IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Back UP-back up back upBac------------

itsmejjj

jjj- This is from your very first post on this thread...

not later stop what you are doing NOW--make a OS boot disk --back up the drive ..have the boot disk on Top of your PC .clearly named its version and os used --back up your drivers-on a cd--

your OS on a CD --and your spare drive-if you have one -do not relay on a drive

only --have a fully backed up version on cd--you probly need 4 or 5 or even more --

do this now!!!!!

itsmejjj

I just happen to be the only one who listened to you who didn't have a backup system in place and then found an Image Backup Program and used it to make 4 or 5 Backups just as you instructed and what do I get for taking heed to your plea and posting about how thrilled I was with following jjj's advise???

I get told to shut up and forget about continuing my discussion on the IObit Forum about the fantastic results I have had with doing the Image Backups that saved me several full days of having to back up my computer manually here.

I truly feel sorry for anyone else who follows my poor example and takes your advise to heart and follows it to the letter for no doubt you will also shout them down in derision for listening to you because you have heard grown tired and bored of hearing of the success they have had as a result of taking your advise just as you have done with me repeatedly on this thread.

~Maxx~

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

something i found somersaulting and nix us up-, what can be interpreted as wrong--

depending on race or creed--for ME the

-- English is a crazy language at times

There is no egg in eggplant

nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins

weren't invented in England or French fries in France. Sweetmeats are

candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.

We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that

quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is

neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't

groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the

plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index,

2 indices?

Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend, that you

comb through annals of history but not a single annal? If you have a bunch

of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preacher praught? If a vegetarian eats

vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? If you wrote a letter, perhaps

you bote your tongue?

Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum

for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and

play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that

run and feet that smell? Park on driveways and drive on parkways?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and

wise guy are opposites? How can overlook and oversee be opposites, while

quite a lot and quite a few are alike? How can the weather be hot as hell

one day and cold as hell another.

Have you noticed that we talk about certain things only when they are

absent? Have you ever seen a horseful carriage or a strapful gown? Met a

sung hero or experienced requited love? Have you ever run into someone who

was combobulated, gruntled, ruly or peccable? And where are all those

people who ARE spring chickens or who would ACTUALLY hurt a fly?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house

can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out

and in which an alarm clock goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the

creativity of the human race (which, of course, isn't a race at all). That

is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are

out, they are invisible. And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but

when I wind up this essay, I end it.

that can happen when misunderstood !

itsmejjj

jjj- This is from your very first post on this thread...

I just happen to be the only one who listened to you who didn't have a backup system in place and then found an Image Backup Program and used it to make 4 or 5 Backups just as you instructed and what do I get for taking heed to your plea and posting about how thrilled I was with following jjj's advise???

I get told to shut up and forget about continuing my discussion on the IObit Forum about the fantastic results I have had with doing the Image Backups that saved me several full days of having to back up my computer manually here.

I truly feel sorry for anyone else who follows my poor example and takes your advise to heart and follows it to the letter for no doubt you will also shout them down in derision for listening to you because you have heard grown tired and bored of hearing of the success they have had as a result of taking your advise just as you have done with me repeatedly on this thread.

~Maxx~

jjj- I hope that you understood every word of my post. In very plain and simple English I meant it from the heart because it is a tragedy when the teacher abuses his students by scolding them for benefiting from his teachings and yells at them to be silent about the discoveries he has led them to which serves as the beginning of a dark storm over their quest for knowledge...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/DarkStorm.jpg

~Maxx~

-----------------------------------------------------------I hope that you understood every word of my post. I meant it from the heart because it is a tragedy when the teacher abuses his students by scolding them for benefiting from his teachings and yells at them to be silent about the discoveries he has led them to which brings a dark storm over their quest for knowledge.

no sir don't stop ! i am learning how to be a smart ass at English! - ! but you and i know what this is about

this is truly fascinating -one thing i know now .why this has gone down the road it has -your like a bull dog on a bone -cant let go!

i a mastiff on the other end cant let go --so now what --?

we keep this going every time you post i answer ? ok -but lets make shure its cival i think thy call it--see the light Mmm interesting!!

Hi jjj

Egging us on to more study?

Old geezers like us goosing the geese to - better performance??

What makes the study of languages very interesting/amusing!

