IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

smart scan system freeze [SOLVED by latest build (v1.5.0.2)]

recently upgraded to latest pro version on a Xp3 machine,had it set to default idle system smart scan,this new version freezes while scanning the vista codec pack(which the previous version never did, and routinely and completed the scan without a hitch)and hangs the whole system as well,i cannot even bring up the task-mgr to end the task or process.i have to hit the power restart button to reboot the machine to unfreeze it,other than that it seems to work normally,is this a bug?and how would i exclude the codec pack from any future scans(since i know it's clean)?

Hi mimon

I am assuming that we are talking about IMF 1.4?

What are your settings, please? All of them please.

How long did you wait for the program to react when you percieved it as hanging? More than 5 minutes?

How big is the codec pack - do you possibly exclude large files from the scan in your settings? Do you use the recommeded scan type?

Cheers

solbjerg

recently upgraded to latest pro version on a Xp3 machine,had it set to default idle system smart scan,this new version freezes while scanning the vista codec pack(which the previous version never did, and routinely and completed the scan without a hitch)and hangs the whole system as well,i cannot even bring up the task-mgr to end the task or process.i have to hit the power restart button to reboot the machine to unfreeze it,other than that it seems to work normally,is this a bug?and how would i exclude the codec pack from any future scans(since i know it's clean)?

1. yes it is IMF1.4

all settings on program defaults,as i always have had them.

2. like i mentioned,this happens during an "idle' syst.scan,during which time i do not get back on the system for as long as 1/2 to an hour,and at times even longer,even though the scan timer is still running.

3. the vista codec pack size is 50.5MB's.

4. no ,the "skip system files larger than 10MB's" is unchecked by default,so that is how I've always kept it,always using the recommended scan type(which is the smart scan on my set-up)

but i will "check on" the "skip system files larger than 10MB's" file size settings to see if that makes any difference.

also,thanks for your prompt & quick response.

M.M.

M. M.

I hope you will not be Angry but I 'Hate' your Sick Avatar picture. :roll::-?

yeah it is a sick looking illustration at that,but if you were my age you would remember that as the cover from King Crimsons classic debut album(circa 1968)"The Court of The Crimson King",,,disturbing cover art,but the music is great.

[EDIT] By Melvin_deal: I remember "The court of the crimson king" I was born in '66 and listened to that album in '83. "Elephant talk" is my favorite by King Crimson from their late 70's album.... hope you don't mind me posting an edit on your thread. Sincerely, -Mel, Live long and prosper!

,but if you were my age you would remember that as the cover from King Crimsons classic debut album(circa 1968)"The Court of The Crimson King",,,disturbing cover art,but the music is great.

Yeah, I'm still just a Young Kid. :shock:

I'll only be 69 next month. ;-) :lol:

I certainly Don't remember that album though. :oops:

In fact I don't remember Any music, from the late '60s, that I Really liked. :?: :lol:

well I'll defer to you as my learned elder,lets just say that i was old enough to burn my draft card at the time(not that i would do something like that,as a proud American),and as a tribute to you my "older" friend i have changed my avatar.

and a happy soon to be 69'th to you as well!

Hi mimon

My settings:

General settings: Minimize to tray when program closes/Run at Windows Upstart both ticked by me.

Settings: Scan executable files/ Scan compressed files ticked by me.

Auto scan: Run computer scan when system is idle - ticked. Smart scan chosen by me.

Protection: Recommended level (NOT high level). DOG activated by me.

All the forms of protection chosen by me.

Auto update: Update program and database automatically by me.

Info: All settings chosen except - show info when the program is minimized to system tray - by me.

User Interface: Transparency at zero by me, Language Danish

Have you tried a Clean Install in the event that some leftover is making trouble?

Cheers

solbjerg

1. yes it is IMF1.4

all settings on program defaults,as i always have had them.

2. like i mentioned,this happens during an "idle' syst.scan,during which time i do not get back on the system for as long as 1/2 to an hour,and at times even longer,even though the scan timer is still running.

3. the vista codec pack size is 50.5MB's.

4. no ,the "skip system files larger than 10MB's" is unchecked by default,so that is how I've always kept it,always using the recommended scan type(which is the smart scan on my set-up)

but i will "check on" the "skip system files larger than 10MB's" file size settings to see if that makes any difference.

also,thanks for your prompt & quick response.

M.M.

all of the settings are identical to yours,except for the interface and language.

i always upgrade after a complete un-installation of the older program first,including using CCleaner to remove the leftover reg entries,then a restart,then a reinstall.

when i ran a right click scan on the "C//program files/vista codecs" folder,it froze the system again at the exact same spot during the scan,and the scan hangs on that entry while the timer is still running(a Dll file entry)in the folder.the 007 codec pack is the same version installed when i used the IMF1.3,with no conflict.

Hi mimon

Curious - hopefully some IObit expert can help you

During your clean install did you then also check the relevant IObit folder(s) in Documents&Settings/Application data/IObit ?

