IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

2nd VelociRapter Drive

Toppack

Hi Toppack,

If you're thinking of going with liquid cooling, you might take a look at the NZXT Kraken series. http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/cooling/liquid/32442-nzxt-kraken?showall=1&limitstart=

I'm giving serious consideration to putting the X40 in my Phantom 410. I put a Scythe Gran Kama Cross in just for gits and shiggles (looks like a V8) but have never really been happy with the cooling.

Take a look you might be impressed.

A.T.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Toppack,

If you're thinking of going with liquid cooling, you might take a look at the NZXT Kraken series.

Yes the NZXT looks like a Good one but the Corsair H100i seems to have a better and much simpler mounting bracket,

with no need for back-plate on Mobo, (that has AMD socket),

like most other coolers do.

It has a single magnetic-metal plate, instead of the multi-part plastic assembly of the NZXT.

See videos at these websites:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032

I found out that 1 of the 2 fans on that CPU Heatsink was not changing Speed (to higher RPM) when needed. :-(

So I guess it was actually blocking the air from the other fan also. :-? Since they are in Push/Pull configuration.

I replaced the fan and now the CPU is 'Cool & Happy'. :grin:

I had already ordered a Water-cooler for it, so now I'll need to find a good place to use it? :?:

Only 2 of our computer-cases are designed for water-cooler installation and both of those are now running Cool with fans.

BTW - I could not find any loose connections in the fan's cable,

so the problem has probably always been there, from when it was New, and I just never noticed it until now.

That CPU has always run hot under heavy-load.

I think I will design a bracket to mount the Water-Radiator externally,

at back or side of an older case.

That way it will be isolated from the hot-air inside the case

and will require the least amount of modification to the case.

Will just need a hole for hoses, since these cases do not have those holes either. :roll:

With it mounted external I can easily add or remove fans as needed.

I'll start with 2 fans and than try 4 in Push/Pull.

I can comparison test it, in that config, and then if I like it I will get another case for it.

Hi Toppack,

Why don't you give us some real images (pictures of your PC combinations Cases, fans, mobos, etc.).

Personally, I will really enjoy them and understand the configurations better and check the fitness of my imagination about your hardware.

Cheers.

Okay, I'll try to take some pics of the water-cooler install, on my test system, when I get it completed.

I will be better able to determine what it will take to get it mounted after I receive it in a couple days.

I'm thinking the hoses may be too short, so I may have to lengthen them and add a flow-indicator and fill-plug in the hoses at the same time,

but not sure about length yet.

The other thing I'm concerned about is that when I remove the CPU fans

it will also reduce the air-flow over the RAM modules and the Mobo-northbridge,

So, I think I'll also need to increase the size of the fan in left case-cover to get more cooling in that area.

I have a 200.mm fan and grill, I can use, but I will need to cut a larger hole in the case side-window for it.

I installed the larger 200.mm fan in side-window,

after removing small 80.mm.

(the large fan makes Less noise and moves a Lot more air)

I cut the large hole in plastic with a Dremel-tool and used a 10" Speaker-grille to cover the hole.

Here's pics of case with new fan, the Corsair-H100i and the flow-indicator I plan to use:

Well, I received the water-cooler and the hoses are ONLY 11" of usable length and I need about 14" length.

They are Way TOO Short :!:

So, I'll be Cutting the hoses and adding 'Modifications'. :wink: :-D

I guess that will 'Void the Warranty'. :roll:

(I'll make sure the pump is working before I modify it)

There are no clamps holding the hoses on but they are very tight fit,

so I don't think there is any way to just pull them off without damaging the radiator or pump. :-?

So, they will need to be Cut Off.

I think a box-knife will be the best way to do that.

They used very good quality hose, too bad they did Not use enough of it to allow for versatility in installation.

I'll use their black hose inside the case and use some Clear hose for Outside connections.

The Clear hose will allow me to watch for air-bubbles and re-fill as needed.

I'm going to try to use a simple T-block as the Fill-Plug adapter.

Are you sure there won't be leaks (not Wikileaks) in the future?

Yes, there are very high quality hose-fittings available now for these water-cooling systems.

(the pump is very Low-pressure so is easy to seal)

I won't be cutting it until I've collected all the parts I need to assemble it safely and correctly.

There's really no hurry on this project since replacing the bad fan corrected the hot CPU problem.

I may even wait until I get another case to mount it in.

Right now I'm just considering all the possible ways to use it.

Well I think the water-pump is running.

I can not really hear it , with fans running next to it, but I can feel a slight vibration.

With the black hoses only, there would be No way to know if the pump has stopped until the CPU Burned-up. :shock: :sad:

That is just Not Acceptable! :!:

So, if I use it, I will definitely be adding the flow-indicator and fill-plug.

