IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Send Your Feedback for Smart Defrag 3

itobe

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi dv8cowboy,

Wow, I really want to show you the final version of Smart Defrag 3, but I can not.

But I promise the final version is really improved a lot. ;-) And it will be released in 2 weeks.

I am glad that the final version will be released in two weeks, I believe it will be the best.

VSS compatibility

Hi,

What about a VSS compatibility option to avoid the loss of restoration points in Win 7? For example Auslogic Disk Defrag, Diskeeper and PerfectDisk have an algoritm to defragment in VSS compatible mode.

With Smart Degfrag 3, using Prioritize option, all my restoration point dissappeared.

thanks for commenting

Hi,

What about a VSS compatibility option to avoid the loss of restoration points in Win 7? For example Auslogic Disk Defrag, Diskeeper and PerfectDisk have an algoritm to defragment in VSS compatible mode.

With Smart Degfrag 3, using Prioritize option, all my restoration point dissappeared.

thanks for commenting

If you use prioritization option on Smart Defrag 3 theoretical restore points should not disappear. In any case try to create a restore point manually

If you use prioritization option on Smart Defrag 3 theoretical restore points should not disappear. In any case try to create a restore point manually

Hi

I will wait the release of the stable version to try it. But until now the program seem to be not designed to work in full compatibility with restore points. It should be good a VSS compatible mode option in Setting then the user can select it or not.

Hi Laptop,

Did you try unchecking the checkbox of "Replace Windows Disk Defragmenter (Recommended)" in Settings?

I think that should remove it when you re-start the PC. If not removed by that move, then there is a bug there.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

http://puu.sh/6cOLM/73d11f68ab.png

Still there.

My feedback on SD 3 beta 2

I installed SD 3 beta 2 on two desktops and one laptop, all with Win7 SP1 in spanish language, here are my feedback:

1) When a USB drive is removed, and if the program GUI is open, the USB drive is still displayed in SD. This does not happen if the program GUI is closed (if the program GUI is closed and a USB drive is removed, when the GUI is opened the USB drive no longer appears, which is ok)

2) Then if analyze or defrag is attempted on the “phantom” drive, SD do nothing but after stopping then SD no longer offer the Analyze or Defrag options for any of the available drives, the option remains greyed. Also noted that the tray icon shows animation, like SD doing something (perhaps working on the phantom drive). The only solution is to restart SD (Attached is a screenshot)

3) SSD are similar to USB flash drives, but it would be great and a better approach to let SD autodetect USB Flash, also in case SD identifies incorrectly a drive to also add the option to “Recognize this disk as USB Flash” among “Recognize this disk as SSD”

4) Still SD only starts and run with the user that installed it, it’s a must that SD also starts with any other user. The best approach I think would be that SD run as a service, but for now a “all users installation” option would be a great workaround

5) With SD2 the map displayed several unmovable blocks, now with SD3 there are no unmovable blocks, what does this means? That SD 3 is now able to defrag/optimize what SD2 flagged as unmovable? Or just SD3 is hiding the unmovable blocks and they are not displayed on the map?. (and perhaps ignored by SD3)

6) What about SD also check the disks health (SMART) and Temperature?

7) What about that SD based on the disk health, suggest when a chkdisk must be performed? And eventually that SD could automatically trigger that event? (also let the user decide if SD automatically trigger chkdisk or just notify that a chkdisk is suggested)

8) Does SD 3 is able to suggest when a “fast optimize”, “Fully optimize” and “Prioritize files” must be performed? (based on the disks performance), if not then I think that would be a neat feature

9) Boot time defrag settings are restored to default (recommended) after computer is rebooted (settings are not saved)

Oh BTW I noticed that all my 3 computers are faster and more responsive :-D

It's important to mention that after installing SD 3 beta 2, in the 3 computers I performed a boot defrag for C drive, then when windows started I immediately performed a "Defrag and prioritize files".

