IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Icon in the task bar

FAM10

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Scannan

Yes - if somebody absolutely wants to run an automatic boot defrag I would recommend it to be every four weeks.

I haven't run a boot defrag for several months, and my fast defrag looks fine.

Cheers

solbjerg

Solbjerg

Thank you for the info. This is also what I found. That is why I asked for clarification of the text Fam10 saw. I think SD is running as it should. I still recommend to Fam10 not to do boot defrags on every boot.

Fam10,

I am sorry, but you will have to be more specific in your description/explanation.

When you say "the text related to defragment appeared (in DOS mode, below the loading of Windows)"

What does the text say??. does it say it is performing a boot defrag,,,or does it say that bootdefrag will not run....

It makes it easier for us to assist you if you supply clear and full information in your post.

In fact,I would never run Bootdefrag every boot or even every first boot or even once a week. I would only ever use bootdefrag if I found excessive amounts of immovable files during analyze. However I do understand that you are concerned that it appears to perform boot defrag while on battery. We will know better when you tell us what the text says during boot.

Hi, attached is the image of the text. Apparentely SD makes a boot time defrag in spite of the power from battery only.

I agree with your recommendations about the boot time defrag but in this case I am testing the Iobit defragmentor.

Hi Scannan & Fam10

I tested the option. Found my laptop and opened it and asked SD to perform a boot time defrag on only the next startup, It ran on batteries and the setting was "do not defrag while running on batteries".

I restarted the laptop and it did open the dos defrag window where it informed me of the status of the drive.

After a few seconds it closed without having run any defragmentation.

Sorry that I was too late to get a screenshot of the text and it closed so fast that I didn't have time to read it all.

So it does not run a boot defrag while on batteries as far as I have seen here. (No bug there either) :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

In my case it seem to be that the SD really runs a boot time defrag working with battery. Please see the post #28.

Thanks.

Fam10,

Thank you for the view of your screen. Like Soplbjerg, this does not happen on my machine. I think that you should send this issue to Iobit feedback, and let them have a look at it. You can reference this thread to them also. You can send it here....feedback@iobit.com

Please let us know if Iobit has an explanation.

Hi, attached is the image of the text. Apparentely SD makes a boot time defrag in spite of the power from battery only.

I agree with your recommendations about the boot time defrag but in this case I am testing the Iobit defragmentor.

I add the log file of that boot time defrag (see attachment). Thanks to all people participating in this thread.

:idea:Does HP use a Modified Version of Windows OS in that computer? :?:

Maybe that is the reason SD does not know it is operating on batteries?

I know HP has used Modified version of Windows with some of their models.

No, it doesn't. This HP originally had Linux and now has Windows 7 Professional installed from a DVD.

Okay, I was just trying to think of Any reason that your system might be different ???

I'm a Desktop-system person, so I'm not even sure how W-7 determines that it is being installed on a Laptop,

that may be operated on batteries?

Doesn't there have to be firmware in the Motherboard BIOS, that notifies the OS?

If so, maybe that is not in the HP-430 BIOS?

I don't remember any battery-power Configuration-settings anywhere on our W-7 desktop computers.

Are there battery config settings in control-panel of Laptops?

Hi Toppack

Under the power configuration in the control panel you have several options

It relates to the System Optimization in ASC somewhat, which is why I show this screenshot and not the ones from the control panel :-)

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10499&stc=1&d=1348918335

My configuration

Cheers

solbjerg

Okay, I was just trying to think of Any reason that your system might be different ???

I'm a Desktop-system person, so I'm not even sure how W-7 determines that it is being installed on a Laptop,

that may be operated on batteries?

Doesn't there have to be firmware in the Motherboard BIOS, that notifies the OS?

If so, maybe that is not in the HP-430 BIOS?

I don't remember any battery-power Configuration-settings anywhere on our W-7 desktop computers.

Are there battery config settings in control-panel of Laptops?

Hi Toppack

Under the power configuratin in the control panel you have several options

:?:

So, if there are battery power options in Control-panel of Laptops, then W-7 Must be getting that Info from the Mobo BIOS. :idea:

Can any of those battery-settings you are seeing, being set incorrectly in Control-panel, Cause the Problem of SD not seeing the batteries?

