IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Suggestions for Smart Defrag v4

Cicely

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, It would be great a SD4 with more development in the VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service) algorithms for preventing the deleting of restore points, as Auslogics Disk Defrag, Diskeeper and Perfectdisk do it. SD3 eliminates the restore points, for example using Prioritize mode. Thanks.

Hi FAM10,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will report it to our product team for consideration.

For the issue Smart Defrag 3 deleted your restore points , we will do a test to check it.

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to tell us.

Thanks for choosing IObit to care your PC.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi markjustin,

Thanks for your suggestion. We will continue to make improvements.

But for the suggestions about System Update, could you please give us more details so that we can improve?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

• 4 weeks later...

1. I must most strongly endorse the recommendation that SD v4 should "consolidate" free space. This is also referred to as "defragmenting" free space. Just as defragmenting files has benefits on performance for file reads (and modifications, so long as the length of the file need not be extended, at least), defragmenting free space benefits performance of writing new files, and has the benefit of, at least potentially, decreasing fragmentation of new files. This is a feature I remember having available, even in free disk defragmentation programs, decades ago!
  2. SD needs to provide better feedback on why it does not defragment files. We know that defragmentation of a file may be "skipped" because its percentage of fragmentation is below the user's chosen threshold (though, personally, I always choose "Always Defrag" for the "Defragment when fragmentation exceed:" choice), or because the file is larger than some user chosen threshold (though, again personally, I always deselect the "Skip files larger than ..." option: Even 10.00 GB is far too small a threshold for me!). We also know that there may be reasons why a file that would otherwise be selected for defragmentation may not be able to be defragmented: The file may not be moveable (such as when in use), of there may not be enough free space (or, more particularly, not enough contiguous free space) to allow for a complete defragmentation of the file. Please, please, please inform the user as to why defragmentation was not done on any particular file! "No defrag needed" is certainly insufficient, especially when I have files with over a million (yes, nearly 1.3 million) fragments!
  3. I, too, have been perturbed at SD's inability to properly sort its Report tab by file size. My suspicion is that the sort is a pure textual sort that doesn't recognize the size multipliers. It sure would be great if SD v4 could properly sort by file size.
  4. I also endorse improvements in the drive/file map on the "State" tab:

1. I would like to be able to choose to have much smaller blocks for the drive/file map---all the way down to a single pixel, with no border, would be great.
    2. I endorse providing the user with how much space each block represents, approximately.
    3. I believe that some of the user concerns about files seeming to appear/disappear at "random" in the drive/file map could be helped if the colors of the blocks were not simply overridden by the type of the latest file found within a given block, but if the color were an "amalgamation" representing the percentage of the block of space taken by different file types. (Of course, this will only work as the number of different file types are small, and the colors are well chosen for this "blending" operation. I believe the most that could be properly accommodated is six file types, with colors of red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, and yellow, and black for free space/no file. Admittedly, one would certainly still have combinations that will be indistinguishable, but the present one-color-for-the-latest approach has far greater levels of indistinguishability!)
    4. It would be helpful if the user could decrease the screen real-estate taken by so much "blank/empty space" in the user interface (UI). My SD v3 has enough blank/empty space in the volume list, at the top, for at least two more drives (in addition to the two I do have). I don't need that much space being taken up for nothing! There is also too much space taken up under the control buttons/pull-downs: This control button/pull-down section could usefully overlap with the space to the right of the colored "Map:" blocks (and to the left of the "Shut down after defragmentation" check-box), at least when the window is wide enough (as in my case).
    5. It would be nice to have it "re-flow" when the window is resized.

Anyway, I think that's enough for now.

David

Hi Halliday,

Thanks for your precious and detailed suggestions. Thumbs upThumbs up

I will report all these suggestions to our product team for serious considerations. Well, sorry I can not fully understand " It would be nice to have it "re-flow" when the window is resized.", could you please explain it more clearly?:oops:

@All, any suggestions or opinions from you will be our stimulus to improve our products. If you have any ideas, please do not hesitate to tell us. Cheers. :-)

Hi Halliday,

... Well, sorry I can not fully understand " It would be nice to have it "re-flow" when the window is resized.", could you please explain it more clearly?:oops:

This was to reiterate Dekker's suggestion:

Yet another suggestion.

When viewing the "State" tab, with all the blocks representing areas of the drive, if the user re-sizes the display, these blocks should re-flow to intelligently fill the space. Currently, if you increase the dimensions, new blocks are added to the bottom, however it is misleading in that it would appear to indicate you have free/unused space at the end of your drive. Instead, either do not create new "blocks" when the window is enlarged, or intelligently re-map to fill the spaces available.

Dekker

David

Hi Halliday,

Thanks for your fast reply and explanation.

I will report your suggestions to our product team for consideration. By the way, I have sent you a private message. Please check it and hope you can help us.

Thanks for your precious suggestions again. Thumbs up:-)

Hi Guys,

As our loyal users, your guys here should be quite familiar with our Smart Defrag. Now could you please write a positive review for Smart Defrag with your name and photo to support2@iobit.com? We will put the reviews on our new websites. Once you send us your review, you can choose a license code for IObit product that you like as a thanks gift. We promise to ensure your privacy and will never misuse your products.