Cheerio

solbjerg

something i found somersaulting and nix us up-, what can be interpreted as wrong--

depending on race or creed--for ME the

-- English is a crazy language at times

There is no egg in eggplant

nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins

weren't invented in England or French fries in France. Sweetmeats are

candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.

We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that

quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is

neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't

groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the

plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index,

2 indices?

Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend, that you

comb through annals of history but not a single annal? If you have a bunch

of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preacher praught? If a vegetarian eats

vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? If you wrote a letter, perhaps

you bote your tongue?

Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum

for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and

play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that

run and feet that smell? Park on driveways and drive on parkways?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and

wise guy are opposites? How can overlook and oversee be opposites, while

quite a lot and quite a few are alike? How can the weather be hot as hell

one day and cold as hell another.

Have you noticed that we talk about certain things only when they are

absent? Have you ever seen a horseful carriage or a strapful gown? Met a

sung hero or experienced requited love? Have you ever run into someone who

was combobulated, gruntled, ruly or peccable? And where are all those

people who ARE spring chickens or who would ACTUALLY hurt a fly?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house

can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out

and in which an alarm clock goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the

creativity of the human race (which, of course, isn't a race at all). That

is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are

out, they are invisible. And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but

when I wind up this essay, I end it.

that can happen when misunderstood !

itsmejjj

Hi jjj

Old geezer like me egging you on to more study :-)

By the way the eggplant is the same family as potatoes, - at one time thought to be deadly poisonous -, one variety was whitish and resembled a goose egg. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Egging us on to more study?

Old geezers like us goosing the geese to - better performance??

got me --i do not understand --ehhhh

itsmejjj

jjj- You willingly turn your back on those who have taken your advise and rebuke them into silence and when they protest you refuse to listen and make light of their plight and endevor to belittle them by reacting in jest. Everyone who reads this sir will see right through your sharade and know the game you play and that it all for your amusement no matter what the cost to others.

Maxx~

solbjerg- jjj has told me that I am not welcomed to post on this thread because he is bored with my talking about my Image Backup experiences when this was was the first time that I had been able to do a System Restore in almost a year. I apologize that I am protesting this, but this is a whole new level of consiousness for me in computing and I am very eager to share more about all I have learned.

I have been trying to break through his orders to be silent about my new discovery, but all he does is respond by referring to my heart felt pleas as smart ass English. What would you suggest I do to get through to someone who refuses to respond in a civil manner or are we just to continue to post off topic and continue to ignore the white elephant in the room?

~Maxx~

Hi jjj

The word language comes from the Latin word lingua.

Very, very many English words have Latin roots.

Cheers

solbjerg

ahhhh ok got --is that in your language use daily?

here look at this word langwich the sound-- yet its spelling is language -

where is the gauge which is use as i understand it as a guess on a length of something! ?

ehhhhh itsmejjj

Hi maxx

Do you know the Bookshelf Basic? Do you have a comment on that perhaps? Would be welcomed by me, - after all you have been teaching English.

It is a worthy subject - as is backup (ask gary :-) )

Cheers

solbjerg

solbjerg- jjj has told me that I am not welcomed to post on this thread because he is bored with my talking about my Image Backup experiences when this was was the first time that I had been able to do a System Restore in almost a year. I apologize that I am protesting this, but this is a whole new level of consiousness for me in computing and I am very eager to share more about all I have learned.

I have been trying to break through his orders to be silent about my new discovery, but all he does is respond by referring to my heart felt pleas as smart ass English. What would you suggest I do to get through to someone who refuses to respond in a civil manner or are we just to continue to post off topic and continue to ignore the white elephant in the room?

~Maxx~

solbjerg- I have no knowledge of the Microsoft Office 97 Resource Kit. I had Microsoft Office installed on my computer when I got it, but I never used it so I uninstalled it. As far as English goes I have always been amazed by your excellent English proficiency which to me seems indistinguishable from a native when read and leaves me wondering if you learned it while you were here in the States or if you are just a natural linguist?

I'm still concerned about a fellow member who just became a member this last July telling me where I can and can not post and I was wondering if that kind of thing flies on the IObit Forum because I have much more to share about my Image Backup experiences on this thread which I have invested so much of my time in already.

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

I was thinking mainly of the version that was shipped with Office 97.

