IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Suggestions for Smart Defrag v2

samr

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just click on the Shut down after defragmentation link to see the options of Sleep and Hibernate other than Shut Down.

Wow i did not know this.I was thinking that when i click this then shutdown option will be activated.Did not know about Sleep and Hibernate.

Perhaps include a small down arrow or some other element to indicate that more options are available?.I bet im not the only one who did not know about sleep option being there.

Hi Tomorrow,

Having an arrow or a chevron down there is a good idea :idea:, but have you had a chance to look at User Manual reachable from Support link at the top of the GUI? :lol:

You know guys, inclusion of those options is a proof that IObit is really considering the suggestions made in IObit Forum as those were requested by a user in another thread when there was only Shut Down option. :-D

Cheers.

Large file to end of drive.

Need a way to force very large data files to end of drive. I understand that these files will be slower to access, but thats okay because they are constantly causing issues with many of the smaller files that surround them and the big files don't seem to want to defrag very well. They are static in size, only changing time/date stamp for access.

Have Smart Defrag 2 beta 3.0. Don't see the option to do anything but skip files larger than a certain size where it pertains to what can be done with large files. There are other programs that claim to be able to move the data to end of drive when what they really mean is to the end of the existing data on the drive, not the end of the drive, itself. Any chance that this can be incorporated into the program?

Need a way to force very large data files to end of drive. I understand that these files will be slower to access, but thats okay because they are constantly causing issues with many of the smaller files that surround them and the big files don't seem to want to defrag very well. They are static in size, only changing time/date stamp for access.

Have Smart Defrag 2 beta 3.0. Don't see the option to do anything but skip files larger than a certain size where it pertains to what can be done with large files. There are other programs that claim to be able to move the data to end of drive when what they really mean is to the end of the existing data on the drive, not the end of the drive, itself. Any chance that this can be incorporated into the program?

Defraggler is apparently able to do this tho last i checked it's engine was awful.Each time i started it it would completely change it's mind about the state of the drive and start a lenghty relocation process.Defragged 750GB drive for half a day.After that had lot of work to do to get everything ok again.

SD does not take so long even with a heavily fragmented drive with Deep Optimize.

So Smart Defrag Foreva :razz:

• 2 weeks later...

Smart Defrag 2 the fun finishing touch

:-) Hi From New Zealand,

:roll: I've been using SM for years now, and recommend it to everybody, but it really does need that tiny, fun, finishing touch, especially now, with 2, which has such a great GUI.

:idea: An infinitely variable skin color generator, is so simple, small, and easy to include in the exe, I really don't know why they haven done it before. There are plenty of off the shelf ones available too.

:razz: Presently there is only ugly black, or unimaginative white, what a choice !!!

:smile: Possibly, you can direct me to a link to get such a program, and tell me how to install it.

:lol: Regards Bill3333

v.2.0.1 the news message at the bottom of the window is no longer uniform with the theme.Before it was black if the theme was black.Now it's white even if the theme is black.Seems inconsistent to me.

Regarding themes - why not open up the theme making so people can create custom themes?

Assuming 3rd party themes are possible with the current implementation?

From what i see they are since a skin seems to consist from series of .png files and the Layout.ini file in /Skins folder.

Tho i have yet to see any 3rd party skins.If you know some then please link.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tomorrow

Have you tried the option to show or hide the latest news?

Cheers

solbjerg

v.2.0.1 the news message at the bottom of the window is no longer uniform with the theme.Before it was black if the theme was black.Now it's white even if the theme is black.Seems inconsistent to me.

Regarding themes - why not open up the theme making so people can create custom themes?

From what i see they are since a skin seems to consist from series of .png files and the Layout.ini file in /Skins folder.

Originally Posted by Tomorrow http://forums.iobit.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif

The news message at the bottom of the window is no longer uniform with the theme.Before it was black if the theme was black.Now it's white even if the theme is black.Seems inconsistent to me.

Hi Tomorrow, I agree with you.

Here is a workaround:

Change the following files in black folder with the same files in white folder and vice versa for the white folder too:

1) News_Middle.png

2) News_Right.png

3) News_Left.png

ie. : The ones in White folder go to Black folder and the ones in Black folder go to White folder.

That's it.:grin:

If you are a perfectionist, then change the the following values in Layout.ini files too:

Black folder: Layout.ini

NewsContent=5000268 ====>NewsContent=13948116

White folder: Layout.ini

NewsContent=13948116 ====>NewsContent=5000268

There will still be a glitch. :!:

When you open SD in White skin, it is OK, but when you open SD in Black skin, the news section will be white and you have to change the skin to White and then Black again to show the news section in black.

I did it and will keep it as I have explained.

I wish I could do the same thing for IObit Malware Fighter. :idea:

Cheers.

Tomorrow, have you had a chance to look at ASC4 Skins section opened on Mar. 3rd, 2011 ? :lol:

All the best.

hello there....

what is the use of smart defrag?

thanks!

During normal use of your computer, data is stored on the hard-drive in a very Random way.

Smart-defrag moves the data and organizes it, so less time is needed to retrieve it.

So, it allows your computer to operate Faster.

why smart defrag?

what is the use of smart defrag? thanks!

Adding to Toppacks' answer: after SD rearranges the data on the hard disk, in normal use the arrangement of the data will, again, get scrambled. Think of a library where people will take books off the shelves to browse through. The rules are to leave the books off the shelves on carts or elsewhere. And leave the replacement of the books into the shelves up to the librarians. This makes sure the books go back into the right shelves and right slots. SD is like the librarians, making sure the data is placed back into the right slot on the hard disk. And is is easier (faster) to find. JJ

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alicia, just for fun, could you please send me a random generator file to go in C:\Program Files\IObit\Smart Defrag 2\Skins, so I can set any skin colour. This is so simple, you might like to include it in the setup. exe. Rebards Bill333

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

Suggestion: Built in updater program for Smart Defrag, would be good as it saves us having to go to a link and downloading there.

Another useful add on would be if it told you when a new version was available, so we could update as easily as we do with Advanced System Care.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a little functionality that doesn't seem to be suggested yet:

Smart Defrag 2 appears to be accessing a HDD, even if no tasks are performed on it at the moment and automatic defragmentation is disabled on the said drive. This brings up a little annoyance when using external mediums. When trying to dismount, Windows will always report the drive being in use, if SD2 is running. And currently, the only way to safely remove the drive appears to be by closing SD2 first. Therefore dismount integration or perhaps a check box somewhere in the options, or just negating access of removable drives that are not currently being defragmented could be a welcome feature addition, not exactly crucial though.

detect and lockout SSD's

Currently, SD is configured on installation to auto defrag all drives including Solid State Drives (SSD's). This is not good for SSD's. Please auto-detect SSD's and disable defrag on them. Microsoft's latest defragger does this.

Thanks for a great and free product!

Hello squidward,

We developed a small tool to look into this issue. Please be kindly to help us test it.

1)Please download the CheckSsdDemo.rar and extract it.

2)Double click CheckSsdDemo.exe to run it.

3)Copy and send the result to us, and please let us know whether the result is right or not.

CheckSsdDemo.rar

The results are correct:

Note that running the test causes a UAC prompt. (Win7 x64)

Disk ID: C300-CTF DDAC128MAG SATA Disk Device Serial Number: 00000000105103012534 SSD: Yes

Disk ID: WDC WD10 01FALS-00J7B1 SATA Disk Device Serial Number: 00000000105103012534 SSD: No

• 1 month later...

Suggestion: Add a confirmation message if you press "Stop" whilst it is defragging. I sometimes press it by accident and have to restart the entire thing again.