IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

file shredder

scrd01

Hi all,

in the ASC AV section theres a post re file shredder, dated today..

Cicely answered it

But

if you do not select a file/folder/Recycle bin to shred and the shred empty space is ticked, as if its the only thing you want to do,

the next box is grayed out, So you cant do it.

Roy

Update the easy way to get it to work, put something in the recycle bin and away you go.

Update2

Ran shredder > Recycle bin+Empty space

ONLY path shown was recycle bin did it shred Empty space!

Hi Roy

Thank you!

Good idea to test it, but I suppose the empty space doesn't have a specific address ;-)

How much of your time did it take up?

How much free space have you got? If you use Gutman with 35 overwrites it ought to take a fair amount of time if it has to go trough several hundred GB of empty space and write and delete a zero or some other sign 35 times (  ). (Alt+65532)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi all,

in the ASC AV section theres a post re file shredder, dated today..

Cicely answered it

But

if you do not select a file/folder/Recycle bin to shred and the shred empty space is ticked, as if its the only thing you want to do,

the next box is grayed out, So you cant do it.

Roy

Update the easy way to get it to work, put something in the recycle bin and away you go.

Update2

Ran shredder > Recycle bin+Empty space

ONLY path shown was recycle bin did it shred Empty space!

Hi Buddahfan

In C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\IObit\Advanced SystemCare V5

find main.ini and check if you have these items:

[ContextMenu]

File Undelete=1

File Shredder=1

Fix Shortcut=1

Sweep Privacy=1

System Control=1

System Information=1

Repair Disk=1

Clean Disk=1

Defrag Disk=1

Space Analysis=1

Open File Location=1

Cheers

solbjerg

I don't see "File Shredder" as an option when I right click the Recycle Bin. Is this by design or do I have to do something to place it there?

It also does not show up when I right click a file.

There is no path Documents and Settings\IObit

Documents and Settings always goes down to the user and then downward from there.

There is is no folder for ASCU in the Documents and Settings tree. There are are only folders for

1. All Users\ASC V5, ASC V6

2. Me\AppData\LocalLow\IObit\ASC V6/Main.ini.-->Browser Protection enabled

3. Me\AppData\Roaming\IObit\ASC V5, ASC V6, IMF, IObit Uninstaller, Smart Defrag.

ASC V5 folder under Roaming has a Main.ini but none of that info you posted is listed.

ASC V6 folder under Roaming has a Main.ini file but none of the information you posted is listed.

There is a Main.ini file in C:\Program Files (X86)\IObit\ASC w AV 2013 but no Main.ini file in C:\Program Files (X86)\IObit\ASCU The only thing that is in the Main.ini file under ASC w AV 2013 is something to do with DiskDoctor.

I looks to me like I should uninstall ASCU and then delete all references on my computer to ASC V5, ASC V6 and ASC w AV 2013 except the license file. Do you concur? Or can I just delete all the references and enter the license information for ASC w AV 2013 when I reinstall ASCU?

I do not know what the license file name is.

Hi Buddahfan,

In my XP, the following information is in main.ini @ : C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\IObit\Advanced SystemCare V6

[ContextMenu]

File Undelete=1

File Shredder=1

Fix Shortcut=1

Sweep Privacy=1

System Control=1

System Information=1

Repair Disk=1

Clean Disk=1

Defrag Disk=1

Space Analysis=1

Open File Location=1

I have also added

Antivirus Scan by ASC Ultimate=1

in it, but I don't see any difference. Still "Scan by ASC Antivirus" exists in the right click menu of the files.

Since I had installed all available ASCs when they were released, there are too many remnants from each everywhere.

Also, my intension is to delete all ASC related files in the PC when final Ultimate is released and then install ASC Ultimate, and then enter the license code.

Cheers.

Hi Buddahfan

I am sorry - I used Document and Settings\IObit as a shorthand for:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\IObit\Advanced SystemCare V5 ( and then find main.ini)

But I am still using XP so I do not know the path in other OS's

Have you tried searching for "context menu"

Cheers

solbjerg

There is no path Documents and Settings\IObit

Documents and Settings always goes down to the user and then downward from there.

There is is no folder for ASCU in the Documents and Settings tree. There are are only folders for

1. All Users\ASC V5, ASC V6

2. Me\AppData\LocalLow\IObit\ASC V6/Main.ini.-->Browser Protection enabled

3. Me\AppData\Roaming\IObit\ASC V5, ASC V6, IMF, IObit Uninstaller, Smart Defrag.

ASC V5 folder under Roaming has a Main.ini but none of that info you posted is listed.

ASC V6 folder under Roaming has a Main.ini file but none of the information you posted is listed.

There is a Main.ini file in C:\Program Files (X86)\IObit\ASC w AV 2013 but no Main.ini file in C:\Program Files (X86)\IObit\ASCU The only thing that is in the Main.ini file under ASC w AV 2013 is something to do with DiskDoctor.

I looks to me like I should uninstall ASCU and then delete all references on my computer to ASC V5, ASC V6 and ASC w AV 2013 except the license file. Do you concur? Or can I just delete all the references and enter the license information for ASC w AV 2013 when I reinstall ASCU?

I do not know what the license file name is.

I un-hid all my computer's hidden files including protected OS files. I gave myself persmissions where needed in order to access the unhidden protected OS files.

