IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Suggestions for Smart Defrag v2

samr

to indicate which files and/or programs are taking up the most space on each drive.

I've noticed that there have been Many similar request for File and Program Info. If you think about it, you are asking for a Complete New program.

Programs like Defrag just Move data blocks around, they do not go into the file indexes, to determine what files are in those data blocks.

So, I think adding that file Info would require creating a Completely Different program, and Not what Smart-defrag was design to do.

Personally, I just want all drives Defragmented, to Speed up access to the drives. ;-)

SD optimize is Slow enough now, without adding more Info collecting to slow it down More.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a suggestion

Hi there, I'm new to this forum. I'd like to suggest that I wish to select different defrag types such as Defrag only/ Fast optimize/ Deep optimize for different drives individually before clicking Start button, rather select only one type of defrag only for all drives. So this would be more smarter!

defrag user files and folders to first position on disk

Can you add file and folder lists, where can user set files, which be move to faster position on disk?

For example: I have Microsoft Outlook with Kerio offline connector, which store emails to one big databases file (STORE.FDB) and this big file is moved with all defragmentators to end of disk, where is slower access. Then is Outlook slow for work.

Thank

Hi BocaDave

Why not utilize that function in the additional tools in ASC for that purpose?

My personal opinion is that a defrag program should handle defragmenting issues, otherwise all programs becomes bloated if they have to contain all functions within the same program.

Cheers

solbjerg

I like the way it works on my 3 drive system.:smile:

A nice additional feature, not directly related to defragging, would be to indicate which files and/or programs are taking up the most space on each drive.

Hi BocaDave

Why not utilize that function in the additional tools in ASC for that purpose?

Solbjerg,

Are you referring to the utility called 'Disk Explorer' in the 'Admin tools' section of ASC?

If I remember correctly, I tried using it to Move some files but it would never let me move Any of them?

I assumed the reason was that all the files I tried to move were being used by another program?

Hi Toppack

As far as I remember one had to put a mark in the box of the file one wanted to move in order to have the option to move it.

Haven't used it for a long time.

It can also be used to find the largest files, and one can then in Explorer drag them to another location as far as I remember, even to another disk I think.

I haven't the time to experiment right now, so please try yourself :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Solbjerg,

Are you referring to the utility called 'Disk Explorer' in the 'Admin tools' section of ASC?

If I remember correctly, I tried using it to Move some files but it would never let me move Any of them?

I assumed the reason was that all the files I tried to move were being used by another program?

I was mainly trying to find out if that was the one you were talking about?

(or another that I did not know about)

The new File Manager in Windows-7 has Everything I need, in that regard. :grin:

(I Never liked the XP File Manager, which I think is more difficult to use than the one in Windows-95) :???:

• 3 weeks later...

Column:Boot Time Defrag - Bug in version 1.2 & 1.21

Smart Defrag 2 Beta

Column: Boot Time Defrag

Minor bug:sad:

When changing from "No" to "Yes" for the specific drives, the setup remains not stable. All "Yes" turns automatically back to "No" after reboot and/or logout/login.

This bug appears in beta versions 1.2 & 1.21. This bug did not appear in the older version 1.1, where settings "Yes" or "No" kept stable and not automatically changed back to "No".

Cheers,

sweidre

Smart Defrag 2 Beta - Translations

Please, publish an English and a German text-file regarding Smart Defrag 2 beta, so others will get the oppurtunity to start translating this excellent software into their native languages.

Personally, I am interested in translating into the Swedish Language, but I need at least an English text-file to start from. Also a German txt-file should be nice to have as a template, because the German grammer is so sophistigated and detailed, that a translation from German cannot go wrong!

Regards,

sweidre

• 4 weeks later...

hi sweidre

The English language file is in the language folder in SD 2 beta :-)

Perhaps Sarakael has translated it into German too if you would rather use that as your template :-)

Apparently the beta 2 versions now usually contains the language file in English.

I usually write what explains the meaning of the functions best in Danish if I find that the English text is unclear or even faulty.

But the official template is the English language file. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Please, publish an English and a German text-file regarding Smart Defrag 2 beta, so others will get the oppurtunity to start translating this excellent software into their native languages.

Personally, I am interested in translating into the Swedish Language, but I need at least an English text-file to start from. Also a German txt-file should be nice to have as a template, because the German grammer is so sophistigated and detailed, that a translation from German cannot go wrong!

Regards,

sweidre

Hi j²

Right click My computer/Properties/Advanced/performance - button - settings/advanced/virtual memory and choose the swapfile size for all the drives you need. They even recommend that one has a swapfile on each drive.

Cheers

solbjerg

Allow a 2nd HDD to be used as a temp/swap volume. As mentioned in another thread, Unix (fsck aka chkdsk) had this capability decades ago.

Tx: JJ

Allow a 2nd HDD to be used as a temp/swap volume. As mentioned in another thread, Unix (fsck aka chkdsk) had this capability decades ago.

Can you explain why and when that would be Needed?