You may be on to something there Toppack. Seeing that Solbjerg and myself do not have the problem. Fam10 could have a look at the Power Option Properties.

I am not sure about W7 but I have attached the screenshots for XP, which may help. It is called Power Options in XP Control Panel but may have a different name in W7 control panel.

Some additional info: It appears that HP laptops and W7 do not work nice together regarding recognition of batteries and power usage recognition. There may be a BIOS update for this.

Have you tried this:

Right-click the taskbar -> Properties -> in the "Notification Area" section, click the "Customize" button

...and then setting the appropriate icons to "Show icon and notifications"? There is a check box for "Power".

Hi, thank you for participating.

Attached is my system information.

I want to comment that the issue with battery functioning is only for Boot Time Defrag. For any of three defragment mode (defrag only, defrag and fast optimize...) in "State" section, and for Automatic Defrag, the defragment process does not run when the power is from battery only.

On the other hand, I sent to Iobit feedback this case by recommendation of Scannan user

Regards

Did you try the changes I suggested in my last post.

1)."Fam10 could have a look at the Power Option Properties."

2). "Right-click the taskbar -> Properties -> in the "Notification Area" section, click the "Customize" button

...and then setting the appropriate icons to "Show icon and notifications"? There is a check box for "Power"."

And if so did they make any difference. We need feedback to enable us to determine how to proceed.

Did you try the changes I suggested in my last post.

1)."Fam10 could have a look at the Power Option Properties."

2). "Right-click the taskbar -> Properties -> in the "Notification Area" section, click the "Customize" button

...and then setting the appropriate icons to "Show icon and notifications"? There is a check box for "Power"."

And if so did they make any difference. We need feedback to enable us to determine how to proceed.

I believe all is with standard configuration, I never change anything of power configuration. I use te system with Equilibrated power mode. With relation to "Show icon and notification" see the attachment.

On the other hand I checked the issue of Boot Time Defrag with battery in another system, in this case a netbook HP Mini with Windows XP SP3 and the behaviour is identically to my system with Win 7 Professional in a laptop HP 430. Then Boot Time Defrag working with battery only as source power and with "Stop defragmenting when using battery (Recommended)" ticked. Therefore it seem to be an issue beyond my laptop HP 430.

And I checked again the icon situation and I finally conclude that the icon disappears when disconnect the current only after power on the laptop when the SD icon is present in the task bar. After that, If I open SD from the desktop icon and after unplug the current, the icon remains in the task bar. This is the behaviour about the task bar SD icon.

Thank you for the feedback. I think that because Bootdefrag, is such a small and quick process, that maybe Iobit developers did not see the necessity to include it in the criteria governing battery usage. They may have calculated that the additional power required by Bootdefrag is so small that it would not cause a drain on the battery, or affect system operation.

Hi Scannan

I think you are right about the amount of work the boot defrag has to do.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10508&stc=1&d=1349024819

As you can see there were no fragments in the test I did the other day (battery)

and only 1 fragment in the test done in March 2012 (done with power connected)

All settings (3) were checked at the time of the test.

About the icon - when having the icon in the system tray and then changing the configuration, one has to restart the program for the changes to take effect - i.e. right click the icon and click close and then start it again from SmartDefrag in the Programs. The icon was placed in the system tray by some other settings and one has to let it start with the changed settings.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Sorry for the quality of the screenshot, but I had to take it from my laptop on a usb-stick and place it in this computer and this apparently made it a little fuzzy.

Sorry also for forgetting to change the language to English before taking the screenshot.

Thank you for the feedback. I think that because Bootdefrag, is such a small and quick process, that maybe Iobit developers did not see the necessity to include it in the criteria governing battery usage. They may have calculated that the additional power required by Bootdefrag is so small that it would not cause a drain on the battery, or affect system operation.

Solbjerg

Thank you for the feedback. I also did the same on my machine and had only one fragment. Even looking at Fam10's logs, it also shows very little activity.