I know that you can buy the whole package if sufficiently interested, but the version from Office 97 was free in the US Cd version.

You can write wherever you like, but we cannot force anyone to answer you though. :-)

I will however - if I know anything about the subject - sometimes even if I don't :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

solbjerg- Threr seems to be quite a variety of subjects that Bookshelf Basic covers is there a particular area of the series that you are interested in? Which also brings up the subject of your excellent English proficiency which to me seems indistinguishable from a native speaker which leaves me wondering if you learned it while you were here in the States or are you just a natural linguist?

I'm still concerned about a fellow member who just became a member this last July telling me where I can and can not post and I was wondering if that kind of thing flies on the IObit Forum because I have much more to share about my Image Backup experiences on this thread which I have invested so much of my time in already.

~Maxx~

Hi MaxxYou can write wherever you like, but we cannot force anyone to answer you though. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Now that is very humorous because it is so true! I cant even Imagine how one would go about obtaining 12 year old software, but from what my Dad who is an author tells me Word '98 is far superior to the current version and offers a myriad of possibilities that no longer exist in the modern software.

Thank you for your advise I now feel...

FREE AGAIN

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

When I was reading up on English in my 8 grade for the examination, I decided to read "Gone with the Wind" instead and scored a fine A level there.

After that I have read thousands of books in English through the years.

My two years at the Thule Air Base in Greenland gave me a fairly good speaking proficiency too. A bit rusty now, but comes back quickly if I am in situations where I have to speak English.

My brother scored the highest marks in English during his entire time in school because he had sung "Good King Wenceslas" in class. :-)

We used to sing that song during Christmas at home - some other English Christmas carols too.

We still do with our families at Chritsmas or if the subject comes up!!

(by the way I have made several of those into karaoke files)

Our father was a teacher.

Cheers

solbjerg

solbjerg- I have no knowledge of the Microsoft Office 97 Resource Kit. I had Microsoft Office installed on my computer when I got it, but I never used it so I uninstalled it. As far as English goes I have always been amazed by your excellent English proficiency which to me seems indistinguishable from a native when read and leaves me wondering if you learned it while you were here in the States or if you are just a natural linguist?

~Maxx~

Now that is very humorous because it is so true! I cant even Imagine how one would go about obtaining 12 year old software, but from what my Dad who is an author tells me Word '98 is far superior to the current version and offers a myriad of possibilities that no longer exist in the modern software.

what a gift to have! "Dad who is an author" that ex planes a lot

you one lucky fellow -to have parents with such a gift!

i mean this -my dad was a army man all his life--yes like father like son the old story--

12 year old soft ware--- must have a look -there is a chance i may have it --i got heaps! have to hunt my shed--and check --we got just about every program we could lay our hands on from dos .to windows 7---In Microsoft Office 97 pack (US version) i seem to remember this program --yes sure i have

itsmejjj

Hi jjj

Well army life is usually an easy chore, - waiting around most of the time, - this can be utilized for studying :-)

I read around 100000 pages during my stint in the Danish Civil Defense back in the start of the sixties. :-)

The Office 97 has to be the US version, they didn't ship Bookshelf Basic in other language versions to my knowledge.

Old software is often good, the new versions usually build on previous versions, and they then just snip something and paste other things, no one knows the whole program anymore I think, - this makes for bloated programs.

I remember a fellow writing a macro for finding all Easter Day dates, and he utilized several things from several other macroes. He made a macro that had 6 errors per 100 years and it filled 3 pages of commands.

My brother wrote another with no errors and just used three lines!

Cheers

solbjerg

what a gift to have! "Dad who is an author" that ex planes a lot

you one lucky fellow -to have parents with such a gift!

i mean this -my dad was a army man all his life--yes like father like son the old story--

12 year old soft ware--- must have a look -there is a chance i may have it --i got heaps! have to hunt my shed--and check --we got just about every program we could lay our hands on from dos .to windows 7---In Microsoft Office 97 pack (US version) i seem to remember this program --yes sure i have

itsmejjj

solbjerg- I think that we all learn in different ways and I say that because although my family is German when I took German language classes in high school it was the worst grade I ever received! Just 5 years later when I got off the plane in Tokyo I knew no Japanese, but within 3 months of traveling around Japan with nothing more than a pocket dictionary I had picked up fluent conversational Japanese and by that time I was helping other Gygenes learn Japanese.

