IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Registry Cleaner Suggestion

WriterJC

Registry Cleaner Suggestion

Greetings, Solbjerg!

Without "Smart RAM" in the Toolbox (one of ASC's 5-star features), my computer wouldn't function worth a hoot. That's one feature I use frequently to recover RAM in the long hours of researching and writing (the reason for the RAM size), and playing Games to give my re-fried brains a rest. 8:)

Solbjerg, I've found that almost every 'protection' software program differs with the competitors' ... and that includes de-fragging. I use Ccleaner and Auslogics most often. Those two and "Smart De-Frag" each catch items the other two don't. (Under "Care" I keep the 'Privacy Sweep' and 'Junk Files Clean' checked and use them 2-3 times a day, as well as using Explorer's Internet Options to clear the browser cache each time I leave the www. )

Deleting old files and backing up to disk those infrequently used also makes a big difference in having the RAM available ... but I'm sure you know that. :)

Cheers!

Writer JC

Hi Writer :-)

You have a high GHz, do you have any problems concerning RAM?

I have 2.07 GHz and have 1.45 GB RAM - I changed my motherboard in the middle of the zeroes.

Otherwise our setups look alike except that I don't have any Auslogic and do use SmartDefrag :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Writer :-)

You do know that a version of Smart Ram is available in version 6 too?

In the program folder you can find Suo10_SmartRAM.exe

I haven't yet seen it in the program interface - have just begun to use that version - partly to be able to answer questions about it.

But it is possible to make a shortcut for Suo10_SmartRAM.exe on the desktop or elsewhere.

Cheers

solbjerg

Greetings, Solbjerg!

Without "Smart RAM" in the Toolbox (one of ASC's 5-star features), my computer wouldn't function worth a hoot. That's one feature I use frequently to recover RAM in the long hours of researching and writing (the reason for the RAM size), and playing Games to give my re-fried brains a rest. 8:)

Solbjerg, I've found that almost every 'protection' software program differs with the competitors' ... and that includes de-fragging. I use Ccleaner and Auslogics most often. Those two and "Smart De-Frag" each catch items the other two don't. (Under "Care" I keep the 'Privacy Sweep' and 'Junk Files Clean' checked and use them 2-3 times a day, as well as using Explorer's Internet Options to clear the browser cache each time I leave the www. )

Deleting old files and backing up to disk those infrequently used also makes a big difference in having the RAM available ... but I'm sure you know that. :)

Cheers!

Writer JC

• 2 months later...

Brian H

You give absolutely no information regarding which version of ASC you are using.

There is also no info in your User CP. It is now a requirement to complete this info. See this announcement.

So in order for us to assist you please supply the relevant information

Hi Brian H... welcome back! I have read all of your posts.

I run the Registry Scanner in the Toolbox, and it shows various errors while running ... but then vanishes, leaving no list. Clicking Start Fixing is useless, because "No errors were selected"!!!!!!!

Stooopid.

As Scannan requests... you must provide relevant information for us to be able to assist (if you wish the problem to be resolved).:smile: Otherwise your post is maningless as this is a help forum! (We cannot help if you don't want a solution)

By the way, it is spelled "Stupid" not "Stoopid".:shock:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

• 2 months later...

Hi stevehyland

I think that it would be good to hear what sort of solution Microsoft support came up with.

It may help others that misunderstand the meaning of taking a high risk.

Thank you!

Cheers

solbjerg

It certainly confused me a couple of years ago, and resulted in my system crashing. I had to get support from Microsoft to reset.:!:

<snip>I think that it would be good to hear what sort of solution Microsoft support came up with. It may help others that misunderstand the meaning of taking a high risk.

Thank you!

Cheers

solbjerg

Solbjerg,

'Misunderstanding the meaning of TAKING a high risk'?!

The meaning of a registry cleaner that provides a user with HAVING a high risk by KEEPING 'high risk' RESULTS.