Could you please help us? And you can check details about the activity http://forums.iobit.com/forum/genera...e-license-code

Add USB disk defrag feature---it defragments USB disk for faster files loading and for faster moving from USB disk into PC, laptop and for faster moving from PC into USB disk

Add External HDD disk defrag feature---it defragments external hdd disk for faster files loading and for faster moving from USB disk into PC, laptop and for faster moving from PC into USB disk

Add USB disk defrag feature---it defragments USB disk for faster files loading and for faster moving from USB disk into PC, laptop and for faster moving from PC into USB disk

Add External HDD disk defrag feature---it defragments external hdd disk for faster files loading and for faster moving from USB disk into PC, laptop and for faster moving from PC into USB disk

This is already a feature of SD. If you have an external hd connected to your pc, when you start SD it will show this disc in the choices of which disc you wish to defrag.

First of all I really like the software even with the issues, but I would really like some changes. All of my computers run a 64-bit software environment and the 32-bit version runs very slow on my computers, t would be nice to have a 64-bit version so my computers will run happy. I am kinda impatient.

Second I would like to know how you determined at what point SD3 knows to recommend defrag needed because I have included the picture of what it says "no defrag needed" and what to me obviously needs to be defragged. I have also included the file report which is huge to me knowing that every calculation of the computer process has to deal with. I would really think that why couldn't we change that value to automatically defrag when we want to defrag. Is that even possible to change that value or have a setting where it could be changed.

CKCustom

In your SD General Settings, you can set at what % you wish your disc to defrag, including an option to always defrag.

I would however recommend that you look at the many discussions here in the forum and in other discussions on the net regarding defragmenting.

You will find the vast majority of experienced people strongly advise against too much & too often defragging your drive. It can lead to wear/damage and a reduction of drive lifespan.

I have my drives set to never defrag until fragmentation exceeds 5%, and I have never experienced a loss of performance as a result.

add ssd defrag and automatic defrag support for windows modern apps and MS changed the terminology from metro to modern so you guys should also consider renaming it and adding frag rate monitor would look really cool or extending ASC monitor by installing it and it should replace Disk optimization in Once click scan of ASC 8 upon installation and priority files option I don't think is of any use in Smart defrag and autooptimzation option would be really cool and add more skins for it like ASC atleast 3 of them

After seeing instances where Defrag and Full Optimization made good, but quite incomplete progress on a drive, I would like to suggest the ability to run multiple Degrag passes: Allow the user to set the maximum number of masses, and run the defrag (especially with Optimize through Prioritize) until either the number of passes is complete, or until no further progress can be made. If no further progress can be made, please inform the user as to why. (The best reason of all, of course, is that the drive is "perfectly" set up. ;) )

First of all I really like the software even with the issues, but I would really like some changes. All of my computers run a 64-bit software environment and the 32-bit version runs very slow on my computers, t would be nice to have a 64-bit version so my computers will run happy. I am kinda impatient.

Second I would like to know how you determined at what point SD3 knows to recommend defrag needed because I have included the picture of what it says "no defrag needed" and what to me obviously needs to be defragged. I have also included the file report which is huge to me knowing that every calculation of the computer process has to deal with. I would really think that why couldn't we change that value to automatically defrag when we want to defrag. Is that even possible to change that value or have a setting where it could be changed.

Hi CKCustom and Scannan,

@Scannan, thanks for your timely and efficient reply to CKCustom.

@CKCustom, for the 32 bit and 64 bit, I remembered that you posted the suggestions in the past and I have reported it to our support team. Actually, all our product can work as it should both on 32 bit and 64 bit. Anyway, I will report your fedbacks again. :-)

After seeing instances where Defrag and Full Optimization made good, but quite incomplete progress on a drive, I would like to suggest the ability to run multiple Degrag passes: Allow the user to set the maximum number of masses, and run the defrag (especially with Optimize through Prioritize) until either the number of passes is complete, or until no further progress can be made. If no further progress can be made, please inform the user as to why. (The best reason of all, of course, is that the drive is "perfectly" set up. ;) )

Hi Halliday,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will report it to our product team for consideration.

@ all, Smart Defrag v4 is on developing. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

The minute microscopic increase in performance is negated by the investment in time and redundancy plus wear on the drive by over defragmenting. A drive can never be "perfectly" set up. When you use it, it will fragment again.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Melvin_Deal,

Thanks for your feedack.

Sorry I can not get you fully.:oops: Could you please explain the situations you mentioned more clearly in details?

Looking forward to your reply.

Hi cicely!

The only situation is that a hard drive will become fragmented during the normal course of use... thus the need for defragmenters. Hence a hard drive can never be "perfectly" set up as user/member Halliday desires to achive in post #70 on this thread. As we dont know Halliday's exact system since it is no longer required here... only general statements can be made to general inquiries. My earlier post reflects the general reality of things.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!