By being out among the people and having to learn to survive turned out to be the best environment for me to learn a language because I had to use it every day all day long.

As it turned out Japanese was a comparatively easy language to learn because it has a monotonal pronunciation as does English, but when I got to Taiwan I was confronted with a language that has 5 distinct tonal pronunciations for any given phonetic combination which made it virtually impossible to pick up without formal classroom training. So I spent almost an entire year at the Shr Fan Da Shwei Quo Yu Jong Shin learning Formal Mandarin Chinese. As an example of how tricky this language is the school I attended is called Shr Fan Da Shwei which is the Teachers University but the common joke is to call it the Chr Fan Da Shwei which translates as the Eating University.

Learning Mandarin Chinese was nothing but brutal and I found myself studying continually up to 10 hours a day with not a single letter of the English alphabet to refer to. I studied so long in such poor lighting that for the first time in my life I had to wear glasses and to this day my eyesight has never recovered. There was a great degree of satisfaction though learning a language that over 1 billion people speak to a level of fluency that over the phone I was indistinguishable from a native speaker even to those Chinese who had migrated from the Mainland and spoke the same Formal Beijing Dialect that I had learned in class.

During my studies and after finishing my schooling I taught English as a Foreign Language (aka ESL) at a local Supplementary School known as a Bu Shi Ban where most of my students were university graduates who were studying to pass the TOEFL tests so that they could qualify for Visas to leave Taiwan on business. While there I also picked up several private tutorials which ranges from groups of engineers, to managers of large facories in the Export Processing Zone like Hitachi Electric to a construction and real estate mogul who eventually became Godfather to my two sons who were born there.

It was an exciting 5 years that I spent in Asia and I've never met such hospitable and kind people anywhere else and the experience has certainly changed the rest of my life for the better. Their Culture is rich in and deep tradition and so are the people and I would encourage any of my fellow Americans who are reading this to find out for themselves first hand just how these marvelous people from such ancient cultures are.

These days here in Portland every once in awhile I still come across an Asian who speaks Mandarin Chinese and it still drops their jaw when they hear a Caucasian speak to them in their own language and it makes all the effort I made those many years ago still worth while. :-D

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

I take off my hat to you!! I should have attended one of your classes. Chinese is very hard to learn just reading about it, - same goes for several other languages by the way, Thai for example or Eskimo/Inuit.

German is fairly easy for me - I use to say that it is just like Danish, except for sentence structure and all those sch' - Danish with sch added to every word :-)

But it wasn't a popular language after the war, and I think it suffered from that, also the teacher's focusing on grammer was detrimental to learning and popularity.

In English there are so many exceptions that the way we were taught was by speaking it. Much more intelligent approach I think!

My brother speaks some Thai - he is married to one :-)

Much to be said for the method of living there and having to use the language every day. Perhaps I can go to China and learn in my next life :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

solbjerg- I think that we all learn in different ways and I say that because although my family is German when I took German language classes in high school it was the worst grade I ever received! Just 5 years later when I got off the plane in Tokyo I knew no Japanese, but within 3 months of traveling around Japan with nothing more than a pocket dictionary I had picked up fluent conversational Japanese and by that time I was helping other Gygenes learn Japanese.

By being out among the people and having to learn to survive turned out to be the best environment for me to learn a language because I had to use it every day all day long.

As it turned out Japanese was a comparatively easy language to learn because it has a monotonal pronunciation as does English, but when I got to Taiwan I was confronted with a language that has 5 distinct tonal pronunciations for any given phonetic combination which made it virtually impossible to pick up without formal classroom training. So I spent almost an entire year at the Shr Fan Da Shwei Quo Yu Jong Shin learning Formal Mandarin Chinese. As an example of how tricky this language is the school I attended is called Shr Fan Da Shwei which is the Teachers University but the common joke is to call it the Chr Fan Da Shwei which translates as the Eating University.

Learning Mandarin Chinese was nothing but brutal and I found myself studying continually up to 10 hours a day with not a single letter of the English alphabet to refer to. I studied so long in such poor lighting that for the first time in my life I had to wear glasses and to this day my eyesight has never recovered. There was a great degree of satisfaction though learning a language that over 1 billion people speak to a level of fluency that over the phone I was indistinguishable from a native speaker even to those Chinese who had migrated from the Mainland and spoke the same Formal Beijing Dialect that I had learned in class.