In reading "CLEAN UP REGISTRY in depth to improve PC performance" the logical presumption was that IObit would search for and list registry keys that

1) no longer had any function

2) those that posed a threat (high or low)

I F K E P T ALL of which are SAFE TO DELETE.

Every registry cleaner I've had/tried over the last 20+ years has offered users the above -- with results that do NOT include O/S components! "High Risk" means it's dangerous to KEEP; "Low Risk" means you might want to consider getting rid of, but keeping won't endanger your computer (yet.)

IObit does the opposite. In other words, users that opt to delete IObit's results that are deemed "high risk" means DISASTER to the user's computer --It does NOT mean "improving PC performance" to delete O/S components. :|

Writer JC

Intel, Celeron CPU 2.93 GHz

XP Home SP3 32 bit

2.93 GHz, 960 MB RAM

IE (latest version)

Windows Essentials

Bit Defender

DSL (AT&T)

IObit Malware Fighter PRO 1.7

IObit ASC 6.0 PRO

Auslogics Disk Defrag

Auslogics Boost Speed PRO

Ccleaner

Foxit Reader

Registry Cleaner is spot on

I consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to computers and I am always scanning the lists of registry entries to see what is what before deleting . I have been using Advanced system care for a long time now and i delete everything that it turns up and have never had a problem as well as all the people that I praise the program to and tell them to go ahead and do it. (I am not telling every one reading this to do the same as these people are owners of systems I maintain if anything should go wrong)

I have yet to see the last version and this version have anyones system fail from just accepting the registry cleaners suggestion.

Having said that I am still a firm believer in ' If you dont know what it is dont delete it without investigation' Take the time to learn your system it doesnt take long to start to understand the registry and its areas. it looks large and daunting but there are only 4 main areas and it really isnt hard to see whats what after a while. Either that or leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.

You can lead a man to water or you could just kill him and not have to listen to his damn whining anymore

Hi WriterJC

We have for a long time (several years) explained that in the case of High Risk and Low Risk, the meaning in this program means that the High risk items is a little more dangerous to clean away than the Low risk items.

This use of the words is just as valid as the conception that it means that they are highly dangerous to keep.

It just depends from which point you are viewing it.

My guess is that the programmers have found that it in unusual PC configurations can be dangerous to delete some items which they then call (rather logically) the High risk items. Therefore it is wise to go through the items to make sure that you yourself is not one of those with an unusual PC configuration, before deleting the high risk items.

But I agree that the High/low designation is easy to misunderstand, which is why we have been explaining the use of the words for a long time.

If you in the settings refrain from the deep registry cleaning the high/low need not concern you.

The difference in your PC performance will be negligable I think.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I have currently about 10 items which are deemed high risk - 3 of those concerns my keyboard, and I haven't taken the trouble to find out which of those refer to the keyboard I am currently using and which refer to previous keyboards.

Also the other items concerns different version of programs which I haven't neither taken the trouble to investigate.

In those cases I have just asked the program not to delete these items.

One case where I suspect I have made a mistake long ago is my Danish version of the Dvorak keyboard, which I made myself. I suspect that if I want to use that again I will have to install it anew.

No big deal :-)

Solbjerg,

'Misunderstanding the meaning of TAKING a high risk'?!

The meaning of a registry cleaner that provides a user with HAVING a high risk by KEEPING 'high risk' RESULTS.

In reading "CLEAN UP REGISTRY in depth to improve PC performance" the logical presumption was that IObit would search for and list registry keys that

1) no longer had any function

2) those that posed a threat (high or low)

I F K E P T ALL of which are SAFE TO DELETE.

Every registry cleaner I've had/tried over the last 20+ years has offered users the above -- with results that do NOT include O/S components! "High Risk" means it's dangerous to KEEP; "Low Risk" means you might want to consider getting rid of, but keeping won't endanger your computer (yet.)

