IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

VPN connection won't work after Deep Care

moggyman

I run Pro 5 on XP and have a VPN connection to my office so I can work from home. If I run a Quick Care all is well. If I run a Deep Care it changes something so that my VPN utility will make a connection to my office but I then can't use Windows Remote Connection to connect to any PC there.

It did this when I first upgraded to v5 and found that there was a setting in Turbo Boost which disabled viewing other PCs so I turned this off and disabled Turbo Boost and Active Boost as well just in case. It appeared to work for a while but now it's doing it again!

Does anyone have any idea what is being changed or how I can troubleshoot this? With Turbo/Active Boosts out of bounds and Deep Care causing problems I might as well revert to the free copy or find something else.

Thanks in advance.

Hi moggyman,

We are sorry to hear that you encounter troubles with Advanced SystemCare, :-( please kindly help us look into it.

1) Please use the rescue function of ASC and let us know whether it is OK.

Open ASC 5>> click the button "Rescue" >>choose one restore point (note: please set restore point to the time before the problem occurred)>>click "undo"button

2) Please send the Log folder and Backup folder to us so that we can further look into the problem.

Usual path: %appdata%\IObit\Advanced SystemCare v5

Hi

I tried it out again to make sure it is consistent and it does appear to be. I can reproduce it by doing -

1. Deep Care

2. Reboot - problem appears.

3. Do a rescue to replace registry changes

4. Reboot - problem gone

The Backup directory on the path you gave me is empty and there is no directory called Log. I've attached a directory listing for you as a txt file - if you can tell me the exact folders/files you require I'll be happy to attach them for you.

Thanks

Filelist.txt

Hi moggyman,

Thanks for your feedback.

It seems that you go to the installation folder to find the Log folder and Backup folder, please find and send us the Log folder and Backup folder under the %appdata%\IObit\Advanced SystemCare v5.;-)

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the tip.

My Ignore List is currently empty and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to put things in there? Do I have to do a scan, break it again and maybe a list of apps will appear in the blank Ignore List page? Or is there a way to select apps to ignore?

Thanks

Hi Moggyman!

Under the Deep Care function, choose the option Scan Only, not Scan and Repair. Once the scan is complete view the detected items. For any item you wish to place in the ignore list, right click it and choose to ignore it. The item will then disappear from the scan results. When you then view the ignore list you will find that it has been placed there!

Hope this helps!!:-)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. Under the risk category, High risk means there is a high probability that repairing the item will damage your system! If you do not know exactly what a high risk item is and whether it should be fixed... I highly recommend you uncheck it at the very least!! Many users have had many various problems by blindly fixing the high risk items!:sad:

Hi moggyman,

Please follow the steps below to solve this issue.

1) Please confirm that the VPN connection work normally.

2) Please only tick the item "System Optimization" and let it scan.

3) Please click on the button "Show details" after the scan. (Please see the attached picture see details.jpg)

4) Please find the item about mnmsrvc, then right click it and seletct "Ignore this problem". (Please see the attached picture ignore this item.jpg)

Lastly, please let us know the result.:wink:

I followed your instructions and added that entry to the Ignore list. I then did a Deep Care followed by a reboot. The problem didn't go away. The VPN software would connect OK but I couldn't remote in to any PC.

I did a Rescue, rebooted and the VPN connection worked again.

Do you have any other suggestions? Does the Rescue operation only restore Registry settings? If so then I guess the problem lies in what ASC is doing to my Registry? Any clues from the files I sent you earlier?

Thanks

Which utilities are you running, in ASC, that is causing the problem?

(ASC is a collection of Many different utility programs)

You need to first determine which one is causing the problem.

Disable the ones you think may be related and only run the others or only run one at a time.

Isolate the cause in that way and then disable settings in that utility to narrow it down even more.

I know very little about VPN but it's my understanding that there are several different types, that Log-In differently?

The Log-In data may be stored in the Registry but it may be in a simple .ini file also.

So, you will need an expert on your version, to know for certain where is is located.