During my studies and after finishing my schooling I taught English as a Foreign Language (aka ESL) at a local Supplementary School known as a Bu Shi Ban where most of my students were university graduates who were studying to pass the TOEFL tests so that they could qualify for Visas to leave Taiwan on business. While there I also picked up several private tutorials which ranges from groups of engineers, to managers of large facories in the Export Processing Zone like Hitachi Electric to a construction and real estate mogul who eventually became Godfather to my two sons who were born there.

It was an exciting 5 years that I spent abroad and every once in awhile I'll come across someone who speaks Mandarin Chinese and it still drops their jaw when they hear a Caucasian speak to them in their own language for the very first time and it makes all the effort I made those many years ago still worth while. :-D

~Maxx~

does lamb lamb lamb?

Hi jjj

You post about curiosities made me think of a curious Danish sentence:

Far, får får får? Nej min dreng, får får ikke får, får får lam.

Far (fader) = father

får = gets, sheep, recieves, begets

nej = no

min = my

dreng = boy, son

ikke = not

lam = lamb

An English approximation could be:

Dad, does lamb lamb lamb? No son, lamb doesn't lamb lamb, sheep lamb lamb.

Cheers

solbjerg

to all here -a somber post! by itsmejjj my way of wording!

well, we come from very different backgrounds from what i read! and the way different porters express them self's-

some had it very easy some did it moderate,some did it hard,others almost unbearable,

some of you went to hell and back,some were in heaven and still live like kings-

yes this posting brings back memory's that one only sees in the movies! some of us,;missed the honorifics in life others lived them ,some are maimed -by just plain,accident-others by war,others did it to them self's,,yet here i sit with many walks of life ,race, color,and creed-able to express ,as i am .some have a education ,other were denied this,some have freedom thy take for granted .others would give a leg to be able to enjoy the same-some of us have! and more -yet proud of what thy done-to be able to tell a other -

as thy think-some of us cause pain ,either love,or are loving-some have a funny bone-some never will---some forgive ,yet others never can--

we have high educated and dumbos like myself--that i have no shame in being-this way ,some perfectionists-other just easy -some can joke around others cant- for me life is a ballroom now-

i payed my dues,and when my time comes to face my God,my stance will be tall,proud,with no regrets,even he will say "hi itsmejjj welcome to paradise!" and understand me-like no other can--make no difference as to color ,race or creed--how smart i am ,or even how drum, I may be-to him we are all the same--he will not count any of it -so long as in our self's we are decent humans--words mean nothing to him,and are cheap to write-the meaning of ,them interpreted many ways--but the final word will be his-this i believe-ALL OF YOU ARE DECENT PEOPLE -who have lived and live the some of the above-and i am grateful to share with you ,as i hope you do with me--even in fun and sometimes not so funny! i watched this forum for a near 2 mounties-- before i decide to join-and felt it what i should do -as i saw the many different types one can almost read -are happy easy going-be it in different ways-i love this forum

-and give you a clue ---as to who i am ----!

" surrounded by salt " a vast body of Landward dry ,most times! yet pleasureful,when not--a Elder of a tribe---

-and truly may your GOD bless you--as mine blesses us ! go in peace! always

itsmejjj

solbjerg

is Gronland still part of Danmark I heard a while back they were looking to be independent due to large gas and oil discovered below them.

read a bit about them in the past, they let the prisoners out of prison to work each day as they are short of manpower, yet they have two guards escort a lone murderer to go hunting in his boat!

Hi friends

Hi my friends. I'm just a dumb Okie(Oklahoma). I do not know if I believe in God or not. I see so many terrible things in this life that make me wonder. I lost my father and my sister with cancer when they were only 40. I lost my son, the love of my life, when he was 23. I am a cancer survivor at the moment and have a good life. I see so many terrible things in life every day and wonder, is there really a caring and loving God. It would be great if the whole world shared their wisdom as we do on this forum. I share the same feeling as jjj, I love this forum. Today I'm the windshield; tomorrow maybe the bug. I really enjoyed every ones post on this thread.{garybear} Live well my friends. http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/gandorwig/zzz1003.gif

Archived