locations, the app deletes the requested files (unless there are more than 3). This means I would have to do this, 29,782 more times. This will take, if my calculations are accurate, working 8 hours per day on nothing but deleting clones, it will take 31 days to cleanup my multiple files using this 'professional' application. IF... there are say, 5 occurrences, it deletes only 2 of them, leaving 3, with 2 still checked for deletion. Repeating the delete action, does nothing.

If this application was meant only to FIND the clones (most of which I already know where they are, as I put them there), then why is there a select and delete function? (Even though the 'Select All' function is does nothing)?

Why are there no settings to tell it, "Do not scan Drive X". or "Do not include DLL files", "Keep files on Drive Y", etc. This is not Rocket Surgery!

I am sure there are other utilities out there, probably FREE ones, that allow this simple procedure, I am just a bit miffed that the PRO application I purchased, largely for this function, does not! Hopefully I will find one, before having to invest 248 hours into deleting my 29,782 remaining cloned files.

I don't expect any answers here, just wanted to sound off on this little applet, one of the lesser thought out programs, like the 'system monitor', that despite scanning every day, always shows me as 'D' (largely because I refuse to use 'turbo boost', which disables all the functions I use a computer for in the first place!). It shows me as an 'A' (or worst case, without TB, a 'B') when I go to sleep, but I always wake up to a 'D'. This, with an app that is supposed to 'automatically' monitor and clean my system, to keep it in top running condition!

Then there is 'Smart Ram'... even with 4GB of RAM, I still get 'out of memory' errors with Adobe Photoshop... but these are yet other ASC issues. Don't even get me started.... :evil:

I think adding a simple Flashing 'Warning' Message would prevent a lot of user problems.

For users that don't take the time to find out what they are really doing.

Not all the utilities, in ASC and Toolbox, Need a better Warning message but some Really Do.

Hi Toppack

Actually they have made it safer than it was at first

But for users to really take advantage of that they do have to read about the settings and the fail/safe function and the choosing of folder to scan for duplicates that I mentioned previously.

Some adventurous spirits even ignore warnings and don't read anything.

I still remember a friend of mine who virtually emptied his computer of everything but the startup screen despite all the warnings he must have gotten. If I remember correctly he had only 48 kb left and could only open his StartUp screen - I formatted the computer and installed the Windows 98 again :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I think adding a simple Flashing 'Warning' Message would prevent a lot of user problems.

For users that don't take the time to find out what they are really doing.

Not all the utilities, in ASD and Toolbox, Need a better Warning message but some Really Do.

• 1 month later...
I deleted numerous cloned files without realizing it was dangerous. I now find that my computer will not work properly. I know I'm now missing the rundll32 file.

How can I retreive the cloned files, or if not possible, download the necessary rundll32 file? Is the only solution to re-install Windows XP Home? :?

No no no...at the end of the scan it will, by default, leave the original UNCHECKED and the clones checked. U have to highlight each line 1 at a time and check delete. If u select "select all" u will lose EVERYTHING, haha, including the original ;-) which u do not want to do. Time consuming, yes, but if u look in the 'files quantity' u can see the most clones by number and knock them off first.

I deleted bunch of cloned files one by one using the cloned files scanner without realizing you are not supposed to do that. It was unclear which files were needed and which weren't. Assuming that everything that is cloned is not needed I went on to delete everything but it was too much so I left it probably half way.

Now I can't open my microsoft suite documents and there are other problems with browsing. Is there anyway I could change and recover those cloned files. I don't have back u; system restore doesn't do anything I've tried.

PS. u MUST check the box 'use safe mode' and it will leave yr system files alone. Better safe than sorry ey? :mrgreen:

• 2 months later...

Cloned Files Scanner Annoyance(s)

No no no...at the end of the scan it will, by default, leave the original UNCHECKED and the clones checked. U have to highlight each line 1 at a time and check delete. If u select "select all" u will lose EVERYTHING, haha, including the original ;-) which u do not want to do. Time consuming, yes, but if u look in the 'files quantity' u can see the most clones by number and knock them off first.

I've had similar fun... Found that I had a number of video and music files that were duplicated, went ahead and deleted the duplicate files...come to find out that it deleted the file from my computer entirely...even with just ONE box checked... <IE:?:Documents and Settings\<user>\Vidoes (as well as documents, and music at the very least> ) and ?:\Users\<user>\Videos (\music \documents are linked/ THE SAME folders (somehow)... Deleting from 1 deletes the file from "BOTH" places... So this isn't actually a DUPLICATED file... I just managed to loose a TON of videos, a few adobe PDF files, and likely some music... Upon using the UNDELETE tool, I got at least some of it back, but the vast majority of it is gone! the undelete program didn't find/restore them. :-x :-( :!: :evil:

Cloned Files

I've had much the same thing. ASC showed 45000+ Cloned files, which seemed ridiculous. In my ignorance, and without any guidance about what the files were, I assumed them to be uneccessary and started to delete. Like EarlPearl was taking so long and abandoned. However, the action has deleted so many of my files and some in Registry. Recovery made things worse.

Laptop now being repaired professionaly and will involve clean reinstal of Windows 7, Office, Outlook etc, etc. Will not reinstall ASC!!

Archived