The only reason I can think of is if you let the first drive get too full of data, but one of the first Rules of computing that I learned, was Never to let Drives get That Full, since it can cause Many Problems. ;-)

It seems that having Swap-file on another drive would Slow down the process Greatly?

Also, It's my understanding that in later Windows OSs (improved in W-7) there is a utility called 'SuperFetch', that runs in background, that handles all RAM and Swap-file operations.

It also acts as a frequently used data buffer.

And manually changing the Swap-file location, or decreasing it's size, will cause SuperFetch to operate less efficient.

2nd HDD or SDD as a swap volume

<snip> choose the swapfile size for all the drives you need. They even recommend that one has a swapfile on each drive.

Thanks Solbjerg.

I only have only one HDD but even so, it does not look like the options you described allow one to specify that a 2nd HDD can be used as the swap space for the 1st HDD. (Or a SSD for that matter.) The VM/swap setting also seems to be shared for any number of HDDs on one system. Like I said before, decades ago Unix ......

While I would not recommend it, Unix also allowed one to partition a HDD reserving a portion for use as the swap volume ensuring that one would always have swap space available.

Now for SD. Is it worth while to suggest that SD have an option that would allow a 2nd HDD or SSD to be used as a swap space while it does its thing?

Hi j²

The recommandation I have seen is to have a pagefile (swapfile - unix name) on each harddisk, but they warn solemnly against having one in partions of a harddisk (only one for the entire disk).

Having the use of two swapfiles i.e. in both the primary drive and if it is possible also in another harddisk would in my opinion make retrieval of information slower.

May I suggest more RAM instead.

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks Solbjerg.

I only have only one HDD but even so, it does not look like the options you described allow one to specify that a 2nd HDD can be used as the swap space for the 1st HDD. (Or a SSD for that matter.) The VM/swap setting also seems to be shared for any number of HDDs on one system. Like I said before, decades ago Unix ......

While I would not recommend it, Unix also allowed one to partition a HDD reserving a portion for use as the swap volume ensuring that one would always have swap space available.

Now for SD. Is it worth while to suggest that SD have an option that would allow a 2nd HDD or SSD to be used as a swap space while it does its thing?

would use 2nd hdd for swap (if the option was avail)

... they warn solemnly against having [a swap file] in partions of a harddisk ... May I suggest more RAM instead.

Hi solbjerg (and toppack) . I agree that partitions are not the way to go. These could lead to thrashing on the same device whether for regular use and for maintenance, e.g. chkdsk, fsck (unix), sd or whatever.

In a perfect world I would not have let my HDD fill past the recommended threshold. But - for varoius reasons - I did. And am now in a recovery mode. OS: XP. Single HDD. Limited RAM. Win Defrag will not run. Sd will run - slowly. I am cleaning, moving, culling, deleting and running sd daily.

Speed is not an issue. If SD would limp better with a 2nd HDD (if the option was available) I would use it. As it is I am getting "not enough space" errors on some files. Fewer with repeated runs of SD.

Hi j²

How about buying one harddisk more? How about getting some more RAM?

With all that data on your machine there must be some of it you don't really need?

A fast and easy way ro reclaim some space is to lower the amount of Windows System Restore Points.

By default they are set to 12% of your disk and can easily be lowered to 5% or even 3%, this action may raise the available free space above the 15%.

Just pull the slide to the desired percentage.

Good luck

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg (and toppack) . I agree that partitions are not the way to go. These could lead to thrashing on the same device whether for regular use and for maintenance, e.g. chkdsk, fsck (unix), sd or whatever.

In a perfect world I would not have let my HDD fill past the recommended threshold. But - for varoius reasons - I did. And am now in a recovery mode. OS: XP. Single HDD. Limited RAM. Win Defrag will not run. Sd will run - slowly. I am cleaning, moving, culling, deleting and running sd daily.

Speed is not an issue. If SD would limp better with a 2nd HDD (if the option was available) I would use it. As it is I am getting "not enough space" errors on some files. Fewer with repeated runs of SD.

Speed The Freaking Thing Up!!

GOOD lord I installed this junk 3 days ago, Turned it on to DEFRAG and even now today right at almost 48 hours after starting it up it STILL only had done like 32%, I am uninstalling this junk! DOESNT work properly whe you follow the directions they tell you to use!:-(:-(:-(:-(

Hi doll4man

Please give some information about yor computer and setup!

Size of disk, amount of free space and how long since last defrag and so on.

Please read USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS and Thinking about Defragmentation

Cheers

solbjerg

GOOD lord I installed this junk 3 days ago, Turned it on to DEFRAG and even now today right at almost 48 hours after starting it up it STILL only had done like 32%, I am uninstalling this junk! DOESNT work properly whe you follow the directions they tell you to use!:-(:-(:-(:-(

• 3 weeks later...
The earlier version had an option to shut down the computer after defrag was complete. I want it back. Thanks.

Does the new version 2.0-final Not have that option?

(I'm still using 2.0-beta and it has it, at lower right of main window)

Certainly there is that option and more....

Just click on the Shut down after defragmentation link to see the options of Sleep and Hibernate other than Shut Down.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7093&d=1300916241

Cheers.