IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Suggestions for Smart Defrag v3

enoskype

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be awesome if we could manually pick what programs, files, or folders we wanted prioritized for the optimization defrag. Not that I think the automatic function should be eliminated but it would be nice to have a deeper level of control of what the user wants to ensure takes priority as well.:-D

Hi Orange and TJB1982 ,

Thanks for your suggestions.

@Orange, please describe your suggestions more clearly in details. Then I can report it to our product team.

@TJB1982, you can pick programs, files, or folders that you wanted to defrag. Please check "+Add file" "Add folder" in the main screen. By the way, could you please tell us why you think the automatic function should be eliminated? You suggestions can help us improve our products.

Thanks for choosing IObit to care your PC.

Hi Orange and TJB1982 ,

Thanks for your suggestions.

@Orange, please describe your suggestions more clearly in details. Then I can report it to our product team.

@TJB1982, you can pick programs, files, or folders that you wanted to defrag. Please check "+Add file" "Add folder" in the main screen. By the way, could you please tell us why you think the automatic function should be eliminated? You suggestions can help us improve our products.

Thanks for choosing IObit to care your PC.

Cicely what I mean with adding folder, programs, etc was for the optimization component of the defrag. Not just to add it to the overall task but to allow us to manually pick what we want prioritized in the placement on the HDD. At the moment smart defrag automatically determine what should be prioritized automatically it would be nice if the user could hand pick there favorite games or programs to be placed for faster access. I knew you could add them to the defrag cue but I'm talking about choosing them for the optimization function of smart defrag.

Explaining exactly what my previous post was about: The way the disk write(creates, deletes files.etc) is what causing fragmentation. Instead of defragmenting every week and tolerating it's fragmentation habit, why not optimize the way it writes?

Let me rephrase that sorry, not the way it writes, where it writes to exactly. Those available sectors could be scattered from previously deleted files which can equal slower performance to new files. Instead of writing randomly where there available sectors (slower performance), there should be a feature called SmartWrite in the next version of Smart Defrag where instead of optimizing after fragmentation happens, it should always be optimizing the disk's writing while the PC is running to prevent fragmentation.

Hi Orange

I took a look at the defragmentation report. By far the most fragmentation comes from "restore" files. Every time the computer is turned on a lot of dll's and restore logs comes into use, the restore logs will be slightly changed (at least with a new date/time), and the available space in the previous location may not have room for this extra information. And consequently it will be necessary to place this "new" information in another location, this will give rise to more fragmentation I think.

My thoughts about continual defragmentation is that the developers probably have tried to do this, but have found that the extra time this would take would defeat the purpose of making the computer run smoother/faster. This must be the reason that the automatic defrag has a low level under which no defragmentation is performed.

Cheers

solbjerg

Let me rephrase that sorry, not the way it writes, where it writes to exactly. Those available sectors could be scattered from previously deleted files which can equal slower performance to new files. Instead of writing randomly where there available sectors (slower performance), there should be a feature called SmartWrite in the next version of Smart Defrag where instead of optimizing after fragmentation happens, it should always be optimizing the disk's writing while the PC is running to prevent fragmentation.

Orange

I do not think it would be feasible to do what you suggest, as it would actually make the writing process slower. The files are written to the next available sector which is available and has sufficient space available. If there are not enough contiguous sectors available, then some of the file may be written to a sector which is in a different area of the disc. If the system were to do an optimisation every time it write, then it would be very slow. Everytime you use your pc there are temporary files stored and there are files deleted and re-written. In order to keep everything contiguous all the time, it would in effect be necessary to do a defrag continuously. Smart Defrag has the Auto Defrag facility which will defrag your machine while you are working, but will only do so if cpu and ram resource is available, so as not to affect system speed.

I can understand what orange is saying but I don't think it is something that can be incorporated into smart defrag. It would be nice if a program assisted windows installers by ensuring that programs were installed in blocks on the hard drive instead of individual files being scattered throughout in the process. Unfortunately I think these faults are too embedded in Windows coding to be corrected by a third party program. I really cannot understand why Microsoft has not solved this issue if you have alot of free space it should put the files together in order in one place but it doesn't. I also think scannon is correct that it would cause more performance loss if there was an extra step in the writing and removing of files :(

Scannan interpreted me wrong. Its not going to be doing an "optimization" every time the system writes, its going to be "optimizing" the system's writing to disk and should be using minimal CPU and memory when the demand for resources are high or as a service running instead of a background program. I know that a PC would be running smooth and faster when resources are available but Disk maintenance is another factor to PC performance too. Not everyone are the idle type when resources are low, and scheduling a defrag is not always reliable since one cannot tell what your going to be doing in the future. PS, I'm only suggesting.

Orange

I did not interpret you wrong. I understand fully what you are suggesting. I am trying to explain to you what actually happens, and how your suggestion would not be feasible. The OS already optimises how it writes to the disc, by trying to make the files contiguous. Nothing more can be done, unless you wish to create a new operating system.

It simply is not feasible to defrag every time you write to the disc, in order keep all files contiguous, and avoid fragmentation. It would take forever to write files to the disc.

So your implying that "it'll be impossible unless creating a new operating system", I have confidence in Iobit. And once again, is it not "defrag every time you write to the disc", its "optimizing the process of files being written to disc". "The OS already optimises how it writes to the disc", if that true, then I wouldn't be seeing Smart Defrag viewing a large file that has been copied with 15423 fragments for an example.

Archived