Hi moggyman,

Sorry for the inconvenience, we are still on the way to the right answer.:sad:

We suspect that it is caused by the "System Optimization" or the "Deep Registry Fix", please follow the steps below to help us confirm it.

1) Please confirm that the VPN connection work normally.

2) Please only tick the item "System Optimization" and let it scan and repair, then to see whether the VPN connection work normally or not and let us know the result.

3) If it works normally, please only tick "Deep Registry Fix" and let it scan and repair, then to see it works or not and let us know the result.

Thanks in advance! Your help will is very valuable!:smile:

Hi moggyman,

Thanks for your help!:wink:

Our engineers have developed a small tool to help us look into this issue, please kindly help us.

1) Please download SystemOptimization(test).zip and extract it to get SystemOptimization(test).exe.

2) Please put the SystemOptimization(test).exe under the installation folder of Advanced SystemCare.

Usual path: C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 5 or C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 5

3) Please double click the SystemOptimization(test).exe to start and click the button "Scan".

4) After the scan is over, please maximize the window , then take a screen shot and send it to us so that we can see all the scanned items.

Thanks in advance! We really hope we can solve this issue together!:wink:

SystemOptimization(test).zip

Hi moggyman,

Thanks for the information, we have looked through all the scanned items, and we think that Network DDE, Network DDE DSDM or Network Logon most likely cuase this issue.8-)

Could you please ignore one of the three items at a time, then run the "System Optimization" to see whether the VPN connection work normally so that we can confirm which item cause the issue.:wink:

We firmly believe that we can solve this issue with your support.:-D

Seems we were both wrong.

I tried each of your suggestions in turn with reboots and a restore of a working registry between each and the problem still occurred. The only option was to try each value in turn and if it failed again another reboot and a restore before trying the next value.

After nearly 3 fun hours :cry: of test-reboot-fail-restore-reboot-test I found that the problem went away when the PolicyAgent value was excluded from the repair.

After discovering this I re-tested to make sure by restoring a valid registry, putting the PolicyAgent on the Ignore list and doing a complete Deep Scan as I normally would. After another reboot to fix some disk errors the VPN connection and Remote Desktop were still working.

I'd be interested to know why this value breaks Remote Desktop.

Hi moggyman

Great job!!!

Very intelligent approach to the problem!!

Could you please tell me if any of your network services are deactivated now?

services.msc in Run

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. do you use any proxy connections?

Seems we were both wrong.

I tried each of your suggestions in turn with reboots and a restore of a working registry between each and the problem still occurred. The only option was to try each value in turn and if it failed again another reboot and a restore before trying the next value.

After nearly 3 fun hours :cry: of test-reboot-fail-restore-reboot-test I found that the problem went away when the PolicyAgent value was excluded from the repair.

After discovering this I re-tested to make sure by restoring a valid registry, putting the PolicyAgent on the Ignore list and doing a complete Deep Scan as I normally would. After another reboot to fix some disk errors the VPN connection and Remote Desktop were still working.

....After discovering this I re-tested to make sure by restoring a valid registry, putting the PolicyAgent on the Ignore list and doing a complete Deep Scan as I normally would. After another reboot to fix some disk errors the VPN connection and Remote Desktop were still working.

Over at the BlackViper XP page this is the explanation for IPSEC Services - PolicyAgent

Windows XP

Default Description

Manages IP security policy and starts the ISAKMP/Oakley (IKE) and the IP security driver.

Additional Information

May be required on some domains or VPN connections. After the installation of Service Pack 2 or 3, some processes and applications may take advantage of this service, however, I have not found any.

Edit:

I am interested to know which option you chose for Computer Optimization was it Office Work or Server option?

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9283&stc=1&d=1326253816

All the best, woz of oz

wozofoz - thanks for the info. My settings are the same as your screenshot except that my Network Optimisation is set to Basic.

solbjerg: Is there anything in particular I should look for? I can't see anything unusual. The only odd thing was that the IPSEC service status was Unknown as was another to do with NetMeeting. I'll check these again after the next Deep Care.

As for Proxy's I don't think so - I've forgotten where to look to check!! It's been a long night........

Thanks all

Archived