Also in my laptop I was using PerfectDisk 13, I uninstalled it and after installing SD 3 beta 2, performing the boot defrag and the prioritize; I rebooted again and noticed a significant improvements in the boot time :mrgreen:

I'm really impressed of how SD 3 works, and it's amazing that it outperformed PerfectDisk 13! even with all the bells and whistles that Raxco claims of it's software.

IObit, congratulations and keep making SD the best disk defragmenter and optimization available.

it's important to also avoid turning SD into a bloatware (like several commercial defragmenters are today)

I know that you will certainly be able to implement user's suggestions without bloating SD.

Cheers!

Hi ektorbarajas,

Sincerely thanks for your suggestions and feedbacks. Happy to hear hat you love our New Smart Defrag 3. Cheers. :-D And I will report your suggestions to our product team for consideration.

According to your feedbacks, please give us the following details to help us look into the issues that you mentioned:

a) For the second issue " Then if analyze or defrag is attempted on the “phantom” drive, SD do nothing but after stopping then SD no longer offer the Analyze or Defrag options for any of the available drives", please describe it more clearly with related screenshots.

b) For the last issue about " Boot time defrag settings ", does it happens every time? Also, does the first issue about " USB drive" happens every time?

Looking forward to your reply.

Hi ektorbarajas,

Sincerely thanks for your suggestions and feedbacks. Happy to hear hat you love our New Smart Defrag 3. Cheers. :-D And I will report your suggestions to our product team for consideration.

According to your feedbacks, please give us the following details to help us look into the issues that you mentioned:

a) For the second issue " Then if analyze or defrag is attempted on the “phantom” drive, SD do nothing but after stopping then SD no longer offer the Analyze or Defrag options for any of the available drives", please describe it more clearly with related screenshots.

b) For the last issue about " Boot time defrag settings ", does it happens every time? Also, does the first issue about " USB drive" happens every time?

Attached is a screenshot for the issue #2. On that screenshot you can see that even that I have checked the C drive and it’s highlighted the buttons for analyze and defrag are disabled. I'm unable to perform such operations in ANY drive. And while that happens the tray icon shows the animation like SD is doing something. (the phantom defrag on the phantom drive)

This happens every time that the GUI is open and a USB drive is removed, the removed drive is still displayed in SD GUI and SD allows to click analyze and defrag for that removed drive.

So in order to stop that phantom defrag, SD must be restated (close the tray icon and open again).

I also noticed that if SD GUI is open and a USB drive is connected, it's not displayed; you have to close and open again the GUI for the drive to appear in SD. I think that SD should automatically refresh after a USB drive removal or insertion.

About issue #9, I further test it and seems to work fine, just when you choose “only next boot”, after the reboot the setting goes to the default of every 7 days, so I guess its working. But perhaps add an option to completely disable boot time? So if a user only wants to do a defrag on the next boot but then never again?

I've also noticed that sometimes. when a USB drive is removed, just by closing and reopening the GUI the drive is removed from SD, but other times even after doing that, the removed USB is still displayed in SD.

This happens at a random basis.

Another issues I've just noticed is that for USB drives, the "recognize as SSD" setting is not saved, so if you remove and reinsert that drive SD still detects it as a HDD, I guess that this change (HDD or SDD) must be stored by SD based on the USB drive unique ID.

Cheers

Hi ektorbarajas,

Thanks for your continual reply.

For the USB issue, have you ticked " Do not display removable drives"? Please refer to the attachment.

For the issue #2, does it happen every time? If it does, please tell us the steps one by one to help us repeat the issue.

Thanks in advance. :-D

Hi Cicely.

If I select "do not display removable drives", the changes are not reflected immediately, I have to completely close SD (from the tray icon, not just the GUI) and open it again, then just the local drives are displayed.

But that is for no use for me, since I have EHDD that would like to be monitored and worked by SD.

Also If I disable the "do not display removable drives", I have to completely close SD and reopen again, since the changes are not reflected immediately.

I guess that SD must refresh automatically, with the change of "do not display removable drives" AND with a USB drive insertion/removal. That will avoid the issue if analyzing or defragmenting a phantom drive.

