IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Back UP-back up back upBac------------

itsmejjj

Hi Ted. Thanks for your tip. I'll give it a try next time. I just never used that feature. Do you save it to your desk top?
Hi, Gary,

It's so easy. Save the Definition file wherever you like. Just click it and away you go, no need to open Macrium or do anything else.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, Max,

I also backup to an external 160 GB Seagate FreeAgent Go Hard Disk Drive like yours. Does your one have all the CEEDO software installed and if so, do you use it?

Ted- When I installed my Seagate FreeAgent Extreme 1.5 TB Firewire Drive I got rid of all that backup software primarily because it is designed to regularly backup from the drive computer's C drive to the Seagate drive and I save everything directly to the Seagate drive bypassing the C drive which only contains programs and the Vista OS.

Ted and garybear- I am about to make an image of the C drive and save it to the Seagate 1.5 TB firewire drive will Reflect have any problem recognizing it when running the Rescue CD seeing as how it does recognize it now under Vista? Would it be advisable to also save an additional image of the C drive in my Western Digital 250 GB USB Drive? I also have a 100 GB partition on my C drive that Acronis used before I uninstalled it can I put it to some good use with Macrium Reflect?

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/Seagate15TB.png

~Maxx~

Hi there, Max,

When I installed my Seagate FreeAgent Extreme 1.5 TB Firewire Drive I got rid of all that backup software
Okay, I think I'll do the same as I never use it anyway.

Using Macrium Reflect, I create a single image file which contains my C: drive and D: drive with my Internal E: drive as the destination. The resulting image is about 30gbs. If I get the urge, I then use another free backup tool named: Karen's Replicator to copy the image to my Seagate external drive. Macrium would do the job too, but the free version doesn't allow me to overwrite the old Image.

I've got it down to a fine art. I have a Backup folder which shows on my Start Menu. It contains shortcuts to my BackUp Image, My Macrium Definition file and my Karen's Replicator Definition file.

To do my backup: For a start I delete the old Image file, because Macrium's free version won't overwrite it. ( It only takes a few seconds). I then click the Macrium Definition file and when it's done it's job I click the Karen's Replicator Definition file. All done, no hassle.

When I first installed Macrium Reflect I created a Rescue Disc and a BartPE disc and then I tested them. The images were detected on both drives. ( I have XP Home BTW).

Unlike Gary, I've never had to restore an image, yet (and shudder at the thought of it), but he's braving the unknown and showing us the way. Good on you, Gary!

BTW. I tried Acronis for a while, but could never see the point of storing an image on the C: drive. If you lose your HDD, you've also lost your image.

Ted- When I installed my Seagate FreeAgent Extreme 1.5 TB Firewire Drive I got rid of all that backup software primarily because it is designed to regularly backup from the drive computer's C drive to the Seagate drive and I save everything directly to the Seagate drive bypassing the C drive which only contains programs and the Vista OS.

Ted and garybear- I am about to make an image of the C drive and save it to the Seagate 1.5 TB firewire drive will Reflect have any problem recognizing it when running the Rescue CD seeing as how it does recognize it now under Vista? Would it be advisable to also save an additional image of the C drive in my Western Digital 250 GB USB Drive? I also have a 100 GB partition on my C drive that Acronis used before I uninstalled it can I put it to some good use with Macrium Reflect?

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx. If Vista recognizes your Seagate I don't see a problem. It will take a lot longer to create a backup image on your Western Digital and your partition. It takes 9 minutes to create a image on my Seagate and over an hour to create an image on my slave drive and my partition. I have an image on them just for safety, but don't keep an up dated image on them. I think Ted does. Sounds like your getting there. Live well friend.{garybear}PS Looks like I don't have an image on my partition, just Seagate and slave.

Had no chose

Unlike Gary, I've never had to restore an image, yet (and shudder at the thought of it), but he's braving the unknown and showing us the way. Good on you, Gary!

BTW. I tried Acronis for a while, but could never see the point of storing an image on the C: drive. If you lose your HDD, you've also lost your image.

