IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Send Your Feedback for Smart Defrag 3

itobe

Great care must be taken regarding ssd defragging and or optimisation. An ssd is not like a normal HD, in that an ssd has a finite number of read/write cycles, and the more you read/write the shorter the lifespan of the ssd. So defragging/optimisation would have a serious impact on the ssd lifespan.

SSDs should not be defragmented for the reason stated above and because data is not intentionally written sequentially on any drive. On a HDD drive because of the moving parts it is good idea to defrag files in order to put the entire file together on the HDD. This speeds up reading of and writing to the file. However since there are no moving parts on a SSD drive no benefit is gained by defragmenting it and defragmenting a SSD wears it out as pointed out by @Scannan. There is however benefit gained by using the "TRIM" command that is avialable with most SSDs. If your SSD does not have that function one can use a third party app to "TRIM" the SSD

Understanding SSDs: the need for TRIM, overprovisioning, and more

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RJK75

It is a worry to hear that Smart Defrag removed a restore point. This should not happen. Defragging should never remove a file. I think you should take this issue up with Iobit directly. You can do this by sending an email to support@iobit.com. You should make the email for the attention of Cicely, and you should reference this thread in your email.

Octavian

Just to clarify for you, that defragging does not remove data and or files. Defragging simply takes files that have been laid onto the disc in seperate pieces due to sector availability. Te defrag reallocates the space on the disc and joins fragmented files so that each file is contiguous (in one piece) on the disc.

Hi Octavian and RJK75

SmartDefrag only defrags and optimizes if this option is chosen - it does not clean.

To have this happen I think you will have to run the cleaning operation in ASC and also the SmartDefrag option at the same time.

It would then be the settings for cleaning in ASC that are the culprit in your case, I think. In ASC you have an exclusion list to use.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Hi Scannan - we apparently wrote at the same time! Cheers solbjerg

p.p.s. I wonder if you have chosen the setting to replace Windows defragmenter in SD? If you have I doubt that Windows will list the defragmentations that SmartDefrag performs? They will probably be available in SmartDefrag? Just a guess at this point.

Smart Defrag must have exclusion list that can be added a specific restore point to not be cleaned or a feature that should be checked to avoid clean restore points.

p.s.

hi

I added some p.s.'

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Octavian and RJK75

SmartDefrag only defrags and optimizes if this option is chosen - it does not clean.

To have this happen I think you will have to run the cleaning operation in ASC and also the SmartDefrag option at the same time.

It would then be the settings for cleaning in ASC that are the culprit in your case, I think. In ASC you have an exclusion list to use.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Hi Scannan - we apparently wrote at the same time! Cheers solbjerg

p.p.s. I wonder if you have chosen the setting to replace Windows defragmenter in SD? If you have I doubt that Windows will list the defragmentations that SmartDefrag performs? They will probably be available in SmartDefrag? Just a guess at this point.

Bug with SSD

Good day!

I have installed SSD drive (local disk "C") and two HDD drives (other local disks) in RAID0 on Intel Rapid Stotage controller. SD since version 2 up to version 3 Beta recognize all drives as SSD (see screenshot). Defragmentation of drives "D", "E" and "F" is impossible. Sorry for my english...

http://i58.fastpic.ru/big/2013/1203/99/c94f21db2b6fbac9b8b4bd3e50560d99.png

Hi Scannan, thanks for the tip. Specified topic as read. But the problem is not solved: I can manually specify the type of disk, but defragmentation does not work. SD sees the disk as empty (0 files and 0 folders). What else can I try?

http://i58.fastpic.ru/big/2013/1203/17/936e7461ddb6d0761b63f87994afff17.png

Hi Scannan, thanks for the tip. Specified topic as read. But the problem is not solved: I can manually specify the type of disk, but defragmentation does not work. SD sees the disk as empty (0 files and 0 folders). What else can I try?

http://i58.fastpic.ru/big/2013/1203/17/936e7461ddb6d0761b63f87994afff17.png

This is a big issue if it shows total files to be zero after analyzing.

great new features and ui is really new and clean

EDIT: I have moved the post here from News & Offers as this is feedback and not related to News & Offers. Please post in the correct thread/forum.

Sorry for the mistake.

The new prioritize defrag feature is good addition.

you should consider changing the screenshot from v2

EDIT:I intended it to be sent here and not there but somehow it went there

EDIT: I have moved the post here from News & Offers as this is feedback and not related to News & Offers. Please post in the correct thread/forum.