IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC with antivirus issues

Ok the real time Protection will not engage with AVG 2012 and Malwarebytes.It keeps asking to me to uninstall witch i do not want to be cause i have a 4 year sub of AVG 2012 and a life sub of malwarebytes.

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing problems with ASC and AVG2012 free

Hi, Soon after my AVG 2012 free updates and I re-boot the Windows Disc Check screen continues going through all 'My Craft Studio' including the artwork folders over 13GB and once this is completed I can access the computer. This can take between 5-6 hours. Looking at the details in the Disc Doctor report it would appear the issues are with folders on my Ext HDD (F: Drive), which I use as backup. The folders in question have been on the Ext HDD for a year since June 2011, without any issues using Norton System Works Premier. The problems only started since uninstalling this and using Advanced SystemCare 5 Pro together with AVG 2012 Free. After a Deep Clean I can sometimes re-boot the computer for a short while but the problems begin again after the AVG update. I would really appreciate your help

I've attached the diagnostic reports.

ASCDiagnoseReport.zip

If you temporarily power-down the external drive F:,

does everything run normally?

If there are only Compressed back-up files on that drive,

then I don't think any of the ASC utilities should be doing anything to it?

If they are, you need to determine which of the many utilities is doing it,

by running them 'one at a time'.

(use the check-mark boxes to do that)

BTW- I use AVG-2012, ASC-5 and an external back-up drive, with No problems,

but I only power up the external when I need to do a system back-up.

(So, I have never tried running ASC while drive is powered-up,

I always run ASC and Smart-defrag2 Before doing a backup)

ASC 5 Pro and AVG 2012 Free - ongoing problems

Hi Toppack,

No the files on the Ext HDD are not compressed. I used the have the graphics programme and it's artwork in question running from this drive as space was limited on my C Drive. At the time I carried out an uninstall via Control Panel Add/Remove Programmes, then reinstalled it to the Ext HDD.

I while back I had a much larger Int HDD fitted and then installed the programme and it's artwork on this too. I use the progrmme daily for designing, so having it on the C Drive means it now runs faster. Both installations were made using the original discs.

Having the programme duplicated on the EXT HDD means I can also use it with the laptop but not take up valuable disc space as it used to on the desktop.

Like you my brother, uses ASC and AVG free with an Ext HDD and has never encountered problems in 7yrs, althhough I can't say if the files are compressed. All the family computers (6 in total) plus members of his wife's family are all running smoothly with this combination, hence his recommendation. For my sins it's only me with the issues :cry:

I hope that helps to explain the situaion more fully.

I really appreciate your help and advice. Any other suggestions?

Maz48

If you are saying that you have the Same program installed on 2 drives, which are both connected at same time,

then that is Not advisable. It will probably Confuse all Security and Utility programs which access the registry.

If the external drive has a USB-2.0 interface to computer,

it Would be Much slower than SATA or ATA interface,

but I can not think of another reason it should take 5 or 6 hours,

unless maybe 2 or more programs are trying to access the drive at the Same time.

(If AVG is doing a Scan at the same time as ASC is Scanning it,

they may conflect with each other and would definitely slow each other down)

(even more so on a USB buss)

Hi Toppack,

I've been running the computer without the Ext HDD powered up and this has eliminated the CHKDSK as I boot up, so this confirms the bad clusters listed are on my F Drive. The artwork foders in question total 13GB so this is the reason it takes so long to check.

Is there a way these bad clusters can be cleaned permanently?

The ext drive is usually powered up 24/7 but if I've need to remove it, this is always done using the safely remove hardware icon on the taskbar or when the pc is switched off. The artwork folders concerned were installed from the orginal CD's. The only other factor I can think of is we've had several power cuts recently whilst the pc was on, some lasting only for a few seconds others several hours. Could this have caused damage to the Ext Drive, even with a surg protector attached?

I spent my whole career problem solving but find pc's so frustrating. Thanks for your continuing help.

If it runs chkdsk on drive F: at every boot-up,

then probably Not. The drive may be failing.