Hi guys. Gary braved the unknown because he didn't have a chose. I lost every thing and Macrium brought me back from the dead. That's why I am so anxious to help others. Ted is the reason I have Macrium and I'll always owe him for that. Believe me guys you can restore your OS on your working drive in minutes, you will not lose any thing. Every thing will be just like it was the day you created that image. It is very simple and a wizzard leads you through the process. I have restored my OS to my working drive and also to a cold HD and not lost one bit of data. I also tried acronis but there were to many bells and whistles for me. I love my Macrium. I'm like you Ted I see no good reason to create an image to my working drive. If it dies you might not be able to get to the image. The only thing that can stop you is a fire. You have the best protection I know of. Live well my friends. {gary}

Found this

I found this while screwing around on the net. There are three pages that take you threw all the steps you need to use Macrium Free. The last page you will need only if you restore an image.http://www.tipsfor.us/2008/10/17/ghost-windows-for-free-with-macrium-reflect-a-visual-guide/3/

I stayed up late getting Macrium Reflect set up and I must say I was impressed rith this program's 300 Mbps Imaging speed...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/300MBps.png

I made Images of my C drive for both the 1.5 TB Seagate drive and the 1 TB Western Digital drive each of which took about 20 minutes and were about 11 GB using medium compression.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/Imagein10min.png

I did not back up the D Recovery drive because it is filled with HP crapware and NIS 2008 which includes the infamous Live Update which is so hard to remove that it can crash the computer if not done correctly.

Next I burned my disc backup onto 3 Verbatim DVD-R blanks using high compression. I'm considering doing another set at Medium compression in the near future...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/ReflectDVDBurn41min.png

While I was burning the first DVD I went online to get a product key so that I would be able to download the Microsoft Windows PE Installer for the Vista OS and after I had filled out all of the information at the precise moment when I clicked to conclude the transaction the Reflect GUI came up and notified me that I needed to put in another DVD-R and in an instant of absolutely perfect timing blocked the confirmation giving me time to put another DVD-R into the burner! With enough skill and knowledge you can do almost anything with a computer, but to me perfect timing like this is a gift that can not be orchestrated nor consciously manipulated!

The 107 MB Windows PE Installer for use with the Vists OS requires a paid version of Macrium Reflect due to the Microsoft licensing fee and is only downloadable once under the product key with an extra charge for additional downloads. No pressure here...I got out a blank Ativa Black on Black CD-R and moments later...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/RescueCDCreated.png

All in all this was a very smooth process thanks to the brilliant folks at Macrium who have made it extremely easy to go through the steps needed to create backup images, store them on local drives, burn backup CD or DVD's and create the type of Rescue Disk that your OS requires.

~Maxx~

Its looks like you are good to go

Hi Maxx." All in all this was a very smooth process thanks to the brilliant folks at Macrium who have made it extremely easy to go through the steps needed to create backup images, store them on local drives, burn backup CD or DVD's and create the type of Rescue Disk that your OS requires."( I guess you are satisfied and ready to restore an image, glad it all worked out for you. Why do you need the DVD's? when you have a Seagate? Are you able to boot with your rescue CD?? If the answer is yes, looks like your good to go. Live well friend.{garybear}

garybear- I really appreciate all of your help getting the Macrium Reflect System Restore and Recovery program in place in that the Microsoft System Restore failed 4 times in a row the last time I tried using it. It is this kind of negative experience with System Restore that led me to create a backup image on the Seagate drive as well as on the Western Digital drive and possibly also an uncompressed Image on the now empty 100 GB partition on my C drive as well as opt for a set of backup discs as yet another possible alternative even if it would require altering the BIOS in order to boot from the CD/DVD drive.

Now that I have the excellent Macrium Reflect Image Backup, Restore and Recovery Program in place with the exact Images of this computer which I put 1,000's of hours into programming and tweaking to run 40% faster and 300% more efficiently than it did when it was 'new' hopefully before a situation arises where I would be required to implement the Image Backup I plan on taking full advantage of all the plentiful information available on the Macrium Forums so that I can hopefully perfect my skills in Reflect-Fu and be deftly prepared when the time comes to restore an Image!

~Maxx~

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/ReflectService18MB.jpg

This is the Sysinternal Process Explorer's measurement of the resources used by ReflectService.exe where the periodic I/O usage spikes are 1.8 KB each.

The constant 1.8 MB of RAM being used by ReflectService.exe is 13,888% more efficient than Acronis True Image when it was running on my computer which I find exponentially acceptable!