IObit does the opposite. In other words, users that opt to delete IObit's results that are deemed "high risk" means DISASTER to the user's computer --It does NOT mean "improving PC performance" to delete O/S components. :|

Writer JC

Intel, Celeron CPU 2.93 GHz

XP Home SP3 32 bit

2.93 GHz, 960 MB RAM

IE (latest version)

Windows Essentials

Bit Defender

DSL (AT&T)

IObit Malware Fighter PRO 1.7

IObit ASC 6.0 PRO

Auslogics Disk Defrag

Auslogics Boost Speed PRO

Ccleaner

Foxit Reader

thought of the day/month/year/millenium

Hi All ,

regarding registry clean up,

MY thoughts

IObit should create a back up registry file program,

INDEPENDENT of this function,

which should be run prior to and sent to a named folder,

which could then be accessed/run if and when problems are encountered ;-)

Roy

PS

I do know that further toolbox updates have been shelved

what a shame!!!

Hi scrd

Not a bad idea :-)

Only a function would be needed I think.

And it is actually quite easy to backup the registry or part of the registry from within regedit itself by using the function "export to"

What is often missing is that people forget to do it. :-)

So any endeavor that can make every user that dabbles with the registry choose to make a copy before doing so would be a good thing I suppose. :-)

One might even ask Microsoft to create an automatic copy of the registry before any change that are done manually in the registry.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. if you choose to run the registry database repair (especially the deep "repair") I think it is a wise move to check what the program is set to do in the settings of the program, and then select those items that you want to keep from being "repaired" by unticking them.

p.p.s. The settings in the program should always be scrutinized by the user before running the program, the reason is that no program worth its salt can foresee all possible configurations that individual users can have, hence the possibility of individual settings.

p.p.p.s. Endeavour was the name of Captain Cook's ship - and also the first name of Inspector Morse :-)

Hi All ,

regarding registry clean up,

MY thoughts

IObit should create a back up registry file program,

INDEPENDENT of this function,

which should be run prior to and sent to a named folder,

which could then be accessed/run if and when problems are encountered ;-)

Roy

PS

I do know that further toolbox updates have been shelved

what a shame!!!

• 2 months later...

IObit's answer contradicts the posts in this thread

Hi WriterJC

We have for a long time (several years) explained that in the case of High Risk and Low Risk, the meaning in this program means that the High risk items is a little more dangerous to clean away than the Low risk items...

I was glad I found this thread, but I had already requested an answer from IObit support, before I came here.

I assumed the answers in the thread are correct but, after finally receiving a response from IObit, I don't know what to believe. IObit's answer contradicts the answers in this thread.

Can somebody please enlighten me?

:-D

Here is the email dialog between IObit support and myself:

Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM, AverySays wrote:

Registry cleaner comes up with several items.

I cannot find a reference, anywhere, that explains 'Risk Level'. Does it refer to the risk of keeping an item or the risk of fixing the item?

Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 2:41 AM

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting IObit. This is Maggie from IObit.

When you see the "Risk Level" is high, it means this issue will bring damage to your PC. Thus, you need to fix it to make sure the security of your PC.

Thanks for supporting IObit.

--------------------

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM, AverySays wrote:

Thank you for your response.

I am not sure your answer is correct though.

After contacting you, I found a thread on the forum which indicates that 'risk level' in Registry Cleaner refers to how risky it is to fix an item, not how risky it is to keep an item.

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=12101

This contradicts what you told me.

Could you double-check with somebody and make sure which is the correct answer?

Also, can you find out whether 'risk level' means the same thing in 'Registry Fix', under 'Care' , that it does in 'Registry Cleaner' under 'Toolbox'?

Thank you very much.

--------------------

Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:03 AM

Hi Avery,

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, what I told you is about Registry Fix and I am sure it is correct. For Registry Cleaner, it has the same theory as Registry Fix.

Thus, please do not worry.

Thanks for supporting IObit.

Hi AverySays

Welcome to the Forum, and thank you for a very informative and detailed post.

You are correct to be concerned about this contradiction and I also find it a bit disturbing.

I will PM (Private Message Cicely who is the forum liaison at Iobit, and ask her for some clarificaton. Cicely is excellent and will clear up the confusion, I am sure.