Do you have the latest Windows root certificates - is your 007 codec pack updated and allowed? How large is it? Have you tried a clean install of that program?

How much free space do you have and how large is the relevant drive?

If it is a free space problem (contiguous space) you could try to get some more space by lowering the amount used for Windows system restore points, by default it is set to 12% of the disc/drive and 5% should be ample I think - of course depending on the capacity of the drive.

At least 15% of the drive ought to be free space.

Cheers

solbjerg

all of the settings are identical to yours,except for the interface and language.

i always upgrade after a complete un-installation of the older program first,including using CCleaner to remove the leftover reg entries,then a restart,then a reinstall.

when i ran a right click scan on the "C//program files/vista codecs" folder,it froze the system again at the exact same spot during the scan,and the scan hangs on that entry while the timer is still running(a Dll file entry)in the folder.the 007 codec pack is the same version installed when i used the IMF1.3,with no conflict.

the last straw

After another clean re-install of IMF,i have UN-installed the 007 vista codec pack,and reran another smart scan,this time IMF hung and froze the system again on the realtek audio card codecs,so I've come to the conclusion that this may be a 1.4 program bug that manifest itself on windows Xp3-PRO.

I have since completely removed IMF from the machine and reinstalled windows defender again...I will wait for another new version of IMF before I'll consider installing it again,i hope it will not be too long before it is released,since i have about ten more months left on my IMF-PRO subscription.incidentally ,i have about 52%free space remaining on the 250GB hard-drive

thanks for your time,

MM

• 1 month later...

Weird.

I'm now having this pretty much exact same problem using XP Pro, SP3 and IMF 1.4.0.22, except the IMF window says the file being scanned at the time of the hang is Silverlight.ConfigurationUI.dll.

Another difference is that I can go to the Silverlight.ConfigurationUI.dll file in it's folder, right click it and Scan with Malware Fighter there, from the context menu, and IMF will finish the scan and report no problems with the file.

It is happening to me on Smart Scans and it is always the 824th file scanned. At what number of files scanned does your IMF hang on, mimon?

The other things are the same. e.g. The IMF clock keeps ticking -- I've let it go for over 30 minutes. The whole system locks up. Nothing will open, though IMF does appear to minimize to taskbar if I click the "X" button for closing software. Even Task Manager won't open. Have to do a power button off/on reset to get going again. etc.

The scan logs look weird.

Since it has been over a month since the last message in this thread, may I ask what is going on with this issue?

Thx!

Tim

well I'll defer to you as my learned elder,lets just say that i was old enough to burn my draft card at the time(not that i would do something like that,as a proud American),and as a tribute to you my "older" friend i have changed my avatar.

and a happy soon to be 69'th to you as well!

Hey mimon, I'm 63. Is this bug only happening to old people?

If you don't know what this is

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii313/Utopia2115/z8z8.jpg

then ya' ain't old.

If you do know what it is, keep it hush- hush... under your hat. We don't want those whippersnappers knowing our secrets.

[grin]

Tim

I'm what is called an Old Whippersnapper! :lol:

So I can make a guess.

It is a plastic piece that snaps into center of 45.RPM phonograph Records,

so they will play on the older 78.RPM style Record-players (with small center post and multiple speeds).

It is a plastic piece that snaps into center of 45.RPM phonograph Records,

so they will play on the older 78.RPM style Record-players (with small center post and multiple speeds).

Just tried to explain it to my 35-year-old son. The harder part is explaining that a 45 is small, a 33-1/3 is big, and a 78 is in between those two.

But hey, we got it good today. What I love is the DVD movie disks. They rewind ssssooooooo much faster than the old VCR tapes!!!

:razz:

Tim

Hi Toppack

Was it called "a center hole adapter"? I do not remember the name in Danish.

Cheers

solbjerg

Yep, as soon as I Learn how use a device,

they develop something to replace it! :shock:

Which they keep telling me, is a Good thing. :wink:

:lol:

Weird.

I'm now having this pretty much exact same problem using XP Pro, SP3 and IMF 1.4.0.22, except the IMF window says the file being scanned at the time of the hang is Silverlight.ConfigurationUI.dll.

Another difference is that I can go to the Silverlight.ConfigurationUI.dll file in it's folder, right click it and Scan with Malware Fighter there, from the context menu, and IMF will finish the scan and report no problems with the file.

It is happening to me on Smart Scans and it is always the 824th file scanned. At what number of files scanned does your IMF hang on, mimon?

The other things are the same. e.g. The IMF clock keeps ticking -- I've let it go for over 30 minutes. The whole system locks up. Nothing will open, though IMF does appear to minimize to taskbar if I click the "X" button for closing software. Even Task Manager won't open. Have to do a power button off/on reset to get going again. etc.

The scan logs look weird.

Since it has been over a month since the last message in this thread, may I ask what is going on with this issue?

Thx!

Tim

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii313/Utopia2115/Smillies/hijacked.gif

I don't want that to get lost in the thread hijack... even if the hijack was mostly my fault.

Archived