Also, I think there are air bubbles in the sealed unit, since I think I can hear them when I turn it over,

which is Not good either. :sad:

Hi Toppack,

Been following your adventure and hate to hear about all the problems your are having. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but should you attempt this in the future, I would still try the NZXT Kraken series. I'm just waiting for a price drop, missed Newegg Shell Shocker some time back, could have gotten the 40 for about $60. I know the installation of a backplate was one of the deal breakers for you, but the fact your are now having hose and monitoring issues. these could be rectified using the Kraken, as hose length are right at 15.75 inches and included software comes with dashboard which shows Liquid temps., Fan speed, Pump speed and CPU temps. I sincerely hope you get your problems resolved, hate to see a fellow builder get into difficulties. For reference purposes: http://hitechlegion.com/reviews/cooling/liquid/32442-nzxt-kraken

Good Luck

A.T.

To me those things are Challenges instead of big problems. :-D

Now that I've bought this thing I'm determined to 'make it work'

and 'make it Better'. :grin:

I'm not going to be in any big hurry to use it

until 'I Like what I've got'. 8:)

I ordered some Fittings and tubing to start the Mods

and we will see how it goes.

BTW- there's monitoring software for this one also, called CorsairLink2.

I downloaded the latest version but I don't see any way to monitor Pump-speed,

but that may be because the pump was not being powered at the same time I was looking at the software?

I'll check that again the next time I connect it.

I made some additions to the radiator/fans assembly of the H100i.

I put Filter type Grills on the air-inlet side of radiator (second picture)

(attached with thumb-screws for easy removal and cleaning)

and put wire finger-protector type Grills on the fan outlet side.

I made the mounting brackets from aluminum-angle and painted them black to match case and radiator.

(brackets are between fans and radiator, and are notched for good airflow)

I also drilled holes in side-cover of the case for the hoses and fan-wires to go through.

See pics:

Sweet! How much does that fan cost? icon_smile.gif

If you are asking about the 200.mm fan, in side of case,

I think it was about $12. plus shipping, on eBay.

And the speaker-grille was about $6. (I got it years ago, so not sure. I think they still make them like that though)

200.mm fans are Great as Both Inlets and Outlets , if your case is large enough to mount them.

I'm waiting for ordered parts to get here, to complete the H100i mod.

The flow-indicator is coming from China, so it may a couple more weeks before I have everything.

( shipments from China have Really Slowed recently, for Some reason ???)

Well, I got up the Nerve to cut the hoses and drain the liquid.

It Only has about half a tea-cup of liquid and appears to an Anti-freeze mixture. (has same green color as most Anti-freeze)

I received some of the fittings needed but some are on Back-order,

so reordered from another website, and ordered another flow-indicator,

from another seller in China, as a backup unit in the event something happens to the first one,

since I will need to drill a mounting-hole in it.

Adding longer hoses, to the unit, will also increase the liquid volume,

which I think will increase the cooling capability.

Hi Toppack

Interesting metal-sloyd :-)

Does the liquid need a compressor to cool it down.

How is the coldness distributed in the cabinet?

How about placing the computer cabinet in a freezer- that would probably keep it free from dust too? :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Well, I got up the Nerve to cut the hoses and drain the liquid.

It Only has about half a tea-cup of liquid and appears to an Anti-freeze mixture. (has same green color as most Anti-freeze)

I received some of the fittings needed but some are on Back-order,

so reordered from another website, and ordered another flow-indicator,

from another seller in China, as a backup unit in the event something happens to the first one,

since I will need to drill a mounting-hole in it.

Adding longer hoses, to the unit, will also increase the liquid volume,

which I think will increase the cooling capability.

Hi Solbjerg

Actually, you need to be careful of too much cooling, due to the danger of reaching a dewpoint which could result in moisture being deposited. Also, if you use refrigeration for cooling, you would also need humidifiers, as cold air has a greatly reduced moisture content and becomes very poor as a heat conductor. It is the moisture in the air that creates the cooling, as it heats up as it passes over the hot surface and evaporates, thus removing the heat energy. If the air is too dry it is much less effective as a cooling medium.

Hi Scannan

Thank you for your expertise.

One has to choose the right temperature in the freezer then :-)

My comments are mostly for the imaginative fun :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solbjerg

Actually, you need to be careful of too much cooling, due to the danger of reaching a dewpoint which could result in moisture being deposited. Also, if you use refrigeration for cooling, you would also need humidifiers, as cold air has a greatly reduced moisture content and becomes very poor as a heat conductor. It is the moisture in the air that creates the cooling, as it heats up as it passes over the hot surface and evaporates, thus removing the heat energy. If the air is too dry it is much less effective as a cooling medium.

This one looks interesting if you like the Red color?

See video:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Mineral+Oil+Computer&view=detail&mid=892C27FC0582C7772F55892C27FC0582C7772F55&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR

I like the Blue-ones Better.

Sure takes a Lot of Mineral-oil to fill up that tank! (at about $20. per gallon)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Mineral+Oil+Computer&view=detail&mid=14F1F537D80DFFAEFBC614F1F537D80DFFAEFBC6&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR

I'm thinking about adding a 2nd Pump to H100i cooling system.

Since the pump seems to be the most common point-of-failure.

Two pumps should also make the water move faster and improve cooling.

That computer has a 1000.Watt power-supply so it should handle the added current with no problems.

I've not seen anyone else run 2 pumps but it seems logical to me.

(as long as they are Not right next to each other, in the cooling-line)

And as long as they are Both pumping in the Same Direction. :lol:

Archived