~Maxx~

I stayed up late getting Macrium Reflect set up

well shows you and i how important it is ! to have a backed up system!

i downloaded the program-tested done a full image -total size 175 gig--

took 1hour 10 mi nits-- big file--

compared to the os -the same -is 210gig--

same drive-2 full back ups ? we are safe--only thing cant make a boot disk

with reflect! any ideas ? my OS it did--the pe thing will not work on this Os--

only xp to vista-i did read thy have one for the beta version but cant get it!

itsmejjj---

The 107 MB Windows PE Installer vista-----looking for win 7 version----

I searched through the excellent tutorials and help guides provided by Macrium, but I could not find any information concerning the possible placement of a backup Image on the now unused partition of my computer's hard drive where the Acronis backup image was once stored. Do any of the seasoned Macrium Reflect users here know if the Rescue CD can recognize a backup Image placed on a partition of the computer's hard drive.

~Maxx~

I searched through the excellent tutorials and help guides provided by Macrium, but I could not find any information concerning the possible placement of a backup Image on the now unused partition of my computer's hard drive where the Acronis backup image was once stored. Do any of the seasoned Macrium Reflect users here know if the Rescue CD can recognize a backup Image placed on a partition of the computer's hard drive.

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx. Sorry I'm late answering. I had a little trouble with the old heart and spent a few days in the hospital. Every thing is fine now. To answer your question. I see no reason that Your rescue CD wouldn't recognize that back up just the same as any other back up. The reason I don't make a back up on that partition is if your hard drive dies ,you might no be able to get to it but I don't know that for sure. I used Bart to show options in my screen prints which tells me I could have found a back up in my unused partition on my C drive if I had one there. Hope this helps answer your question. Live well my friend. {gary}

well gentlemen and lady's, it will not work for me on win7---

i installed it went fine- made a back up went fine -one can even see the files--

on the image-draw from it--copy from it --

but when trying to make a boot disk -hit the wall--something about a PE---

or lune x--nothing about win 7--it cannot restore a c.> drive--our replace the image!!

using this OS --on xp works 100%--so back to using the OS inbuilt back up program -that works tastefully--baring the image is lager than reflect

but its excellent in repairing a messed up c:> drive --

itsmejjj

i installed it went fine- made a back up went fine -one can even see the files--

or lune x--nothing about win 7--it cannot restore a c.> drive--our replace the image!!

using this -on xp works 100%--

so back to using the 7 OS inbuilt back up program -that works tastefully--baring the image is lager than reflect

itsmejjj

using this OS --on xp works 100%--so back to using the OS inbuilt back up program -that works tastefully--baring the image is lager than reflect

itsmejjj

Thanks for your post jjj. I'm sorry Macrium didn't work for you. If you would post your problem on the Macrium forum, I know they would answer you. You don't have to have a paid version to get answers. I would also check back with Macrium; if you really like the program, because they are always making up grades to the program. I want to thank you for trying and testing Macrium. Your input will be very helpful to all Macrium users. My goal is to get every one to back up their PC with some kind of program which I know was the reason you started this thread. I'm sure there are a lot of good backup programs out there to use to back up your PC. I have had excellent success with Macrium and wanted to share with my friends on the forum. I want to thank you for trying and sharing your experience with Macrium. I'm sure it will help others. Live well my friend and thank you very much for all your time .{garybear}

Thanks my friends(Get a back up and use it)

I just spent the last few days in the hospital with problems with the old heart. I'm doing fine now. I now have a back up for my heart and my PC. I would just like to summarize my thoughts on how important it is to have a program that will back up your OS. One that will restore your OS on your active drive and also one that will restore your OS on a brand new cold HD. If you fail to have a program like that, you are flirting with a big repair bill in the future. You can take my word for that. I wish there was a way I could get people to believe how important this is. There are many good programs that will do this. Find one and use it please. As jjj has said in this thread don't wait another day. Thank you jjj for starting this thread so I could add my 2 cents. Maybe some one should start a thread and ask members what they use to back up their OS. This might draw attention to how important it is to have a back up program. No one should be without one. Live well all my friends on the forum. I love everyone of you. The last few days have made me realize that we never know when it will be the last time we can tell our friends we love them so please for give my mushy sentiments. This forum has added so very much to my life. Thank you forum.{Gary}

Hi gary

Hope the old ticker will thump merrily for many more years!!

Nice to see you give good advice here too!!

All the best!