Hi AverySays and Scannan,

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Sorry for any confusions. However, the explainations from the support team Maggie and the discussions in the forum are both right. Because there are two situations for the meaning about " Risk Level".

1) "Risk Level" means the problems found on your PC are serious . E.g.: "High Risk" means the found problems on your PC is serious. If you do not fix them, theywill bring damages on your PC.

2) If by any chance ASC does not detect the problems on your PC correctly, then it may be dangerous to fix the problems on your PC. Thus, when you do not know what you are fixing for the "High Risk" problems on your PC, it is not suggested to fix them.

Yeah, it is a little confusion. We will try to make improvements in ASC v7. :-D

Hi AverySays and Scannan,

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Sorry for any confusions. However, the explainations from the support team Maggie and the discussions in the forum are both right. Because there are two situations for the meaning about " Risk Level".

1) "Risk Level" means the problems found on your PC are serious . E.g.: "High Risk" means the found problems on your PC is serious. If you do not fix them, theywill bring damages on your PC.

2) If by any chance ASC does not detect the problems on your PC correctly, then it may be dangerous to fix the problems on your PC. Thus, when you do not know what you are fixing for the "High Risk" problems on your PC, it is not suggested to fix them.

Yeah, it is a little confusion. We will try to make improvements in ASC v7. :-D

So what you are basically saying is that I should fix high-risk items to prevent damage AND I should not fix high-risk items because ASC might be wrong and I might cause damage?

Maggie said that I should not worry, and that I SHOULD fix the high risk items:

"When you see the "Risk Level" is high, it means this issue will bring damage to your PC. Thus, you need to fix it to make sure the security of your PC."

"Yeah, what I told you is about Registry Fix and I am sure it is correct. For Registry Cleaner, it has the same theory as Registry Fix. Thus, please do not worry."

I'm still left wondering why someone would buy ASC (like I did) to fix their problems, but then have to face this dilemma.

:?: :!:

registry fixes

Hi Avery,

please see my post No8 in this thread.

I do believe that Iobit are doing thier best.

However as you are using a 64bit comp which also use 32bit programmes,

WEIRD IS'NT IT.

Any registry change within System32 and >>>WOW64<<< in your case, which are MASTER MS files, could cause major problems

registry fix >>> is not the only tool available<<< and should be used with care, most use it for the other functions.

Roy

Hi AverySays

I agree with you that it is a very confusing situation for users. Hopefully Iobit will improve the situation in ASC7.

I very rarely run the Registry fix and when I do, I do not repair the High Risk items.

I have the Deep Clean disabled and I allow the Autocare to take care of everything, and I have not had any issues. I think once you do not use the Deep Clean that you will be ok.

Thanks to Cicely for the quick action.

Thanks for the input

Hi AverySays

I agree with you that it is a very confusing situation for users. Hopefully Iobit will improve the situation in ASC7.

I very rarely run the Registry fix and when I do, I do not repair the High Risk items.

I have the Deep Clean disabled and I allow the Autocare to take care of everything, and I have not had any issues. I think once you do not use the Deep Clean that you will be ok.

Thanks to Cicely for the quick action.

Yes, thanks to both of you. I have now adopted the same policy with regard to Deep Scan. It just makes me nervous that my last scan, with Deep Scan enabled, detected 308 registry problems and 220 of them were from Deep Scan just waiting to rise up and devour my soul.

:lol:

I've found that Most of the found Registry problems are Small Extra (left-over) bits of data that do Not slow the computer,

since those are Not accessed by any programs.

And since they are so small they do Not use much Drive-space.

• 2 months later...

personally

i always delete whatever comes up like ludors from the first page did as well~ never had any issues, do it daily scan like a mean machine and delete whatever gets in myy way~ only thing I Ever had to be careful with would be cloned files , id keep safe mode on for that one. learned hard way tweakin and deleting to startin all over from being a tinker magician. but personally IObits advanced system care has been solid from the get go IMO. :mrgreen:

Archived