Did you run chkdsk /r f:

at the Windows Run-line (command-prompt)?

Or is it being run without the /r switch?

Running it with the /r does the Complete test and repair.

See chkdsk switch-commands here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK

Hi Scorpio

Didn't I read somewhere in your posts that your F: drive was FAT32 ?

Do you have the ability to change the format to NTFS in your computer? Otherwise I think it should be run through the command prompt as at FAT32 defragment. (which I by the way think is slower)

Normally it should take less than ½ an hour I think if it was NTFS.

How much free space do you have on that drive? (at least 15% is usually recommended)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Toppack,

I've been running the computer without the Ext HDD powered up and this has eliminated the CHKDSK as I boot up, so this confirms the bad clusters listed are on my F Drive. The artwork foders in question total 13GB so this is the reason it takes so long to check.

The ext drive is usually powered up 24/7 but if I've need to remove it, this is always done using the safely remove hardware icon on the taskbar or when the pc is switched off. The artwork folders concerned were installed from the orginal CD's. The only other factor I can think of is we've had several power cuts recently whilst the pc was on, some lasting only for a few seconds others several hours. Could this have caused damage to the Ext Drive, even with a surg protector attached?

I spent my whole career problem solving but find pc's so frustrating. Thanks for your continuing help.

I did not see anything about it being FAT32 format,

but if it is, a 'Format' would be required to change it to NTFS,

which of course would Delete everything on the drive.

It would be better to connect in a new drive and Format it NTFS,

then copy everything from the old drive.

Hi Toppack

I think it was in one of the attachments.

I remember back in Win 98 (I think it was) that one had the opportunity to change the file allocation table 32 into new technology file system without loosing any files - from a command in start/programs/accessories - and wondered if that was still possible.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. It was only the F:\drive that was FAT32 - the rest of the drives were NTFS

I took a look in my Help&Support file - it said that it was possible to do a conversion through cmd (command prompt) in Run by writing this:

convert F: /fs:ntfs

It should convert F:\ into NTFS format without loosing anything I think.

(remember though that I use Windows XP sp.3) :-)

Haven't tried it here though but I did it through accessories in 1998 without problems as far as I remember.

I did not see anything about it being FAT32 format,

but if it is, a 'Format' would be required to change it to NTFS,

which of course would Delete everything on the drive.

It would be better to connect in a new drive and Format it NTFS,

then copy everything from the old drive.

Bad clusters on the F Drive

Hi Toppack,

ASC only runs the CHKDSK on startup after a deep clean, it's absolutely fine with the quick care daily maintenance. Is there a way of changing the settings to stop the F Drive being scanned during a deep clean, thus eliminating the 5hr scenario. I would really appreciate detailed guidance on doing this.

Many thanks

Scorpio484

runs the CHKDSK on startup after a deep clean

If by "Deep Clean" you mean the option called that, in the 'Deep-care'-'Registry Fix' utility,

(deep-clean scans and changes the Registry, not the Drives)

If so, I suggest that you disable 'Deep clean' by removing the check-mark in box, on 'Registry fix' Settings page, and Not Run it.

I think that 'Deep clean' option can remove Too much from the registry. :-(

If you really mean 'Deep Care' Group, instead of 'Deep clean', you need to determine which of the many utilities, in that group, is causing the problem.

Hi Toppack

As I understand it there is a problem with defragment of the F: disk in the deep scan?

So as it is a fat32 disk I would use the setting in deep scan to abstain to do a defragment there, if there also is a problem with registry fix I would untick that option too in the deep scan..

Cheers

solbjerg

If by "Deep Clean" you mean the option called that, in the 'Deep-care'-'Registry Fix' utility,

(deep-clean scans and changes the Registry, not the Drives)

If so, I suggest that you disable 'Deep clean' by removing the check-mark in box, on 'Registry fix' Settings page, and Not Run it.

I think that 'Deep clean' option can remove Too much from the registry. :-(

If you really mean 'Deep Care' Group, instead of 'Deep clean', you need to determine which of the many utilities, in that group, is causing the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Problems with Deep Care and F Drive

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I'm afraid I don't know what format the F Drive is, I just started to use it out of the box. However, this information may have been included in one of my logs which were sent as attachments.