Cheers

solbjerg

I just spent the last few days in the hospital with problems with the old heart. I'm doing fine now. I now have a back up for my heart and my PC. I would just like to summarize my thoughts on how important it is to have a program that will back up your OS. One that will restore your OS on your active drive and also one that will restore your OS on a brand new cold HD. If you fail to have a program like that, you are flirting with a big repair bill in the future. You can take my word for that. I wish there was a way I could get people to believe how important this is. There are many good programs that will do this. Find one and use it please. As jjj has said in this thread don't wait another day. Thank you jjj for starting this thread so I could add my 2 cents. Maybe some one should start a thread and ask members what they use to back up their OS. This might draw attention to how important it is to have a back up program. No one should be without one. Live well all my friends on the forum. I love everyone of you. The last few days have made me realize that we never know when it will be the last time we can tell our friends we love them so please for give my mushy sentiments. This forum has added so very much to my life. Thank you forum.{Gary}

garybear- I am saddened to hear that you were in the hospital and I'm very glad that you are back with us here on the Forum. While you were away I was studying up on the Macrium Reflex Imaging Software capabilities and found that I could have avoided the full System Recovery that I did a year ago if I would have been as equipped as I now am with the Reflect Rescue CD that has the Boot Repair tools capable of rebuilding the MBR and avoiding the horror of having to Recover the System to the horrible crapware that is contained in the my computer's HP Recovery Drive.

Concerning your advise about placing a disc Image backup in the currently empty partition of my C drive you are right that Reflect does see this partition and I am now trying to decide now on whether I should put a 11 GB full medium compressed or a 24 GB full uncompressed Image backup into this 100 GB partition, what are your thoughts?

Thank you so much for opening up the gateway to this new world of Image Restoration and Recovery for so many of us!

~Maxx~

Hi solbjerg. Hi maxx Thanks for your kind words. Maxx I don't have any thoughts on compression. I have always used the default option (medium). I really don't understand compression that well. Maybe jjj or someone else can give you an opinion on that. I'm glad that you like the program. I'm glad I could help you with it. I bet that you could get an answer on Macrium forum about compression. PS I think my heart will be just fine. It's just one of those getting old things. I have some blood pressure drugs and nitro if I need it. It might cut in to old Canadian Hunter a little LOL Live well my friends and thank you.{garybear}

garybear- The morning after I installed and set up Macrium Reflect my Vista computer which usually starts in about 55-65 seconds took 105 seconds to get to the desktop. Naturally I thought that this lengthening of the start up time was connected to the installation of Macrium Reflect, but after 5 days of slow start up times this morning the computer started and reached the desktop in 64 seconds so it looks as though things are back to normal and I am now thinking that Reflect was not responsible for those 5 mornings of slow start up times.

~Maxx~

PS- As soon as the backlog of Shadow Copies builds up sufficiently in my computer I am going to use Macruim Reflect to do a backup to the now unused 100 GB partition on my C drive that Acronis True Image once used. :wink:

garybear- The morning after I installed and set up Macrium Reflect my Vista computer which usually starts in about 55-65 seconds took 105 seconds to get to the desktop. Naturally I thought that this lengthening of the start up time was connected to the installation of Macrium Reflect, but after 5 days of slow start up times this morning the computer started and reached the desktop in 64 seconds so it looks as though things are back to normal and I am now thinking that Reflect was not responsible for those 5 mornings of slow start up times.

~Maxx~

PS- As soon as the backlog of Shadow Copies builds up sufficiently in my computer I am going to use Macruim Reflect to do a backup to the now unused 100 GB partition on my C drive that Acronis True Image once used. :wink:

Hi Maxx.I don't think Macrium had any thing to do with slow start ups. That is the very reason I hesitate to suggest programs to my friends. I have suggested programs to my friends before and they swear the program messed up their PC. I have learned not to suggest programs to them any more. The biggest complaint I get is ,that program slowed down my PC. They get all hot before I can explain its probably not the program at all causing problems. Some times my PC is very fast and some times it can be rather slow. There are a ton of things that cause that to happen. You were smart to wait before getting to excited. PC's have a mind of their own and do strange things some times that no one can explain I am by no means an expert and some times I really get flustered. I have macrium and windows restore to earlier time, so not much worries me any more. If I got upset every time my Pc was a little slow, I would be crazy by now. Macrium will be good to you my friend. I know it works. Live well my friend.[gary]

Archived