I then did a visual search for Main.ini in all the logical places it should be located in the Documents and Settings tree as well as in the Program Files (x86) tree and the Program Data tree. I also did a search for Main.ini using "Search Everything" I could not locate a Main.ini file with the information you posted.

I don't believe I have a Main.ini file on the one computer I checked that has the information you posted that should be in the Main.ini file

I don't think I missed a Main.ini file.

There are two IObit folders under C:\Program Data\IObit\ One is ASC V5 and the other ASC V6. Neither of those has a Main.ini file.

I believe I have checked all the areas where the Main.ini file should be located i.e. under Users\Me\Documents and Settings, under Users\All Users\Documents and Settings, under Program Files (x86) and under Program Data but could not find a Main.ini file with the information you posted.

Unfortunately I do not have an application that will allow me to do a global search for text within files unless Windows Search willd do that. I don't know if Windows Search will do that or not since I don't use it as it is a resource hog.

There are several main.ini files under C:\Program Files (X86)\IObit\

(and sub-directories)

on this computer, which has ASC-5 and Toolbox-1.2.

(It also has several other main.ini files but i don't think any of those are related to IObit software)

There are several main.ini files under C:\Program Files (X86)\IObit\

(and sub-directories)

on this computer, which has ASC-5 and Toolbox-1.2.

I have looked three times through all of the IObit folders with hidden folders turned off including Windows Protected OS folders and can find nothing in any *.ini folder like was mentioned above. I found four or five *.ini folders under an ASC V5, ASC V6, ASC w AV 2013 and ASCU top level folder. None of those four or five *.ini folders contain the information.

I located those *.ini folders both visually by looking through all the folders under C:\Program Files (x86)\, C:\Program Files\ C:\Program Data\ C:\Users\*.* and then down all the limbs of the tree for an IObit folder and by using "Search Everything" utility program. Both methods found the exact same *.ini folders in the exact same locations.

I may have missed that file but at this point I am more inclined to believe that there is no *.ini folder on my C drive with the informaton posted above. Now it could be that one of my file cleaning programs deleted it but at this point I am not going to reinstall ASCU Beta 1 and have to manually go through all the settings to configure them to my personal preferences.

So far no one has been able to tell me exactly where that *.ini file should be located in W7-SP1 x64. When someone gives me that exact location I will look again.8:)

Hi buddahfan!

at this point I am not going to reinstall ASCU Beta 1 and have to manually go through all the settings to configure them to my personal preferences.

I can certainly understand and respect this! (I have read your other posts);-)

But you realize you may have a corrupt install... but maybe not... aren't you thrilled with beta's!

Thank you for testing by the way!!!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I figured I have a corrupt install.

However, we are still in the Beta stage and as far as I have been able to determine Real-time Protection, AV scanning, Care and Tools from the GUI work.

So I will wait for the RTM version of ASCU to be available before I clean everything up. The reason is because based upon past experiences with Beta software the best way to go from Beta to RTM is to uninstall the Beta clean up all the relevant directories, registry and then install the RTM version.

As long as the major features of ASCU are working I really don't want to go through two cleanups of ASC on three computers in maybe several months or less. Would you if you really didn't have to?:-)

P.S. Given that I agree that I have a corrupt Beta install I will try and refrain from commenting on which Beta features work and which don't work.8-)

Hi All,

Right stuck mozilla V15, (39MB) into recycle bin, selected shred Gutman (X35) and shred empty space.

took less than 10 seconds thats not right. 270GB free space

Roy

Hi Roy,

It should be impossible. Our File Shredder can't reach that quick speed at present.

Gutman will shred your files 35 times. You will see current progress bar repeats 35 times. Normally, it will take a very longer time.

Could you please shredd a useless file again to see whether it works normally?

test results

Hi Cicely,

tranferred GB 3.5 beta download to recycle bin.

Selected Gutman mode

Clear recycle bin + empty space

IT took 2minutes.

As previously stated Recyle bin was the only path shown.

Roy

Sweep bar only ran once

Hi Buddahfan

I tried with an old ashampoo snap in file >20MB - I used Gutman (35) -

duration about 5 minutes.

Both progress bars followed each othe exactly and only ran once.

Free space was ticked too!

Cheers

solbjerg

I figured I have a corrupt install.

However, we are still in the Beta stage and as far as I have been able to determine Real-time Protection, AV scanning, Care and Tools from the GUI work.

So I will wait for the RTM version of ASCU to be available before I clean everything up. The reason is because based upon past experiences with Beta software the best way to go from Beta to RTM is to uninstall the Beta clean up all the relevant directories, registry and then install the RTM version.

As long as the major features of ASCU are working I really don't want to go through two cleanups of ASC on three computers in maybe several months or less. Would you if you really didn't have to?:-)

P.S. Given that I agree that I have a corrupt Beta install I will try and refrain from commenting on which Beta features work and which don't work.8-)

Hi Buddahfan

I tried with an old ashampoo snap in file >20MB - I used Gutman (35) -

duration about 5 minutes.

Both progress bars followed each othe exactly and only ran once.

Free space was ticked too!

Cheers

solbjerg

Don't understand why you addressed the post to me. Anyway I now clean the Recycle Bin with CCleaner which also has Gutman:-) plus "Wipe Alternate Data Streams" and "Wipe Cluster Tips" options

Archived