The issue I raised only occurs after a 'Deep Care' when problems identified on my F Drive would be fixed on re-boot. This, as I said earlier found bad clusters in my artwork folders - 13 GB, so Windows CHKDSK went on to fix these taking 5 hours or more. The daily 'Quick Care' runs fine and I am able to re-boot after these scans without problems.

Toppack - several queries please:-

I understand it's difficult commenting on other company's software but these issues never surfaced whilst using Norton System Works Premier with the artwork folders on the F Drive. Is ASC's Deep Care more thorough than this?

One suggestion was to change the format of the F Drive to NTFS if it's currently FAT32. However, if there's the risk of loosing all my back up data I can't re-format the F Drive from FAT32 to NTFS without having a second Ext drive, to copy to first. The present one is 1TB.

Enoskype and Soljerg posted about unticking Disk Scan and Disk Defragment in the Deep Care list. Would doing this eliminate just the F Drive or both this and C Drive. At the moment I only carry out a Deep Clean when the F Drive is safely disconnected. After this has completed, I power up the F Drive for access to my regularly used folders.

If one or more of the utilities in the Deep Care is causing the problem, how do I determine this?

Sorry to ask so many questions but this isn't my area of expertise.

Thanks again for your help - Scorpio

If the Hard-drive was recently purchased, it's probably formated NTFS,

If so, you don't need to re-format it.

The 'Windows Disk-Management' program will tell you which it is.

You can run each utility separately by clicking on and removing the setting check-marks, to disable the others.

I have not used the Norton software.

• 1 month later...
If you have a free USB port you can always buy a 16GB or 32GB thumb drive and move the files there before reformatting the HDD.

You might also want to look at Gibson Research Spin Rite. It is free

Hi Buddahfan!

Thank you for being an active member here!!:-)

As you have not updated your current system details in your user control panel, and are linking softwares (spinn -riite) that are not updated (2005 newest version I could find)... I have de-linked your post. Everybody else can Google it if they want to.

I ran some of the softwares... whats the use? I find no useability as they are no longer developed or supported technically. Even the Webpage is not. (sure its supported by its developer... if he had his wishes it would stand through all time)

I am only being moderate:)

[EDIT] by Mel: SpinRite is here... grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

:shock::shock::shock:

Melvin,

Did you De-link the website because you don't like the Spin-rite software or you don't like the developer ??? :-( :lol:

I do think that Spin-rite is okay for Older model drives with high failure rates,

but 'not so much' with newer type drives.

If running Chkdsk (check-disk) continually finds errors, then Spin-rite may keep the drive going a little longer.

Of course It's always better to get a New, Large Drive! :grin:

:shock::shock:

Melvin,

Did you De-link the website because you don't like the Spin-rite software or you don't like the developer ??? :-( :lol:

I do think that Spin-rite is okay for Older model drives with high failure rates,

but 'not so much' with newer type drives.

If running Chkdsk (check-disk) continually finds errors, then Spin-rite may keep the drive going a little longer.

Of course It's always better to get a New, Large Drive! :grin:

Hi Toppack...

Neither of the above. I delinked the software because it is not supported in this ever evolving world and had a few concerns about it.:-) I have inserted most of the URL in my newest edit (as to not appear to censure the post, as by your response it would appear that I have). Now it will be even easier for it to be Googled.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Buddahfan!

Thank you for being an active member here!!:-)

As you have not updated your current system details in your user control panel, and are linking softwares (spinn -riite) that are not updated (2005 newest version I could find)... I have de-linked your post. Everybody else can Google it if they want to.

I ran some of the softwares... whats the use? I find no useability as they are no longer developed or supported technically. Even the Webpage is not. (sure its supported by its developer... if he had his wishes it would stand through all time)

I am only being moderate:)

[EDIT] by Mel: SpinRite is here... grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Updated my profile

No sweat over SpinRite8:)

Archived