About that issue (issue #2 on my post), here are the steps to recreate it:

Pre-requisites: To have attached a EHDD, so that SD detect it and display it

1) Open SD GUI

2) SD GUI should display the EHDD

3) Without closing SD GUI, proceed to safely remove the EHDD

4) Disconnect the EHDD

5) SD GUI keeps displaying the EHDD (even that it was removed)

6) Perform an "Analyze" or "Defrag" on the phantom EHDD

7) SD tray icon display an animation like doing something but the GUI displays nothing

8) back on the GUI press stop on the phantom drive

9) but still the tray icon displays an animation like SD doing something

10) back again on the GUI, you're no longer able to perform an analyze or defrag to any drive (local or external), due to the phantom process that SD just started.

11) so the only option is to completely close SD (GUI and tray icon) and reopen SD again

Hope I was clear enough :wink:

EDIT: I believe using "non existent drive" or "the drive which is not connected to the computer" instead of "phantom drive" may be more clearly understood. :razz::wink: enoskype

Regarding SD and multiple users accounts

Regarding SD and multiple users accounts:

I've noticed that SD 3 beta 2 can be started from another user account, even if the program was installed by other user. I remember that SD 2 was different, only the user that installed it was able to run it.

BUT I also noticed that the settings defined by the user who installed the program do not appear if the program is started from another user account, when another user starts the program it appears as a new installation.

My guess is that SD 3 beta 2 stores the setting in the user's profile folders.

Would be great to fix this so that SD starts and runs with any other user AND the settings are shared among all the users.

Regards

It works good enough, except

I used the metro app defrag, now I can't launch them, Honestly there's not much else to say, no error message, Nothing. Hope you guys fix this, also if anyone know how to fix it, let me know, was thinking about using the windows 8 repair disc :cry:

SD GUI must me able to diplay more than 4 drives

I noticed that no matter of what size you set the GUI, the max number of drives displayed are 4, if you have more than 4 you're not able to move the division in the GUI so that more than 4 drives are displayed.

In my case sometimes I have a total of 6 drives (local, EHDD and USB Flash) and I'd like to move that division.

Attached is a screenshot to explain this

Hi

I will wait the release of the stable version to try it. But until now the program seem to be not designed to work in full compatibility with restore points. It should be good a VSS compatible mode option in Setting then the user can select it or not.

I tried the stable version 3.0.3.289 and the issue persist, this is when using "Defrag and Prioritize Files" mode, all restore point dissappear. I observed it in the second Defrag and Prioritize defragmentation after installed the program, too. Therefore it seem to be that it does not have a VSS compatible algoritm to prevent that. It would be good if next versions can contain that feature.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

slow

been using smartdefrag since the early days, but final version SD3 [did not use beta version] runs very slow on windows 7 starter 32 bit on a netbook a lot slower than prev versions defragged 1.2% fragmented to 0.0 in defrag and optimise. [also had to reload several times the size of default load was too big for netbook screen could not access top of SD to resize]

Not tried on w8 as I recently ran the defrag at bootup and w8 no longer boots up nor will a recovery disc help stuck in reboot loop. no idea if SD at fault or a hardware problem and SD running by chance but its gone for warranty repair.[had a small memory chip on the hdd where windows was loaded a very fast laptop or was]

Hi sunny staines ,

Thanks for your feedback.

For the issue" Not tried on w8 as I recently ran the defrag at bootup and w8 no longer boots up nor will a recovery disc help stuck in reboot loop", please feel assured to run Smart Defrag final version on it. Because we have tested stability and fixed the beta bugs.

For the defrag speed, we would like to say it depends on which type of the defrag methods that you selected. Generally, Smart Defrag 3 is 50% faster than SD2. But Defrag and Prioritize Files will be a little slower.

For the bigger size, we just want to let the seniors can read it carefully. And you can reset the size to your favorites.

If you have any other issue or suggestions, please feel free to tell us.

• 1 month later...