I think in this case that Iobit were right on the buton by ignoring the power requirement of a bootdefrag.

As for the Icon issue. I am think it is something that Iobit may be able to resolve, as it appears to me that it is the handling system on Fam10's laptop which is creating the problem. I have tried everything and my Icon does not dissapear. So I think we will have to wait and see what Iobit comes back with.

No, it doesn't. This HP originally had Linux and now has Windows 7 Professional installed from a DVD.

I have been away for a few days and am playing catch-up here.:shock: I have not reviewed the whole thread yet... but think it pertinent to note that no HP (Hewlett-Packard) ever commercially sold was originally installed with Linux. I will review the rest of the thread tomorrow and hopefully will not have put my foot in my mouth somehow.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I have been away for a few days and am playing catch-up here.:shock: I have not reviewed the whole thread yet... but think it pertinent to note that no HP (Hewlett-Packard) ever commercially sold was originally installed with Linux. I will review the rest of the thread tomorrow and hopefully will not have put my foot in my mouth somehow.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Mel, the HP has a green/blank sticker with the text "SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 - Novell". Is the unique data that I have. I suppouse that this Linux was replaced by the actual Win 7 Pro in the enterprise where I work.

Thanks.

Solbjerg and Scannan,

Thank you for your comments.

I agree that possibly Iobit is not considering Boot Time Defrag to be critical for functioning with battery.

With respect to icon issue, the final behaviour is in post #41: the icon disappears when disconnect the current only after power on the laptop when the SD icon is present in the task bar. After that, If I open SD from the desktop icon and after unplug the current, the icon remains in the task bar. This was checked in more than one system and the results were identical. Note that there are two situations: one of them does not affect the icon.

I have sent this issue to Iobit feedback too.

Hi FAM

I think it is as I said earlier - you have to close the program and then start it again after you have changed it from connected to power to just running on battery.

If you right click the icon after you have gone to battery and choose Close in the menu, it will close the program so that you will have to find SmartDefrag.exe in the folder and open it from there or in Start/programs/ SmartDefrag (- smartdefrag.exe)to have it come up, I think.

Even if it is in the tray after you have gone to battery you cannot make it run a defrag, right?

I suspect that in most cases going to battery will mean that you are taking your laptop along with you, -don't you close the computer when you have to take a journey? I that case the icon won't come up, when you open it during your journey, right?

Cheers

solbjerg

Solbjerg and Scannan,

Thank you for your comments.

I agree that possibly Iobit is not considering Boot Time Defrag to be critical for functioning with battery.

With respect to icon issue, the final behaviour is in post #41: the icon disappears when disconnect the current only after power on the laptop when the SD icon is present in the task bar. After that, If I open SD from the desktop icon and after unplug the current, the icon remains in the task bar. This was checked in more than one system and the results were identical. Note that there are two situations: one of them does not affect the icon.

I have sent this issue to Iobit feedback too.

Hi FAM

I think it is as I said earlier - you have to close the program and then start it again after you have changed it from connected to power to just running on battery.

If you right click the icon after you have gone to battery and choose Close in the menu, it will close the program so that you will have to find SmartDefrag.exe in the folder and open it from there or in Start/programs/ SmartDefrag (- smartdefrag.exe)to have it come up, I think.

Even if it is in the tray after you have gone to battery you cannot make it run a defrag, right?

I suspect that in most cases going to battery will mean that you are taking your laptop along with you, -don't you close the computer when you have to take a journey? I that case the icon won't come up, when you open it during your journey, right?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg, the situation is such that you describe; in a journey I use the laptop sometimes with battery and after with current, and in sleep mode too. Therefore I plug and unplug the machine. My ideal situation is that when connect the current the program automatically continues working but this not occurs if the icon is not present in the task bar, and then I have to open it from Start/Proograms/SmartDefrag as you say.

Best regards.

Fam10

You are correct. You should be able to use the laptop on battery or mains without having to restart programs. I think that this issue can only be solved by Iobit, as we are talking about the interaction of the Iobit programs with the machine BIOS and windows power management. Hopefully Iobit will have some feedback soon.

Archived